hannibaldaplaya

Hunting- It better be damn hard

They should make items like different animal calls , and that could be the only way to get animals to come in close enough to shoot. OR if you do a call a pack of wolves will come after you lol idk but an idea to add.  THat would be cool

I like the bullet damage idea. Depending on the shot placement youll get more or less meat.

But it needs to be a little challanging on certain animals.

I hope it's not just about running around with fireaxes and catching the animals up in a second. It should be like real hunting.

Err... we don't eat nearly enough in this game to be perfectly honest. Nowhere near the amount of calories needed to fuel your body.

Sure you can go a couple of days without seeing animals when hunting, on the other hand a mature buck will feed you for a long time. A hog even longer. Well that is to say if you can prevent the fresh meat from spoiling without refrigeration or curing. 

Human body can survive an average of 3 weeks without food. No, we don't eat too much, but we should be able to survive for a much longer time.

• Like 1

Err... we don't eat nearly enough in this game to be perfectly honest. Nowhere near the amount of calories needed to fuel your body.

Sure you can go a couple of days without seeing animals when hunting, on the other hand a mature buck will feed you for a long time. A hog even longer. Well that is to say if you can prevent the fresh meat from spoiling without refrigeration or curing.

Well a can of beans is about 330 calories ... How many cans are needed to make you full?

Even if we are not eating enough, it takes a hell of a long time to starve to death. Unlike the few hours in this game. So it is likely that the hunting in the game is relatively easy.

Biggest challenges to making hunting important/relevant :

1- Small Game: you need time to catch small game if using snares. Time that you don't have based on the current hunger mechanism. And why bother taking the time setting snares when you can collect food in cities.

2- Big game: you need a gun. If you have spent enough time in cities to find a gun, you have plenty of food.

If you change the hunger mechanic so you have longer to eat, so much so that you can find guns and ammo in the city, what is the point of hunting.

Please understand that I am thrilled that they are adding hunting to the game. I just don't see how they can make it relevant without making it gamey or destroying the enjoyability of the game.

Edited by Admiral_69

This guy has so many beans for his post he doesnt need hunting. But i agree fully with him. Hunting needs to be hard.

• Like 4

This guy has so many beans for his post he doesnt need hunting. But i agree fully with him. Hunting needs to be hard.

Edit: double post, not sure how to delete.

Edited by NinjaTurkey

Human body can survive an average of 3 weeks without food. No, we don't eat too much, but we should be able to survive for a much longer time.

An average person also needs about 1800 kcal (of course it varies with age, height, weight, gender) per day (or ~7500 kJ) to properly maintain their body's functions without engaging in any kind of physical activity. But if you feel that you can sprint and jog with a backpack and not eating for 3 weeks, while still maintaining your mental stability, cognitive abilities and physique. Sure you can survive for 3 weeks, you can even survive for 70 days without food, the longest is 94 days I believe.

Now I've never starved to death in this game, cause that seems to be pretty much impossible (it doesn't take much food to get energized), so I don't know how long that takes but I will try on experimental someday though. It might very well be that it's too easy (or takes too short a-time) to starve to death, but we definitely need to eat more in game cause as it is now... it doesn't add up at all. The hunger/hydration system is seriously... flawed and it definitely needs to be fixed, I guess it will be with weight and stamina implemented though, if it will be implemented.

All of this is slightly off-topic though.

Totally unnecessary to the thread or the conversation

Roughly counting (can't be too sure since there isn't any weight system in game), the gear my character carries is of the same weight that I myself carry when I'm out ~18kg, I eat about 4000 kcal per day (I personally am supposed to eat ~1800 with very little activity, according to Harris-Benedict, the rest comes from the walking itself) when I walk in a steady pace for about 20 km with that weight and that's pretty much breaking even, well I've usually lost weight by the end of the first week. A can of baked beans (Heinz) has about 320 kcal, you do the math (or I'll do it for you, that's approximately 12 cans of baked beans that I would have to eat... per day. In DayZ I've probably not even eaten one can in a day, other than the initial - get up to energised portion of it).

Edited by LeChat
  • Like 1

An average person also needs about 1800 kcal (of course it varies with age, height, weight, gender) per day (or ~7500 kJ) to properly maintain their body's functions without engaging in any kind of physical activity. But if you feel that you can sprint and jog with a backpack and not eating for 3 weeks, while still maintaining your mental stability, cognitive abilities and physique. Sure you can survive for 3 weeks, you can even survive for 70 days without food, the longest is 94 days I believe.

Now I've never starved to death in this game, cause that seems to be pretty much impossible (it doesn't take much food to get energized), so I don't know how long that takes but I will try on experimental someday though. It might very well be that it's too easy (or takes too short a-time) to starve to death, but we definitely need to eat more in game cause as it is now... it doesn't add up at all. The hunger/hydration system is seriously... flawed and it definitely needs to be fixed, I guess it will be with weight and stamina implemented though, if it will be implemented.

All of this is slightly off-topic though.

Totally unnecessary to the thread or the conversation

Roughly counting (can't be too sure since there isn't any weight system in game), the gear my character carries is of the same weight that I myself carry when I'm out ~18kg, I eat about 4000 kcal per day (I personally am supposed to eat ~1800 with very little activity, according to Harris-Benedict, the rest comes from the walking itself) when I walk in a steady pace for about 20 km with that weight and that's pretty much breaking even, well I've usually lost weight by the end of the first week. A can of baked beans (Heinz) has about 320 kcal, you do the math (or I'll do it for you, that's approximately 12 cans of baked beans that I would have to eat... per day. In DayZ I've probably not even eaten one can in a day, other than the initial - get up to energised portion of it).

I died of starvation in my first playthrough. It took, at most, 2 hours. I was brand new to dayz and did know jack. Note you didn't start hungry back then.

I also starved on the high pop experimental servers. Started near the large fuel tank South of Berezino. Everything was almost completely looted. Didn't make it much past the north of Berezino (searching desperately for overlooked food, found a can, but no way to open it).

And thank you for that last line. The point I am trying to make is hunting will not work for a new spawn. If food is too hard to find you will starve to death while looking for the tools to hunt. If you find enough food in the city to survive, why spend time hunting...

Finally, if hunting is too hard, why not server hop for food.

Why the hell do you want do make everything so difficult, goddamit, stealthy hunting, just sneak on the animal and shoot it in the neck, and even if you do alert the fucker, still spray bullets to the head, no special experience, any gun does the job, it takes no pro to do that, oh, and a deer can give food for days.

There's a difference between making it realistic and making it hard.

DayZ is one of the easiest games ever when you learn how the mechanics work.

Also, I wouldn't expect animals to be fully developed when they are implemented.

Why the hell do you want do make everything so difficult, goddamit, stealthy hunting, just sneak on the animal and shoot it in the neck, and even if you do alert the fucker, still spray bullets to the head, no special experience, any gun does the job, it takes no pro to do that, oh, and a deer can give food for days.

Also, I wouldn't expect animals to be fully developed when they are implemented.

This guy has never been outside much less tried to hunt a whitetail buck.

C'mon DayZ IRL......

Would cull the gene pool in a long overdue kind of way.

• Like 3

ITS OK! MAYBE THEY WILL GIVE DEARS LMGS AND BATS TO HUNT US WITH! 8D

Dude, seriously check out the video post i put in this page. XD

I really hope audible effects come into play when hunting.  Such as snapping twigs/branches when stepping on them that may cause the animals to become alert and scatter.  

• Like 2

I really hope audible effects come into play when hunting.  Such as snapping twigs/branches when stepping on them that may cause the animals to become alert and scatter.  

Hunting near cities is going to be a big no no lol. Can you imagine shooting an animal than being gang raped by a crack zombie that sees you over 2 miles away? XD

Hunting near cities is going to be a big no no lol. Can you imagine shooting an animal than being gang raped by a crack zombie that sees you over 2 miles away? XD

Hey, if someone is stupid enough to do it, then I don't see the problem :p

Hey, if someone is stupid enough to do it, then I don't see the problem :P

I can already see post saying "Hunting is retarded. I shot a rabbit and a zombie spawned 2 feet in front of me." XD

• Like 1

Yes, this will be awesome, but if they can't do zombies right, Idk

Yes, this will be awesome, but if they can't do zombies right, Idk

Zombie rabbits!

• Like 5

I was not expecting so many beans for this post.

Clearly the forum wants realistic hunting. I don't see how anyone can enjoy braindead animals!

If DayZ has the same hunting as it did in the mod or the same hunting we saw in Far Cry 3, so help me god...

I want hunting in DayZ to be an experience where you have to be careful. You have to be patient and quiet. You have to move in a way that will not alert nearby animals and your best bet is to come upon one that doesn't notice you.

I want hunting in DayZ to be mainly stealth based. I don't want to see people with LMG's just going into the woods and spraying down a herd of deer and being able to eat for two weeks.

I also would like it so that you have to be careful about your shots.

Bullets ruin gear on dead players.

Bullets can ruin meat on dead animals.

This will force you to be accurate and precise if you want the most food. You don't want to eat some steak with bullet fragments in it!

do you know that you can hunt sheeps ,cows and pigs right? They dont need skill .You are talking about wolfs and bears but why hunt these when you can feed yourself with rabbits

If DayZ has the same hunting as it did in the mod or the same hunting we saw in Far Cry 3, so help me god...

I want hunting in DayZ to be an experience where you have to be careful. You have to be patient and quiet. You have to move in a way that will not alert nearby animals and your best bet is to come upon one that doesn't notice you.

I want hunting in DayZ to be mainly stealth based. I don't want to see people with LMG's just going into the woods and spraying down a herd of deer and being able to eat for two weeks.

This will force you to be accurate and precise if you want the most food. You don't want to eat some steak with bullet fragments in it!

You may have my beans sir.

I would be fun to shoot a rabbit with my 12 gauge.

PUFFFF Fur all over the place HAHA!

Now getting serious, I totally agree, hunting should be that.. Hunting, not throwing a grenade in the center of the pack and voila!! let's open a meat shop!

Now for real I get serious, hope to see the hunting aspect well implemented, it's what I've been waiting for months, until that happens I'm refraining from playing unless the exp. servers are up like now.

Also on this, we need animals that will fight back if given the opportunity. 

Do you know how many people each year die to deer, bear, and wolf attacks?

Neat and intelligent post + Beans

If hunting took hours to do in game, what would be the point of doing it? I could walk into town, and after looting the entire food I'll have some food to spare to last me for a bit and it wouldn't take me to long. I'm not saying hunting shouldn't require stealth, and fines, but it shouldn't take two hours to do.  

Edited by irichey25

There needs to be better stealth in this game full stop. Then we can have difficult hunting.

If the animals are anything like zombies then they will see you at the same distance whether you are crouched or prone. 

I would love a system that takes this into account, along with camouflage (for hunting at least). I'm not sure how it could be worked, but perhaps items of clothing could be giving a camouflage rating which when totaled up affects the distance at which animals can see you.