hannibaldaplaya

Hunting- It better be damn hard

Bullets ruin gear on dead players.

Bullets can ruin meat on dead animals.

This will force you to be accurate and precise if you want the most food. You don't want to eat some steak with bullet fragments in it!

This would be awesome.  Have some beans

If DayZ has the same hunting as it did in the mod or the same hunting we saw in Far Cry 3, so help me god...

I want hunting in DayZ to be an experience where you have to be careful. You have to be patient and quiet. You have to move in a way that will not alert nearby animals and your best bet is to come upon one that doesn't notice you.

I want hunting in DayZ to be mainly stealth based. I don't want to see people with LMG's just going into the woods and spraying down a herd of deer and being able to eat for two weeks.

I also would like it so that you have to be careful about your shots.

Bullets ruin gear on dead players.

Bullets can ruin meat on dead animals.

This will force you to be accurate and precise if you want the most food. You don't want to eat some steak with bullet fragments in it!

brilliant post and i totally agree, i was going to open a thread about this and talk about what you have put...you just saved me some time ;) :beans:

• Like 3

That being said, shooting a wild boar with a 7.62 is a lot different than shooting the rabbit with a 7.62, you're probably going to get enough meat from a wild boar that shooting such a large meaty animal isn't going to affect the amount of food you get or ruin too much, but the rabbit on the other hand...

Also not sure if you've eaten game bird before, but occasionally finding shot in the meat isn't exactly a rarity.

• Like 3

Have some beans OP.

Hunting does need to be an art form as it is in real life. As it stood in the mod it was embarrassingly easy.

The harder the better IMO for most of the survival elements. 

I personally would like to see a fully developed agrarian system implemented from seed to final harvest. Finding random patches of potatoes in the North would be sweet and a dead give away for a nearby campsite.

• Like 6

Have some beans OP.

Hunting does need to be an art form as it is in real life. As it stood in the mod it was embarrassingly easy.

The harder the better IMO for most of the survival elements. 

I personally would like to see a fully developed agrarian system implemented from seed to final harvest. Finding random patches of potatoes in the North would be sweet and a dead give away for a nearby campsite.

potatoes are your best bet in eastern europe.

Find one, make it grow roots and wait for some time ...

• Like 2

potatoes are your best bet in eastern europe.

Find one, make it grow roots and wait for some time ...

Yessir - growing potatoes is basically that easy. One of the easiest things to farm IMO. They are a fairly robust plant that can take a lot of abuse and survive fairly extreme temperatures.

I would love to have me a venison and potato stew in-game.

On topic - I would like to see the deer stands actually be useful as elevated hides for hunting.

Edited by AryanBoogeyman

Given how zombies can detect us from incredible distances, animals might be able to detect us from a similar distance, run away, and leave us all to starve. Then it might take us about 400 threads of "deer are impossible to catch because they see me through mountains and run" before hunting works. We would also need a Crysis 3 style crossbow to even come close to killing the super deer. Proper hunting may come in 2018.

• Like 1

Red Dead Redemption was the closest to perfecting this and the hunting in even that game was still abit too easy.  But, it had things like you suggested such as ruined meat.

I suggest the devs use RDR as inspiration for the open-world hunting and build off that while maintaining a focus on making it much more realistic.

I suppose hunting will be super easy in the start. With animals brainlessly standing/walking around.

I do agree though, it should be somewhat of a challenge, else it would probably achieve the opposite of what it is supposed to do and make survivng easy and dull.

Even more stealthy than this, I think.

Should be [crouched/prone and moving with weapon ready and "shift" pressed] + 20% slower.

;)

I want hunting in DayZ to be mainly stealth based.

This should be not limited only on hunting.

Zombies could use a detection-system as well stealth

based,because let's face it...now they have xrays and can see

you drinking a smoothie in US form Bangonk.I want the old mod feeling

which made me shit-myself when i saw one of them charging me and next thing

i know the whole city is on my ass :) .

• Like 4

I read that they were thinking of adding bears...

Imagine you killed one..and you wanted the meat and fur. Unless you had a large vehicle - you wouldn't be able to move it. You would need to harvest it right there where it died - whether that's in the middle of an open field or not.

While the action may be automatic - like pressing "F" and scrolling to get "Meat & Fur" or whatever - the length of time that it takes should be fairly long. It shouldn't be just press "F" and two seconds later you have bear burger and a new coat.

It should take some time - time which you are vulnerable to bandits, zeds, and\or whatever else. You'll then need to move all that you harvested - the meat must be cooked -eating raw gives a variable sickness probability (like rotten fruit does -but greater) and the fur coat, hat or whatever else must be made with a kit.

I'll be severely disappointed if they just allow you to shoot a bear or deer and instantly stick everything in your backpack...lol

Edited by doctor3d
  • Like 2

Yes, I made a post awhile back that got little attention about this.

I want hunting to be very hard, not so hard that its pointless to have in the came, but if you are sprinting through the woods, or even jogging you should not see any animals because lets face it that is exactly how it is in real-life

However a mild walk or even better a very slow walk would suffice.

I remember back in deer season during late archery I was walking, the snow was super crunchy and I came across two deer, I got closer and closer nearly a cars length away before my head brushed against a twig and both of them bolted.

Another day the snow was so crunchy that I saw nothing because they could hear me coming from a mile away.

So make it so there is plenty of deer spawning, they just have acute hearing and sight. Because deer defenetly have that in real life. Now somehow also make them color blind -lol-

• Like 1

just let me run through the woods with the m4

hunting will always be easy

having to sneak up/track/wait for the prey depends on server load and the animal AI

• Like 1

Would be great if animals could smell you and ofc hear you.

I doubt it will be as simple as the mod, according to Rocket's livestreams and such they have brought in an entire hunting simulator dev team to work on animal AI and other stuff.

I hope so.

But Im afraid it will be no different from the mod.

At least at first. Im sure they will tweak it in for further realism once in Beta, but Im just guessing.

I hope so.

But Im afraid it will be no different from the mod.

At least at first. Im sure they will tweak it in for further realism once in Beta, but Im just guessing.

Naw they NEED deer's with baseball bats chasing you if you fail the shoot. XD

• Like 2

Well, the problem with making it realistic is you will starve to death long before you ever see an animal...

I mean wtf, a human can go weeks without food IRL, but in this game you can starve in a couple of hours.

Also, the availability of game would be dependent on zombie activity. Are they actively eating the animals? How long has it been since everything started? Once human pressures are removed animals breed like crazy.

Well, the problem with making it realistic is you will starve to death long before you ever see an animal...

I mean wtf, a human can go weeks without food IRL, but in this game you can starve in a couple of hours.

Also, the availability of game would be dependent on zombie activity. Are they actively eating the animals? How long has it been since everything started? Once human pressures are removed animals breed like crazy.

I agree.

I think as long as you keep yourself fully hydrated, you should be able to last much much longer until you starve to death.

The time it takes now would only make sense to me if you had not had any water at all, but as long as you have a hydrated status, you should be able to last quite awhile IMO.

Err... we don't eat nearly enough in this game to be perfectly honest. Nowhere near the amount of calories needed to fuel your body.

Sure you can go a couple of days without seeing animals when hunting, on the other hand a mature buck will feed you for a long time. A hog even longer. Well that is to say if you can prevent the fresh meat from spoiling without refrigeration or curing.