Sign in to follow this  
bw_spectre

The first 3 dayz in DayZ - my story.

I bought standalone 3 days ago, at first i was as confused as i could be.. 

After getting my settings and bindings right, i was arrested, forcefeed with rotten fruits and disinfectant and whatnot, tortured, abused, executed, looted.

But after learning the basics at the first day, i was heading for some gear the second day, now i managed to get some good loot from an "empty" server, there was 4 players including me.

I had wondered throughout many military bases and airstrip, into the biggest airfield far in the inland, i had hit a gold vein, the barracks had all i needed. I had full gear, mosin with pristine long range scope,

all the ammo in the world as well as food and tactical/armor camo clothing, all cherries on the pie. After checking the last barrack, i was heading for the police station.

I found even more ammo, and decided i would check the upstairs before logging and changing into an actual full server to test my new mosin sniper... I was half way up the staircase.

I had checked the platform behind me and all of the downstair areas, no other players there, and i didnt expect there to be as there was only 3 players besides me in the server, BUT

somehow, at the middle of the staircase i get headshotted by a mosin from long range, through the window that is facing the staircase, black screen, im dead. many hours of running and looting, for nothing..

Im assuming the guy either was looking at that particular window from far away, for a looong time, or hacks, since the shot was near impossible.

However, i decided to have another go in gearing up the next day, me and my new buddy that i randomly became friends with, by actually trusting him not to shoot me in the back, had looted pretty much all military bases from an empty server, now we were again, full gear.

Just from the new military base, we arrived in the same airfield, the big one. I was standing still for maybe 3-5 seconds at the edge of the runway, when i heard my buddy warn me about a zombie behind me. It had been a weird day, non-stop rain, and rediculous amount of zombies everywhere, with rediculously large aggro range, well, i notice the zombie hitting me from behind, and i killed it with my M4, i started bleeding, so ofcourse im immediately bandaging myself, while im bandaging the same zombie that just hit me, respawned right next to me, hits me 1 more time and... 

BLACK SCREEN: YOURE DEAD. So i was killed by a zombie, that hit me 2 times! (should be impossible) I was not ready to lose all my wasted time running from base to base to find all that gear, so i decided to respawn and run back to loot my body, i had the worst possible spawn location for that run, and it took me quite a while to get to the airfield, finally i had made it, i was only about 20 meters away from the place i died at, surprice, SERVER MOTHERF**ING RESTART! I was crying and laughing simultaneously, blaming rocket for making me a bad human being, i was turning into a monster, now i only wanted to pass the butthurt on to other players by being a psycopath killer bandit. :D

So, from 3 days experience, id say this game is _extremely_ frustrating as it is, the level of butthurt was over 9000, but ill keep trying in hopes of bug fixes, new content and such. Im sure this is all just my ordinary bad luck, but my friend keeps saying its only normal for DayZ, so he told me to tell my story here, which i did, just to see if sh*t like this really is daily basis for everyone in DayZ, or was i just ingredibly unlucky? :D

• Like 6

you ll learn from your mistakes, and you ll get better and kick some asses :) dont shot zombies, you will get harrassed. even on a low pop server its important to check everything around you. Once i was on a server, where only was one other player, i looted chapevski some zombies chasing me and i ran into the prison,  directly into a guy with an axe who killed me. i thought he was a zombie at the first moment.

Edited by newguyzombie
  • Like 1

I couldn't find the part where there was something wrong with the game even though the post as a whole is bitching about something?

gearing up

You find some clothes, you find a backpack or you make one. And you find something to open cans with. There, congratulations, you're all 'geared' up.

Edited by Exorade

You find some clothes, you find a backpack or you make one. And you find something to open cans with. There, congratulations, you're all 'geared' up.

For me, gearing up means a long loot run, since i find it pointless to grab a can opener + backpack and go running around full server :D theres just too many bandits shooting you on sight.

and SGT. Kalme, this isnt really about bitching, i know its an alfa, but i was just wondering if thats the daily routine for everyone else too, to die to bugs or whatever..

The zombies are a little broken at the moment.  I've taken a dozen hits from zombies since the patch and have only had my pants become 'damaged'.  Other people (decked out in protective clothing) get killed in one hit.  The spawning mechanism needs an overhaul, too.  Safest thing to do at the moment is find a building with a second floor to bind your wounds and feed yourself.  I personally hate how quiet the zombies are.  You'd think with a decaying body they'd make a little more noise when they run.

The zombies are a little broken at the moment.  I've taken a dozen hits from zombies since the patch and have only had my pants become 'damaged'.  Other people (decked out in protective clothing) get killed in one hit.  The spawning mechanism needs an overhaul, too.  Safest thing to do at the moment is find a building with a second floor to bind your wounds and feed yourself.  I personally hate how quiet the zombies are.  You'd think with a decaying body they'd make a little more noise when they run.

Yeah, like they'd slosh around or something. Ew.

Yeah, like they'd slosh around or something. Ew.

I think the mental image of that will haunt me for a long time.  I meant more like heavy footsteps, crunching underbrush, shuffling, etc.  I don't mind their enhanced speed or damage, I can deal with that.  Sitting well hidden, still, and quiet, then having a zombie just clobber me from behind after running 300 meters as quiet as a ninja with felted shoes is a little annoying.

I think the mental image of that will haunt me for a long time.  I meant more like heavy footsteps, crunching underbrush, shuffling, etc.  I don't mind their enhanced speed or damage, I can deal with that.  Sitting well hidden, still, and quiet, then having a zombie just clobber me from behind after running 300 meters as quiet as a ninja with felted shoes is a little annoying.

Yeah, that's a really good point. I've been sitting in bushes outside of cities trying to see if it's safe to go in (like, any heavily armed players running around, any gun shots, whatever) and out of nowhere I mean there's a zombie screaming from behind me. I'm a new player, so I haven't had many runs with lots of weapons or anything, so having to try to escape from zombies is really tiresome. They seem to eventually give up if you run far enough away, though, which is nice.

Safest thing to do at the moment is find a building with a second floor to bind your wounds and feed yourself.

Ive been hit by a zombie trough the ceiling in police stations, while looting the bedroom upstairs.. Zombies seem to be ghosts, they can freely move through any physical matter they want, be it fence or wall or whatever. Another thing that really bugs me about zombies is their speed in uphill. When running far inland, you come across few hills, and if theres a zombie after you, and youre un-armed, youre screwd, because you will be walking slowly up the hill, and zombie will be able to run like hell. Life is unfair but i dont think it should be that unfair.  <_<

Edited by AntiBandit
  • Like 1

My first dead is going to come from dieing of hunger.. and to think I got 3 cans of food on me... just no means to open them :(

And my screen is pretty gray.. zombies hit me more then I would have liked to haha.

Snipers: Getting shot through a window when you are in a fire station tower is a real standard sniper shot. It's not a very difficult shot and there are plenty of good snipers. Best thing to do is to run up the last few stairs and go straight into a corner between the windows. Don't hesitate a moment. Then when you want, dodge across the window fast to the next corner. The sniper will be working out what your next move will be, so don't make it easy for him.

It's a lot easier than you think to see someone moving about in a building with windows, and if you see him crossing from left to right (for instance) you know he's moving up, and in a few seconds he'll appear in front of the window on the next floor.

Snipers love that stuff.

Zombies: I was kneeling in a ground floor building, with a soft hat on, zombie came through the wall and killed me with ONE hit (like a headshot?) - I was fully fed and watered, no stress, peak condition. then dead.

Usually when zombies hit me by surprise like that (because that's the only way they can hit me now that I've learned how to deal with them) they just ruin everything I've got in my combat vest pockets.. like even my can opener?  And ruin the vest too. So I never keep anything useful in those any more, just food and cans mainly.

If they chase you up hills - run in zigzags to keep your speed at max. Don't hold anything in your hands then you can run faster. Try running back down the hill (also diagonally for full speed) - they try to chase you and often they fall and die, if they don't then just do it again. Don't ever run in a straight line with one following behind you anywhere close, they can hit from 15 feet behind you. But if you zigzag, or even run back past them, or run in circles round them, they cant hit you as long as you ALWAYS turn, never stand still or run in a straight line, keep pressing the max forward key and use your mouse to turn ALL the time. When you get the hang of it, it's fun.

Enjoy

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

Snipers: Getting shot through a window when you are in a fire station tower is a real standard sniper shot. It's not a very difficult shot and there are plenty of good snipers.

I know that, but if you read carefully enough, you will notice that i was not talking about a fire station, im talking about a building with a jail downstairs, and bedroom upstairs, and a small window facing the upstairs staircase. I might be new but im not a retard :D Thanks for trying tough.

Also about the zombies, i was kneeling too when i got hit the second time by the same zombie, as i bandaged, i kneeled and the zombie ran right at me, recently i heard about bugs in dayz MOD of arma 2, where you can get killed if you are kneeling and someone runs towards you.. This zombie was running right at me, and what you said sounds similar, so im actually suspecting this BUG made it from arma 2 mod, to the actual standalone version.. 

Edited by AntiBandit

I know that, but if you read carefully enough, you will notice that i was not talking about a fire station, im talking about a building with a jail downstairs, and bedroom upstairs, and a small window facing the upstairs staircase. I might be new but im not a retard :D Thanks for trying tough.

That building has windows too.

Anything at the airfield is going to have a scope on it a lot of the time. Players turn up every 5 mins, especially on 'low pop servers' - watch the player list change!

If you are new but not a tar you'll also know about the 'glitch room' at the other end of the first floor corridor in the 'police station'. People glitch through the wall into the closed room, and wait there for honest players to come by, then shoot through the wall.  That's what I understand, there are plenty posts about it. You can never tell where a bullet comes from when it killes you one-shot, unless you see the guy aiming at you.

I don't think the zombies are bugged ( except WALLS, natch..). Probably they are set for future tweaking and changes but they sure make the game more interesting now.

It's really not a good idea at all to shoot zombs, that just spawns more of them fast. They spawn close, already agroed, and come to where the action was/is - so get away before bandaging. To kill them use a fireax or a pitchfork, those are the most effective.

for different views and plenty of stuff about the new zombies see this thread and this thread and this thread

These here are just my ideas, I'm not an expert on anything.

Maybe some real sharpshooters could add their thoughts to this thread

- but snipers tend to not talk a lot (I dunno why)

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Anything at the airfield is going to have a scope on it a lot of the time. Players turn up every 5 mins, especially on 'low pop servers' - watch the player list change!

Haha soo true! I took your advice and was expecting to see someone at the airfield now. Eventho the server had 3 players, i managed to find m4 + 30 round clip + ACOG and some camo clothes at military base, headed for the same airfield again, and as im running halfway trough the runway, i spot a guy run into tech building.. I proned and zeroed my acog, waited a few mins and soon he was on the tower, he was looking around from the tower for quite a while with his m4 out, so i doubt he was not going to be friendly for me if i revealed myself :D I managed to pull of couple of luckshots after a while of watching him and boom, he had the best of the best gear, hundreds of bullets, alot of mags.. Alltho i feel a bit horrible now as the guy must of wasted ALOT of time to get all of that, and he never knew where he got shot from.. But i just had to taste the life of a bandit for once. Whoever i killed, im sorry, i feel your pain  :rolleyes:

Edited by AntiBandit
  • Like 1

The zombies are a little broken at the moment.  I've taken a dozen hits from zombies since the patch and have only had my pants become 'damaged'.  

I bet you win the lottery too, I routinely get shirts and vests ruined along with everything in them.  Picked up a really nice pristine riders  jacket at the shipwreck and had it ruined down in Factory.  Didn't even have it an hour.   It does seem that once a shirt or vest is ruined you can them store stuff in there an it does not take any damage.  Must be a bug though.  I have learned to love the yellow protective cases.

Edited by Barnabus

I bet you win the lottery too, I routinely get shirts and vests ruined along with everything in them.  Picked up a really nice pristine riders  jacket at the shipwreck and had it ruined down in Factory.  Didn't even have it an hour.   It does seem that once a shirt or vest is ruined you can them store stuff in there an it does not take any damage.  Must be a bug though.  I have learned to love the yellow protective cases.

I'd gladly exchange a few insta-deaths or packs of ruined gear for a few lottery wins :P.  I didn't feel like interacting much the other day so I went on to a low population server and just ran around.  I went to Balota and started picking off zombies with an M4.  Mind you, I haven't played a lot since the new Zs were put in, so I didn't realize just how ridiculous the zombie spawning was.  80 bullets later and about 40 zombies, I had gotten clobbered about 13-15 times, with a pause to bandage some bleeding.  My pants went from worn to damaged, and that was the extent of the damage to my gear.  I think I took one or two hits while crouched, too.  

I wouldn't mind running into a hoard of zombies, and using every last bullet to escape, but having them constantly spawning behind me within aggro range is very annoying.

I had gotten clobbered about 13-15 times, with a pause to bandage some bleeding.  My pants went from worn to damaged, and that was the extent of the damage to my gear.  I think I took one or two hits while crouched, too.  

Consider yourself extremely lucky then, 13-15 hits from a zombie and you dont die?? I died from 2, and usually when zombie hit me even 1 time, most of my gear if not all, is ruined.

Today i was feeling a bit more social and had a go in full server, found handcuffs, hammer and helmet from elektro fire station, i had heard mosin shots before that from the hill facing railroad, but he didnt hit me, so i tought hes not a good shot, i felt quite confident to face him with hammer if i had to, and i didnt feel like running 2 hours for gear, so i tried to sneak behind the hill. For hes unfortune he took alot of shots to new-spawns running towards elektro, so i was able to find him pretty easily :) I rolled right behind him, ninja handcuffed him and took his camo mosin and hunter backpack filled with bunch of food and couple bullets, the handcuffs were pristine so i just left the guy there struggling :D I suppose hes got to struggle a long time to get out of those. Maybe i saved a life of couple new-spawns xD Even if i didnt, it was fun as hell. I gave him my hammer tho, just to make him feel not so bad about that beautiful camouflaged mosin :)

Edited by AntiBandit
  • Like 2

Think positive. In real live you would not even respawn. And what happened to you is the challenging factor of the game. That is the fun. It could happen to everyone every time. :)  

Yes but if anything is ruined then when you take it off you can't put it back on. Same with ruined loot. You can use it till you put it down, then its out of play. (I think I'm right about that,seems thats how it happened to me).

Think positive. In real live you would not even respawn.

Well, youve got a point :D However in real life, you wouldnt get your gear disappear like *poof* in the air, and teleport back to coast. Just happened to me 8th time, eventho its a big part of the fun to re-gear yourself, its just not that fun when it happens at the wrong time. I would be completely okay losing my gear for a zombie horde or another player, but to never have the chance to even use your gear that youve put hours to gather on, just lame if you ask me. I hope they fix that problem very very soon. Oh and just for the record, you wont get your gear back by any means once you randomly spawn to coast without your gear, ppl said it helps to log on to the last server where you still had your gear, immidiately after you notice youre back on the coast, without moving your mouse or pressing any buttons. I'll just call that BS since it never worked for me.

I also hope they fix it soon. Does your equipment disappear on all server? I never had that happen before or after the last updates.

Yea, once that happens, im still on the coast without gear on every other server too.