Sign in to follow this  
Rozay (DayZ)

Suppressor's (RANT)

Okay, so I have been playing DayZ Standalone since Day 1. I love the idea of having suppressor's, and I'm sure that many other people love the idea too.

Now, why Dev Team, would you add suppressor's and not make them suppressed? I mean, you have had lots of updates to add in the new sound associated with the object. If I don't see suppressed gun sounds added in soon I will probably lose faith in this game. The suppressor has been around since the first patch and STILL doesn't work? 

I would like some feedback on this from everybody else. I want more opinions on the subject.

Okay, so I have been playing DayZ Standalone since Day 1. I love the idea of having suppressor's, and I'm sure that many other people love the idea too.

Now, why Dev Team, would you add suppressor's and not make them suppressed? I mean, you have had lots of updates to add in the new sound associated with the object. If I don't see suppressed gun sounds added in soon I will probably lose faith in this game. The suppressor has been around since the first patch and STILL doesn't work? 

I would like some feedback on this from everybody else. I want more opinions on the subject.

Many things in the game are added just to show the players what to expect from the game in the future.

• Like 4

My guess is that the suppressors are just place holders like the bayonets, pretty but useless when it's attached to a weapon.

• Like 1

The gun itself already sounds damn weak, more like a weird mechanical "thunk-clack, thunk-clack" than any sort of "bang!" or "pop! pop! pop!"

At 135 dB a suppressed 5.56 isn't as quiet as many people seem to think it should be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwEizn9XBfI#t=1m37s

First they need to make it sound like a rifle. Then they can work on making it sound suppressed... but unlike in ARMA 2, not silenced!

• Like 5

Just adding some stuff to the item lists, and make them spawn. Could be because they want their spawnrates balanced.

One day the suppressor will work. If you loose faith in the "soon-but-not-yet-a-game" because of such a small thing. Im suprised you dont mention the numerous areas, that the Dev team really needs to work on (and are working on) to make the game more enjoyable. 

Fixing suppressors is not on the top of the list exactly..

• Like 1

MEW =^.^=

.......... xD

But in all seriousness I think this will be fixed once they get a better grip on zombie aggro and stealth against them. Supressors will probably be fixed along with this change otherwise im sure they still wouldn't work even when suppressed.

You need subsonic rounds for the suppressor to work efficiently. (not in the game yet)

Edited by Jasonperson

They're facing bugs that prevent them from adding pump shotguns at the moment man, I wouldn't doubt it if there was something hindering the on the fly changes to sound/muzzle effect/how the zombies hear it. Its also just as likely that they are too busy with survival based aspects and the function is just lower on the priority list.

You need subsonic rounds for the suppressor to work efficiently. (not in the game yet)

None of the guns that currently have suppressor attachments need subsonic ammunition for their suppressors to be useful.

-M4A1 uses supersonic ammunition even with suppressor

-FNX45 is already subsonic

-Amphibian is designed to be used with high-speed ammunition

• Like 1

Pretty sure it has to do with the zombies and how far they can hear weapons fire.

As of now every weapon even the Amphibia which has a built in suppressor is heard by zombies within 100 meters. 

At least according to this mans tests:

None of the guns that currently have suppressor attachments need subsonic ammunition for their suppressors to be useful.

-M4A1 uses supersonic ammunition even with suppressor

-FNX45 is already subsonic

-Amphibian is designed to be used with high-speed ammunition

How come in the mod there were STANAG SD rounds for the M4A1?

Also quoted from the SA Wiki:NOTE: Suppressor will not work optimally without SD Low Velocity ammunition. Regular 5.56mm ammo will still report a sonic boom with each shot.

Edited by Jasonperson

They started with the m4 +all atachmends cause it was the hardest weapon and they wanted to know if the atachment system works properly. Dont you read the news?^^

They started with the m4 +all atachmends cause it was the hardest weapon and they wanted to know if the atachment system works properly. Dont you read the news?^^

I think the more variety the better but why beat around the bush and just add in the M4? LOL its wouldnt be as part crazy as the M4A1 but still it was one of the first models before it.

I actually like the normal M4 gun.

Pretty much the only difference between a suppressed weapon and an un-suppressed weapon is you go: "What the fuck was that?" instead of: "Someone's shooting at me!"

Edited by Alldaypk
  • Like 1

Pretty much the only difference between a suppressed weapon and an un-suppressed weapon is you go: "What the fuck was that?" instead of: "Someone's shooting at me!"

the "clack" from the action of the weapon shouldnt be heard at 100m on a silenced weapon, but i believe they will eventually work the way they should for proper gameplay. That being said, i dont have a clue to what that is. :P

• Like 1

How come in the mod there were STANAG SD rounds for the M4A1?

Also quoted from the SA Wiki:NOTE: Suppressor will not work optimally without SD Low Velocity ammunition. Regular 5.56mm ammo will still report a sonic boom with each shot.

Because they needed a different ammo types for silenced weapons since AI reacted to the type of bullet and not the sound played. They also were not realistic in how they functioned or sounded.

As for the Wiki, that is technically correct: subsonic ammunition is quieter than supersonic ammunition.

Yet no military uses subsonic 5.56mm for good reasons, and if you see a photo of a soldier with a suppressed 5.56m weapon you can be sure he is using supersonic ammunition. And the same with 7.62 and most other rifle calibers, notable expection would be the Russian 9x39mm which was designed from the start to be subsonic. You can't walk into your average gun store and buy subsonic .223, and the military doesn't issue it. Therefore it has no place in Chernarus.

Most subsonic 5.56mm ammunition would, in rough game terms, turn your M4A1 into a bolt-action version of the "Sporter 22". Worth it? Only in very few situations, most all of which are not combat-related.

As for 5.56:

http://www.acq.osd.mil/osbp/sbir/solicitations/sbir20131/socom131.htm

"Today, there is no sub-sonic ammunition currently type classified for use in the calibers provided by any DoD Service."

So there's no plausible explanation for subsonic 5.56mm being in Chernarus. The main (only?) consumers of subsonic .223/5.56 are civilian shooters who want to make their suppressed weapons as quiet as possible.

Too many disadvantages with subsonic in 5.56:

-"no current sub-sonic rifle round will consistently cycle the action on gas operated weapons"

-tiny bullets, greatly reduced effectiveness, no fragmentation, energy closer to a .22 than to a full-power 5.56

-greatly reduced effective range, trajectory is like a rainbow (ie: ridiculous bullet drop)

With supersonic 5.56 ammunition the suppressor still has numerous advantages.

-much quieter

-less blast and flash

-conceals position and can confuse enemies

Simplified diagram, soundwaves from supersonic bullet

8kFsUoE.png

So suppressors can be most useful with supersonic ammunition.

Suppressor on .338 Lapua C14 Timberwolf (supersonic ammunition)

6JPBuCV.jpg?1

Suppressor on 5.56mm Mk 12 SPR (supersonic ammunition)

mk12-sf.jpg

Suppressor on 7.62mm M14 (supersonic ammunition)

adalbert.jpg

Edited by Gews
  • Like 2

For the shot to be completely silent, without regards to the noise the bullet makes upon impact or traveling through the air which obviously can't be silenced, you need a suppressor and subsonic ammo. This setup makes the muzzleblast from the weapon silent, as well as there's no crack from the bullet breaking the speed of sound barrier.

With supersonic ammo (normal ammo) the suppressor only removes the muzzleblast sound. The bullet will still crack, as it exceeds the speed of sound. If you for example shoot down range at a person 300 m. away, this person will only hear the supersonic crack from the bullet, as it passes him. He will not know where the shot came from, as the muzzleblast from the firing weapon is silenced and he will only hear the crack from the bullet, if it passes him, as the supersonic shockwave always is somewhat behind the object surpassing the speed of sound. If the bullet hits him and kills him instantly (headshot) he will, in theory, never hear anything.

Obviously there's upsides and downsides of the two uses of a suppressor.

With subsonic ammo, the bullet's travel time is longer, making it harder to hit moving targets (you have to lead your target more) and the influence of the gravitational force is more distinct (you have to aim more above your target.)

Thats my understanding of the physics involved, regarding suppressors and their uses and you're free to correct me, if my assumptions seem wrong.

Edited by Holdt

The point of a suppressor isn't always to be completely silent. Sometimes it is just to make it hard as hell to find the shooter.

I get your post and i get that they shoud put in the new sounds! But realy? Would you realy loose fait in a game just because they don't yet have the sounds for the suppressed weapons? cmon...

On 4/3/2014 at 10:55 PM, Rozay said:

If I don't see suppressed gun sounds added in soon I will probably lose faith in this game.

sheesh

Edited by BadContrakt

You guys are hilarious.  The game is so  xxx that they refuse to fix the sounds of other players and zombies traveling across the whole map, and yet, you want to tell the OP that the reason suppressors dont work is because they are just "place holders" and that the devs will fix all of the stealth and subsonic noise implementation?

LOL, thanks for the laugh.    This game will never be completed guys, it's a mess unless Bohemia sells it to a competent set of resources.

EDITED BY SULA.  I've removed all your swearing but left the rest of your post intact because I'm all for free expression of opinions.  However, if you keep on effing and blinding, further action will be taken.

Edited by Sula

If I were a dev, I would be insulted...

For the shot to be completely silent, without regards to the noise the bullet makes upon impact or traveling through the air which obviously can't be silenced, you need a suppressor and subsonic ammo. This setup makes the muzzleblast from the weapon silent, as well as there's no crack from the bullet breaking the speed of sound barrier.

With supersonic ammo (normal ammo) the suppressor only removes the muzzleblast sound. The bullet will still crack, as it exceeds the speed of sound. If you for example shoot down range at a person 300 m. away, this person will only hear the supersonic crack from the bullet, as it passes him. He will not know where the shot came from, as the muzzleblast from the firing weapon is silenced and he will only hear the crack from the bullet, if it passes him, as the supersonic shockwave always is somewhat behind the object surpassing the speed of sound. If the bullet hits him and kills him instantly (headshot) he will, in theory, never hear anything.

Obviously there's upsides and downsides of the two uses of a suppressor.

With subsonic ammo, the bullet's travel time is longer, making it harder to hit moving targets (you have to lead your target more) and the influence of the gravitational force is more distinct (you have to aim more above your target.)

Thats my understanding of the physics involved, regarding suppressors and their uses and you're free to correct me, if my assumptions seem wrong.

Again, it's fucking laughable that we fans are talking about this much technical details when there is no fucking way Dayz will ever be able to achieve this level of realism.   You can't open a fucking soda can on the map without broadcasting the sound across the whole  map.  They have refused to fix even this most basic line of code.   WE are fucked guys.

If I were a dev, I would be insulted...

No, if you were one of these devs, you should be well paid for doing almost nothing.   32 million dollars in revenue and no zombie or sound glitches have been fixed.

I cant wait for them to start working myself, those silent kills when sneaking up on bandits.