gibonez

Fantastic news wind will affect bullets

What about historically? It's fairly obvious that sniper teams are the accepted norm nowadays within dominant military forces, but what about vietnamese snipers in vietnam or russian snipers in ww2? I can't drum up anything factual atm because work blows today lol, but I'm sure that even though working in pairs is nice and fair, you need only one to get it done!

As a DMR when deployed to iraq, we worked with four in a group to maintain our objective (to deter and eliminate ied threats along main supply routes) over a sustained period of time. We only used m14's though lol, no fun stuff...

I don't see why a single person cannot be as effective as a sniper spotter team.

I mean a spotter does what ? watches the snipers back, gives the sniper dope or help with dope and then makes adjustment calls by following the trace of the bullet.

All of those things could be done by a single shooter with experience it can be done extremely quickly and faster.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

I don't see why a single person cannot be as effective as a sniper spotter team.

I mean a spotter does what ? watches the snipers back, gives the sniper dope or help with dope and then makes adjustment calls by following the trace of the bullet.

All of those things could be done by a single shooter with experience it can be done extremely quickly and faster.

http://youtu.be/OCWK4O8orOs

Yea, this is what i was trying to say in a less than practical way lol. I guess i was lost on the sniper teams work in pairs comment, definately not a necessity...

This, the only difference is that it'll take more time to adjust the scope as he has to do the calculations himself. But in the process he'll have to take his eye off the scope and might lose the target (probably the biggest problem with solo sniping). 

Yeah, I mean, I think folks are overestimating the long-range combat in DayZ. The fog pretty prevents you from shooting accurately past 800m. My furthest shot in the vanilla mod was at 800m. I'm sure others have hit 1000m.

But the majority of sniping in my experience, even in ARMA/DayZ happens at 300-500 meters.

Likewise, I think people may be overestimating the significance of windage. I doubt it'll be that hard to manage, rangefinding isn't that hard to manage in-game either. I also think we'll have to wait to see what kind of optics/weapons they make available to us for sniping. Because if they stick with the LRS, then sniping will be very limited.

Edited by Katana67

Hello there

I do think that some of you guys do worry a little to much about how the game will perform weaponwise when its done.

I think many elements are in game because

a) to prove the work pipeline functions and to get major functions in game

b. to occupy us bleating masses who "must haz SA noaw pl0x"

c)something else

But these elements are not fully tweaked or finalised.

Knowing R the little I do and having the occasional chat with him I know he is quite the perfectionist and uber passionate about what he's trying to do in all areas of the game. He actually beats himself up over the game a little to much IMHO but then again he's carrying a lot more responsibility than me.

The point being, I *do* think we will have a weapon system that's more detailed and accurate than Arma in many ways and whilst its good to keep a beady eye on weapon dispersion etc to be constructive in ones criticism rather than harbingers of doom.

Its good to be wary, but positive thoughtful feedback will get the devs attention far more than "OMG M4 SUXX" type rantings.

This isnt aimed at anyone in particular just generally at those who are weapon fans.

Lastly, never forget that even the rifles in Arma had very suspect ballistics and handling so never expect pure science reality, but expect it to be a cut above how most games handle firearms.

I have faith in the devs.

Rgds

LoK

While i can agree with this i can see it going one of two ways for awhile. 1. Very good and well balanced or 2. Horribly implemented even with testing and it just screws up guns even more in game some how. But im hoping for 1.

But i DON'T want this game to become Dead Island where everything becomes SUPER melee heavy. Basically guns were terrible in that game and in order do do anything you needed melee as prime. Im not going to worry to much about it till it actually gets put in but im hoping it turns out good.

Hello there

There's a whole raft of reasons for two man teams, from security to the psychological. et al.

One man setups can and do work. Id rather be in a duo though.

Rgds

LoK

OMG M4 accuracy is atrocious.

I love the idea of wind affecting trajectories, but can we pretty please get some more accuracy to begin with? This on top of the other is just to much imo.

Yeah the M4A1 is going to need a MAJOR overhaul in firing accuracy if this gets put in definitely.

While i can agree with this i can see it going one of two ways for awhile. 1. Very good and well balanced or 2. Horribly implemented even with testing and it just screws up guns even more in game some how. But im hoping for 1.

But i DON'T want this game to become Dead Island where everything becomes SUPER melee heavy. Basically guns were terrible in that game and in order do do anything you needed melee as prime. Im not going to worry to much about it till it actually gets put in but im hoping it turns out good.

Hello there

Its unlikely youll ever see the game turn out like DI or that other game you favour so wait unti they start to push things out before you start to worrymung.

The game will be by far and away the better of the Z survival games once finished. But we have a long way and a lot of changes to experience.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Its unlikely youll ever see the game turn out like DI or that other game you favour so wait unti they start to push things out before you start to worrymung.

The game will be by far and away the better of the Z survival games once finished. But we have a long way and a lot of changes to experience.

Rgds

LoK

Its not my favorite i actually have it uninstalled atm lol.

This, the only difference is that it'll take more time to adjust the scope as he has to do the calculations himself. But in the process he'll have to take his eye off the scope and might lose the target (probably the biggest problem with solo sniping). 

with any set of modern turrets you dont have to take your eyes off your scope

most new turrets have audible clicks and every full rotation is met with a hard click that you can tell right away.

So say you need to go up 44 minutes you just keep turning until you feel 4 very hard clicks and then click 8 more times with a 1/2 mnute click turrets.

when you need to go back to zero due to zero stops you just keep turning it down until it stops.

Yeah, I mean, I think folks are overestimating the long-range combat in DayZ. The fog pretty prevents you from shooting accurately past 800m. My furthest shot in the vanilla mod was at 800m. I'm sure others have hit 1000m.

But the majority of sniping in my experience, even in ARMA/DayZ happens at 300-500 meters.

Likewise, I think people may be overestimating the significance of windage. I doubt it'll be that hard to manage, rangefinding isn't that hard to manage in-game either. I also think we'll have to wait to see what kind of optics/weapons they make available to us for sniping. Because if they stick with the LRS, then sniping will be very limited.

There is no reason to not up the view distance to atleast ACE levels

My longest kill on a player in ace was at 2400m with a tac 50 while about 900m above ground. Lucky shot and i nailed him on my 3rd shot.

Longest kill with a m24 in ace was at 1200m had to max my elevation and then finally aim near the very bottom of the reticle.

Stand alone needs longer view distances the fog system is terrible.

While I agree that the fog system is detrimental, I'm not sure I want people able to reach past 1000m in DayZ. 

While I agree that the fog system is detrimental, I'm not sure I want people able to reach past 1000m in DayZ. 

With a high caliber military sniper rifle it should. If its anything like an M107.

with any set of modern turrets you dont have to take your eyes off your scope

most new turrets have audible clicks and every full rotation is met with a hard click that you can tell right away.

So say you need to go up 44 minutes you just keep turning until you feel 4 very hard clicks and then click 8 more times with a 1/2 mnute click turrets.

when you need to go back to zero due to zero stops you just keep turning it down until it stops.

I was talking about the calculating itself, not the adjustment on the scope. Measuring the wind speed, determining what adjustment the scope needs, stuff like that. That's what the spotter normally does for the sniper

With a high caliber military sniper rifle it should. If its anything like an M107.

Which they've said they're not interested in implementing (which I disagree with).

Considering that the DayZ characters don't have military background (let alone sniper training), they shouldn't be able to make a 1000m shot. Because it's a game, up to 800 maybe 900 meters is acceptable, but 1000m just goes a bit too far lol

I'd like a fog system. Most of chernarus is forest and the rest of it is coastline. There's alot of moisture just in that type of landscape so there should be plenty of fog at times. Add in the time of year which seems to be late fall early winter.

More fog makes sense

Considering that the DayZ characters don't have military background (let alone sniper training), they shouldn't be able to make a 1000m shot. Because it's a game, up to 800 maybe 900 meters is acceptable, but 1000m just goes a bit too far lol

Well, they don't have a civilian background either. They have no background.

They are avatars for the player. DayZ's emphasis has always been on bringing out the individual player's skillset through the character, not letting us play specific characters with specific backgrounds.

Agaiiin.

All those nice little and unnecessary features. Physics, heart atacks, paint stuff, etc......

Who needs this? Maybe that would be great stuff if you could add it after you did the game basics. The mod content and the improvements everybody wanted in the old days.

Like: Respawning loot in ALL houses and the environment. Non-clipping zombies and a stealth system that works. Temperature, camp fire, chop wood. Hero/Bandit system. Glow sticks and flares and much more.....

Think before you add stuff. A good example is the map. The mod map was so good because you could mark a spot and and see how far it was away and where. For the complete SA map you have to collect 4 pieces for what? To look at a map you already have opened in you browser or dont need because you know all the locations? C´mon. You knew how people play the game and you just made the SA map useless.

The only good thing i read since release was the imp hacker protection and that you work on animals/hunting/cars. Thats all.

I said this before and now again: The Mod made the SA possible. So stick to the mod and dont create a complete new game with just the name in it.

Edited by kiwi12

Agaiiin.

All those nice little and unnecessary features. Physics, heart atacks, paint stuff, etc......

Who needs this? Maybe that would be great stuff if you could add it after you did the game basics. The mod content and the improvements everybody wanted in the old days.

Like: Respawning loot in ALL houses and the environment. Non-clipping zombies and a stealth system that works. Temperature, camp fire, chop wood. Glow sticks and flares and much more.....

Think before you add stuff. A good example is the map. The mod map was so good because you could mark a spot and and see how far it was away and where. For the complete SA map you have to collect 4 pieces for what? To look at a map you already have opened in you browser or dont need because you know all the locations? C´mon. You knew how people play the game and just made the SA map useless.

The only good thing i read since release was the imp hacker protection and that you work on animals/hunting/cars. Thats all.

I said this before and now again: The Mod made the SA possible. So stick to the mod and dont create a complete new game with just the name in it.

Hello there

Have a quick look around the place your facts on zeds are all incorrect.

The SA is what the MOD always wanted to be but couldn't. Not the other way round.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Have a quick look around the place your facts on zeds are all incorrect.

The SA is what the MOD always wanted to be but couldn't. Not the other way round.

Rgds

LoK

But it wasnt and people played it because they liked the mod. I read other things the community liked in the mod forum during the mod days.

Even 5.56 can shoot well past 1000m.

.300 win mag a popular hunting and military cartridge can go to 2000m

You don't need a 50 cal to shoot extreme long range the 50 cal just makes it easier.

It travels that far but the damage it does at those distances is greatly reduced but still even at the low power at those ranges it will put a man down with a chest or head shot.

Sniper training is not the same as knowing how to shoot.

Any hunter knows how to shoot precisely at extended distance.

Snipers are taught how to call in airstrikes, how to do recon, how to stalk among other things that they do for missions.

Any ordinary hunter can land a 1000m shot with the right weapon and some shooting experience its not that hard.

-snip-

Yes, but there are few weapons which can push 5.56x45 to 1000m and beyond accurately. Even these guys were having trouble getting their rounds on target, on a range.

Nevermind that "effective" range is called such for a reason. Cartridges cannot go to X distance. Their effective range is dictated by the combination of the round AND the weapon. Simply because an accurized bolt-action can hit a fixed target with known dope at 1000m doesn't mean that any weapon that fires the same caliber is equally as capable.

I mean the Mosin has 2000m on its irons, but that doesn't mean it can hit a target with any semblance of accuracy at those ranges.

Moreover, I don't mean this as condescending, but what does the ability to engage players at 1000m plus really offer to the experience of DayZ?

EDIT - And no, 1000m shots are difficult no matter who you are. That said, our character's "backgrounds", which they do not have... are irrelevant.

Edited by Katana67

Yes, but there are few weapons which can push 5.56x45 to 1000m and beyond accurately. Even these guys were having trouble getting their rounds on target, on a range.

Nevermind that "effective" range is called such for a reason. Cartridges cannot go to X distance. Their effective range is dictated by the combination of the round AND the weapon. Simply because an accurized bolt-action can hit a fixed target with known dope at 1000m doesn't mean that any weapon that fires the same caliber is equally as capable.

I

Of course I am not arguing you can do the same with an m4.

Sure you could lob rounds at 1000m with an m4 the rounds will get there and heck you might get hits on an area target but for a 1st round hit with 5.56 I don't see it.

Wind is too much of a factor with 5.56 nato too light of a bullet.

All I am saying its completely doable if you have an optic with enough elevation and get lucky.