• All day every day
    • 99%- 70% of the time
    • 69%-40% of the time
    • 39%-10% of the time
    • Just a couple of times
    • Only once
    • Only when I can't find loot
    • Never screw people who server hop!

If I have to run from Elektro to NW checking every house on the way to not find any food/soda other than fountains then to die of starvation in Vybor isn't fun it's a waste of my time...

Fix the loot spawns and I'll stop hopping, Cheers..

Other things will help too such as hunting etc. Loot re spawning peace meal every few hours is whats really needed.

I only play on full servers. Dieing of starvation is not uncommon. Can't imagine when we have 100 man servers. At least not till a basic loot fix etc comes out..

Edited by RyBo

I start hopping as soon as the experience gets stale, which is every hour or two. There's nothing to stop me from doing so, and an hour is plenty of time to do the NWAF/Vybor/Military Depot circuit and avoid the log in timer. Gotta get those gucci M4 parts.

I'll keep hopping until the loot stops respawning on restart or DayZ provides me something other to do than the Elektro death march.

I never do server hopping is the reason I want private hives.

Such a terrible game breaking mechanic.

private hives won't fix anything with people who play on global hives

I generally stick to one server once I've logged on. This could be a server I've been on recently/favourited, or it could be another (friends online etc.). That said...

- If I die, I consider it a viable chance to change server. New player, new life, new experience etc.

- If the server becomes unplayable - lag issues usually - I'll wait it out. If the situation doesn't sort itself out, I'll change server.

- Most controversially, if my enjoyment of the game could be improved by changing server - no players, 'dead' server etc. - I'll change server. Please note, this doesn't mean 'I want loot and I want it now!'. It means I don't want to spend hours running between towns with no hope of either contacting other players or finding anything of interest.

The above 3 combined, I may change server once per play session (2-4 hours a day, if I'm going to play.)

Similarly, if I change server I will do so in an appropriate area unless something unexpected comes up (real life issues...).

Only server hopping for loot?

Isn't that the definition of server hopping?

I think people mistaken the term server hopping.  To me, to server hop is to spot an enemy and to gain an upper hand by logging into a different server, then running to a strategic spot, log out, then log back into the server the enemy was in, and sneak attack them.

I believe thats the definition of ghosting in this game.

• Like 1

I believe thats the definition of ghosting in this game.

You could say that server hopping is rapidly changing servers to reap some benefit. A ghoster might be server hopping, but a server hopper isn't necessarily ghosting.

• Like 2

private hives won't fix anything with people who play on global hives

No they don't but they fix my problems and issues with the game.

While it sounds selfish I have little hope or patience for the globabl hives to get fixed. I gave up on them in the mod and I would in stand alone.

I prefer the community feel of private hives and how each player in the server is a regular and how each server tends to have its own factions.

So, to be fair, you might want to come up with a definition of server hopping for the purposes of your survey.

No they don't but they fix my problems and issues with the game.

While it sounds selfish I have little hope or patience for the globabl hives to get fixed. I gave up on them in the mod and I would in stand alone.

I prefer the community feel of private hives and how each player in the server is a regular and how each server tends to have its own factions.

This is why I think they need to do away with the idea of public hives entirely. Characters fixed to the server.

Has some drawbacks, but it makes for a much better experience in my opinion.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

I had no idea that server hopping was frowned upon by the community. What does server hopping do that would cause it to be taboo? I'm not trolling here, I'm fairly new and ask the question in earnest.

Someone may have journeyed all the way from the coast to NW airfield spending perhaps twenty minutes to two hours on the way there to be greeted by a looted airfield because a hopper spent 1 minute changing servers just to get a gun and ammo up. Hoppers haven't done the work to get whatever they found whereas old mate who has made it all the way alive has been ripped off a moment of possible joy when rewarded with a nice M4 and possibly a scope and some mags.

The good side of hoppers is that hanging around a mil building will always net you a couple of kills over a play session. Always. 

I server hop, but not in the traditional sense. I will hop servers when I can't find any loot, but most of the time when hop servers it is into a lower population one because until I'm geared up I want to avoid confrontation with other players at all costs.

• Like 1

I do when my buddy and I get gunned down and it's late at night. Easy way to gear up without screwing people over- at 2 am MST there are dozens of 0-3 populated servers.

This is why I think they need to do away with the idea of public hives entirely. Characters fixed to the server.

Has some drawbacks, but it makes for a much better experience in my opinion.

I totally agree. How are they supposed to stop hoppers from hopping inside your base when base building is added?

Lol, I find it hilarious that people frown on server hopping.

My answer to this was 40%-69% of the time. I'd say closer to 40%. This game at the current stage is built for server hopping. There is no way to save characters or loot right now, so when you die, you start over. Most people (I hope) don't have the time to sit there and play for 5 hours to get some gear. I'm incredibly impatient, which is why I don't bother looting small houses or any buildings that don't have high loot spawns. Instead, I go to the nearest airfield or military camp (usually airfield) and gear up for a bit. Then I go to a police station, not on the main road since they're always looted, and server hop till I find an M4. Depending on attachments I found previously, I'll go back and hop some more till I have an optic for it.

I usually server hop 70% of the time my friends aren't online. The other 30% is running to a new place to hop around. When my friends get on, we meet up in a near full pop server(35-40), and play the game how we see fit. We usually look for a fight on the main road, heading towards Elecktro. When we find Bambi's, we help them with some supplies. This game, to me, isn't fun to run around and loot ALREADY LOOTED buildings until I find something worth my time. Server hopping saves on time, and I can watch Netflix/listen to music while doing it.

Basically what I'm trying to say is until they add features that make server hopping unnecessary, I'm gonna keep doing it..

csMB7.gif

Edited by Kihz

I only 'server hop' if I join a server that is somehow night despite the time reading 12:00

Lol, I find it hilarious that people frown on server hopping.

My answer to this was 40%-69% of the time. I'd say closer to 40%. This game at the current stage is built for server hopping. There is no way to save characters or loot right now, so when you die, you start over. Most people (I hope) don't have the time to sit there and play for 5 hours to get some gear. I'm incredibly impatient, which is why I don't bother looting small houses or any buildings that don't have high loot spawns. Instead, I go to the nearest airfield or military camp (usually airfield) and gear up for a bit. Then I go to a police station, not on the main road since they're always looted, and server hop till I find an M4. Depending on attachments I found previously, I'll go back and hop some more till I have an optic for it.

I usually server hop 70% of the time my friends aren't online. The other 30% is running to a new place to hop around. When my friends get on, we meet up in a near full pop server(35-40), and play the game how we see fit. We usually look for a fight on the main road, heading towards Elecktro. When we find Bambi's, we help them with some supplies. This game, to me, isn't fun to run around and loot ALREADY LOOTED buildings until I find something worth my time. Server hopping saves on time, and I can watch Netflix/listen to music while doing it.

Basically what I'm trying to say is until they add features that make server hopping unnecessary, I'm gonna keep doing it..

csMB7.gif

To be completly honest that deteriorates from the purpose of the game. Server hopping is a game breaking thing people do so they can gear up fast and play Call of DayZ. The mechanic of having perma death where you can't just start over is so it makes you make choices you will make in a real survival situation. I am not one of those people who are like "screw game mechanics, realism or gtfo." I just think that Perma death is what makes DayZ a unique experience from all the other shooters out there. To me it is a necessary part of DayZ that needs to be emphasized greatly upon.

Edited by king_of_the_beans

To be completly honest that deteriorates from the purpose of the game. Server hopping is a game breaking thing people do so they can gear up fast and play Call of DayZ. The mechanic of having perma death where you can't just start over is so it makes you make choices you will make in a real survival situation. I am not one of those people who are like "screw game mechanics, realism or gtfo." I just think that Perma death is what makes DayZ a unique experience from all the other shooters out there. To me it is a necessary part of DayZ that needs to be emphasized greatly upon.

I'll continue playing my way. Thanks for your opinion.

I'll continue playing my way. Thanks for your opinion.

I am not sure this is sarcasm, but if it is I only wrote for my self to get my thought out. It was not directly toward you to try to change your style of play. Play how ever you want to play because in the end it is about having fun :D

I get on the server and stay there, it's proven rather fortunate at times, although experimental servers all start at the same time's so hopping is pointless, also I feel like a man when I drink my own piss to stay alive.

Edit: also it goes against what I hold to be the spirit of the game and make it more challenging.

Edited by Window Licker

also I feel like a man when I drink my own piss

I totally agree. How are they supposed to stop hoppers from hopping inside your base when base building is added?

Yea I absolutely do not a see a future for public hives once key features like base building are set in place.

No realistic way to keep people out.

• Like 1

I server hop not for loot but for server hoppers to shoot. Funnier way to get stuff :-D