Sign in to follow this  
SpiritSharD (DayZ)

"White spots" highlighting zombies/players

Hey all,

I just this minute entered a server (think it was titled ARB or something, I'll have to check) and I noticed there were white spots akin to a lens flare effect dotted around my field of view. I thought it was a glitch at first, but I've noticed now that the dots highlight zombies and players, even through walls; so yes, it's essentially a wall hack.

The only thing I've downloaded recently is the Six Updater to patch my game. Yersterday these spots weren't around whilst playing so I can only assume this is a server-side feature, or a graphical glitch. Has anyone seen these before and/or know what the problem is?

Here's a screenshot;

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spiritshard/screenshot/559819354460904087?tab=public

regular servers i think.

some are not named correctly or at all. so i mostly, if possible, play on veteran or expert servers.

it's a feature of arma 2 normal servers that got crosshairs on got it and some servers where 3dp is on got it

Entered my server 2day and noticed z's being aggro'd in the distance. The only reason I noticed them was that they were black dots running about!

This is the peripheral vision simulation of arma.

In real life you would be able to sense things in your periphery, hear things, and in other ways sense them.

Yep - it's not a hack - just some left overs from the original ArmaII code.

I don't think it is cheating, either as the guy above says - you don't have peripheral vision ni game and this is a good substitute.

Not all servers are so equipped, though...

"Peripheral Dots" very realistic, and similar to how your eyes pertain to movements that are out of your field of vision, but in ArmA 2 they simulate it as white dots

It goes through all objects. It's basically a shitty wallhack and any servers that have it enabled suck.

It's a bug

Even regular servers don't highlight objects in your direct FoV

The dots simulate your peripheral vision, they are supposed to disappear once the object gets into plain view

Sometimes after a server restart they refuse to reset on FoV change, so you get a screen cluttered with white dots

As stated, it's part of ArmA's engine. But its not much of a boost in DayZ - if you can see the dots it's pretty likely you'll also be hearing a lot of groaning, coughing and screaming, so it's kinda obvious that zombies are around.

It goes through all objects. It's basically a shitty wallhack and any servers that have it enabled suck.

It's a bug

Even regular servers don't highlight objects in your direct FoV

The dots simulate your peripheral vision' date=' they are supposed to disappear once the object gets into plain view

Sometimes after a server restart they refuse to reset on FoV change, so you get a screen cluttered with white dots

[/quote']

It's not a "cheat" or a "bug", it's a feature of Arma 2.

From the manual:

"The Peripheral Vision Indicators...are a simulation of real world peripheral awareness, which is restricted by the constraints of a computer monitor..."

Perfectly legitimate.

The fact that this is a "feature" has been established, and is correct. You can argue for or against it and be perfectly legitimate either way imo.

It gives you peripheral vision, which is a very important aspect of real life combat, so that is good.

But you get the dots when you have no reason to be able to see the zed. I.e. the first time I was on a server with this feature I only noticed it because there were two dots near the ceiling of a barn I was about to go into (new character with no weapon at all), I figured out what it meant and avoided that barn completely. So in that sense this feature is unrealistic.

However you also need to be aware that this feature is not without its negative consequences. Namely, it highlights EVERYTHING. Zeds, players, dead zeds, and animals. Nothing is as nerve racking as sneaking through an area near some zeds only to notices one of those little dots getting larger and moving all over the damn place. You think you have one of the ninja zombies chasing you only to find out it was a little rabbit.

So good feature, bad feature, inconsequential. All of those are valid opinions. If you like it then great, everyone on that server has the same advantages. If you don't like it that's great, just migrate to a server that doesn't use it.

I'm a pretentious player who gets a hard on from ultra-realism and hate everything that's fun and everyone who doesn't play how I like to play.

Fixed for ya ;D

OT: Yeah, it's an ARMA feature I've always like since the FOV on the game is so small and even when adujusted is wonkey, unless you have mutliple monitors.