Katana67

The Battle Rifle Thread!

Lithuania has a supposed supply of 40,000 M14's. Fun fact! :D

The amount of M1 Garands spread across the world is astounding though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_garand#Users

M14 does have a few users in Europe quite supringly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rifle#Users

Estonia uses them for DMR's

Edited by DURRHUNTER

Ah.. The pure joy of "realism"...

You do know how many things are unrealistic in DayZ, right? And that DayZ is still a game, right?

Amazingly enough, due to the nature of my job i know a lot about weapons.

You do know how many countries use that weapon right? And that only VDV (rarely and only some units) and special forces use it?

What would make sense, is that 99% of all the weapons found were Russian weapons.

The reason there are so many weapon types is not because we need so many types, its because each state produces their weapons locally.

Perhaps if DayZ had a Russian map, a US map, a UK map, and Australian map, a China map....

I find it funny that we find UK army clothing in a Russian base, I haven't read any of the lore on DayZ, all I know is that the survivors are immune to whatever it is thats made everyone else a zombie, don't really need to know anything else... but why I can find anything other than Russian loot I don't know.... perhaps have the odd expats house contain some other states weapons, but 99% of the time it should be locale centric - and really, do we need 10 different hand guns? I just want to be able to hold one in each hand, else I'll just pick the gun that does the most damage.

What would make sense, is that 99% of all the weapons found were Russian weapons.

The reason there are so many weapon types is not because we need so many types, its because each state produces their weapons locally.

Perhaps if DayZ had a Russian map, a US map, a UK map, and Australian map, a China map....

I find it funny that we find UK army clothing in a Russian base, I haven't read any of the lore on DayZ, all I know is that the survivors are immune to whatever it is thats made everyone else a zombie, don't really need to know anything else... but why I can find anything other than Russian loot I don't know.... perhaps have the odd expats house contain some other states weapons, but 99% of the time it should be locale centric - and really, do we need 10 different hand guns? I just want to be able to hold one in each hand, else I'll just pick the gun that does the most damage.

You should probably read the lore (and the thread, as we've already discussed this extensively). Chernarus was the subject of a USMC intervention in 2009 (as per the plot of ARMA II). Nevermind that it's a fictional country. And nevermind that countries often use weapons produced abroad (see the most recent Torchia tweet of a Prague gun shop in possession of an AR-10 and my post on the previous page). And nevermind that many post-Soviet countries use non-Warsaw Pact weaponry (see my post on the previous page).

Are people really still caught up on this?

Here's a nice DSA FAL, hopefully this'll get folks actually discussing battle rifles. Doubtful.

tumblr_my8j1o6onH1r7emyeo3_1280.jpg

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

You should probably read the lore (and the thread, as we've already discussed this extensively). Chernarus was the subject of a USMC intervention in 2009 (as per the plot of ARMA II). Nevermind that it's a fictional country. And nevermind that countries often use weapons produced abroad (see the most recent Torchia tweet of a Prague gun shop in possession of an AR-10 and my post on the previous page). And nevermind that many post-Soviet countries use non-Warsaw Pact weaponry (see my post on the previous page).

Ahh, makes a bit more sense then, as I said, I haven't read the lore, having said that, I would still expect some military equipment/clothing to be of Russian origin, clothing especially - and especially at bases.

Here's a nice DSA FAL, hopefully this'll get folks actually discussing battle rifles. Doubtful.

tumblr_my8j1o6onH1r7emyeo3_1280.jpg

ugly magazine is ugly.

Ahh, makes a bit more sense then, as I said, I haven't read the lore, having said that, I would still expect some military equipment/clothing to be of Russian origin, clothing especially - and especially at bases.

TTsKO clothing is of Russian origin, and is regarded as some of the best (if not the best) clothing in the game. The SKS, Mosin, double-barrel shotgun, upcoming SVD, upcoming AKM, and many other random items are of Russian origin.

• Like 1

My only hope for Battle rifles atleast the ones that can take long range optics is that they get treated like sniper rifles with inferior accuracy.

What I mean by this is whatever sniping method is used for stand alone in the future whether they stick to the stupid 100m elevation adjustments on the scope or adopt a better mrad or moa adjustment method that the dmrs also adopt this. Recoil should also be substantial on these firearms

Id rather have good old clasic FAL, it has nice peep iron sights that were one of best in mod (for me). Combination with PSO-1 sight (I know its not realistic, but hey, its only a game) would be great. On other hand, battle rifles are noisy, and they would atract every zombie in 500m radius so it will make them dangerous for user as well, and that is good for balance.

Folks here's a list of former Soviet nations and/or Eastern European states that now use NATO weaponry. Not that the "realism" argument is one I endorse in the first place. Chernarus is fictional.

Im from Croatia, and I can say that Croatian armed forces use G36K in mission in Afganistan. They also use small quantities of Croatian made assoult rifle VHS ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS_assault_rifle ). Majority of weapons in army are still AKM patern assoult rifles from different origins.

• Like 1

Id rather have good old clasic FAL, it has nice peep iron sights that were one of best in mod (for me). Combination with PSO-1 sight (I know its not realistic, but hey, its only a game) would be great. On other hand, battle rifles are noisy, and they would atract every zombie in 500m radius so it will make them dangerous for user as well, and that is good for balance.

In reality they are no more noisy than any other rifle.

They actually tend to be quieter than most assault rifles since most battle rifles have long barrels, the shorter the barrel the louder it is.

• Like 1

In reality they are no more noisy than any other rifle.

They actually tend to be quieter than most assault rifles since most battle rifles have long barrels, the shorter the barrel the louder it is.

They were "dinner bells" in mod and it should be same in SA. Its some sort of balancing, so not everybody will camp and snipe players.  

Yea but you would be way way way way more likely to find the Vintorez in Chenarus as opposed to say an Scar H or some of the other weapons suggested here that are either no longer used by western nations or extremely rare and expensive western weapons that little to no people own.

But it would still be extremely rare and in no way a given

But it would still be extremely rare and in no way a given

Perhaps.

Reason I felt it was a given is because of how unique of a weapon it is and how iconic it is within the eastern European post apocalyptic genre.

When I think of the Vintorez I think of Stalker.

npo-aeg+VSS+Vintorez+AEG+at+ATACKA+Russi

Not only that I think of how unique the weapon is and how unique it is to gameplay.

The weapon is a short range precision firearm that fires a subsonic hard hitting round that has alot of bullet drop.

The weapons gameplay potential is huge.

• Like 1

Yah @OP sorry man i wasnt trying to take away from your discussion in anyway and am glad you havent seen my input as a drive to bring the conversation to "another topic altogether" BUT in some sembelance of realism (not that the game is albeit overly realistic as you pointed out and the history yopu gave etc) i feel, all military grade weaponry should ONLY be found mainly north in the mili zones them selves, i mean who seriously leaves a pistol sight mount lying around in a pub. i think the "civilian" weaponry should be the majority of guns available in all spawn points, and should mostly spawn in bad shape also. Then the true mili guns and so on should literally be restricted to mainly crash sites if they keep heli sites in eventually. another good idea would be if to get access to places like the military barracks in NWAF, you had to actually work out ways to get into the buildings where the weapons would be in secure storage, ok my example may not be perfect BUT is a suggestive more that, to gear up in any kind of "mili" way, should be a lot of ballache and make it then a lot more rewarding and obvious that a player wearing that kind of kit or sporting that kind of weaponry has 1) been alive for a rather long period of time 2) has gone out of their way to gain access to the secure areas to source the high grade (totally rare) weapons and clothing/protection, and by that same way of gameplay you could also see that someone who had crafted their own make shift armour and weapons and so on, had also put their own version of grind in to being well protected and so on. it would almost lead to a kind of identification system of bandit versus hero skin deal. as it is so far (of course the loot spawns and everything will be refined anyway i know) but to find ttsko pants just randomly around is not that likely in any setting or country, granted maybe you might wander into a soldiers house but then im pretty sure that soldiers gonna have kitted up himself with all his good survival and combat gear and at best you MIGHT find a more military grade pistol in his gaff, as opposed to all his armour and stuff. i just really think that this game will benefit greatly from making things like being kitted out, next to impossible. its a survival game based within an apocalypse storyline. in those situations MOST people i think would look for ways to group together and contrary to (dickish) beliefs people would not simply murder one another over beans (especially when as a group you could forage hunt and create safety in numbers) its a hard one to call and i take all of the points in defense of the reasons weaponry from out of the region would be there. i just think its very important to make it realistically rare and so on, and to at least force players to venture into the mechanics the game (i believe dean wants) people to have to make use of to stay alive BEFORE they get to somewhere they MAY have a chance to find PART of some high grade weaponry.

hopefully that sheds some light on my and many others who agrees with me's position

• Like 1

yep ninja, you are right. Once private hives are functional there wont be server hoping. Loot will be more balanced, new areas on map will bring new style of playing. Its still alpha so all gear is availble for testing purposes, and devs want you to get it all and fast. Military locations should have more zeds, so you realy feel good when you fight 50+ zeds with double barell and Makarov to get any good gear. Also there realy should be heli crash sites, revording with unique top-end gear.  

When I played mod in first week I only found Enfields (which Id like in SA, along with Mausers and other WW2 stuff) and Winchesters. First trips to NWAF were total failures. I got my first AK74 from a friend after 10 days of playing. 

To make story short, you should work wery hard for good weapons and gear. In meantime its all shotguns, axes, and bolt-actions.

I think they should have more weapons be like the M4, meaning with changeable foreguards/handguards/rails.

So you could have a regular ol' FAL, but could loot a rail for the receiver or a railed foreguard like on the DSA FAL.

I think this approach is preferable to having dedicated/specific optics like the PU scope.

• Like 1

I think they should have more weapons be like the M4, meaning with changeable foreguards/handguards/rails.

So you could have a regular ol' FAL, but could loot a rail for the receiver or a railed foreguard like on the DSA FAL.

I think this approach is preferable to having dedicated/specific optics like the PU scope.

i think you would be more likely to find the old scope-mount receiver cap that the original fal had than these fancy picattiny rail parts.

You can mount 2 or 3 kinds of scope into it, and possibly a red dot (the mosin doesnt have a rail, yet you can put a LRS on it, cant you?)

I'm actually hoping for a way to craft supressors, either from a car oil filter or some metal tubes, LOTS of duct tape/solder and other components

Edited by lipemr

i think you would be more likely to find the old scope-mount receiver cap that the original fal had than these fancy picattiny rail parts.

You can mount 2 or 3 kinds of scope into it, and possibly a red dot (the mosin doesnt have a rail, yet you can put a LRS on it, cant you?)

I'm actually hoping for a way to craft supressors, either from a car oil filter or some metal tubes, LOTS of duct tape/solder and other components

I'm not really concerned with likelihood. Railed accessories are easier from a development/modularity perspective to implement attachments.

I wasn't aware that the Mosin (and probably therefore the SVD) doesn't use 7.62x54R in DayZ and instead uses 7.62x51.

Do they have any plans to change this? Not that it would affect DMRs/BRs much, given that 7.62x54R is the minority round by comparison.

But I find 7.62x51 boxes all over the place, perhaps they should be switched (if they plan on putting in 7.62x54R) to make ammo for potential NATO weapons a bit rarer. Although, that may screw over the Blaze 95. Perhaps they could chamber the Blaze 95 in .30-06 and use that as the neutral "civilian" rifle round.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that the Mosin (and probably therefore the SVD) doesn't use 7.62x54R in DayZ and instead uses 7.62x51.

Do they have any plans to change this? Not that it would affect DMRs/BRs much, given that 7.62x54R is the minority round by comparison.

But I find 7.62x51 boxes all over the place, perhaps they should be switched (if they plan on putting in 7.62x54R) to make ammo for potential NATO weapons a bit rarer. Although, that may screw over the Blaze 95. Perhaps they could chamber the Blaze 95 in .30-06 and use that as the neutral "civilian" rifle round.

Boxes look like surplus 7.62x54r.

I think its just a typo.

Boxes look like surplus 7.62x54r.

I think its just a typo.

I mean, they look "Russian" but it also fits into the Blaze 95, which cannot be chambered in 7.62x54R.

I know they rendered models of 7.62x54R either way, so you could be right about that.

I just don't want it to be forgotten and have 7.62x51 be a full-on multi-purpose round in terms of rarity. 

A "Battle rifle is just usually a .30 caliber rifle that is capable of burst fire with a selector switch. Its just like "Assault rifle". They're kind of arbitrary terminology but in the US, Assualt rifle is a burst fire weapon legally.

You can assault someone with any type of rifle and you can use any rifle in a battle.

For DayZ I'd like a mishmash of weapons each with realistic balistics. You don't want to be shredded with a .30 or 7.62 or 5.56 or any NATO round weapon but there has to be some balance.

Since most of the arma world is outside, SMG's aren't really useful unless you want to get in wars in the big cities.

There should be some sort of movement penalty in close quarters with longer weapons like "battle rifles/assualt rifles". I mean moving around with a full length SKS or SVD etc in close quarters in reality is not feasible. Just try to move around in a tight space or corridor with one and you will be bumping into the walls. Its the reason SMGs were invented

I'd like to see different movement speeds for different weapons. It should be quicker to draw a pistol than a SMG and quicker to draw a SMG than full length rifle.

Also weight should go into consideration so that if you want a 30 cal weapon you're going to tire more when running than someone that is carrying a pistol or a pistol caliber SMG.

These are just realistic factors. The guy carrying 1000rnds of .22 is gonna be more mobile than the guy carrying an AKM and 1000rnds of 7.62.

If you havent carried ammo in real life- its pretty fucking heavy especially when you're all kitted up

That said.....

I want:

CETME please

cetme8.jpg

Thermal AS-50 was awesome

Not a BR/DMR. Point?