Sebidee

Can you tell the direction which fire is coming from?

I've been having this problem since I began playing. I can't seem to figure out which direction shooting is coming from. I can tell well enough whether it is being shot at me or not but otherwise it just sounds all the same. One second I will be sure it's coming from one direction, then I'll be certain it's coming from another way. Is there some kind of trick to this or not because other people, my friends and youtubers, seem to be able to pinpoint it. What's the secret?

Ps, before you say it. In that example I gave you there was only one person and he was not moving around. My friend was able to seem him while he was shooting and told me after he took him out.

... use headphones where both sides work instead of only one? Kinda hard to explain how to use ears to someone ...

Edited by Weedz

*Directs attention to post above this one...

To be honest, though, get a really good headset WITH surround sound. $20 Turtle Beaches won't cut it. If you really want to be good at DayZ, like Frankie, you need to spend at least $60 on a headset, and that's even on a budget. $100-$150 average, and $200+ for stellar pin-point sound. Good luck mate.

• Like 1

It's hard for me too, even with 5.1 headphones. There aren't many visual cues (which I like) in DayZ to tell where folks are shooting at you from. Plus, the "crack" of the rounds whizzing past is pretty distracting (which I like as well) and often times overshadows the initial sound of the weapon firing at you.

The difference in sound "efficiency" when compared to Arma3 is appaling. We can pin point enemy fire and location by ear with the A3 soundscape.

In SA is okay, acceptable, but just that. Can be improved to 2014 standards.

Even with good headset, and mine is, there are some situation where the gun sounds are just... everywhere and not...from there.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan
  • Like 1

To be honest, though, get a really good headset WITH surround sound. $20 Turtle Beaches won't cut it. If you really want to be good at DayZ, like Frankie, you need to spend at least $60 on a headset, and that's even on a budget. $100-$150 average, and $200+ for stellar pin-point sound. Good luck mate.

No, the proper way is to buy proper headphones, a seperate mic, and a sound card if you want that fake surround sound jazz. Spend the money you saved on better sound quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

I've switched to 8 channels and enabled virtual surround. It's crap and totally unnecessary. 

• Like 1

Razor has a surround sound emulation program that works really well.. if you have cheaper headphones but they are capable of surround, then I suggest trying that, as its free and an easy install/uninstall. 

Expensive gaming accessories are a gimmick and don't preform any better than normal ones. I've been using the same pair of sony headphones I got in the late 90's or early 00's that currently only cost like 5$ (used all the best shit when I was a pro FPS player and they preformed the same if not worse than these) and I shit all over Frankie as do most people. The vast majority of the stuff that happens in his video is set up by his friends especially in his DayZ videos. He also doesn't show the hours and hours or even days of himself getting wrecked between his kills. You just need to get a reputable brand and have a sound card not some Walmart special plugged directly into your motherboard or a USB port.

My guess is you guys haven't played a lot of games that don't tell you exactly where you're getting shot from with a giant red arrow in the middle of your screen.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

Well I understand how to use my ears thank you and I would not be posting a thread if I had broken headphones. The ones I have are pretty good but it's not a magic gaming one, and spending €150 on a set? I think I would rather be shot.

I was thinking that it might be a problem with the game, you know how many sound glitches there are. But it appears not, maybe it's just something I will learn over time.

You don't need surround headphones, your ears basically hear in stereo anyway. You can tell where a sound source is coming from with slight tilts of your head (tilts side to side to determine up or down and look to your sides to determine in front or behind)

Move your camera around in game and you'll be able to tell what way a sound is coming from. Also keep in mind that there are 2 sounds associated with gunfire. The shot from the gun, and the bullet hitting the ground.

• Like 2

Welcome to realism. I say that as someone who has been shot at many times. It is very confusing many times irl particularly in builtup areas. Not saying the game couldn't refine it a bit better but it isn't that far off.

I have a razor tiamat 7.1, it's amazing compared to stereo. I personally would not have spent the $200 plus for it, but it was a gift... now that I know the difference, I totally would spend the money should it ever break

• Like 1

Bah, ever since I got a new headset, my stats in battlefield sky rocketed, my deaths in Crysis fell, my counter strike performance increased. Headsets and mouses are the only gaming accessories worth buying, everything else is useless unless you play mmos.

Bah, ever since I got a new headset, my stats in battlefield sky rocketed, my deaths in Crysis fell, my counter strike performance increased. Headsets and mouses are the only gaming accessories worth buying, everything else is useless unless you play mmos.

My stats skyrocket every day from just playing the game. Can you believe that? Smile_trollface-3.gif

• Like 1

So much could be said about this small bit here.

So many people hate on Frankie. It's all opinion. I KNOW there are better players than him, but he can see people so easily, and can always hear stuff that I could never hear. 

So many people hate on Frankie. It's all opinion. I KNOW there are better players than him, but he can see people so easily, and can always hear stuff that I could never hear. 

If I made 5000 euros a month on Youtube like some sources report, I'd sure as hell stage some extreme clips.

Welcome to realism. I say that as someone who has been shot at many times. It is very confusing many times irl particularly in builtup areas. Not saying the game couldn't refine it a bit better but it isn't that far off.

Just be glad the game doesn't generate slapback echoes from buildings.

seriously?

the game's sound is broken, there's nothing to do with the headphone he's using.

• Like 1

seriously?

the game's sound is broken, there's nothing to do with the headphone he's using.

No, I play without headphones, and just speakers sometimes. I can't tell if it's behind me, to left, right, or in front. I also use 2 computers for DayZ, one has crappy $10/15 Euro Headphones that still don't enable me to check where sound is coming from. When I use my surround sound headphones, I can easily tell where the general direction of the shot was. Sound IS broken, but you are still able to recognize where it came from.

The ballistics sound effects in this game currently make no sense at all. I've heard sounds to my right when I know for a fact they were fired from my left.

The ballistics sound effects in this game currently make no sense at all. I've heard sounds to my right when I know for a fact they were fired from my left.

Your headphones are on the wrong way.

• Like 3

Your headphones are on the wrong way.

I dunno if you're attempting to be funny or you're actually trying to offer advice. Either way, 2/10.

The sound has been skewed since the alpha began.

• Like 2

I am able to tell which direction shots are coming from, most of the time. That is if I hear them lol

You can only tell general direction at best for gunshots atm.