gX-kiD

Please invest more time into bugfixing

Hi there, 

I know it was mentioned a while ago that deploying new features does not hinder fixing bugs because it is different teams working on those tasks, but please, for god's sake, make it a combined effort and invest more time into bugs. 

I work in software as well, and I know that working on bugs is a pain in the ass for every developer, working on new features is just so much more exciting. 

But nobody, and I really mean NOBODY needs a farming hoe or different coloured hats at this point, this is just a complete waste of time and effort to implement this kindas stuff into an alpha version. First get your code right, that's developing basics. 

Today I log in after quite a while, and read the patch notes while downloading the update. So apparently, since the last time you managed to get ONE single bug fixed? Seriously? I join a server, and one of the Zombies on speed runs after me, I pull my axe, click click click, nothing. I can't attack with my weapon, so I run away from him like it's the intro from the Benny Hill show or something. Nothing wrong with faster Zombies in the first place, but make sure people can ATTACK them, or to sum it up more generally: 

1) Fix shit. 

2) Add shit. 

The community ( at least all of my friends playing this, feel free to disagree with me.. ) would appreciate this a lot. 

And please, spare me the "It's alpha" nonsense, if you wouldn't want people to play the game you shouldn't have charged them. 

Thanks & bye, 

D.

You have to bring your axe up now by hitting "space bar".

Then you can hit.

Whats retarded is that you can run full speed with the axe now.

You clearly didn't play for very long before coming here to complain.

Edited by Zecele

They said that attacking with your weapon lowered is a known issue.  You have to hit space and raise it to attack position to use it.

I work in software as well, and I know that working on bugs is a pain in the ass for every developer, working on new features is just so much more exciting. 

But nobody, and I really mean NOBODY needs a farming hoe or different coloured hats at this point, this is just a complete waste of time and effort to implement this kindas stuff into an alpha version. First get your code right, that's developing basics. 

So, you work "in software" and don't realise that development and graphics / texture design are two different departments?

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

... because it is different teams working on those tasks... 

enough said ^^ 

but seriously I don't mind if they add a farming hoe or some hats in the game, as I don't think it has that much of an impact on whether the game breaks or runs stable.

However, I agree that there should be a bit more effort on fixing bugs and essential infrastructure. Especially known issues that have been around since release (e.g. Z's clipping through walls).

i actually prefer that you have to raise the weapon now to attack with it makes sense you raise an axe to swing it plus it adds the semi un threatening position of having your weapon lowered . you cant shoot guns till you raise them you cant punch unless you put your hands up i say if it wasnt intended leave it like that anyway .

• Like 2

Whats retarded is that you can run full speed with the axe now.

Only retards can't run with a fireaxe in hand. And old people. Revise your post

So, you work "in software" and don't realise that development and graphics / texture design are two different departments?

You think somebody designs a farming hoe and it magically finds its way into the game? 

So who implements it? Maybe a developer, what do you think? 

In the company I am working for we redesign our complete GUI currently, but at the moment it is just designers working on this, and when it's ready it will be revised, maybe implemented and then tested by our developers. In one of our last versions we had a large amount of bugs on the release, so we froze development of new features for quite a while and did mainly bugfixing.

This was just a necessary step at the time, but of course you can take the easy road and release already the alpha to the public, while still cashing out. When somebody is mentioning bugs you just don't give a fuck and repeat your "it's alpha" bullshit all over again. Which is true to a degree, despite the fact you charged over a million players already. But of course this doesn't come with any responsibility or obligation, since there was one sentence that said "don't buy it, it's alpha" ( while you still offered it ). 

And my apologies on the raising weapon thing, this passed me by unnoticed indeed.I promise to read patch notes and forums more often and will be back on the next patch, when the fork and pink panties will be implemented. 

Edited by gX-kiD

You think somebody designs a farming hoe and it magically finds its way into the game? 

So who implements it? Maybe a developer, what do you think? 

Considering everything for the mellee is in place already it won't take days to implement it, correct.

The majority of the work is to get the textures in place, everything else is just copy / pasta to the game, so it won't really take up any Dev's time.

Edited by kichilron

We can argue endlessly wether it takes dev time or not, but nothing takes away the fact that they fixed one single bug with the latest patch. 

I guess the new towns they will add also don't take any dev time, I mean they look like every other town in the game, so why would they...

Only retards can't run with a fireaxe in hand. And old people. Revise your post

Ok genius, go put an axe in your hand and try and chase after someone.  I guarantee you 100% you won't catch them.  Can't wait for your snappy comeback 

I see a lot of bickering back and forth in this thread, so I thought I might try and lend a hand into understanding what to expect.

Right now, for those of you whom have DayZ on Steam - you are participating in a public facing test of a title in very early development. What this means for you, is a good deal of frustration at times. I'd like to think currently DayZ has much more to offer from a gameplay experience perspective than it did when the Early Access offering was first available. However, as I said earlier - things are going to break, design is going to change and adapt, and sometimes (just like the disclaimer says at startup) you may find features not operating as expected, content incomplete, or areas of the title just plain broken.

Ideally, we try and minimize any issues like this - which is the primary leading factor in the update on Friday going to Experimental branch, rather than stable.

Moving forward over the rest of this year you will see the DayZ team focusing on the addition of core features to the title. When we release our anticipated road map of these core features, you will have a bit more transparency into the intended duration of prototyping, implementing, iterating, and so on. Completion of the Alpha "milestone" as it were, and moving into the Beta phase of the title will mean that the core features of DayZ have been implemented, and the team will begin to focus on enriching the content around these feature sets. Simultaneously, you will see the team begin to focus on bug fix as the title move towards its "Release Candidate" phase, which you will more than likely see occur in the final months of DayZ Early Access's beta.

I'm sure this is tldr for many people, but the bullet point of what I'm trying to get across is as follows:

• DayZ Early Access Alpha: Feature development, during which the vast majority of major bugs are created/occur.
  • DayZ Early Access Beta: Content development, during which the "meat on the bones" is added to the title, alongside the beginnings of major bug fixing surrounding issues created during the feature development of alpha.
  • DayZ Early Access RC (Final Beta stages): Bug Fix, optimization, and balancing. During which the stone is polished, until the DayZ dev team feels the title is ready to go live.
The important thing to take away from this is, even though we're in the phase where the majority of major issues are discovered or created, we're very aware of the problems. We read twitter, reddit, the forums and so on - and we do try and dedicate as much time as we can into ensuring the stable branch of DayZ Early Access Alpha is as fluid and enjoyable a play experience as possible.

For me, as an individual - I hate seeing bugs while watching youtube videos or twitch streams - No one is more displeased by any interruption in gameplay, than the developers.

• Like 2

I see a lot of bickering back and forth in this thread, so I thought I might try and lend a hand into understanding what to expect.

Right now, for those of you whom have DayZ on Steam - you are participating in a public facing test of a title in very early development. What this means for you, is a good deal of frustration at times. I'd like to think currently DayZ has much more to offer from a gameplay experience perspective than it did when the Early Access offering was first available. However, as I said earlier - things are going to break, design is going to change and adapt, and sometimes (just like the disclaimer says at startup) you may find features not operating as expected, content incomplete, or areas of the title just plain broken.

Ideally, we try and minimize any issues like this - which is the primary leading factor in the update on Friday going to Experimental branch, rather than stable.

Moving forward over the rest of this year you will see the DayZ team focusing on the addition of core features to the title. When we release our anticipated road map of these core features, you will have a bit more transparency into the intended duration of prototyping, implementing, iterating, and so on. Completion of the Alpha "milestone" as it were, and moving into the Beta phase of the title will mean that the core features of DayZ have been implemented, and the team will begin to focus on enriching the content around these feature sets. Simultaneously, you will see the team begin to focus on bug fix as the title move towards its "Release Candidate" phase, which you will more than likely see occur in the final months of DayZ Early Access's beta.

I'm sure this is tldr for many people, but the bullet point of what I'm trying to get across is as follows:

• DayZ Early Access Alpha: Feature development, during which the vast majority of major bugs are created/occur.
  • DayZ Early Access Beta: Content development, during which the "meat on the bones" is added to the title, alongside the beginnings of major bug fixing surrounding issues created during the feature development of alpha.
  • DayZ Early Access RC (Final Beta stages): Bug Fix, optimization, and balancing. During which the stone is polished, until the DayZ dev team feels the title is ready to go live.
The important thing to take away from this is, even though we're in the phase where the majority of major issues are discovered or created, we're very aware of the problems. We read twitter, reddit, the forums and so on - and we do try and dedicate as much time as we can into ensuring the stable branch of DayZ Early Access Alpha is as fluid and enjoyable a play experience as possible.

For me, as an individual - I hate seeing bugs while watching youtube videos or twitch streams - No one is more displeased by any interruption in gameplay, than the developers.

This should be stickied on top of every thread started.

This statement above is false in so many ways. 

What "features" have been added or significantly changed so far? 90% of the changes have been content additions ( supposed to happen in beta according to the quoted text ), and in most people's oppinion this content wasn't even necessarily meaningful.

You will lose the majority of players with this strategy, since nobody wants to use buggy software when bugs don't even get addressed ( or postponed, because procrastination is so much better than ignorance ). Once you have a RC the buzz might be over already, but at least you sold enough copies by then before you even officially released the final version. 

The more I think about it, the smarter this plan seems to me. This way you might as well fire the whole team in a few months and cancel development, you still made your buck. 

Edited by gX-kiD

What "features" have been added or significantly changed so far? 90% of the changes have been content additions ( supposed to happen in beta according to the quoted text ), and in most people's oppinion this content wasn't even necessarily meaningful.

Is that why, after the patch broke the game for a lot of people (not all, keep in mind) they immediately pushed another update to fix it again? A lot of things have already been fixed and that you can't remember that is only a good thing.

This statement above is false in so many ways. 

You will lose the majority of players with this strategy, since nobody wants to use buggy software when bugs don't even get addressed ( or postponed, because procrastination is so much better than ignorance ). Once you have a RC the buzz might be over already, but at least you sold enough copies by then before you even officially released the final version. 

The more I think about it, the smarter this plan seems to me. This way you might as well fire the whole team in a few months and cancel development, you still made your buck. 

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

Is that why, after the patch broke the game for a lot of people (not all, keep in mind) they immediately pushed another update to fix it again? A lot of things have already been fixed and that you can't remember that is only a good thing.

So, only one question from my side: Since when do Zombies glitch through walls and has this been fixed by now?

@ caboose: Thank you for bringing this to my attention again, almost forgot about it.

Most elaborate scam in the history of gaming: Charge people before having a real game, play it like crowdfunding while actually working with a 200 employee studio ( with your team in Bratislava for lower labour costs ) and deny any responsibility for the state of the game with a single word: Alpha. 

Consider me impressed.

So, only one question from my side: Since when do Zombies glitch through walls and has this been fixed by now?

@ caboose: Thank you for bringing this to my attention again, almost forgot about it.

Most elaborate scam in the history of gaming: Charge people before having a real game, play it like crowdfunding while actually working with a 200 employee studio ( with your team in Bratislava for lower labour costs ) and deny any responsibility for the state of the game with a single word: Alpha. 

Consider me impressed.

What scam?  It literally tells you not to purchase it.  

That is on the list and being worked on. You're slowly undermining your own statement of "working in software" - things like the Zombiepathing and AI aren't done in half a week. Yes, they're being worked on - but it takes a while, considering the sheer size of Chernarus and how many different places / buildings there are.

Consider me impressed.

Funnily enough I am impressed myself having to see how many people jump on here ignoring the facts of what DayZ is and what state it is in. And thus making it a quite legitimate reaction wanting to scream you in the face "ALPHA", as you don't seem to comprehend what an Alpha actually is.

Edited by kichilron

Ok genius, go put an axe in your hand and try and chase after someone.  I guarantee you 100% you won't catch them.  Can't wait for your snappy comeback 

It's only six pounds. There's something wrong if that weighs you down.

What scam?  It literally tells you not to purchase it.  

Why do they offer it then for almost the price of a full price game? Because they knew the hype, and people will buy it anyway. So you might as well put a warning in to make your life easier during development. 

This has nothing to do with supporting the game, as I said Bohemia Interactive is a 200 people company with sucessful titles and certainly some decent revenue, so the only thing they tried here is avoiding risk and making things more relaxed from the financial and development side. If it would just be for testers they could have made the paricipation free or charge a symbolic amount. But they knew the buzz, so they tried squeezing the lemon as hard as possible. 

Kilchiron your points are invalid. Before you said the fighting system is in place, so it's just about adding textures, and now this doesn't hold true for buildings? Bullshit and you know it..

Sry guys, I accept that you disagree with me, swallow further with a grin. 

I just wanted to raise my wish to invest more time into bugs, I wasn't even interested in a discussion with other players. 

Have a nice weekend

Why do they offer it then for almost the price of a full price game? Because they knew the hype, and people will buy it anyway. So you might as well put a warning in to make your life easier during development. 

This has nothing to do with supporting the game, as I said Bohemia Interactive is a 200 people company with sucessful titles and certainly some decent revenue, so the only thing they tried here is avoiding risk and making things more relaxed from the financial and development side. If it would just be for testers they could have made the paricipation free or charge a symbolic amount. But they knew the buzz, so they tried squeezing the lemon as hard as possible. 

Kilchiron your points are invalid. Before you said the fighting system is in place, so it's just about adding textures, and now this doesn't hold true for buildings? Bullshit and you know it..

I just wanted to raise my wish to invest more time into bugs, I wasn't even interested in a discussion with other players. 

Have a nice weekend

You didn't want to have a discussion yet you posted on a forum?   And the price of a full game?  Bahahaha.  Please, $30 is chump change and I've gotten more out of DayZ than I have out of any $60 triple A title.  Tell you what, come back in about a year and a half then post your displeasure as by then it may have some merit.

How is that the same? The mellee-system for the palyers is in place, and of course it only needs adding textures. This is in no way connected to the Zombie-AI and -pathing, which requires manual developing for the entire map.

Have a nice weekend

LoL actually, most of us understand completely that we paid for an early peek into the DEVELOPMENT of this game.  It's nobodys fault but your own if you didnt read or listen to any of the warnings, why are you acting like this is anything past alpha? As stated in hicks little snippet this is where most of the bugs are created and/or occur, maybe you should just uninstall completely until you hear the game is finished.