Sign in to follow this  
Marxx

What happened to the Melee?

Is it just me? My shovel won't hit anyone, left click does nothing?

Go into 'ready' stance (hit space bar). Known bug not being able to swing in passive stance.

• Like 2

Go into 'ready' stance (hit space bar). Known bug not being able to swing in passive stance.

Uhh, why is it a bug?

When you're in "ready" you should be able to swing. "Passive" you shouldn't (like it is). I don't see how it's a bug.

• Like 2

It's mean't to be like that. Not a bug. :3

• Like 2

They even spell it out VERY clearly in the first line of the change log.

• Like 2

You must first assume the warrior stance before practicing shovel-ke-jitsu my young grasshopper.

• Like 4

They even spell it out VERY clearly in the first line of the change log.

But but....I swear...it said it was a bug. ;-;

downfall.jpg

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

well, it's under "known issues" so issue sounds like it's not intended.

• Like 2

I hope they add some kind of lower weapon stance so we can see if somebody doesn't want to hit you with an axe. This bug is a nice feature but animations should be smoother.

I hope they add some kind of lower weapon stance so we can see if somebody doesn't want to hit you with an axe. This bug is a nice feature but animations should be smoother.

that's actually true. with this much zombies around, you want to have the axe in your hands for most of the time, but lowered if you encounter other players.

It's specifically mentioned in the 'Known Issues' section of the ChangeLog. This to me indicates it is a bug. It's certainly open to interpretation,

Uhh, why is it a bug?

When you're in "ready" you should be able to swing. "Passive" you shouldn't (like it is). I don't see how it's a bug.

If we are going on the whole 'realism' thing, I can certainly start my swing from a lowered position. It may be less accurate or powerful, but I am able to do it.

The lowered stance is to show other players that you don't intend on giving them a quick shovelling to the face. Hit spacebar to go into attack stance.

A shovel?! My god man, get thineself an AX!

You can't dig their graves with an Axe :)

• Like 1

You can't dig their graves with an Axe :)

Yes and no, you can use an axe to loosen the soil to make hand digging easier. Hard on the cutting edge of the axe though.

Kind of makes me wish there was an entrenching tool in game, that could be an effective melee weapon (stats slightly lower than axes) while still being usable for digging....if digging is ever a thing in this game.

well, it's under "known issues" so issue sounds like it's not intended.

It was answered somewhere here by a DayZ staff member....the "known issue" is only that you don't get the melee weapon not in "ready" stance when you left click (like it happens when you have a gun in passive stance/lowered).

That you have to get it in "ready" stance before hitting IS intentional - melee weapons are treated the same way as guns with that change.

Edited by LaughingJack

It was answered somewhere here by a DayZ staff member....the "known issue" is only that you don't get the melee weapon not in "ready" stance when you left click (like it happens when you have a gun in passive stance/lowered).

That you have to get it in "ready" stance before hitting IS intentional - melee weapons are treated the same way as guns with that change.

oh thanks for clarifying. it's just a good thing. the "ready" stance was completely useless before this update

i actually thought it was block when i played first time lol

Edited by komadose

oh thanks for clarifying. it's just a good thing. the "ready" stance was completely useless before this update

i actually thought it was block when i played first time lol

np. And...you were not the only one... -.-

Fun fact: You can block with it (melee and bullets) - if the atrtack hits your weapon the weapon will get damaged but not you (at least on internal. Haven't tried if it was applied to exp/stable)

i actually miss the old "less broken" melee

i actually miss the old "less broken" melee

actually hard to say how good it is, since there's been so much network bullshit going after the patch. we'll see when it's fixed.

actually hard to say how good it is, since there's been so much network bullshit going after the patch. we'll see when it's fixed.

i was in a melee showdown with a zombie on the second floor of electro hospital

we both "swung" at each other at the same time

his melee swipe, or my axe swing, of the collision of the two, caused me to be pushed back and clip out of the hospital second floor.

dead, by broken zeds vs broken melee.

From exp before the patch:

It's better (animations are sweet, hits should be detected better...should)...BUT: The new animations made some weapons now completely useless (Crowbar e.g.) because the range is absurd close, it's like you are swinging it with your mouth, because...well...i tried it out like that:

Sneaked up to a Z from behind. Tried to hit it with the crowbar (20 times) - only misses. Punched it - Hit.

You can only hit them, when they attack you, since they seem to come closer to you as it would be possible for you.

So, yeah, it's far from finished, but I like the way it goes (like baseball bat swinging...finally you handle that thing the way it should be used ;))

Edited by LaughingJack

Melee strikes are intended to work like firearms do now.  (Players can ADS and fire guns more quickly when from a raised stance.)

The Intended System: player can strike immediately with a melee weapon or fire/ADS a gun instantly from a raised-ready position.  Firing/ADS or striking with a lowered weapon takes longer as the weapon needs to be raised into an "ready" position before the attack/ADS occurs.  

The Current State: this works properly with firearms and does not with melee weapons.  Melee weapons must be in the raised position to strike.  The capability is not in place to raise+strike from the lowered position.