Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator

How many honorable KoSers are there?

I know, a lot of you will say that this title doesn't make sense, but bare with me.

First, look at this short video:

I'm a KoSer through and through, but I would never, EVER backstab someone who was in a position to kill me but instead didn't and either helped me or began some kind of non-aggressive interaction.

If I was the guy who was recording - I would have put a bullet in the guys head the moment I saw him (recording guy says he saw him fight a zombie and helped him - big no no from me) - but at the same time, if I was the guy caught with my pants down I wouldn't have behaved like the killer in the video either, it's just low and, frankly, disgusting to me, even though I'm a KoSer.

Basically, everyone I see and I don't get to interact with, I assume they are like the assailant in the above video. But if they are in a position to kill me and don't do it, I will not instantly be relaxed but I will refrain from shooting them at the very least

I will not kill freshies I see from long range, but if confronted with them, I will most certainly bait them into an opportunity to kill me and see if they bite. Let's just say I've killed many opportunists.

Anyone else?

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 2

Yes, on the honorable KOSer part.  :)

Just yesterday.. or maybe day before? I tracked a guy down into the Devils Castle tower. He was effectively pinned down. I could have just stayed quiet and shot him as he came out the door on the outside staircase.. but instead I waited, entered the tower and proceeded to tell him over sidechat voice that I intended to kill him with my M4. He had an SKS or Mosin.. I could not tell when I saw him. So I start to move in, now he has the advantage as I have to ascend the stairs. Then after a few tense minutes, he talks.. "please, please dont kill me man. I just got all geared up and Im still new. Please man.. I wont do anything to you." 

I felt so bad, I backed out and let him live. Had to watch my back the entire time as I left.. was not a good feeling. But it was better than just slaying the poor fellow. I went on and had good times after that :)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 2

I agree with you , what happened there is just disgusting in term of behavior.

I honnestly KoS , from a range where you could barely see me , but in a situation like that there is NO WAY i'ld open fire on this guy.

Even if I / you 'ld be afraid , the best way is to draw you weapon and start backing of. Even climbing the ladders was a terrible decision.

Douch + noob did his work, welcome to DayZ i guess

That's a reasonable way of playing. You're really just putting the odds on your side in any close-range engagement.

It's not what I'd do, and I'd kill anyone I saw doing that, but it's not a dumb way of playing. 

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 1

That's a reasonable way of playing. You're really just putting the odds on your side in any close-range engagement.

It's not what I'd do, and I'd kill anyone I saw doing that, but it's not a dumb way of playing. 

How's it goin' Ape? :)

Why does it matter if you talked to him before murdering killing him? Shooting someone is shooting someone no matter how you choose to do it. If anything, talking to them is more honorable because it at least gives them a chance to run away (the guy in that video had a clear chance to get away).

Yes, on the honorable KOSer part.  :)

Just yesterday.. or maybe day before? I tracked a guy down into the Devils Castle tower. He was effectively pinned down. I could have just stayed quiet and shot him as he came out the door on the outside staircase.. but instead I waited, entered the tower and proceeded to tell him over sidechat voice that I intended to kill him with my M4. He had an SKS or Mosin.. I could not tell when I saw him. So I start to move in, now he has the advantage as I have to ascend the stairs. Then after a few tense minutes, he talks.. "please, please dont kill me man. I just got all geared up and Im still new. Please man.. I wont do anything to you." 

I felt so bad, I backed out and let him live. Had to watch my back the entire time as I left.. was not a good feeling. But it was better than just slaying the poor fellow. I went on and had good times after that :)

Similar thing happened to me, though my guy barely lived. I was in neaf, killing as per usual, found a guy, followed him around, finally set up an ambush when he went into a building. He got out in a weird angle, dodged half of my M4 shots, which allowed him to scream 'ceasefire, please ceasefire.' I couldn't keep shooting honestly. I stopped, bandaged him, he didn't sound like a douche, he gave me some m4 clips (of his own volition) and we parted ways. Just as a precaution, I told him that I said to my sniper friend he was free to go, but I was bluffing as I was alone.

Why does it matter if you talked to him before murdering killing him? Shooting someone is shooting someone no matter how you choose to do it. If anything, talking to them is more honorable because it at least gives them a chance to run away (the guy in that video had a clear chance to get away).

Uh there was nothing honorable in that video. I shoot people on the assumption they are diahonorable dicks like that guy. If someone manages to prove otherwise, I do not do them harm. It's just hard to prove it thats all, but when it does I never betray someones trust.

I try to kill people but if they survive the engagement being unconscious, I bring them back up and let them leave. And I never deceive.

Had an interesting encounter between KoSers today. I'll make very short what was a 15min encounter:

Someone tried shooting me, i returned fire and landed a headshot, i ran like insane to the building he was laying in, assuming he would be unconscious. (noobish mistake yea) Unfortunatly there was another guy in the same building and i got shot as soon as I opened the door, becoming unconscious. My mate was still outside deciding what to do. After a while of threatening, talking and negotiation and asking for honor, the guys inside let my buddy patch me up and let us leave, after admitting that they are 4 guys in that building and the one I shot was infact still alive. The guy I was talking to was lying about that at first, but my friend saw atleast two diffrent guys up there, so I could call him on his bullshit.

They had an interest of leaving the building, which they couldn't do with my friend waiting outside.

We had an interest in saving my life and both sides kept their word.

Later the guy i talked to while being unconscious added me to steamfriends, we all then met in the nearby church to discuss what just happened.

So 6 honorable KoSers in one chruch, but it seems the circumstances and time spend promoted this.

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 1

killing is killing whether its done for duty, profit or fun.

I try to kill people and when they survive the engagement being unconscious I bring them back up and let them leave. And I never deceive.

Had an interesting encounter between KoSers today. I'll make very short what was a 15min encounter:

Someone tried shooting me, i returned fire and landed a headshot, i ran like insane to the building he was laying in, assuming he would be unconscious. (noobish mistake yea) Unfortunatly there was another guy in the same building and i got shot as soon as I opened the door, becoming unconscious. My mate was still outside deciding what to do. After a while of threatening, talking and negotiation and asking for honor, the guys inside let my buddy patch me up and let us leave, after admitting that they are 4 guys in that building and the one I shot was infact still alive. The guy I was talking to was lying about that at first, but my friend saw atleast two diffrent guys up there, so I could call him on his bullshit.

They had an interest of leaving the building, which they couldn't do with my friend waiting outside.

We had an interest in saving my life and both sides kept their word.

Later the guy i talked to while being unconscious added me to steamfriends, we all then met in the nearby church to discuss what just happened.

So 6 honorable KoSers in one chruch, but it seems the circumstances and time spend promoted this.

^ this is exactly why I play this game.. shootouts ending in friendship. I used to play the mods a lot and on the forum I frequented, those of us that played a lot, against each other.. ended up good friends. We would have epic firefights.. and then forum post about it and all the people involved would be posting about their side of the fight. Epic stuff.. :)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

My group has a fairly strict KoS policy at airfields and big cities.  We tend to go easy on Bambies and if we find a potential threat we watch them for a while to see what they do.  Occasionally we give hte benefit of the doubt and global chat or something to let them know that we see them and that they should be careful.

Funniest story, though:

We were in electro one day and in a desperate cry for action we jumped in a high-pop server.  After an hour of watching people come and go,one of our guys effectively said "Screw it, I'm gonna kill someone."  He opened fire on a pair that were running along the harbor and in his hastiness he missed and proceeded to run around, unable to reload.  I, who was in one of the cranes by the harbor and saw the whole event, popped a mosin shot at the more armed of the two.  I hit him and he went down, but was still on global voice.  His buddy wasn't armed and ran around punching my buddy probably upwards of twenty times in the back of his motorcycle helmet.  A truly humorous moment as most of us watched him run all the way out to the end of the peninsula and back screaming on ventrillo "SHOOT HIM SHOOT HIM!"  The guy on the ground told his buddy where I was, so the boxer vigorously took to a serpentine movement that proved adequate enough for me to dump upwards of twenty rounds and no more than graze him and make him poop a little.  The whole time we had a member of our group en route from cherno.  As the boxer and his victim, our friend, made their way to the west along the coast, our friend who was heading east finally arrived.  Over global, all I heard was "Shoot this guy, he's a bandit!  No! NO!  Not me, him!  HE'S THE--"  As this happened I announce over global "He's one of us" and finish of the guy who was downed earlier.  Good thing I hit him, too, because he was as fully kitted as you could get, modded M4 to boot xD.  I felt really bad for the deception in the end, but man... what an encounter.

I realize this doesn't really paint me as an honorable, KoSer, but understand that it was in the defense of one of our hasty friends xD  Karma came round and we ended up getting wiped out by a couple of sneaky KoSers.  After getting picked up by another in my party, only myself and him managed to escape from the half-dozen or so members that entered electro.  In the chaos, I actually ended up killing a friendly, one of our guys was picked off by an unseen assailant, and another was executed by the guy who downed me.  Pure chaos. 

Normally, we try to verify threat level and go from there.  If you show that you are friendly, we will react accordingly.  We're not big on handcuffing/bagging players and have yet to do so.  Worst we ever attempted was to try to loot a guy, but he ended up combat logging.

We sound pretty soulless, but as of now this is mostly the only thing to do in DayZ.  There is no rewards system.  We have given beans and medical aid, as well as advice to new players.  We all anticipate the day when it is honorable and respected to be noble, unlike the current time when heroes are looked upon as foolish and naive.

you can usually tell if a person will kill you after voice contact is initiated.

there are subltle tells in phrasing, avoidance of specifics, even tone of voice.

subtle, but there.

i find non-native-english speakers to be the least likely to KOS

Edited by pacific_coast

you can usually tell if a person will kill you after voice contact is initiated.

there are subltle tells in phrasing, avoidance of specifics, even tone of voice.

subtle, but there.

i find non-native-english speakers to be the least likely to KOS

^ Truth. 

weirdly i now implicitly trust french guys in game

they have always helped me or been so random and funny/harmless

one quote i will always rememeber

"my food will come, when the time is right, goodbye my friend"

after he gave me his last food when we were both starving, before running off the roof and sucide

I'm not so much a KOS'er then I am just a simple bandit. I generally tend to avoid people when I'm all set on gear, I don't kill freshies(not that I see many inland) or lightly kited players(unless they present a threat). I will however rob and more then likely shoot a player in the back when I need supplies or they have a item I want. 

As far as backstabbing goes I have yet to have a encounter in SA(though Ive had a few in the mod) where I have come across a player who had the jump on me but decided not to kill me, But If and when such a encounter does happen even if they had a LRS<3 I wouldn't.

As far as my thinking goes backstabbing someone who could have killed you and or just saved your life is really really messed up.

Edited by Kaw

Know what sucks?  When you wake up from being unconscious with somebody leaning over you. My first response?

"Hey, dude.  Thanks for picking me up!"

His response:

*Unloads FNX45 mag* "Get back down so I can finish looting you."

>.>"