Areos (DayZ)

What weapon was underwhelming to you?

The crossbow...

Love the idea but dislike the results.. (power, drop, aim)

I have to post for this' date=' since I found the FAL so terrible.

I see many of you arguing about how the FAL has these great iron sights on it, and I can never understand what logic it is that people use to say M16's and FAL have iron sights that can even remotely contend with the AK's tactical design, I have attached screenshots to boot:

FAL unzoomed:

FAL zoomed:

Notice the massive bulk that makes up the sight that you have to look through, blocking so much of your view, now take a look at the godly AKM:

AKM unzoomed:

AKM zoomed:

Someone PLEASE explain to me how the FAL is somehow superior to any of the AK line of weapons regarding the iron sights, because I am at a loss as to how so many people play with a weapon that takes up nearly twice as much real estate on your monitor than the AK, while doing the same damage, with a smaller magazine and extremely rare ammunition.

The AK is superior in any and all scenarios as far as I'm concerned.

[/quote']

lol the only thing that did for me is solidify the fact that the FAL is superior to the ak in every way, especially iron sights.

As a high level player' date=' MK48 is pretty disappointing.

On paper, it looks like a mean zombie slaying machine. 100 round mags, 7.62x51.

The damage is awesome. The recoil is strange, requires you to use it to understand what I'm talking about. I find I'm more lethal with the M249.

That being said, even M249 isn't that good PVP. Great for killing zombies, because 200 round mag, and 2 bullets at most will down a zombie.

I find best PvP weapons are M4/M16 (M16A4 Acog is a beautiful weapon), AKM, DMR, FAL, M14, and CZ 550/M24.

Long range sniping without AS50/M107, CZ 550 is a beautiful weapon. Long range and super high damage is beautiful. Definitely under-rated imo. M24 can replace it.

[/quote']

With the MK48 Prone is necessary.

I came upon a group of 3 players about 100ft away. I was crouched. After 3, 3 round bursts I instantly got 2 murders. The other guy shot and then disappeared.

Ah yeah I could see the mk48 absolutely dominating in a pvp ambush.. I really want one now :P

Also the penetration factor.. I bet you could take a guy out behind a concrete fence with that gun

I have to post for this' date=' since I found the FAL so terrible.

I see many of you arguing about how the FAL has these great iron sights on it, and I can never understand what logic it is that people use to say M16's and FAL have iron sights that can even remotely contend with the AK's tactical design, I have attached screenshots to boot:

FAL unzoomed:

FAL zoomed:

Notice the massive bulk that makes up the sight that you have to look through, blocking so much of your view, now take a look at the godly AKM:

AKM unzoomed:

AKM zoomed:

Someone PLEASE explain to me how the FAL is somehow superior to any of the AK line of weapons regarding the iron sights, because I am at a loss as to how so many people play with a weapon that takes up nearly twice as much real estate on your monitor than the AK, while doing the same damage, with a smaller magazine and extremely rare ammunition.

The AK is superior in any and all scenarios as far as I'm concerned.

[/quote']

The sight configuration of an FAL/m16 (just like in real life) is vastly superior to that of the ak series for mid to long range shooting, if you prefer Kalashnikov style sights then you're one of a very small minority.

It's not about how much of your peripheral is covered, it's about target acquisition on mid to long range targets, the sights on an ak just aren't conductive to fast, accurate, ranged shooting, while you're squinting at that sight post and trying to track a moving target your mate and his m16 are on their third.

The Bizon SD was a perfectly fine gun' date=' although it's absolutely pointless when guns like the M4 CCO exist with much more common ammo

[/quote']

I got to try the Bizon today for the first time, and I was pretty impressed with it. I think if the ammo was more common it would be my go to gun for zombie hunting, even over the M4.

Iron-sights of any of the guns.

Being an avid shooter, the gun doesn't need to take up the majority of screen space.

That aside... the Crossbow.

I haven't seen most of the weapons in the game yet, but so far my vote is going towards pretty much all of the non-silenced guns in the game.

I've yet to use a loud-type weapon in earnest in a situation which did not end in me being dead or crippled. Most every survivor who I actually saw shoot at me (as opposed to the bandit who shot me from half a mile away with an AM rifle) immediately got overwhelmed by hordes of zombies and messily devoured.

Pretty much the only weapons I do have a good opinion of are the axe, the crossbow, and the silenced MP5. This is probably because I've had yet to get far enough along where I'm able to actually carry a 'going loud' weapon for usage when needed to form a good opinion of their use outside of zombie hunting.

Found my first heli-crash site and got a BAF AS50!

Turns out it blows chunks. Who needs to shoot a zombie from half a click away? Even if they spawned at that distance, more would have turned up by the time you got close enough to scavenge.

Also, at shorter distances it's so loud you might as wear a giant glowing arrow saying 'FOOD HERE'.

Finally, 5 rounds per mag - and it only came with 2.

I dropped a Winny for this, and now I want it back.

Crossbow.

Hands Down.

Should be a one hit kill in the head.

Takes forever to reload.

XBOLTS Can't be re-used unless you miss, it dissapears in teh zombies, unstackable too.

Need a quiver.

I give it points for being silent.

The LA85. It was one of the weapons you are in awe of when you find them, just like the FAL.

But the scope is useless during daytime and in PvP since it is so complicated.

The only time I think the weapon would be useful is during a nighttime ambush on other players or something. Other than that, regular assault rifles are way more useful.

Crossbow.

Hands Down.

Should be a one hit kill in the head.

Takes forever to reload.

XBOLTS Can't be re-used unless you miss' date=' it dissapears in teh zombies, unstackable too.

Need a quiver.

I give it points for being silent.

[/quote']

Err the x-bow IS a one hit kill for zeds (after the 1.7.1.5 patch anyway).. still a bitch to get your bolts back.. I suggest hitting them around the knees.. easier to get the bolts back, and less chance of missing than going for the head shot.. also, if you do miss, it'll be in the ground around their feet...

The Mp5 silenced is great use burst mode and 2 quick burst will easy and fast take down the enemy

Underwhelming, as in no where near as useful as you expected? The M9SD followed by the AKM.

At the moment, with the amount of duped ammo, it is possible to keep armed with an M9SD, even if it is virtually impossible to shoot straight. But that inaccuracy once duping has been fixed will make the ammo next to impossible to find and the gun even more useless than it is now.

All the AKs are a bit lackluster compared to the M4/16s due to rubbish sights, rubbish accuracy and default auto (i always forget to switch to single shot when changing weapons!) . The AKM especially rubbish because of the noise! Grub up!

The most surprising gun range are the M4/M16. Mega in any configuration with stacks and stacks of ammo.

Crossbow is useless crap

MP5SD6 is disipointing..

DMR and M14 are the most underrated weapons.. powerfull, lots of ammo. They are also only snipers you can use with NVG's..

The M4A1 CCO SD was a major disappointment.

Unlike a lot of you I never found the M9 SD to be all that inaccurate, no more so then a Makarov anyway.

Double barrel shotgun.

Found one ages back, thought 'oh cool'.

Take aim at a zombie..'ummm'...

...*drops shottie, re-equips hatchet*

too bad it sounds like a beast.

Most disappointing gun was the M4A1 CCO SD. Terrible....

Really like the M14 for pvp.

M1014 or Remington 870. What a piece of shit guns. Good against zombies but totally useless against players since you'll need to empty the entire magazine to kill. Or AS50? That sound! It sounds like a bb gun.

The Crowbar...

No, no I'm serious... I've found compared to a hatchet, picking up a crowbar is a one way ticket to the infirmary. In my experience it does not kill a zombie as easily as a hatchet, taking two or three swings, alerting the zombie and letting it whack me back... Whilst a hatchet, crawl up behind the hapless Z and voila knock 'em down....

Silenced weapons. Filled a guy with bullets. Then he just continued living, and DC'd. Crap! Not really useful as zed protection either, because of the extreme rarity of ammo.

I liked the FAL tho. Got in my first real firefight with one of those, and won.

The Crowbar..

Agreed.

I love using the hatchet to clear a path in crowded towns. I recently started a new character and I was only able to find a crowbar to go looting elektro. What a pain in the *ss!

I almost think Rocket wanted to troll Valve and the HL fans with this weapon...

I found the FN Fall and Bison, hate em. If your not after killing surviors it totally sucks cause of the high sound and to find new mags is so fucking hard. No thanks. I rather have a remington with flashlight. Makes good damage even though it only can fire 250 m. I play at night so I dont have a chance to see the one shooting at me if I dont have NV so I just run away and I dont kill survivors unless I have to. If they are looting I leave em alone and continue to another spot.