Sign in to follow this  
activewheat

buying DAYZ

alright, so me and my brother are looking at buying dayz. we've been watching many videos of standalone and the mod but aren't sure what to buy, i know standalone will go up in price once the games furthers itself, but the mod looks so much fun with all the extra stuff atm, we plan on buying both eventually but just don't know what to settle on. because i don't want to buy standalone and get bored with it fast because there's not as much to do, but on the other hand we don't want to buy mod first and think standalone sucks later because we don't have all the extra stuff, spoiling ourselves in a way.  so any guidance would be awesome, is mod better right now till they update more stuff or should we just go for the standalone.? anyways sorry for the long post just really stumped on this decision. 

If you want content, go for the mod. The SA is not even recommended by devs if you have no intention of supporting the development. 

Atm, SA is just CoD on survial scale. 

Hi there, welcome to the forums!

Same here...the Dayz Mod has more content atm, plus there are others mods that you might enjoy...

Also, Dayz SA will be in Alpha till the end of this year, so the price is not going to change.

The current state of the game is not meant to play it, but to test it, and there are a lot of bugs and problems right now.

Never played the Mod, but even I would suggest going that route if you want immediate content.  Don't get me wrong, I like the SA, but after a few respawns the survival aspect gets fairly simple.  Then it's the ample KOS vs Pure Survival Camping, arguments you find all over the forums.

woah mod with full content ? i should have bought that instead of this buggy SA............

i would say buy the standalone

woah mod with full content ? i should have bought that instead of this buggy SA............

hah, look at breaking point for arma 3.

now thats a well polished game base (arma 3) and a wonderfully done mod on top of it.

its basically a working standalone with vehicles and humanity. But it has reached its potential and is basically a really good PVP experience with some fun survival elements.

(with amazing ballistics and weapons that SA cant touch...oh and the player movement is ace)

hah, look at breaking point for arma 3.

now thats a well polished game base (arma 3) and a wonderfully done mod on top of it.

its basically a working standalone with vehicles and humanity. But it has reached its potential and is basically a really good PVP experience with some fun survival elements.

(with amazing ballistics and weapons that SA cant touch...oh and the player movement is ace)

Breaking point sucks ass big time.

• Like 2

alright, so me and my brother are looking at buying dayz. we've been watching many videos of standalone and the mod but aren't sure what to buy, i know standalone will go up in price once the games furthers itself, but the mod looks so much fun with all the extra stuff atm, we plan on buying both eventually but just don't know what to settle on. because i don't want to buy standalone and get bored with it fast because there's not as much to do, but on the other hand we don't want to buy mod first and think standalone sucks later because we don't have all the extra stuff, spoiling ourselves in a way.  so any guidance would be awesome, is mod better right now till they update more stuff or should we just go for the standalone.? anyways sorry for the long post just really stumped on this decision. 

Not a long post by the way, it's just perfect. Honestly, just as everyone has said already, the mod will most likely be more enjoyable, and you will probably have more fun with it. There is the problem of people that have played the mod for years and years and have tons of gear, experience, and knowledge that you won't have. In Standalone, everyone knowledge base right now is very similar. Even Mod veterans have similar amounts to players who have played for 60-70 hours. Honestly, I haven't gotten bored of the Standalone after 124 hours. I almost bought the mod instead of standalone, but I decided that standalone would be better, as it is the future of DayZ. Arma 2 is getting old, and in a year or two many people will be playing standalone, and less and less will play Arma 2. Take in all the information we've shared with you, and do some research of your own, then make an informed purchase. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

get the mod, you can find arma 2 oa cheap cheap.

then you can play 20 variants of dayz. its a pretty amazing experience.

i highly recommend this to everyone who hasnt played the mod.

start with vanilla dayz, then try overwatch/dayzero/etc.

vanilla dayz is nuts, that feeling of being lost and you suddenly  find a busted up vehicle, spend all day trying to fix it. Stumble upon a downed heli crash sight full of zombies, sneak in, get some good gear, etc...fucking amazing.