Hypothetical question : Would you rather?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Icons or Text

• Icons.
    • Text.
    • No Hud.

The only icons I miss are the ones that tell you how loud or visible you are, but since zombies seem to have ESP and see through walls now it's totally irrelevant. I'm voting for text when it comes to the other things, it simply feels more natural to me that my character is thinking things to herself.

• Like 1

um... no ui except for inventory screen?

that's my vote.

i don't like text pop-ups or perma-icons crowding my screen.

if i want to check on my character's status, i check on my character's status.

also i'd like no status indicators in hardcore except for visual/audio player cues.

• Like 6

that's my vote.

I understand what you mean. I put a No Hud option for similar thinking people.

I was always a fan of icons.

I never found a problem with the old system.

The current text system is very unreliable and very vague.

We really need to replace it with something more....specific.

I like the new system to be honest. That's only my opinion, however. Feel free to disagree.

the new system is a placeholder, the question is.. icons like the mod or text like right now?

i say neither!

only in inventory screen!

peace and love peace and love

Missed one! Audio cues would be my preference  :)

They should do some work on the status effects though. I wish there was a better way to tell how long you have till you're hungry/thirsty/going to die from this disinfectant.

New ones like "I feel pain in my___" Or "I should ____ Soon" Something like that would feel more realistic than looking at colors that say thirsty and stuff.

I was in a server once, and it said (in the same color as other status effects" I have to pee. I want to be able to pee. /rant

IIRC the text system is a placeholder.

I prefer something visual of course to notify me of something going on with my character since we don't have all five senses and so forth. What it will be, I have no idea.

I'm comfortable with the symbols from the mod.

There needs to be some way for the game to tell you when you are injured and where you are injured without looking at the inventory. The greyness and blurriness + "fuck that hurts" every 5 seconds is very far from being good enough. I think text is probably the best way - it's clear, it's obvious and it allows for variety.

Edited by Pillock

Considering in RL you  would know how you felt, icons seem to be the best way to go about doing that, However, if there was a choice of systems then everyone could be a winner.

Considering in RL you  would know how you felt, icons seem to be the best way to go about doing that, However, if there was a choice of systems then everyone could be a winner.

This isn't the special Olympics.  Wait till the game is released, then play on the modded servers that will show your health, thirst, hunger, blood and ammo count in nice big numbers.(not directed at you)

that's my vote.

also i'd like no status indicators in hardcore except for visual/audio player cues.

I agree with this. No HUD. Make me check the character screen!!

that's my vote.

I agree with this. No HUD. Make me check the character screen!!

Since when do people have to pull up a menu to see if they are hungry, thirsty, hurt, wet, etc... 

This makes no sense and there is nothing "hardcore" about it.

Missed one! Audio cues would be my preference   :)

I don't think audio cues would be the best way to go. If everyone can hear them that is just stupid and if only you can hear them, then they might prevent you from hearing something that might be going on around you. Which I don't know about everyone else, but my thoughts don't prevent me from hearing anything.

I personally think that the text is the best method, as it most accurately represents a thought.

Since when do people have to pull up a menu to see if they are hungry, thirsty, hurt, wet, etc... 

This makes no sense and there is nothing "hardcore" about it.

I don't think audio cues would be the best way to go. If everyone can hear them that is just stupid and if only you can hear them, then they might prevent you from hearing something that might be going on around you. Which I don't know about everyone else, but my thoughts don't prevent me from hearing anything.

I personally think that the text is the best method, as it most accurately represents a thought.

The point in no HUD and opening a menu is that it minimizes what's on the screen therefore helping the immersion. So when I want to know how my health is doing its like taking a second in real life to look myself over.

• Like 1

Well, i don't know about you guys but i do feel pretty well if and how much i'm hungry or thirsty. I don't have to take any special actions to know my status. Icons is the only way to come close to this. The actual system is FUBAR, imho. It is completely counterintuitive and the text messages are inadequate, especially if english isn't your native language. Icons are international, everyone will understand it in a split second.

The point in no HUD and opening a menu is that it minimizes what's on the screen therefore helping the immersion. So when I want to know how my health is doing its like taking a second in real life to look myself over.

I don't see how needing to open a menu to check these things helps with "immersion". If you ask me, this would just take away from it.

I feel people want to get rid of the text because they find it annoying. When in fact, if you are hungry, thirsty, etc your body is constantly telling you that you are and there isn't much you can do about it. Sure you can ignore it, but those messages are still there.

At least we need a little bit of UI, like how "cloaked" we are for Zeds, etc.

This is a game, and will be a game.

Screw text.  Audio cues only.  B)   Characters hungry? You hear your stomach rumble.  Feeling sick?  Start whining like a little bitch :p

I'm all for the less shit on my screen the better just because that's what I prefer, I think checking your inventory screen could be kind of like checking for wounds and such. Its not difficult to just check on your statuses by pressing TAB and it doesn't clutter up the screen, and if you are hungry well your already in your inventory for quick food access. I think no matter what UI we have it wont be realistic though, for that you would need to be able to feel and think like a human being but in game.