Orgy (DayZ)

Suggestion for cutting down on bandits

We dont need anything to "cut down bandits".

We need people to stop crying so much about it.

So you're so reliant on running up to a corpse and reconnecting to make zombies vanish that you object to the OPs suggestion? This not a playstyle worthy of protection from future updates.

I don't give a shit about the arguement going on. I do want to point out though that the arguement that people wouldn't just fuck each other over and be quick to kill if some sort of Shit Hit the Fan scenerio happened is about as wrong as wrong can be.

I'll tell you what, you want to check out what its like to live in a lawless area where it is every man for themselves? There are some places in Africa, the Middle East, hell even some inner city neighborhoods you can check out, have fun with that.

Trust me, people will turn on each other given the chance. Funny how violent crime rings and things of that nature seem to strive where there is little to no system of consequences or even order in place. Where survival and bettering your own position in life are the only rules, shit gets hairy.

I don't give a shit about the arguement going on. I do want to point out though that the arguement that people wouldn't just fuck each other over and be quick to kill if some sort of Shit Hit the Fan scenerio happened is about as wrong as wrong can be.

I'll tell you what' date=' you want to check out what its like to live in a lawless area where it is every man for themselves? There are some places in Africa, the Middle East, hell even some inner city neighborhoods you can check out, have fun with that.

Trust me, people will turn on each other given the chance. Funny how violent crime rings and things of that nature seem to strive where there is little to no system of consequences or even order in place. Where survival and bettering your own position in life are the only rules, shit gets hairy.

[/quote']

There is a huge difference too being brought up rough and a sudden bad scenario happening.

If you were brought up too be a murderer you'll be a murderer..or heck you'll care much less about it and similarly if you were brought up in a zombie infested world then yeah, maybe you'd be a little more heartless. People in these sort of zones and stuff, yeah they are brought up to be like that or they are brought up in a zone like that.

And ultimately some people will just be like that anyway, there are bad people in the world but the truly bad people are much fewer than the rest of us. Yes, some of it would happen but it wouldn't be like the hunger games where everyone is forced too upon their life too kill each other.

The majority of people would certainly not kill each other over things. I don't care how you see life I've just simply been brought up better than that and I don't see the world in such a cruel light. Maybe if we were in the Middle East or Africa when zombies hit then yeah, I'd see that and people would.

Things can get crazy no ones disagreeing with that but compared too this game for example, 90% of people are hostile and shoot on sight...come on, in real life you wouldn't just pull out a gun and shoot someone just too check what he could potentially have, especially with the risk of detection by zombies by firing a bullet....In real life bullets would be more valuable than killing a man for a can of beans.

I like to think that since we're communicating over the internet on a computer, the vast majority of us are in lawful area's of the world.

Fuck some of you people have a properly fucked up view on some parts of the world and society.

So if someone had a bad upbringing they've been raised to be a murder?

I have friends from some pretty fucked up places in the world are they are totally lovely people. Its whitey next door thats used to his pleasures that fucking scares me.

There is a huge difference too being brought up rough and a sudden bad scenario happening.

If you were brought up too be a murderer you'll be a murderer..or heck you'll care much less about it and similarly if you were brought up in a zombie infested world then yeah, maybe you'd be a little more heartless. People in these sort of zones and stuff, yeah they are brought up to be like that or they are brought up in a zone like that.

And ultimately some people will just be like that anyway, there are bad people in the world but the truly bad people are much fewer than the rest of us. Yes, some of it would happen but it wouldn't be like the hunger games where everyone is forced too upon their life too kill each other.

The majority of people would certainly not kill each other over things. I don't care how you see life I've just simply been brought up better than that and I don't see the world in such a cruel light. Maybe if we were in the Middle East or Africa when zombies hit then yeah, I'd see that and people would.

Things can get crazy no ones disagreeing with that but compared too this game for example, 90% of people are hostile and shoot on sight...come on, in real life you wouldn't just pull out a gun and shoot someone just too check what he could potentially have, especially with the risk of detection by zombies by firing a bullet....In real life bullets would be more valuable than killing a man for a can of beans.

I like to think that since we're communicating over the internet on a computer, the vast majority of us are in lawful area's of the world.

You are correct in some regards, but only flaw in your thinking is that you assume that some massive crazy event would leave you the same person you are now. Fear, true constant fear of death will make you do things that will suprise even your self.

That's why this game is an interesting social experiment. Yes there are asshole griefers but they are not the majority by any means. When you take people and put them in a situation where death suddenly means something, even though it's a game, on some levels it gives an interesting insight into human instinctual behaviour. Does the fact that you're not REALLY killing someone matter? Yes of course but Fight or Flight is built into us and comes out in all manner of situations, not just true life or death and I'm willing to bet the majority of PKing/PvPing/Whatever you want to call it has more to do with protecting THEIR stuff/selves then it does with taking yours. The loot is just a bonus.

The kill on sight mentality is the TRADEMARK of mainstream FPS games

Yet DayZ has it and somehow manages not to resemble any of those games in any way.

And yet again you fail to address my basic question. Why is it fun and amazing and spectacular if the game is full of mindless zombies who "kill on sight" but as soon as it has players doing the same' date=' suddenly it's CoD? I guess kill on sight is only bad if they actually have a chance of succeeding?

You can shut off your humanity and kill people because it's cool.

2 kills in the last 19 days, remember? That's not what I do. We just fucking talked about this.

You can ignore thinking about situations

No, I actually can't. I have to think about everything I do in the game because I know I'm facing a human enemy who is dangerous and unpredictable, not a scripted AI that I can fool and cheat and avoid entirely. I think about every decision I make. Every step I take. Every sound I make I consider. I think constantly in the game. Why? Because human enemies are hunting me and I don't know how they are going to act.

Do you feel happy knowing that you can finally have all the random deathmatching

2 kills. 19 days. 1 death in the last 32. Remember? We've talked about all of this before. I will keep repeating it until you at least pretend like you hear me and then resort to accusing me of lying about it no doubt. Anything to support your preconceived notions of superiority.

brainless trolling, and bigotry you want?

Trolling? Bigotry? What are you on about now, dude? It seems like the more you write, the more ridiculous shit you just start pulling out of your ass and slapping up on the screen. Seriously. Bigotry? What the fuck are you fucking talking about? Can you justify accusing me of that in any land that isn't a fantasy one constructed in your head?

Because when games finally do collapse, when innovation is entirely lost on the industry, and when you're sitting there with nothing left to do but kill people, the real victims will be us. The original gamers.

You're a hero. That's what you are. You're right. Fighting the good fight. Not giving up until you succeed in taking PvP out of the one game in the history of the online gaming industry that looks like it might actually get it right finally. The game we have all been waiting for, dreaming about, as each and every game in the past 15 years has promised PvP and then disappointed us with watered-down, mainstream bullshit.

Now, now when there's finally an opportunity to see truly unrestricted PvP and player-driven content in an open-world succeed in a very real way, now you're going to swoop in like some kind of misguided super hero and rescue us all from it. Thank you SO much, kind sir. I almost had the gaming experience I've been waiting for all my life until you showed up and made me realize that I was wrong and what I really wanted was another generic zombie survival game. You have truly rescued me from a fate untold. Others surely will see it too, and shower you with gifts, flowers, and all the handjobs you desire.

Where does the intelligent and decent gamers go?

I don't know. I play DayZ. You can go wherever the fuck you want.

Have fun with your 4chan

What are you talking about? Why are you just saying things that have no basis in reality? Do you think if you just say them they become true? I really don't understand why your posts are peppered with these fucking ridiculous personal predictions and accusations, all of which thus far have been woefully inaccurate by the way.

I'll tell you what' date=' you want to check out what its like to live in a lawless area where it is every man for themselves? There are some places in Africa, the Middle East, hell even some inner city neighborhoods you can check out, have fun with that.

[/quote']

I see numerous posts like this in every thread. Did you READ the suggestion? Is there a lot of server disconnecting to get rid of zombies in real life?

And generally this whole idea is hilarious. You think people are dicks in DayZ because shit the fan and everyone is fighting to survive? Everyone could have infinite beans and mountain and a giant mansion and there could be no zombies and ... it would be exactly the same. Because it's a shooter and people play shooters to shoot people.

Fuck some of you people have a properly fucked up view on some parts of the world and society.

So if someone had a bad upbringing they've been raised to be a murder?

I have friends from some pretty fucked up places in the world are they are totally lovely people. Its whitey next door thats used to his pleasures that fucking scares me.

THANK YOU. Honestly the scariest people in this type of situation would be the ones who fell the farthest. Thats what would make this type of scenerio scary as fuck to live through.

And I hope you're refering to his reply to me' date=' because I in no way insinuated that people with a crappy upbringing or from certain parts of the world are automatically murderers or scum. I speak of reactionary behaviour, not learned.

The locations I listed are just some that I either have personal experience with or solid knowledge of, places that can offer an interesting look into what happens in SHTF/Survival situations.

[hr']

I don't give a shit about the arguement going on.

I see numerous posts like this in every thread. Did you READ the suggestion? Is there a lot of server disconnecting to get rid of zombies in real life?

And generally this whole idea is hilarious. You think people are dicks in DayZ because shit the fan and everyone is fighting to survive? Everyone could have infinite beans and mountain and a giant mansion and there could be no zombies and ... it would be exactly the same. Because it's a shooter and people play shooters to shoot people.

To be completely honest, like I said I don't give a shit about the OP, Im using this as a way to have a conversation as I sit bored at work. Is it right? No, maybe not but I'm not here to stir up a fire or blindly argue. Im just here to have an intelligent discussion back and forth. Sorry I know the internet is much too silly a place for that sort of thing :P

the real victims will be us. The original gamers. The ones that played with friends in arcades and watched as our favorite pastime was turned into a mindless kill-box for socially inept' date=' angst driven people. Rocket finally came out and admitted that he's supporting this mindless and senseless killing, so there...it's over.[/quote']

You're 21. You were born in the 90's. By the time you could reach a joystick arcades were already dead. Stop talking out of your ass.

the real victims will be us. The original gamers. The ones that played with friends in arcades and watched as our favorite pastime was turned into a mindless kill-box for socially inept' date=' angst driven people. Rocket finally came out and admitted that he's supporting this mindless and senseless killing, so there...it's over.[/quote']

You're 21. You were born in the 90's. By the time you could reach a joystick arcades were already dead. Stop talking out of your ass.

Entirely off the tanget of this topic, but wow. Harsh, man.

I visited the arcade down the street from me every day and probably spend hundreds of dollars worth of quarters there. And I'm nineteen.

Really shouldn't judge people's experiences based off of how old you think they are. It's not like every arcade in the world is destroyed and replaced with some caddy-ass corner store.

They can't shoot back because the zombies will get them' date=' while bandits sit high up in zombie free areas, picking people off with not-so-rare sniper rifles

[/quote']

Maybe that's the real problem. Take out all the fancy military stuff (assume the military took all their stuff except for some broken vehicles) and then you won't need these other gimmicks. All you should get are civilian weapons such as makorovs, winchesters and crossbows. Flashlights and flares, not nvgs.

It was a example not fact, not everything is as simple as a straight line. I'm sure people who have been brought up rough are completely lovely people too I never said that I just generalised a statistic...the way you're brought up and the environment you live in influences how things are, it's why people in the USA are different too people in Africa and yet there are bad people in both of these area's.

If there was a island where you were brought up where people just killed people on a whim and for each others stuff then you'd be severely different too another island that lived lived without a single murder ever happening.

So yeah, people would be different in real life and better in some places, worse in others but obviously this game doesn't reflect that because of anonymity being on the Internet brings.

I'm personally shocked that Terror or anyone would suggest that if something like this were too happen that people would kill over a can of beans and stuff...Really?

People in the real world aren't a bunch of murderers and psychopaths without emotions' date=' no matter how hard you think you are after playing a simulation of such a event over the internet.

Sure, if your mind was clouded from severe starvation, fear and other emotions then yes, if you lost your mind then maybe you'd do stuff like that...but insanity and "people in real life would kill on sight for a can of beans" are two different things.

Heck, in real life you wouldn't even shoot someone for a can of beans, why the hell would you? And attract a huge horde of zombies? It wouldn't be worth it...in real life you'd play it smart and you couldn't just disconnect to remove agro from the zombies.

[/quote']

It's not that people are simply starving. It's that people just saw zombies (formerly known as 'my dear loving spouse') eat their 6 month old baby right in front of them. That's why everyone is a little insane and can't trust anyone.

Steps for cutting down on bandits:

1. Get hatchet

2. Use hatchet to cut down on bandits

3. Repeat

Then fix the damn title.

We dont need to cut down bandits' date=' we need to cut down server hoppers and DCers.

I agree with that.

Bandits dont ruin this game, exploiters do.

[/quote']

The title is fine. The side effect of the fix is that bandits will become less common, which is what I'd like most from this fix. Bandits do ruin the game because they make the survivors afraid to interact with any other player. It turns into a big one player game unless you already have other friends from outside of the game that play. If this were meant to be a one player game, I don't think it'd require an internet connection.

I have to confess i didn't read past this post in the thread but my 10 pence is i don't think bandits do actually ruin the game, Or they wouldn't if easily identified.

the OP is right, there should be some penalties and it's been mentioned several times in the thread. I have a thread that I've already put up about the DC'ing exploit and possible fix. As well as an idea to try restore some of this community feel. The plan shouldn't be to remove banditry. It's what gives this game something completely different. But in its current form, its a shoot or be shot world. The goal should be to know who's a friend and who is foe. Trust... now that's a whole new topic. Check out my signature post.

Let me find explosives' date=' with a dead mans switch.

You kill me, come to loot my corpse. Boom.

Let me booby trap my pack.

[/quote']

A friend of mine suggested grande traps.

If I find a grenade, and put it in my pack, have a right-click action that says 'use as booby trap' - the grenade then takes up 4 slots instead of 1, and either require it to be disarmed each time you open the pack (by right clicking on the pack before opening it, maybe) or it has to be disarmed by right-clicking the grenade within 5 seconds or opening the bag.

I don't know, I don't think it would work, but it seemed worth at least mentioning.

Nice deathmatch game you've got there DayZ. I think it'd make a nice sandbox game. All you'd have to do is reward more than one style of play. You can leave PvP as it is, and give bonuses to players who work together:

-Blood bags are the only way to recover blood

-Players can assist each other in actions to reduce the time it takes to complete them

-Give players more intuitive controls for controlling their posture (holstering/pointing their weapons, surrendering) to DEMONSTRATE their intentions as well as just communicating them

Most bandits like to loot their victims' date=' right? Right. Sure, some don't care to, but I believe this might help stop bandits that do, and WITHOUT giving them an unfair disadvantage.

Check it:

I'm sure many bandits, when looting their victim, will simply sprint up the corpse. Less time in the open, less time wasted. This of course attracts zombies and aggros the hell out of them, making it hard to loot the corpse.

*POOF!* They log out, and the zombies disappear. They log back in and the zombies don't. No risk from the zombies while they loot. They sprint back out of the area, and repeat.

What if, when a character disconnects, the amount of zombies that are aggroed on the character gets saved, as well as their position, so that when they log back in, they're still there and ready to eat?

I believe this will also cut down on average survival time, as well.

Thoughts?

[/quote']

Having your character stick around when you log out for 10-15 seconds would be the perfect way to fix the logout problem.

You are wrong to think that your suggestion would slow the murder rate though; most people kill regardless of loot. If they didn't then you wouldn't hear people crying about being killed whilst weaponless

There's no point in cutting down on bandits. Period.

But the bandit skin needs to return. Removing it was beyond asinine and I know pissed off a lot of people. So many people came to the game because of things like bandit skins and then they remove them and piss us off for having spent $30 for a mod that had multiple features removed that we came to the game for.