Orgy (DayZ)

Suggestion for cutting down on bandits

Most bandits like to loot their victims, right? Right. Sure, some don't care to, but I believe this might help stop bandits that do, and WITHOUT giving them an unfair disadvantage.

Check it:

I'm sure many bandits, when looting their victim, will simply sprint up the corpse. Less time in the open, less time wasted. This of course attracts zombies and aggros the hell out of them, making it hard to loot the corpse.

*POOF!* They log out, and the zombies disappear. They log back in and the zombies don't. No risk from the zombies while they loot. They sprint back out of the area, and repeat.

What if, when a character disconnects, the amount of zombies that are aggroed on the character gets saved, as well as their position, so that when they log back in, they're still there and ready to eat?

I believe this will also cut down on average survival time, as well.

Thoughts?

The zombies should not be locked to the DC'ed character himself, but to the corpse of a player he recently killed, that's easier and it would probably not result in any issues

We dont need anything to "cut down bandits".

We need people to stop crying so much about it.

Perhaps a combination of both. A dead player nearby should attract zombies for a feast, but the zombies should also lock to players that draw aggro.

If you're not going to contribute' date=' then stay out. We [i']do need to cut down on bandits, because it's ruining the community. I'm not crying about bandits. In fact, I've taken to banditry sometimes, myself. What we really need is people to stop entering threads with "hurr stop crying lets just leave the game exactly like it is and not improve it at all". Get over yourself, kid.

If this happened in real life, you wouldn't say to yourself "oh shit another person! quick shoot him before he shoots us!"

You'd try to preserve ammunition and hope you can work together with them. Think about it. In a world where everything's gone to hell and you're constantly worried about getting eaten by zombies, do you really think you'd just shoot every real human being on sight? No. Grow up.

If you're not going to contribute' date=' then stay out. We [i']do need to cut down on bandits, because it's ruining the community. I'm not crying about bandits. In fact, I've taken to banditry sometimes, myself. What we really need is people to stop entering threads with "hurr stop crying lets just leave the game exactly like it is and not improve it at all". Get over yourself, kid.

If this happened in real life, you wouldn't say to yourself "oh shit another person! quick shoot him before he shoots us!"

You'd try to preserve ammunition and hope you can work together with them. Think about it. In a world where everything's gone to hell and you're constantly worried about getting eaten by zombies, do you really think you'd just shoot every real human being on sight? No. Grow up.

You are not contributing to anything either, buddy. You are just crying and trying to shove your playstyle over our throats. If you don't like bandits, avoid them. There is no need to change anything with the bandit system.

And if this happaned in real life i don't think people would go and "Hey look, that fella got lots of crap we need! Let's help him!"

Nop.

People would just kill each other for a can of beans. Just like DayZ.

actually yes we do, we need to fix this before its gets out of hand...

You are not contributing to anything either' date=' buddy.

[/quote']

Yes, I am. I'm giving suggestions that would help the game.

You are just crying and trying to shove your playstyle over our throats.

Wrong again. I'm not crying' date=' nor am I trying to shove my playstyle down your throats.

If you don't like bandits, avoid them. There is no need to change anything with the bandit system.

If that were true, then why would rocket be trying to add a way to identify bandits? Why do you think he added in the heartbeat? Think before communicating.

And if this happaned in real life i don't think people would go and "Hey look' date=' that fella got lots of crap we need! Let's help him!"

Nop.

[/quote']

Yes. If you teamed up with him, you'd not only be able to add his supplies to your own, but you'd have an additional set of arms to help out.

Perhaps in the beginning, sure. Until idiots like you die out and we're left with the useful people.

Aside from all that, it also fixes an exploit that I'm going to go ahead and guess you use. Logging out to avoid zombie mobs.

Let me find explosives, with a dead mans switch.

You kill me, come to loot my corpse. Boom.

EDIT: that didn't make sense.

Let me booby trap my pack.

actually yes we do' date=' we need to fix this before its gets out of hand...

[/quote']

Exactly. I'm okay with bandits, and it's definitely a part of the game. As it should be. However, I feel that once the zombies get fixed, they should be buffed. Zombies should be the main threat, not humans. But that's for another thread at a future time.

As I was saying, bandits are and should be a part of the game, but we shouldn't be at the point where we all just shoot each other "just in case". Meeting someone should pose a risk, obviously, and players should be cautious of other players. They shouldn't be completely afraid of them. It's at the point now where I won't even play unless my friends are on to travel with me, and it shouldn't be like that. This is a game where someone should be able to go solo and just meet a few new people.

It seems that Terrorfex completely missed the point...

Exploiting is not a "game style" and it should be removed.

As for OP - not only bandits use abort to avoid getting overrun by zombies.What we really need is a long time your character stays ingame when you disconnect,somewhere near 30 seconds.This way if you'll try to disconnect when in hairy situation you'll get nommed.Same approach solves fleeing from undesired pvp.

And while we are at it - fix refilling mags on disconnection :D

Then fix the damn title.

We dont need to cut down bandits, we need to cut down server hoppers and DCers.

I agree with that.

Bandits dont ruin this game, exploiters do.

You and EVERYONE like you are the ones shoving YOUR style of gameplay down OUR throats, don't give me that "it's a free game" bullshit. Survivors don't have the freedom to survive because assholes are too busy shooting for shits and giggles like this is some arcade FPS.

Then fix the damn title.

We dont need to cut down bandits' date=' we need to cut down server hoppers and DCers.

I agree with that.

Bandits dont ruin this game, exploiters do.

[/quote']

The title is fine. The side effect of the fix is that bandits will become less common, which is what I'd like most from this fix. Bandits do ruin the game because they make the survivors afraid to interact with any other player. It turns into a big one player game unless you already have other friends from outside of the game that play. If this were meant to be a one player game, I don't think it'd require an internet connection.

I have a better idea. NO ONE SHOT KILLS WHILE A PERSON IS LOOTING! EVERY time I have been killed it is when I am bent over looting a corpse or loot item and can't see anything or react quickly. It sucks and needs to change.

I don't mind being shot at when looting but lets get rid of the griefers in the towers or on the grassy knolls and give real players a chance to react.

If we go with the first option, of having the server be in charge of counting the zeds aggro'd to you, that's going to put a lot of strain on the server. I don't exactly know how the aggro mechanics work, but I do know (or rather, have heard) that pathing is mostly client side as soon as you're aggro'd. So if it's going to put additional strain on the server to have to count who has how many zeds, I'm gonna have to go with nay.

As with the second option, of having dead players attract zeds, that's pretty much cheese on the game's part. There's really no reason to loot a zed magnet, because you can't avoid them. Whereas in nearly any other situation in this game, you can avoid the zombies.

I personally don't see what the problem with banditry is. Myself and my crew have never done something as stupid as sprinted directly at a corpse to check it, thus never needing to D/C for this reason. If it fades, it fades. Oh well. No reason to risk your life for potentially shit loot.

Zombies in the woods, end of sniping bandits as we know it.

Then they'll just start DCing, but the zombies will stay. I'm sure they hate to have their next AS50 dropped in from off the map. That 10 minute wait for end game loot is something they're not used to anymore.

could not have put it in better words. Exactly what i mean.

this is NOT COD or BF, if you want to just walk around shooting up ppl go play COD, BF or CS etc. It is very annoying to be walking around for 45 min searching for a weapon and suddenly you get chased by zombies and some noobassplayer shoots you in the back instead of the zombies. It has become impossible to play solo with all this jackasses walking around shooting at first sight.

[/quote']

Exactly. I'm okay with bandits, and it's definitely a part of the game. As it should be. However, I feel that once the zombies get fixed, they should be buffed. Zombies should be the main threat, not humans. But that's for another thread at a future time.

As I was saying, bandits are and should be a part of the game, but we shouldn't be at the point where we all just shoot each other "just in case". Meeting someone should pose a risk, obviously, and players should be cautious of other players. They shouldn't be completely afraid of them. It's at the point now where I won't even play unless my friends are on to travel with me, and it shouldn't be like that. This is a game where someone should be able to go solo and just meet a few new people.

You and EVERYONE like you are the ones shoving YOUR style of gameplay down OUR throats' date=' don't give me that "it's a free game" bullshit.

[/quote']

Nope. Despite your EMPHATIC use of capitalization, that's really not what's happening. You are free to play the game in whatever way you wish. We are not forcing you to play like us, nor is anyone forcing you to be victimized. Play however you want. Really. I promise you're allowed.

You and EVERYONE like you are the ones shoving YOUR style of gameplay down OUR throats' date=' don't give me that "it's a free game" bullshit. Survivors don't have the freedom to survive because assholes are too busy shooting for shits and giggles like this is some arcade FPS.

[/quote']

I'm no bandit, bro.

I have like 2-3 murders in my entire DayZ experience and i have been playing this game for a long time.

And i agree with you that retards shooting for fun are annoying. That's why i avoid them. But i don't think we should remove people's option to do so. That's worst than the problem IMO.

And the removal of side chat just ruined every chance to get a group of survivors together. The first time i've played Day Z we managed to band a group of 5-6 survivors to kill a few bandits in the school in Elektro.

Right now ? It's just every man for himself.

Exactly. I'm okay with bandits' date=' and it's definitely a part of the game. As it should be. However, I feel that once the zombies get fixed, they should be [i']buffed. Zombies should be the main threat, not humans. But that's for another thread at a future time.

I love this argument.

Too many mindless killers in the game! Please add more mindless killers.

The only reason you prefer the zombie threat over the human threat is that zombies are AI and you know that no matter how good a zombie AI is, you will always be able to beat it. But a human intelligence, well, that you're not so sure of.

So it's not actually the "mindless killing" that you have a problem with, it's moreso the ones WITH a mind than you're afraid of.

Well, too bad. Adapt and survive or die over and over again.

[/quote']

It's the end of the world. It's SUPPOSED to get out of hand.

You and EVERYONE like you are the ones shoving YOUR style of gameplay down OUR throats' date=' don't give me that "it's a free game" bullshit.

[/quote']

Nope. Despite your EMPHATIC use of capitalization, that's really not what's happening. You are free to play the game in whatever way you wish. We are not forcing you to play like us, nor is anyone forcing you to be victimized. Play however you want. Really. I promise you're allowed.

That's a pathetic argument from a griefer. Hands down. Survivors are not free to play a surviving game because there's no survival to be had. Survivors are forced to be victims because the only other alternative is banditry. They can't shoot back because the zombies will get them, while bandits sit high up in zombie free areas, picking people off with not-so-rare sniper rifles as if they had a ceiling hack from Counter Strike. You say "learn to adapt" but what you really mean is "learn to kill people"

How is that not forcing PvP down someone's throat? Because even if they want to survive, they still have griefers shoving it down with no say or ability to fight back without becoming griefers themselves. The game revolves around who shoots first, making the entire concept of survival all about just that, who shoots first.

Call it survival, but it's forced banditry whichever way you want it. In DayZ, you are FORCED to be a bandit, or else you cannot play, just respawn all the time.

OP made a nasty mistake of pinning this on the bandits. Logging out to avoid the zombies is pretty close to an exploit, and it's not isolated to the example you made. Wether it is a person running with a train a Zs, then disconnecting->reconnecting to reset them when he reaches the building of his choice, or a player killing another and doing the same so he can safely loot, it's not okay and will likely get fixed eventually.

No matter if you're scavenging and PvP'ing, you should be forced to plan ahead and deal with any attention from Zs you pick up.

I love this argument.

Too many mindless killers in the game! Please add more mindless killers.

The only reason you prefer the zombie threat over the human threat is that zombies are AI and you know that no matter how good a zombie AI is' date=' you will always be able to beat it. But a human intelligence, well, that you're not so sure of.

So it's not actually the "mindless killing" that you have a problem with, it's moreso the ones WITH a mind than you're afraid of.

Well, too bad. Adapt and survive or die over and over again.

[/quote']

Seems you missed the point entirely. I enjoy hunting players from time to time. Why not during that zombie buff give them some better AI? I didn't say keep them retarded. Hell, introduce new zombies. Ones that can track you down. Perhaps throw in a few random zombies that know how to shoot still, I don't know. Fact is that banditry should be a part of the game, not all there is to it. Step away from your biased perspective and think about it for a moment; you'll realize I'm right.

My argument was that zombies should be the main threat, not the humans. Am I not right? Is this not a zombie survival game, rather than a human survival game?

No matter if you're scavenging and PvP'ing' date=' you should be forced to plan ahead and deal with any attention from Zs you pick up.

[/quote']

He has every right to pin it on Bandits, all things considered. Survivors play DayZ for the survival aspect, whereas most (but not all) bandits play DayZ because it's "just a game"

The odds of someone immersing themself in the DayZ universe then turning around and breaking said immersion is extremely low.

But, if you're some PvPers that doesn't give a shit? It's the easiest way to avoid losing your "killstreak"

I have a better idea. NO ONE SHOT KILLS WHILE A PERSON IS LOOTING! EVERY time I have been killed it is when I am bent over looting a corpse or loot item and can't see anything or react quickly. It sucks and needs to change.

I don't mind being shot at when looting but lets get rid of the griefers in the towers or on the grassy knolls and give real players a chance to react.

hahahaha