SerasVictoria (DayZ)

SKS : can't hit over 200m

Maybe my point didn't get across. Someone used to playing FPS's can obviously counter the aging effects on their reflexes. Bob Munden is a trick shooter, who makes a livelihood on his skill. He trains regularly and therefor counters some of the effects of aging. My point with this was that if you're a good FPS-player you'll be favoured because you'll have been training. If you're a younger person with naturally better reflexes you'll be favoured. If you're neither of the two you're not favoured by such a system.

Actually Bob Munden is genetically different than the rest of us but my point was that people are different and older people may not be as slow as you think (hence my post about bob). 

Actually Bob Munden is genetically different than the rest of us but my point was that people are different and older people may not be as slow as you think (hence my post about bob). 

I don't think old people are necessarily slow. I said that people who train a certain sort of action or actions are better at performing those same actions that someone who doesn't train them. As is someone who is younger naturally better reflexively than someone 20 years older or more.

Bob Munden is genetically different? I highly doubt that. He's just very skilled and a highly trained trick shooter. Nothing supernatural about that.

There's some constructive feedback. Couple that with increased fatigue from a heavy load and you'll get plenty of dispersion "naturally" when people run and fight.

I'm still not sure how they would be able to implement wind as a factor into the game however. And by wind I mean wind that you as a player can calculate when shooting at long distances.

Google ACE mod. There is a prime example and implementation of windage. The weapon dispersion, even as jacked as they are, isn't the heart of the matter. It's that it is completely random and nothing can mitigate, change, or alter the randomness as it is now. Nothing you do will affect the random cone of fire in game right now. That's is the problem. We all expect some dispersion, to a mild degree anyway. Implementing weapon sway, heavier breathing, fatigue, encumbrance, and injury affects are well within the ability of the game engine. Adding wind is also within the engines ability, but this is more of a polishing affect because it realisticly wouldn't affect most shooting done, under 300m, and really only affect long distance shooting.

I demand that they defer all things gun-related to Gews directly. Ok, not demand, but I'd certainly prefer if they either pay attention to someone who knows what they are doing (Gews) or just pop back in the Arma values.

Gews even pointed out that Arma values were off...I fuckin' love that guy.

I don't think old people are necessarily slow. I said that people who train a certain sort of action or actions are better at performing those same actions that someone who doesn't train them. As is someone who is younger naturally better reflexively than someone 20 years older or more.

Bob Munden is genetically different? I highly doubt that. He's just very skilled and a highly trained trick shooter. Nothing supernatural about that.

Bob Munden laughs at you all. He's younger in this clip but he must have been 60 in the other video I saw and he managed this. Skip to 1:30 and then on to 2:20 and be prepared to pick up your jaw ;)

LOL!! This guy is AMAZING; great find!

@ 01:20 -

Bob: "Nobody does anything faster than what I can do with guns"

Reporter: "Can you give any comparison to something that would come close but is not as fast?"

Bob: "Speed of light"

giphy.gif

Edited by Mr Jizz

tumblr_mbuxt4TyRC1rw2uyvo3_1280.jpg

Zero is actually based on Bob Munden, true story

Or it's lost in translation. In Swedish a clip is called "magasin". You can see how that can easily get confusing for a Swede. ;)

Well, military training includes, among other things, learning how to move with a weapon, how to catch the recoil with your body, how to breathe, and so on and so forth. Irl military training has everything to do with if you can shoot or not. In-game some of that knowledge can be translated into helping you become a good shot as well, since the game is built on the Real Virtuality engine, which is made to be realistic in how gunplay works. If you're ignorant of that fact however, you'll still be bad. :)

Can we please stop with the Ultra-Realism? IRL, yes military training can help you be a better marksman. Is it needed? No. I have no military training (yet) and I have hit 300m target while standing with an AR-15. Saying that you need military training to correctly fire a weapon is a bit incorrect and is too realistic for DayZ. Yes we need some realism, but not to the point where it takes away fun from the game.

Google ACE mod. There is a prime example and implementation of windage. The weapon dispersion, even as jacked as they are, isn't the heart of the matter. It's that it is completely random and nothing can mitigate, change, or alter the randomness as it is now.

The ACE mod also had large random dispersion for many guns, much more dispersion than the ArmA equivalents.

Bob Munden is fantastic. Genetically different however? No. He just happens to be a dude who found something that he has a talent for and likes doing. So he's been doing it a lot, and is very good at it. He's got amazing eye-hand coordination, and it's not even sure that he's the best there can possibly be at what he does. There are plenty of people who never do anything with their talents. Make no mistake, I truly enjoy watching skilled people performing, and I've watched videos with Bob before. The problem is that such tv shows try to make something seem more supernatural than it is. It's like stage magic, and Bob is a true performer. What he does looks unreal, but it's pretty simple to explain. So apart from an amazing eye-hand coordination, an extremely high spatial intelligence, well trained reflexes and good eyesight, there is nothing special about Bob Munden. Although I would agree that those attributes I named are special in themselves.

We as humans have a tendency to marvel at things we do not understand (and that video doesn't make any effort to make things seem less magical) and dismiss it as cheating or fake. Simply because we can't wrap our heads around something. Raise of hands, how many here have been accused of hacking while playing multiplayer games that you're good at, even though you didn't hack? Why is that? Because people view the world from their own perspective, and if they can't perform a feat it seems unreal at first. We need to take apart and understand it on a fundamental level to accept it as real.

Enough of my ranting. Bob Munden is awesome, but not by being genetically different.

Can we please stop with the Ultra-Realism? IRL, yes military training can help you be a better marksman. Is it needed? No. I have no military training (yet) and I have hit 300m target while standing with an AR-15. Saying that you need military training to correctly fire a weapon is a bit incorrect and is too realistic for DayZ. Yes we need some realism, but not to the point where it takes away fun from the game.

Why are you quoting me if you're arguing against some point that I haven't brought up?

Edited by Strawman

Completely off topic but you brought back some very fond memories and made me a little wet.

Raise of hands, how many here have been accused of hacking while playing multiplayer games that you're good at, even though you didn't hack?

Oh man, back in my WolfET days every fuckin' day...man, I wish I would have saved my recordings. Anyone who thinks snipers are cheap in this game never played against me in my heyday and would be crying in the fetal position. I fought every ban tooth and nail and even taught some people how to emulate what I did...damn that was fun times, noquarter was just fuckin' epic sniper domination for me. You've got me grinning ear to ear remembering that shit. Fuckin' awesome.

• Like 1

The ACE mod also had large random dispersion for many guns, much more dispersion than the ArmA equivalents.

But you're able to manage it through positioning, bipods, breathing, and all that stuff. Sure, if you want to dump a mag at a target it's going to be a crap shoot.

i've had no problem using the sks in game to "snipe" with. i wish the scope would zero more than 300 meters because the rifle should be as accurate as the carbine barrel on the m4 and with the acog the m4 is able to zero to 700 meters.

just checking though;

1. are you zeroing the scope?  default page up/page down keys. gotta set those for accurate shots

2. is the scope damaged. if its not pristine shots will be off.

3. are you prone? like that one guy said, theres a bug with the bullets hitting the dirt in front of the gun if youre prone now.

4. youre holding right mouse to hold your breath

i had a pristine rifle and scope and have no problem  1 shot 1 killing zombies at ~300 meters.  hard part is getting players to stand still unless they afk, and once you aim towards a zombie, if its facing you no matter the distance it will start running towards you. PU scope for sks right now is supposed to be 3.5x zoom but its bugged and not.

edit: i just realized i posted this without reading the other 6 pages so i apologize if this was already answered

• Like 1

are you zeroing the scope?  default page up/page down keys. gotta set those for accurate shots

So that's how it's done. I couldn't find it scrolling through the controls in the menu. Beans.