Sign in to follow this  
Emigrantes

Survival will arrive in a week ?

At the beginning, I would like to welcome all forum members. 
Following DayZ project from the outset. But ... I have the impression that DayZ Standalone does not develop until the end as it should, not saying it is wrong but it is not as it should be. And in my opinion developers build project DayZ Standalone not from the side from which they should. Survival should be CORE on it should be based the whole game, I'm talking about the bonfire where you can cook food, hunt animals in the forests, and the environment, which should be the primary threat to the player. At the moment we do not have even that, because even if there are animals in this game it does not have a hunting knife gut of the animal, and you can not make a fireplace to cook, bah! you cant even gather wood to make a bonfire or craft a bow with arrows and empty cans. On That mechanisms of this game should be built, not adding to the game new firearms like the Colt 1911 and new rifles. As the game goes towards PvP zombie shooter and a stand's not futher than games such as NETHER or RUST. Dev's should check Their compass before its not to late and think what Their are doing and i beg you, the game had to be about survival so down this track, you have a great engine, use it! Do not create another shooter with zombies. That was my personal opinion about the game. 

Now I want to share with you my thoughts about the game and the upcoming survival, using bows. Since survival is to be in this game I think that critical needs for this game must be:
1) Chop wood with axe = Why ? because it will be possible to do that and focus on the addition of wood or bark can be used to do a quiver for arrows like on this photos below...

barkcontainer_by_emigrantes-d79niwa.jpgtree_bark_quiver_by_emigrantes-d79niwx.jbark_quiver_by_emigrantes-d79niw9.jpg

[CREATE ACTION IN MENU ON GATHERED WOOD]
- HARVEST WOOD
- MAKE A FIREPLACE
- TAKE BARK FROM WOOD

EXAMPLE BELOW
menu_by_emigrantes-d79njpl.jpg

EXAMPLE OF CRAFTING
1) TREE BARK + ROPE = Quiver that can be upgrade later for something better like TREE BARK + ROPE + PELT FROM ANIMALS = better looking Quiver

I BET you figure it out something:-)

2) Chop wood with axe = Possibility to make a standard wooden bow.
EXAMPLE OF CRAFTING 
BRANCH + ROPE = WOODEN BOW

wooden_bow_by_emigrantes-d79nix2.jpgbow2_by_emigrantes-d79niwl.jpg

3) And last while i'm writing this you could create homemade hunting knife to skin animals or to take this "survival to another level" plane branches for a bow something like this...

[EXAMPLE OF CRAFTING]

Stick + STONE ( you already got stones in the Game) = Primitive Skinning Knife or something.

Novanife.JPG

I know its a long post and what i wrote could be difficult for some people to read but you get my point...and sorry for my bad english.

Regards to you all

I would suggest you checking the devblog - all these things are planned to be included in the near future.

• Like 1

Also DayZ Developers. Sorry if I come off sounding like an ass, but please don't make a Junk interface for crafting. If need be, why not require a player to get a notebook with a crafting section that could say "I think I can make a Hunting/Skinning Knife with these: Rock x1. Medium Stone x1."

With a button to the right saying "Craft"

• Like 1

I might recommend you also check out 7 Days to Die

Also DayZ Developers. Sorry if I come off sounding like an ass, but please don't make a Junk interface for crafting. If need be, why not require a player to get a notebook with a crafting section that could say "I think I can make a Hunting/Skinning Knife with these: Rock x1. Medium Stone x1."

The current drag and drop is just fine, part of the survival aspect is figuring out on your own what works with what

• Like 1

Read, just fucking read. If you had done some research and done some fucking reading you wouldn't have wasted your time and everyone else time making this thread.

Sigh! Just as I thought, you can not write anything because someone immediately begins to RAGE! As I said constantly follow DayZ project from the very beginning I have been following every Devblog and changelog and did not see anything there about Quiver (tree bark crafting). Someone said that all this is planned to be included in the near future. OH! Just as it was in the last patch of cooking? and hunting for meat to cook? Excuse me, but I ran the whole map and did not see anything there except another player to hunt. About that "Junk interface for crafting" That was just an example so you could see what i mean ... and yes, "The current drag and drop is just fine" i agree! As i said its an example. I Read, and just fucking read! read so much that I see that is not what I was promised when Rocket superlatives to describe the project DayZ who recently left the project. What? I can not? to share my ideas? to improve the project ? The smallest dogs barking most!

Peace!

Edited by Emigrantes
  • Like 1

Read, just fucking read. If you had done some research and done some fucking reading you wouldn't have wasted your time and everyone else time making this thread.

And why wont you get the fuck out of here?

Person just asked and shared his opinion, and I found this topic quite interesting.

Edited by So Sexy

No offense but it sounds too bushcraft folklore to me.
Enlarge bottleneck (water plastic bottle) with any cutting tool, + rope, and voilà : a poor man's quiver.

Edited by JiJi

At the beginning, I would like to welcome all forum members. 
Following DayZ project from the outset. But ... I have the impression that DayZ Standalone does not develop until the end as it should, not saying it is wrong but it is not as it should be. And in my opinion developers build project DayZ Standalone not from the side from which they should. Survival should be CORE on it should be based the whole game, I'm talking about the bonfire where you can cook food, hunt animals in the forests, and the environment, which should be the primary threat to the player. At the moment we do not have even that, because even if there are animals in this game it does not have a hunting knife gut of the animal, and you can not make a fireplace to cook, bah! you cant even gather wood to make a bonfire or craft a bow with arrows and empty cans. On That mechanisms of this game should be built, not adding to the game new firearms like the Colt 1911 and new rifles. As the game goes towards PvP zombie shooter and a stand's not futher than games such as NETHER or RUST. Dev's should check Their compass before its not to late and think what Their are doing and i beg you, the game had to be about survival so down this track, you have a great engine, use it! Do not create another shooter with zombies. That was my personal opinion about the game. 

This ISN'T RUST THOUGH SON.  This is DayZ. The central elements of DayZ are:

• -Zombie apocalypse, or PvE
  • -Banditry, or PvP
  • -Survival, or Player Versus Environment
  • -Deserted ex-Soviet environment, or aesthetics
  • -Realism/simulation

Or, summed up: What would it be like to try and survive in a deserted zombie infested world in ex-USSR territory with bandits?

"and the environment, which should be the primary threat to the player"- While it should definitely be a worry, the main threat to the player should always be zombies, then bandits, then the threat of starvation, then the environment.

PEOPLE HAVE TO STOP TRYING TO OVERLAY WHAT THEY WANT DAYZ TO BE. The harsh truth is at the end of the day it isn't a roleplay simulator/mad max demo derby re-enactor, and it sure isn't a purely survival-based game as OP wants it to be. It's a realistic zombie apocalyse survival game. You can't just cover up a whole aspect of the game, because then it isn't DayZ anymore, it's Hiking Tycoon 2014. [And if you have such a hard-on for innawoods, you can do it IRL, but you can't have a zombie invasion IRL, which is why we have games-- to do the things we can't do in real life].

I agree with the other guy. Why is a notebook a requisite? What, you can't rip a shirt into rags without writing it in your notebook, which you must have to complete the task? Not a good idea man. You'd regret it when you can't make a fire without consulting a magic notebook first. Leave it as is.

I don't want to be that douche who just says "ALPHA" to everything, but I'm going to have to go to it here, I mean it's just fine if they want to add a Hunting Rifle to the game, right??? Or a couple extra pistols to you know.. hehe Defend yourself from animals? I agree I can't wait until they add vehicles and tents and such, but come on dude, Beta won't come out for 9 months, don't expect much until then.

I don't see why you would even need to make a quiver from bark. It would be easy just to convert a Burlap sack into one, which is a very common drop in barns, so staying away from cities would still be an option. It may not look pretty, but its more durable, easier to make and i doupt many people know how to make Quivers from wood. Looks more trouble than it'd be worth. But by that time, you've already found a gun and 50rnds.

I like the knife, though. 

We do have to think about a point where the game stops being fun. Currently, i spend 50% of my in-game time running, 35% looting, 10% in combat and 5% eating/drinking/bandaging, ect. If food is extremly rare, then i will have to spend atleast 35% of time hunting, and if getting wet becomes a gigantic deal, another 15% hiding in a building from the scary rain. 

Don't get me wrong, i want more survival aspects, but it seemssome people  want the game to be: Hunt pigs, cook meat, find canteen, hide from rain, fill canteen, boil water - Wait, i'm hungry again. Hunt pig, cook meat, run 50 feet, hide from rain. Loot shed. Oh wait - i'm thristy again. Find water, boil water, run to small village. Find empty tin can. I'm hungry again.

How does that sound fun? To me, i might aswell play Packman. The core aspect of this game was never Survival. The general idea was, true, but ever since the mod came out the "Core" was never Survival in that way of thinking.  It's been about surviving people, zombies, and bugs. In my opinion, Zed survival should be the Core. Afterall, this IS a zombie survival, not Bear Grilles. 

The bow and arrow aren't out yet because they want to implement the physics engine first, for travelling patterns from the arrow.  They want the arrow to skip along the ground and stuff.  I think mostly, they were focused on just getting the game to work, having buildings and loot that spawns, etc.  I think they just added in a couple guns just so people could have a little fun while the game continues to be worked on.  What I am worried about is the fact they are working on adding more military grade weapons, which dean said he didn't want to do.

The bow and arrow aren't out yet because they want to implement the physics engine first, for travelling patterns from the arrow.  They want the arrow to skip along the ground and stuff.  I think mostly, they were focused on just getting the game to work, having buildings and loot that spawns, etc.  I think they just added in a couple guns just so people could have a little fun while the game continues to be worked on.  What I am worried about is the fact they are working on adding more military grade weapons, which dean said he didn't want to do.

Dude... there are two Military guns ingame. They're adding an AK, and many more civ weapons along the way.

Dude... there are two Military guns ingame. They're adding an AK, and many more civ weapons along the way.

They're adding an AKM, SVD, and files for a grenade launcher are in game.  I'm sure they'll be adding in more too.

EDIT: Just found out they're gonna add in the FN FAL at some point too, another military weapon...

Edited by srgnt.pepper

This ISN'T RUST THOUGH SON.  This is DayZ. The central elements of DayZ are:

• -Zombie apocalypse, or PvE
  • -Banditry, or PvP
  • -Survival, or Player Versus Environment
  • -Deserted ex-Soviet environment, or aesthetics
  • -Realism/simulation

Or, summed up: What would it be like to try and survive in a deserted zombie infested world in ex-USSR territory with bandits?

"and the environment, which should be the primary threat to the player"- While it should definitely be a worry, the main threat to the player should always be zombies, then bandits, then the threat of starvation, then the environment.

PEOPLE HAVE TO STOP TRYING TO OVERLAY WHAT THEY WANT DAYZ TO BE. The harsh truth is at the end of the day it isn't a roleplay simulator/mad max demo derby re-enactor, and it sure isn't a purely survival-based game as OP wants it to be. It's a realistic zombie apocalyse survival game. You can't just cover up a whole aspect of the game, because then it isn't DayZ anymore, it's Hiking Tycoon 2014. [And if you have such a hard-on for innawoods, you can do it IRL, but you can't have a zombie invasion IRL, which is why we have games-- to do the things we can't do in real life].

I agree with the other guy. Why is a notebook a requisite? What, you can't rip a shirt into rags without writing it in your notebook, which you must have to complete the task? Not a good idea man. You'd regret it when you can't make a fire without consulting a magic notebook first. Leave it as is.

Bandits will always be more of a threat than zombies.

Unless they make the zombies unnaturally overpowered, then someone with a rifle is still harder to deal with than a horde.

They're adding an ak, svd, and files for a grenade launcher are in game.  I'm sure they'll be adding in more too.

What's wrong with more military weapons? Guns are a lot easier to add than brand new weapon-types like bows/crossbows which need their own animations, ammunition and coding separate from guns which the engine isn't even built to support!
Edited by Chaingunfighter

Bandits will always be more of a threat than zombies.

Unless they make the zombies unnaturally overpowered, then someone with a rifle is still harder to deal with than a horde.

What's wrong with more military weapons? Guns are a lot easier to add than brand new weapon-types like bows/crossbows which need their own animations, ammunition and coding separate from guns which the engine isn't even built to support!

The only problem is that Dean is trying to make a zombie survival simulator, so the more military grade weapons are added, the more it just turns into an action shooter, with zombies.  Military weapons are designed to kill people with ease, if your running around with military weapons, you can just mow down zombies without difficulty, and the challenge then becomes PvP, which will mean that's what the focus of the game will be.  I mean, if that was Dean Halls plan then fine, but like i said he said he wanted to not have many military grade weapons in so the focus of the game shifts more towards the survival aspects.

Bandits may be always more of a threat than zombies in a way, but if they make killing the zombies more traditional, meaning only head shots will kill and they increase the amount of zombies are in an area, which i know they plan on doing, then zombies will at least be somewhat of a threat.

Edited by srgnt.pepper

Sigh! Just as I thought, you can not write anything because someone immediately begins to RAGE! As I said constantly follow DayZ project from the very beginning I have been following every Devblog and changelog and did not see anything there about Quiver (tree bark crafting). Someone said that all this is planned to be included in the near future. OH! Just as it was in the last patch of cooking? and hunting for meat to cook? Excuse me, but I ran the whole map and did not see anything there except another player to hunt. About that "Junk interface for crafting" That was just an example so you could see what i mean ... and yes, "The current drag and drop is just fine" i agree! As i said its an example. I Read, and just fucking read! read so much that I see that is not what I was promised when Rocket superlatives to describe the project DayZ who recently left the project. What? I can not? to share my ideas? to improve the project ? The smallest dogs barking most!

Peace!

Try to remember current updates have been coming out almost every week, not months, hence why they seem small with mostly only a few minor content additions with engine/server changes. They have to priorities getting the foundation (engine) to where it needs to be before the large component updates (wildlife AI) can be introduced, and by the time line they have been doing very well.

Compared to other games DayZ has made leaps and bounds, it can just be hard to notice some times because content has been delivered is small updates every week instead of large ones every month/few months

I wonder if bow is going to be 1 hit to player or 2 hit!

Do not get me wrong but as I read these posts it is you want just a DayZ mod without bugs: P In this game forever enemy number 1 will be another player. And i think thats wrong. It will be as "MORE WEAPONS = MORE PVP" why? Because people will get bored in this game as they will have the END GAME GEAR. Therefore, in my opinion: 

1) The enemy number 1 should be the environment 

2) ZOMBIE 

3) Player 

Take for example DayZ 2017 loot reduced to a minmum, between players appeared Trade willingness to each other. So in my opinion less loot, more weapons, more fun, long fun, less boring, and throughout the game you have a mission to "survive" and not "survive encounter with another player when gunz are blazeing"

I remember in the first Days of DayZ Standalone there was a BUG or something...when you travel a lot your character finally was unconscious that was a challenge! Not now when you EAT EAT EAT DRINK DRINK DRINK and SPRINT by whole map to the north! This makes no sense! you should have stops, rest a lot, get injuries from long walks. Thats the game should be like.

Now its just PvP like RUST, WarZ few zombies that are not a threat on a different game engene with a pinch of simulation. You have your M4, MOSIN, SKS in 10 minutes and travel north. (I KNOW YOU WILL SAID "MAN ITS ALPHA WAIT ANOTHER 9 MONTHS") But even if it will be BETA od COMPLETE GAME i dont think so it will be different and it will be demanding for a player. THERE IS AND THERE WILL BE LACK OF SURVIVAL as Dean promised us. I do not want to be rude and offend anyone but "i" "we" have been waiting a long time for this "project" and i dont want to play "another game" for CASUAL'S like Infestation Survivor Stories or 7 days to die or Nether. I have been waiting for a pure hardcore zombie and environment survival! that kick's ASS!

ITS HARD TO SAY BUT INDIE GAME - PROJECT ZOMBOID is more demanding than DayZ Standalone... :P

GIVE US THIS!

Edited by Emigrantes

Do not get me wrong but as I read these posts it is you want just a DayZ mod without bugs: P In this game forever enemy number 1 will be another player. And i think thats wrong. It will be as "MORE WEAPONS = MORE PVP" why? Because people will get bored in this game as they will have the END GAME GEAR. 

I don't think its more weapons, just more military grade weapons that makes the focus PvP oriented.

If they had more civ weapons and almost no military weapons, maybe buff the characteristics of different melee weapons and make zombies more of a priority through adding more of them and making them harder to kill, then the focus would be that, although there would still be plenty of pvp still, which is fine and awesome.  If they had weather play a huge factor too, then the combo of bad weather plus zombies could really fuck with people and force them to focus on surviving that situation.  Like a player just turns a corner in elektro and there's a horde of zombies that turn and chase him, then some stormy, hurricane style weather rolls in.  The player is forced to find shelter and possibly deal with a horde of zombies with only a fire axe and double barreled shotgun.  At that point it would be, fuck killing the other player for gear, because you'd need each other to fucking survive that shit-storm your both in.  Just the concept I'm trying to point out, not that exact situation.