Energetics (DayZ)

retrieve - assist - gather missions (please add your ideas)

Sir you don't have to tell me that.

I mean : development, core design, relevent objectives, financial accounting, human resources & roadmap, it's all up to BIS.

And they have alway said and keep saying : There will be no NPC, no quests/scripts.

That's all...

PS :

NPC zombie and animal, are AI. But zombie and animal, are not NPC.

Even if misused, this is the implicit joint definition 178095 (-1?) forum members would quite agree with it.

Mind = Blown. Love your attempts to redefine what a None Player Character is.

He said in 2012 that there will never be npc survivors meaning civilians, he also said we would never be able to build bases or barricade because it would just become sandbags and barbwire ^^ and Dean 'Rocket' Hall is no longer in charge Bohemia are, and he is leaving to create a new company in new zealand. Out of all the mods to arma 2/3 this games roadmap is leaning directly at Epoch no matter how much you dont like it. They have purchased a studio to advance the development of the game. We already know there is going tobe quests as they are introducing go fetch quests that are unscripted, Those are the go fetch the part = congrats you have a vehicle. We know we are getting guard/defense dogs and we are getting ridable mounts via horses and vehicles.

This game already is a scavanger hunt, this game is heading more deeply into objective based gameplay, its already turning into domination and hold gameplay with persistant bases which they said was never coming. Its introducing crafting systems and vehicles. They are wanting the servers to hold 100-200 people each and like it or not they are going to have todo something to balance the game from the people who have been playing for a year and have setup bases and large clans and death squads guarding and patroling the map in vehicles.

If new players cannot gain access to the interior of the map or into large towns to get gear, food and clothes then there needs tobe a system to let them have a chance to survive and not be torture food for the epeens on the server.

Edited by Shingara

He said in 2012 that there will never be npc survivors meaning civilians, he also said we would never be able to build bases or barricade because it would just become sandbags and barbwire ^^ and Dean 'Rocket' Hall is no longer in charge Bohemia are, and he is leaving to create a new company in new zealand. Out of all the mods to arma 2/3 this games roadmap is leaning directly at Epoch no matter how much you dont like it. They have purchased a studio to advance the development of the game. We already know there is going tobe quests as they are introducing go fetch quests that are unscripted, Those are the go fetch the part = congrats you have a vehicle. We know we are getting guard/defense dogs and we are getting ridable mounts via horses and vehicles.

This game already is a scavanger hunt, this game is heading more deeply into objective based gameplay, its already turning into domination and hold gameplay with persistant bases which they said was never coming. Its introducing crafting systems and vehicles. They are wanting the servers to hold 100-200 people each and like it or not they are going to have todo something to balance the game from the people who have been playing for a year and have setup bases and large clans and death squads guarding and patroling the map in vehicles.

Actually NPC comes from traditional tabletop role playing games long before the computer generated era. Refers to a support cast character played typically by the GM and has more complex interactions then monsters, animals, etc. Not all of us here are teenagers born into the world of 3d gaming.

He has it right, all NPC's are AI but not all AI are NPC's. I think NPC's along the lines of the Dog followers and ridable horses would be great, I'm not fond of NPC's that will be roaming around and shooting at me though(strictly because AI is not smart enough to act like a person or has ridiculous issues with spinning on a dime and shooting you in the head from 1000m with a handgun).

Edited by akafugitive

Actually NPC comes from traditional tabletop role playing games long before the computer generated era. Refers to a support cast character played typically by the GM and has more complex interactions then monsters, animals, etc. Not all of us here are teenagers born into the world of 3d gaming.

He has it right, all NPC's are AI but not all AI are NPC's. We nor Dean from what he has said want NPC's in the game.

Actualy in tabletop games NPC refered to characters controled by the gamesmaster whilst in online games refers to any none player controlled character or entity. And the 'We' does not refer to all or this topic would not exists and neither would it appear in Q&A's. And what Dean wants is not going tobe relevent for very long.

For the edited part, i dont think anyone has suggested for enemy npcs within this topic but on the point of enemy npcs i think people do not want them specifically because people feel they would be aimbots and not true AI controlled enemys as seen in other fps games like battlefield and dues ex etc.

And this isnt a vision for what happens now, this is a vision for what will happen in 1 year from launch, 2 years from launch. How will new interact with old players. How does dayz stand against arma 3 mod, arma 4 mod. What is the tipping point where this game is no longer relevent to new players because they cannot get into it.

Give you an example, new player spawns on server that has heavy base development and vehicle control. Has the ability to barracade a house near the spawn area and once barracaded an npc spawns inside, offers a pistol, compass and some bullets if he or she provides some meats and furs and the house itself contains a weapon capable of hunting with and small backpack. This gives the new player the ability to survive long enough to find the rest of there gear like a backpack, food etc and not simply walking into a town, handcuffed, blood drained and forced to drink bleach and abused whilst handcuffed and then shot in the head.

Edited by Shingara

I don't want to see this in vanilla but If NPC's were done, I would strictly like to see them as people that can be rescued and brought back to an established base. Would require beds and would deplete supplies, but can be grated roles such as guard duty, trader, etc. NPC's in your groups outpost not assigned a role could be used as re spawn resources for you and your group(instead of spawning at the coast).

Guards would only attack players who fail to follow warnings to holster weapons or attack them first

Traders would have supplies set to them by the players, trade value will also be assigned by the player

Edited by akafugitive

I think in concern to bases its going tobe odd how it will work because no matter who you are, you have to sleep and work at some point and your base will not be defended. If you can respawn every 30 seconds inside your base via an npc and your base is being attacked then it would give an unfair advantage to the defenders as people attacking would have to spawn miles away at the costal area as the most wanted real estate are going tobe the militery bases and the castle which are very deep into the map. How they would or could guard is also going tobe frownd upon by alot but not impossible. If they dont introduce bandit npcs then I personaly think they will not work on the AI for the npcs specifically just for guards to bases and small holdings.

If they simply only kill other creatures like zombies and wildlife it might work but then again it would also revolve around how our own companion npcs interact with us and the world. We are going to have some kind of commoditys within the game though as vehicles will probably need fuel aswell as parts, and if they do then the most profitable real estate will become the petrol station on the coast unless we have an alternative way to attain it.

Edited by Shingara

I think in concern to bases its going tobe odd how it will work because no matter who you are, you have to sleep and work at some point and your base will not be defended. If you can respawn every 30 seconds inside your base via an npc and your base is being attacked then it would give an unfair advantage to the defenders as people attacking would have to spawn miles away at the costal area as the most wanted real estate are going tobe the militery bases and the castle which are very deep into the map. How they would or could guard is also going tobe frownd upon by alot but not impossible. If they dont introduce bandit npcs then I personaly think they will not work on the AI for the npcs specifically just for guards to bases and small holdings.

If they simply only kill other creatures like zombies and wildlife it might work but then again it would also revolve around how our own companion npcs interact with us and the world. We are going to have some kind of commoditys within the game though as vehicles will probably need fuel aswell as parts, and if they do then the most profitable real estate will become the petrol station on the coast unless we have an alternative way to attain it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of they would be killable, they don't respawn. You would have to rescue people to have people, once you re-spawn as one of them if they die and you have on one left you spawn as, and are sent to the coast. Overrunning a base would not supply the defenders with an endless supply of re-spawns at their location.

I am more of a fan of developing the zombies and animals(passive, companion and dangerous). I would not oppose said economy supportive NPC's being introduced later on down the road though.

So a clone effect via blanks you mean. hmm interesting. Im personaly interested in it being a true post appocolypse game. The forming of new factions in a hostile world, the recycling of old technology and the retaiming of the lands and a semi civilised world evolving from the dust like mad max. I see it as a survival game like everyone else, i just see it as me survivng with others and not me hiding under a tree hoping zombies dont get me and eating berries till i die of old age.

The more that the world can immerse me into that feeling the better, and the more sandbox and persistant the sandbox is the better. I just feel what was held back 2 years ago due to tech limitations is no longer held back by the new tech.

And just remember, stand alone was created to stop bandating, its now the core of the game and has failed its initial core ideal. And the Mods for arma 3 are really outshining dayz stand alone for stability, ingame features and community. If dayz stand alone cannot contend against the mods then what is the point of stand alone when arma 3 can give you so much more with a stable game.

Edited by Shingara

He said in 2012 that there will never be npc survivors meaning civilians, he also said we would never be able to build bases or barricade because it would just become sandbags and barbwire ^^ and Dean 'Rocket' Hall is no longer in charge Bohemia are, and he is leaving to create a new company in new zealand. Out of all the mods to arma 2/3 this games roadmap is leaning directly at Epoch no matter how much you dont like it. [...]

...I'm tired with pointless quibble. <_<

You have great speculations about everythings, and great suggestions aswell : good! because I leave you alone with them.

No beans around? -draw conclusions. Bye.

A little bit too much with npc's and stuff. Maybe put tac boards around the map so players can make their own missions and put them up on the board. It's hard now because there's paper all over the place. It's easy to look past. If it's on the board you know a player put it there and you know it says something.

There should be more interactivity for players planted into the surroundings of Cerno that could bring certain highly rare (or otherwise unobtainable) items.

This would certainly help prevent piling of players in different areas and make "wandering about" a more taskful/meaningful time.

Please understand:

I am not PRO Wii style blabla-charakters to hand out missions.

I would love to see mechanics induced by the people that are long gone. Unfinished tasks (the carengine is still in the next town - the bill on the drawer still states that) that could spawn from what the player has in his pocket (amnesia?) or what he sees or gets told by things:

Inducing new mechanics:

• via letters from npc's/players/unkown characters
  • have a npc/letterbox with instructions (first floors, on the cranes, have them shouting from rooftops onto which they rescued themselves)
  • get some of the drawers functional and hide a note
  • Have a hidden Safe in the house
  • polaroids on walls, in drawers or upon spawning
  • find the right spot (get polaroids to the players)
  • graffiti
  • paintings in houses
  • writing on back of moveable furniture/boxes/doors
  • police and ambulance files (drawers)
  • unlockable shelters (as part of a multi stage riddle)
  • have dots on the paper: linking them with the pen gives a picture/clue/direction
  • have us spawn with (fragments of) notes and make them viable by cooperation.

Possible missions:

• We have paper so there could be the intel written on them: "I got seperated from my parents in GORKA. They are hiding there! Can You find them?"
  • On Altis Life the npc is an ATM..let him be the startpoint in DayZ. Gather together machine-parts from different cars and he fixes you - The CHAINSAW!
  • Carry a wounded player/npc back to his relatives in the next town (receive award) - AS WE SEEM UNABLE TO ORGANISE US OURSELVES!
  • Gather pieces of a treasure map (from safes, drawers,..)
  • amnesia: have the player start with a polaroid and a key: "find that barn - find your gun/car/item"
  • People would use graffiti in towns on walls/on doors to communicate

- have a graffiti be the starting point for a zombie headcount (kill 50 zombies in Gorka)

- have a graffiti depict a hiding place of an item/npc mission (crane southwest)

- have it contain the combination of a padlock (so we use paper and pen to take notes!)

- - - 5 - in Cerno, - 2 - - 1 in Gorka, 2 - 4 - - - in airfield, - - - - - 7 on the ship

(graffiti, note in drawer, corner of a picture, back of furniture,..) -> open the shelter/box/barn/door -> loot

• have a painting/polaroid depict a (e.g. high seat's) view of an area (the X on the painting depicts the hiding spot of an item)
  • find a specific zombie (from his police-file in the station) he's an ex convict with a lootable magnum
  • gather blood types and finish an experiment in the hospital lab (find out your blood type)
  • Use spraycans to paint helicopter landing sites onto rooftops in Cerno -> reward
  • Carrier pigeon missions (from letterbox in A to npc/letterbox in B

I left in the acceptable bits. Adding in atmosphere with little pre-zed notes would be cool. Little random "events" (term is used loosely) like the chopper crash with pointers elsewhere on the map. Letter that goes "Hey Mom, how's the new truck?" with the delivery address to somewhere in Zelenogorsk, etc. that you find either undelivered or in a mail van.