Sign in to follow this  
TwilightVelvet

Dayz black screen

i changed my resoultion on dayz  and i didnt know that it would fuck my game up when i done it i got a black screen no cursor only sound 

oh I've had this happen before. Have no idea what causes it, I just assumed it was my gfx driver failing due to the settings in the game being too high or the gpu getting a bit too hot.

Ok, you can change the resolution manually in your configs located in C:\Users\*UserName*\Documents\DayZ

Simply open the file called DayZ.cfg and find theese lines:

Resolution_W=1920;Resolution_H=1080;

Just change them to whatever resolution you want mate and viola :)

EDIT:
Forgot to mention you can open it with notepad, but if you often edit files like this i can highly recommend downloading Notepad++ :)

Edited by Byrgesen

Windows XP ?

If so this may be the cause of your problem (not supported).

Using the XP start up parameter in DayZ launch options may also cause this.

Mine has done this a few times sporadically.  On mine though the monitor actually flashes and loses signal like the game modified the Monitor Refresh rate to an "out of range" state, ie 120hz, etc...  I can actually alt-tab to windows and monitor comes back on, but when going back to the game it is solid black with sound.  I am fairly certain it is a bug.  I just end the game process and restart and usually all is well.

Ok, you can change the resolution manually in your configs located in C:\Users\*UserName*\Documents\DayZ

Simply open the file called DayZ.cfg and find theese lines:

Resolution_W=1920;Resolution_H=1080;

Just change them to whatever resolution you want mate and viola :)

EDIT:

Forgot to mention you can open it with notepad, but if you often edit files like this i can highly recommend downloading Notepad++ :)

This would be your best bet to fixing this problem, but if this does not work just simply try re-installing the game.  If the problem continues you probably have to wait for a patch, or if you are using Windows XP, or another unsuported software, you may have to upgrade to windows 7.  (I recommend 7, for it runs smoother and has less bugs then Windows 8.)

I've have this happen to me after playing from 1-4+ hours. After it happened I have to restart my PC or it will happen within minutes of joining a server. 

At first I thought it was my graphics card, because when I force close DayZ I get a message from windows saying that my graphics driver crashed and has been restored. But with this happening to multiple people and also my friend who has a nVidia card and I have a Radeon, I really do believe that this is an issue with the game and not people graphics cards.

Edit: Neither my friend or I run Windows XP or use -winxp.

Edited by ChekovP