Sign in to follow this  
Grimey Rick

Should I start DayZ Mod this late in the game?

I've got 520 hours logged in the standalone at this point, but I'm getting pretty bored with the current lack of content. I've never tried the mod. I don't have any friends that have the mod. I'd be playing 100% solo for the time being. I'm slightly torn as I already own Arma 3 and haven't really played it very much due to being so loyal to the standalone for the last few months, and feel like I should invest some time into it, but, eh...

What would y'all recommend?

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

Nah, from my experience (since july 2012) in the mod, and my time spent in DayZero... The mod was fine early on but now it has very little legitimate players left. The mod is rife with ESP map hackers because there is no way of defeating that hack. So they will always know where you are, where all the vehicles are, and where all the zombies are. So you'll find them helicoptering around scooping all the vehicles and crash sites. Which of course leads to them hunting everyone else down... Its not very fun.

I still play Namalsk and the original mod quite often. Haven't had any issue with hackers for quite a while and still enjoy the mod. To each his own.

• Like 1

I've got 520 hours logged in the standalone at this point, but I'm getting pretty bored with the current lack of content. I've never tried the mod. I don't have any friends that have the mod. I'd be playing 100% solo for the time being. I'm slightly torn as I already own Arma 3 and haven't really played it very much due to being so loyal to the standalone for the last few months, and feel like I should invest some time into it, but, eh...

What would y'all recommend?

I got a bit bored in the SA for a bit, so a friend convinced me to give the mod a try. I already had ArmA Everything ;-) so it wasn't much of a hassle to fire it up. Currently sitting on just a bit over 100 hours in Epoch in the last two weeks.

So, that's a big fat YES! Even better if you have some friends along for the ride. After all, the SA is still going to be there when you come back.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

Check out ARMA 3 Breaking Point mod.  It's a nice variation of the DayZ mod.  Slower moving zombies but there are literally hundreds of them in each town.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the insight, guys. I'll think on it some more.

I would definitely recommend it. I got the SA first, and got a bit bored of the lack of content. Got the mod, and I'm definitely enjoying it. 

Not only is there more content, but to me the controls feel better. 

• Like 1

From my experience with the mod when I first began around June or July 2012, it was a lot of fun and it differentiates a lot of games I've played previously. DayZ Mod has to be one of my most played mods. It has a lot to offer and I've been waiting for the next update which seems very, very promising. Gaining the experience from playing the mod will give you a whole different play-field when you play the retail version.

I'd recommend doing a lot of research before purchasing the mod, I know people who aren't completely satisfied with it's current status. The mod won't be as expansive as standalone since they are completely different and it has a lot of limitations, I mean; A LOT. The whole design and architecture of the game is purposely made for a military simulator, not a zombie survival game like DayZ (Retail) is.

DayZ Mod also has its problems, bare in mind of issues that Arma 2 has such as slow transitions of animations, frame rate drops after prolonged periods of server activity, zombies no-clipping through walls and walking in houses, rocks breaking legs.

Here's something to read on if you're curious about on-going development: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/149483-rolling-changelog-181/

(The delay on it's recent progress is something I've no knowledge about.)

Thanks again for all of the input everyone. I went ahead and bought the ARMA II: Complete Collection and am now installing what I need to get DayZ Mod going. Being a long time fan of Frankie, I've been watching his YouTube videos playing Epoch lately, and I must say that it looks like a lot of fun.

Looking forward to surviving with you!

Thanks again for all of the input everyone. I went ahead and bought the ARMA II: Complete Collection and am now installing what I need to get DayZ Mod going. Being a long time fan of Frankie, I've been watching his YouTube videos playing Epoch lately, and I must say that it looks like a lot of fun.

Looking forward to surviving with you!

If I could make a suggestion. I play on the Musty gaming US Epoch server. It uses the same general map as the standalone. Lots of nice people and a great place to learn the game mechanics. There are also AI missions if you feel the need to commit suicide. Just don't get careless as there are some people that will shoot on sight.

See you in game.

Eagle

Nah, from my experience (since july 2012) in the mod, and my time spent in DayZero... The mod was fine early on but now it has very little legitimate players left. The mod is rife with ESP map hackers because there is no way of defeating that hack. So they will always know where you are, where all the vehicles are, and where all the zombies are. So you'll find them helicoptering around scooping all the vehicles and crash sites. Which of course leads to them hunting everyone else down... Its not very fun.

That isnt true at all. There are fewer hackers than ever on the game. Probably 1 out of every 2000 players are hackers. Standalone is nothing compared to mod. Sure it works, but the mod has so much content and is so fun, you can play it for days. I have 355 hours on it and still have fun.

From my experience with the mod when I first began around June or July 2012, it was a lot of fun and it differentiates a lot of games I've played previously. DayZ Mod has to be one of my most played mods. It has a lot to offer and I've been waiting for the next update which seems very, very promising. Gaining the experience from playing the mod will give you a whole different play-field when you play the retail version.

I'd recommend doing a lot of research before purchasing the mod, I know people who aren't completely satisfied with it's current status. The mod won't be as expansive as standalone since they are completely different and it has a lot of limitations, I mean; A LOT. The whole design and architecture of the game is purposely made for a military simulator, not a zombie survival game like DayZ (Retail) is.

DayZ Mod also has its problems, bare in mind of issues that Arma 2 has such as slow transitions of animations, frame rate drops after prolonged periods of server activity, zombies no-clipping through walls and walking in houses, rocks breaking legs.

Here's something to read on if you're curious about on-going development: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/149483-rolling-changelog-181/

(The delay on it's recent progress is something I've no knowledge about.)

Like the OP I got the SA first, got somewhat bored (not complaining, just a fact) so I looked into the mod.  Your thread is kind of ironic really, the SA has it's share of hackers also, the difference is instead of hackers flying to loot sights they umm.. well they don't do much because there isn't much to loot. So your options sound like fight hackers for loot or deal with them trying to KoS you either way hackers suck. Instead of zombies no-clipping through walls in the mod they just ignore walls in the SA.  Rocks breaking legs? SA has that feature too, it's an alpha game so it has lots of bugs like that actually. 

My point isn't to bash the SA game, I really do like it and keep playing it actually, it's only to point out that every issue you pointed out as "bad" in the mod the SA has also.  Only difference is the mod has more things to do currently.  Doesn't mean it's "better" just means it really is a viable option to people that haven't ever tried it out.

I actually went back to the Mod as well after playing SA. I have seen a couple of hackers in my 3 months of gameplay on it. I love both and switch back and forth. Mod is still very active and I have a blast. Just depends on the type of person you are. I can find humor staring at a milk carton, so I am easily entertained. Have fun!

I just started playing yesterday and it's worth it. There is the occasional hacker but it's whatever. I prefer to chat with people on side chat and mess around while I hunt around with a glock or M9SP when I spawn in, take their gear and head inland to find a town to dominate. It's all fun. 

I bought SA and played a little bit of it, but got kinda bored after a little while. I've been really into the youtube videos though, but with the mod, there is a lot more guns, and all that stuff. I would definitely give the mod a try if you're just bored of SA's content, because in the mod there is a lot more. Although like mentioned above there are more hackers than in SA.

My overall would be a yes. :)  :thumbsup: