xacloman

Suggestion from a server hopper

Its only because I love this game so much that I will make suggestions. I understand this is alpha.

EDIT: I only server hop for loot, I don't combat log or ghost. I didn't think about either of those things. So this is probably a bad idea.

Remove the 5 minute timer. Or fix it.

It does basically nothing to stop server hopping. It does however piss me off when I get booted or choose a bad server(when not server hopping).

The 5 minute wait would only be effective if it stopped me from knowing which servers were searched.

Example: I search military base by NWAF. Log off. Log on new server. 5 minute timer. Now the problem should be, that when I finally get in, there is already a good chance it is searched, so I will have to just immediately leave and pick a diff server, then wait again.

What actually happens: Search military base. Log off. Log on new server. 5 minute timer. BUT instead of just waiting, hit ESC, and BAM, you can see if the doors are open in the server u just entered, even though your guy isn't there yet. if its searched, hit exit and choose another server, the timer wont be reset.

Here is my suggestion on how to fix this server hopping "problem."

Have there be ZERO loot on server restart, then every 30mins(or so) have a random town spawn loot. This way, you never know which town has good loot, but you know ONE of them does.

Some other suggestions:

Less M4s, mosins, and sks(powerful guns). More shotguns and pistols(weaker guns).

Make bicycles EXTREMELY hard to build. Same with cars when they get added. I like the vastness of the game, and I think cars/bicycles could ruin that a bit.

Make hunger/thirst matter more past the first hour. Maybe not as hungry when you spawn, but hunger develops faster.

And before people start hating because im a server hopper. lol.

Loot is fun. You want me to run across the map, then loot something once, when I could 4 times? lol

I actually run into a lot of people and get into some serious firefights while server hopping. lol

I have yet to see one good reason to NOT server hop. lol

Edited by xacloman
  • Like 1

so you are confessing to being part of the problem and bitchin because the timer inconveniences you... interesting. 

• Like 2

I suggest a 30 minute timer to join a new server with your avatar standing stationary with a bat signal. That way you can still server hop and I can enjoy my single server non-hopping experience.

This is stupid because:

1 - The 5 minutes timer reduces server hopping. They could even increase it to 10 minutes.

2 - All clever players close the doors.

3 - If you see the doors when you log in, it means that you are unlogging right in front of hot hopping spots, and you might get killed if someone comes by.

Edited by Karakoz
  • Like 1

I don't think the main idea was to prevent you from hopping for loot. I think it was more about combat logging.

It does however piss me off

It seems to work...let's see who has more patience.

• Like 2

I don't think the main idea was to prevent you from hopping for loot. I think it was more about combat logging.

Yes this and ghosting which it seems very effective against, unless it's a long fire fight with multiple people involved.

I don't think the login timer was ever meant end server hopping, its just a deterrent whilst loot does not respawn.

Personally I think it should stay the way it is and loot should only spawn on a server restart. And then bring in longer timers for hopping and a more refined implementation of the system that detects how and when a player exits the server.

Edited by MartinD

I really hate the timer right now. I'm not a Serverhopper, but it happened to me a lot that I join a server and within 5 minutes the server restarts or some random connection loss. Sometimes you also have to restart the game because of buggy graphics. Then you have to wait 280 seconds or so until you're back, that sucks.

Timer is great, but not now, where the game is more Bug than game. Implement it later.

so you are confessing to being part of the problem and bitchin because the timer inconveniences you... interesting. 

Did you read the part where I explained why the timer doesn't effect me while server hopping? or the suggestion? no?

and haha, the first response is someone saying im bitchin. Im surprised you didn't use the word whining. are you trying to troll?

This is a suggestion.

I suggest a 30 minute timer to join a new server with your avatar standing stationary with a bat signal. That way you can still server hop and I can enjoy my single server non-hopping experience.

Honestly, something like this would work. Just need to find a way to differentiate between server hoppers and someone who just got DC.

oandbtw, someone mad I stole their loot?

Remove the 5 minute timer. Or fix it.

looks like bitchin to me... just sayin

People should be allowed to play on only 2 servers that they would choose, and be allowed to change every few days.

Never thought about ghosting. DUR

Looks like we might be stuck with this. Well then please just change it so that when a player gets DCed they don't still get a timer.

It seems to work...let's see who has more patience.

Nice job quoting half a sentence.

...someone mad I stole their loot?

and this is what trollin looks like...

looks like bitchin to me... just sayin

Im sure a lot of things look like "bitchin" to you.

But remember, this is the DAYZ SUGGESTION FORUMS.

Ya know, the place where people come to make suggestions.

Sorry I didn't word it perfectly for you.

and this is what trollin looks like...

True.

Edited by xacloman

OP you are aware that suggestions and complaints are not the same thing right? and surely you are aware that there are hundreds of these "fix the timer" threads already right? I can only assume that you want a little flack for your bad behavior - not enough attention at home?

This is stupid because:

1 - The 5 minutes timer reduces server hopping. They could even increase it to 10 minutes.

2 - All clever players close the doors.

3 - If you see the doors when you log in, it means that you are unlogging right in front of hot hopping spots, and you might get killed if someone comes by.

Good points.

It does make server hopping slower, but I don't think it reduces it.

I still see lots of players that only close the front doors. Nubs.

There are lots of spots in bushes, where u can just barely see through the windows to the inside doors in the barracks.

Looks like we might be stuck with this. Well then please just change it so that when a player gets DCed they don't still get a timer.

Then people would just disconnect their internet till they crash to avoid the timer.

Timer should be extended imo.  As it currently stands, it's better than nothing.  However fire-fights between groups with decent cover on both sides can easily go on for well over 5 minutes without either party moving, providing plenty of time for people to ghost.  I know this thread isn't directly about ghosting, but how loot spawns will be changed in the future, so addressing the timer in regards to server-hopping for loot is kinda pointless.

If they could make it so you get a 10 minute timer only if you join a different server than the one you were in/DC'd from, that'd probably help make everybody happy('cept the asshats who have to ghost to win engagements).

I have yet to see one good reason to NOT server hop. lol

At the moment with no hunting/more survival in the game there isn't aside from the fact ur a douche and will be frowned upon by the entire community. I mean you do realize all that sick loot ur taking from a server u hop on is stopping people who don't hop getting it, doesn't seem fair does it? Then again the human race is a mass of cunts so there's no surprise this shit goes on.

If your still hopping when more features get implemented however, may i suggest to you move to arma 3, there is a mission on there called wasteland this would probably be more up your alley :)

Edited by lumo1234
  • Like 2

It does basically nothing to stop server hopping. It does however piss me off

Nice job quoting half a sentence.

I'm sorry but this is basically what i understand no matter what stands behind "off"...

They can refine it a bit but let's say it this way...a player who ghosts will be slowed down if he plays with his friends and intends to cheat others by ghosting if the fight lasts long enough and it will prevent combat loggers from logging back on the server quickly to either help their friends who got into a fight with the guy they hopped from or fall into the guys back whom they DCed from. In a way the system works on the intended people. What happened to you is of course not nice but i don't really see many people whining about bad pc performance or graphic glithces or internet DCs it's more people like you who like to farm. And you can already see quite well if a server has a good ping before you connect and of course it's a known fact that a lot of players on a server will cut down on performace on both ends. Whoever connects to either one of those servers deserves to wait.

OP you are aware that suggestions and complaints are not the same thing right? and surely you are aware that there are hundreds of these "fix the timer" threads already right? I can only assume that you want a little flack for your bad behavior - not enough attention at home?

Should I have switched my wording around, to put the suggestion first, and the reason why to change it last? would that make it more of a suggestion? is saying "remove something" not a suggestion?

bad behavior? lol

Then people would just disconnect their internet till they crash to avoid the timer.

Timer should be extended imo.  As it currently stands, it's better than nothing.  However fire-fights between groups with decent cover on both sides can easily go on for well over 5 minutes without either party moving, providing plenty of time for people to ghost.  I know this thread isn't directly about ghosting, but how loot spawns will be changed in the future, so addressing the timer in regards to server-hopping for loot is kinda pointless.

If they could make it so you get a 10 minute timer only if you join a different server than the one you were in/DC'd from, that'd probably help make everybody happy('cept the asshats who have to ghost to win engagements).

Again I didn't think about just pulling your own plug to avoid timer.

I like this  different server idea, but I don't ghost and haven't really been affected by it too many times.

Why is everyone getting so mad it's fucking friday!! There's allegedly a large patch hitting experimental and I believe the current experimental is going stable, Hello respawning infected which is btw awesome and scary, carry plenty of bandages!! Gun spawn rates are balanced a bit better imo, and they did a bit of a nerf on the mosin so no more one hit kill's.  Snipers are you actually skilled or just a point and click person?

I'll be on and off over the weekend likely hungover at some point have fun!!

At the moment with no hunting/more survival in the game there isn't aside from the fact ur a douche and will be frowned upon by the entire community. I mean you do realize all that sick loot ur taking from a server u hop on is stopping people who don't hop getting it, doesn't seem fair does it? Then again the human race is a mass of cunts so there's no surprise this shit goes on.

If your still hopping when more features get implemented however, may i suggest to you move to arma 3, there is a mission on there called wasteland this would probably be more up your alley :)

You do realize that sick loot you got the other day, could have been someone else's?

Someone doesn't want to server hop, so I shouldn't? You do realize I couldn't care less if YOU dont want to server hop?

You think im a douche? the whole dayz community does? congratzzszs

Here is another solution mainly because i think yours is terrible:

Loot respawn and when you log into a server you are locked to that server for a complete cycle of day/night and server hopping stops. People also server hop when playing hero/bandit role as well as just gearing up. Being locked to a server for a cycle alone would stop hopping but without loot respawn would still be a game of getting on a fresh server first, gearing out and waiting in the hot spots for others to come for gear. The implementation of police stations and med centers in multiple places (at least 14 more from what I have read in forums) will also help out. Mostly some patience on the part of the players to allow the dev team to address the issue IN THIS  ALPHA game is needed.

Here is another solution mainly because i think yours is terrible:

Loot respawn and when you log into a server you are locked to that server for a complete cycle of day/night and server hopping stops. People also server hop when playing hero/bandit role as well as just gearing up. Being locked to a server for a cycle alone would stop hopping but without loot respawn would still be a game of getting on a fresh server first, gearing out and waiting in the hot spots for others to come for gear. The implementation of police stations and med centers in multiple places (at least 14 more from what I have read in forums) will also help out. Mostly some patience on the part of the players to allow the dev team to address the issue IN THIS  ALPHA game is needed.

The only problem with this is some people like to play with friends.

Maybe this could work, with the only way to switch servers is to somehow "join a friend" through steam.