Pokerguy12

Players are more attached to loot then keeping character alive

Just for shits and giggles, set a 24hr (yes hours) respawn timer after death on a set of sub-exp. servers and watch the death count.  Folks might be a little bit more apprehensive running and gunning. Again, imho.

Wait, wouldn't this mean that they'd want to keep their characters alive because they are attached to their epicz?  Otherwise they'd be on the forums raging about how they lost their precious epicz to hackerz..... oh wait... :rolleyes:

Loot on a body is like rings on a tree..  

Its nice when you bag a whale of a target. Someone who has all the gear, all pristine. Lets you know you just killed someone worthy of death. 

Agree. Character value needs to exceed loot value. This would also give players the ability to rob players hold players hostage without having to kill them because they YOLO'd after they lost their loot.

the time you spent on a character should be enough for people to value there characters; i mean you only get a certain amount of time before we pop off IRL.

but yeah something needs to be put in place, maybe a 8 hour waiting period before being allowed to make a new character after death would be good; it might encourage some people to see the outdoors for once.

Edited by IG Rage

Agree. Character value needs to exceed loot value. This would also give players the ability to rob players hold players hostage without having to kill them because they YOLO'd after they lost their loot.

The easiest way to instill character value is through stats. Ive seen time and time again. If people can check their stats, they hate to die. Especially if others can see their stats.. 

Yes, I really think such a simple thing as tracking the time survived will greatly change the way people see their characters, so I am all for that idea!

I also think a harsher environment would do more things to make pople want to stay alive. If going from being a washed up freshspawn to healthy and well-supplied survivor, people will think more before they kill of themselves.

Numerous times people ask me to kill them so they can spawn closer to a big city. That's pathetic. 

Also, I hate when people take this as a PVP game. "Hurr durr, I gotta gun, now I'm so victorious against unarmed players". Why not help them? Surviving is the point. I understand killing to get weaponry and supplies if you see a guy with everything and his back facing towards you, but it's very stupid to think this as a race where you must get rid of others.

Of course, sometimes when I'm in a house with a lot of stuff and see a guy in front of me, I panic and kill him, but I don't kill a guy outside if he's acting passively in my presence. That's just being an asshole. Why not just play Battlefield if you take every player as an enemy. 

Edited by Mukaparska

A simple thing like randomizing player spawn points would do wonders to change the pacing of the game.

Setting it on the coast is the biggest flaws of this game. because that makes the game completely linear and predictable. Everybody runs to the towns to loot and most never venture inland at all.

They only will once vehicles become availible.

They also need to give characters meaning. Let us learn skills from all those books. Let us have Power Stations we can bring back on line. Green Mountain radio stations we can control. Let us search around bases and medical facilities for story lore. Give us custom features for  chars so we get attached to the way our char looks and junk.

DayZ needs to grow from being a mod into a game. It still feels like a mod.

WHERE IS THE ART DIRECTION? The no.1 that makes great games is art direction. What is the story you're trying to tell? Why is the character in this world? What must the character do to overcome thier struggles. Make the player feel like they have an impact and its not just counterstrike on a really big map

A simple thing like randomizing player spawn points would do wonders to change the pacing of the game.

Setting it on the coast is the biggest flaws of this game. because that makes the game completely linear and predictable. Everybody runs to the towns to loot and most never venture inland at all.

They only will once vehicles become availible.

They also need to give characters meaning. Let us learn skills from all those books. Let us have Power Stations we can bring back on line. Green Mountain radio stations we can control. Let us search around bases and medical facilities for story lore. Give us custom features for  chars so we get attached to the way our char looks and junk.

DayZ needs to grow from being a mod into a game. It still feels like a mod.

WHERE IS THE ART DIRECTION? The no.1 that makes great games is art direction. What is the story you're trying to tell? Why is the character in this world? What must the character do to overcome thier struggles. Make the player feel like they have an impact and its not just counterstrike on a really big map

I don't think those story things and bases are necessary. This game is about survival, not Minecraft, where in certain point zombies etc. are not a danger anymore. 

I wonder why people don't really venture inland. I like those little villages, and I usually find a lot of stuff in there. Usually after coming back from countryside, I have a gun, ammo (wrong caliber :D), food, clothes, and a lot of other supplies.

IF we had intervention in the world, like recovering the Dam to power output ( and therefore make the fridges work ), or establishing a wordwide Radio trasmission from Green Mountain facility ( that would be audible in all radio sets in the houses )... IF we had a... purpose, now, wouldn't many many DayZ hours develop in a different fashion.

I hope they will never implement things even a bit similar to this (It is a good principle but not for this game). If DayZ becomes a coop survival zombie game where you can win against the AI it would break everything what made DayZ so special.

• Like 2

If anyone thinks the game is boring, maybe you need to consider the fact that you don't have any imagination.  The concept of a Sandbox game is for the players to make it into whatever they want.  If your taste in games is so COD-ish that you need the game to tell you where to go and what to do, and you need the devs to make the story FOR you, then Sandbox style games are probably not something that interest you.  Instead of trying to convince people to make the game cater to you, you should find a game that fits your play style and spend time on it instead.

Thats a strange thing to say. Games need features and what people are saying is the game lacks enough of those. Having environment to interact with is key to any good sandbox game. Wether its activities like fishing, hunting,crafting,building,trading or whatever. Having key locations that can alter the game dynamics is another part of that.

You are free to do what you want as long as the environment caters for it. A sandbox thats got no sand in it isnt very condusive to an autobiography.

• Like 1

Some players are this way; not all.  However, with persistent storage this will get much much worse unless there is an incentive to have a long-lived character. 

I mean, OP is right enough, but I don't necessarily think the two things are that separable. There are very few situations right now where you can give up your life without losing your loot.

So really all this means is that newspawns are reckless. And even if you implemented an experience system or something (my favorite idea was having your character grow a beard over time) to incentivize staying alive, it wouldn't fix that, since newspawns wouldn't have much experience anyway. A fully geared player is going to fight hard for their loot.

I guess the one other negative situation caused by attachment to loot over characters is that people are less likely to comply with being held up. But my experience is that most people will comply if you get the jump on them and outnumber them.

At the end of the day, this game wont be able to perfectly simulate the desire to live, because it just isn't real life.

Edited by ProfessorRex

Loot on a body is like rings on a tree..  

Its nice when you bag a whale of a target. Someone who has all the gear, all pristine. Lets you know you just killed someone worthy of death. 

Exactly. Most rewarding feeling for me on SA......until choppers come back that is =D

if/when they add beards ill be playing on my character trying to keep him from not dying for sure

• Like 1

Exactly. Most rewarding feeling for me on SA......until choppers come back that is =D

Choppers are basically what ruined DayZ mod... 

• Like 1

Beards... sorry guys. It won't work. Even if you get one, you're still going to be back where you started. You will die, and you won't even give a shit.

I've said this COUNTLESS times in other threads, but skills and character attributes would be a great addition! Now for newspawns that have absolutely nothing and they recklessly get themselves killed, well yeah they have nothing to lose. But when they pick up that first can of beans, or can opener, backpack, weapon, whatever, then all of a sudden they go from "Okay, I'm just going to wander into town and see what happens" to "Holy shit! Now lets se- HOLY SHIT A PLAYER! HIDE!"

As for skills, things like getting better at cooking, weapon maintenance, clothing maintenance, medical practices etc etc, would be a very effective way to prevent people from needlessly killing themselves. Character Attributes, basically your body adapting to the harsh environment, would also be a good way to promote survival. Now I seriously doubt it would be set to where if a player survives for... 135 days, then they become immune to headshots without a helmet. The Devs aren't stupid.

A larger character creation option would also be a big incentive. If you make yourself in the game, you'll be hard pressed to keep yourself alive, would you? No? Then go ahead and shoot yourself when the option comes.

Death penalty. People joked about putting in a 8 hr or 24 hr respawn timer. But this is a good idea. *Points gun at your head* NOT A WORD UNTIL I'M FINISHED! THANK YOU! This idea however, is that after you die on a server, you are banned from playing for that server for about 8hrs. That forces you then to play on a different server with a new character. Now what if you're playing with friends? Then oh well, you better tell them what server you moved to, or you will be playing without them. Harsh, but needed.

• Like 1

Beards... sorry guys. It won't work. Even if you get one, you're still going to be back where you started. You will die, and you won't even give a shit.

I've said this COUNTLESS times in other threads, but skills and character attributes would be a great addition! Now for newspawns that have absolutely nothing and they recklessly get themselves killed, well yeah they have nothing to lose. But when they pick up that first can of beans, or can opener, backpack, weapon, whatever, then all of a sudden they go from "Okay, I'm just going to wander into town and see what happens" to "Holy shit! Now lets se- HOLY SHIT A PLAYER! HIDE!"

As for skills, things like getting better at cooking, weapon maintenance, clothing maintenance, medical practices etc etc, would be a very effective way to prevent people from needlessly killing themselves. Character Attributes, basically your body adapting to the harsh environment, would also be a good way to promote survival. Now I seriously doubt it would be set to where if a player survives for... 135 days, then they become immune to headshots without a helmet. The Devs aren't stupid.

A larger character creation option would also be a big incentive. If you make yourself in the game, you'll be hard pressed to keep yourself alive, would you? No? Then go ahead and shoot yourself when the option comes.

Death penalty. People joked about putting in a 8 hr or 24 hr respawn timer. But this is a good idea. *Points gun at your head* NOT A WORD UNTIL I'M FINISHED! THANK YOU! This idea however, is that after you die on a server, you are banned from playing for that server for about 8hrs. That forces you then to play on a different server with a new character. Now what if you're playing with friends? Then oh well, you better tell them what server you moved to, or you will be playing without them. Harsh, but needed.

A workable idea but also a reprehensible violation of video game design ethics and a straight up turn off for prospective purchasers of Dayz SA. Though 8 hours is rather strict imo, 1 hour should be nice and in the mean time during the 1 hour wait the player can play some minigames added as a side to the whole Dayz game while they wait for the 1 hour to be up. Then again a person can just minimize their screen.

There is a flaw with the idea of adding incentives to survive. With every incentive to survive is yet another incentive for people to KoS.

There will always be people who want to troll and kill people to stop that person from having fun. For example, "Oh, that guy has awesome gear and a cool gun and can run faster and longer and is more accurate because hes survived soo long. Lets ruin his day and kill him cause that would be funny. I can see him rage quitting now! Haha loser."

There is nothing you can do to stop it. With the addition of more players and zombies, perhaps it may relieve some of the pressure to kill on sight because it may end up in getting you killed in return, but it will never completely get rid of it.

• Like 1

I hope they will never implement things even a bit similar to this (It is a good principle but not for this game). If DayZ becomes a coop survival zombie game where you can win against the AI it would break everything what made DayZ so special.

that has nothing to do with turning into coop winning against ai bs. it would add an interesting new dynamic to the game, group takes over the dam, then extorts the other survivors, you want electricity? pay up(your not going to be able to keep a heli in working condition for very long without electricity). imagine the battles that would happen over control of that place. or are you saying that turning the electricity on will end the zombie apocolypse and turn the world into rainbows and unicorns?

Edited by hellcat420

A workable idea but also a reprehensible violation of video game design ethics and a straight up turn off for prospective purchasers of Dayz SA. Though 8 hours is rather strict imo, 1 hour should be nice and in the mean time during the 1 hour wait the player can play some minigames added as a side to the whole Dayz game while they wait for the 1 hour to be up. Then again a person can just minimize their screen.

I didn't say they would be banned on ALL servers, just the server they died on. That way they can still play the game, but it would have to be on a completely different server until the time expires.

There is a flaw with the idea of adding incentives to survive. With every incentive to survive is yet another incentive for people to KoS.

There will always be people who want to troll and kill people to stop that person from having fun. For example, "Oh, that guy has awesome gear and a cool gun and can run faster and longer and is more accurate because hes survived soo long. Lets ruin his day and kill him cause that would be funny. I can see him rage quitting now! Haha loser."

There is nothing you can do to stop it. With the addition of more players and zombies, perhaps it may relieve some of the pressure to kill on sight because it may end up in getting you killed in return, but it will never completely get rid of it.

I'm going to be blunt here, and say THIS ISN'T AN ANTI KOS IDEA! Yes, people will be douche bags, and they will shoot you in the face and desecrate your corpse no matter what! BUT, if they value their in game lives, they will be more smarter, and careful about how they go about it!

what about a penalty like the bandit skin from the mod only instead of a cool ''I want it'' skin you end up looking like a total gimp.

what about a penalty like the bandit skin from the mod only instead of a cool ''I want it'' skin you end up looking like a total gimp.

That would be a good idea... if you wanted to take away clothing items and customization too.