SoundWave (DayZ)

Noob Question about Voice/Speak

This is probably a silly question but i am new to multiplayer online games where you need to communicate with other players.

My question is this.

When i want to speak to another player, is it just a simple case of making sure my headset is plugged in to my PC and that i hit the speak key (Caps Lock on my key assignments) when another player is near.

I have seen some posts that talk about teamspeak etc but rather than going down this road i was hoping there was an easier way to go than that.

My only other experience with headset chat was on CS Source but you could set that up on the options menu within the game.

Sorry again for what is probably a silly question but i want to take my gaming in dayz to the next level and play/communicate with other players.

Thanks

There are 2 different kind of chat.

For a "public" chat you just need to press Caps Lock and speak in your microphone. Everyone near enough (around 50m) can hear you talking.

The chat that you have using teamspeak is a "private" chat. It means that only the other people (friends) on the same teamspeak channel can hear you.

So basically you can have both. You can talk all the time in the private chat with yours friends without pressing any button or key and than you can press Caps Lock when you want to interact with the rest of the world.

• Like 2

To expand even more on tmbt's info, if you get friends in the game, you will want a private chat of some sort.  You will only want to voice chat in in-game/public chat when coming accross another unknown player in the game.  Basically to find out if they are friendly or not.  For normal communication with a friend, you'll want to private chat using Ventrilo, teamspeak, Razer comms, etc...  Just chatting up a storm in game with a friend you might be running with will give your location off to who ever might be waiting to take you out.

Here's a tid-bit. If you double-tap CAPS-LOCK, you can turn it on permanently. You can then turn it off by double clicking again. I found this to be helpful when I'm talking to an unfriendly and got to keep on the go. Hope that helps you friend!

sometimes people just shoot on sight and I wonder is that my mic doesn't working well?cause I told them that I am friendly...though....and there is also a problem  that you are hard to heard what others are talking even you stand next to them...

Thanks everyone, some great info.

i think i will try public chat first and hopefully find some friends with teamspeak, ventrilo etc.

lovin this forum, some really great posts for help and advice

There is another thing, you can use steam chat if you make "friends" in the game. Just message them, then change to voice chat...you can add many ppl and its free! :thumbsup:  :beans:  B)

I use it with the new friends i made on dayzSA. That's another option you have, cheers have fun!