Sign in to follow this  
Ramzzzeee

Non-lethal weapons

In DayZ I have decided to try and get along with out killing anyone, now I have no problem with violence in video games (in fact I play a lot of FPS and Doom is what got me started with PC's back in the Day) but to me the beauty of DayZ is diversity and choice.  so Unlike a Slayer/Deathmatch, there is no "sides" everyone maybe a friend or a foe.

now when encountering other players you really only have a few options (right now). 1) avoid them 2) shoot them 3) talk to them

now a encounter may combine some mix of those 3 but there is really no good non-lethal means of self defense.

my suggestion is to add a few (or maybe a number of) non-lethal weapons, such as tranquilizer darts, smoke and tear gas (maybe give a reason for gas mask), tasers, blackjacks (with a higher chance to knock out from behind than a bat maybe?). now how these items are used are up to the person, I would just like them so I can defend myself with out killing fellow "survivors" however I can see bandits using these for some very different uses BUT I'm Ok with that.

as a side effect I think it would reduce the number of KoS, for two reasons 1) bandits would/might use it if it didn't ruin gear like shooting someone does. 2) people who are just trying to defend themselves might use it to escape with out bloodshed.I could see this opening up several interesting playstyle options.

so what do you all think, any draw backs to having non-lethal weapons? benefits ?

if there were non-lethal weapons in-game would you use them, and if so how?

• Like 1

Searchfirst lol.

Many, many of these threads have been made, why not check them out?

Searchfirst lol.

Many, many of these threads have been made, why not check them out?

hmmm I guess I used the wrong search term as non-lethal turned up nothing, could you point me in the direction of one of these topics.

I truthfully have not seen them, but yeah I figured I wasn't the first to think it would be a neat thing to have.

Searchfirst lol.Many, many of these threads have been made, why not check them out?

I see you are still in the hand of nod. No secret shrine yet?

I agree. I want to be able to blackjack people.

Anyways, OP, this idea is good do not get me wrong, but I guess you already know what I would post instead of this. To many people have said it before me. Have a nice day and God Bless!

Non-Lethal Weapon

Good idea.

I see opportunity for a new movie parody.

I agree. I want to be able to blackjack people.

Heh....

Edit:But brain damgae aside....knocking someone behind with a blackjack type weapon (baseball bat,shovel,etc)

Should render him unconcious with some minor health loss (no bleeding).

So there is a chance of accidently killing the victim.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

If someone could post to another thread that's already made this idea,we'd love to see it (Search function sucks hard btw :P)

With Damny's idea, I think it should happen if you hit the guy with the Blackjack (or whatever you're using to knock the guy out with) more than once, then it should have a higher chance of killing them.

For everything else, non-lethal would be great to have against players for all sides. Bandits, tired of constantly finding ruined shit off a person you shot? Say no more and pick up a taser, tranquilizer dart, tear gas, or the many non lethal weapns around and knock the poor sob unconscious, before you rob him blind :D.

BUT, these weapons should only work against players, and not against the 'infected humans' otherwise you make an already non threatening threat even more worthless and unnecessary.

• Like 1

tazers that stun people and make them unable to move

cs gas that make people's vision blurry temporarily

would be fun

• Like 1

Heh....

Edit:But brain damgae aside....knocking someone behind with a blackjack type weapon (baseball bat,shovel,etc)

Should render him unconcious with some minor health loss (no bleeding).

So there is a chance of accidently killing the victim.

Cool info, personally I think in this game a short knock out would be best anyway (and as your video pointed out, more realistic)

I'm also fine with "less lethal" weapons having a chances to kill some one (though it should be pretty low).

as for dosage of things like tranquilizer darts.... since there is little character customization and every one is basically the same weight (well maybe women and men differ ) I would say a one dose fits all would be "realistic" as the customization allows for.

Cool info, personally I think in this game a short knock out would be best anyway (and as your video pointed out, more realistic)

I'm also fine with "less lethal" weapons having a chances to kill some one (though it should be pretty low).

as for dosage of things like tranquilizer darts.... since there is little character customization and every one is basically the same weight (well maybe women and men differ ) I would say a one dose fits all would be "realistic" as the customization allows for.

But the chance should not be total random. I dont know how far they go with the health system but just some stuff that could increase the chance of dying could be low blood, stress, low hydration and energy, untreated wounds. Stuff like that. So shooting a guy 3 times in the leg and tazer him afterwards would most likley just kill him. But a healthy guy should run no risk to die when getting knocked over.

But the chance should not be total random. I dont know how far they go with the health system but just some stuff that could increase the chance of dying could be low blood, stress, low hydration and energy, untreated wounds. Stuff like that. So shooting a guy 3 times in the leg and tazer him afterwards would most likley just kill him. But a healthy guy should run no risk to die when getting knocked over.

makes sense, I wouldn't see why it couldn't be tied to the health system, from my understanding they want it to be pretty robust.

perhaps some people might even be allergic to some chemical (such as tranq darts) which would require you to use a epipen on them or they would die (maybe you need to check there pulse before you leave them to make sure you didn't do any lasting damage? )