leefriendfield

Please Add The Ability To Text Over The Radio

People that are physically unable to use the mic need to be able to communicate as well as anyone with a mic. (time to perform action aside - talking vs typing) Immersion doesn't matter.

That's true, and it is of course admirable to cater for those who are in that position. It's a considerably small percentage of the user base though. 

Do you think I was advocating the removal of text chat? I certainly wasn't.

That's true, and it is of course admirable to cater for those who are in that position. It's a considerably small percentage of the user base though. 

Do you think I was advocating the removal of text chat? I certainly wasn't.

No, I do not think you would.

But the topic at hand is about the fact that voice chat reaches a wider audience than text chat, which is an issue.

But we are still getting ignorant posters like the Doge avatar above.

Number of "fair" deaths > number of deaths from cheating.

In short you are changing the game for a very small percentage of kills. Also, knowing the name doesn't actually help that much in terms of proving someone is hacking and/or cheating. It should be based on logs and observation of their play, done from admin level.

You don't know what percentage of kills hackers make. I for one sometimes record my play and want to catch and report cheaters I catch. Can't report unless you know who the offender is for fck sakes. How is admin going to know about the suspects and to track them unless a player reports suspicious behavior. There are currently no admins though and that is why there is no name recognition and report option..not because of 'immersion'.

it's all about minimising them rather than eradicating them.

It certainly seems so. Bury your head in sand and minimize the problem.

There are... *counts fingers* ...three reasons I can think of where someone with a mic cannot use it.

- They are mute
- They are playing in an excessively noisy location
- They are playing literally right next to someone who is sleeping

All other situations can be worked around by fiddling with the mic gain and speaking at a suitable level for the situation. Cries of "oh, but someone is sleeping in the room over" is a poor reason. Turn the mic gain up and speak quietly. The sleeping person won't hear you unless you speak like Foghorn Leghorn or you live in a house made from rice paper, and the gain increase will mean it's loud enough for people to hear in game. Simple solution to a simple problem, no? Presactly.

Anyway, text over radios? Nyeh. It should be restricted to a max length of text (say, 100 characters) because realism/immersion/fuck people without mics*.

*delete based on personal preference

Typically I try not to KoS so I announce myself or try to get someones attention if I see them first. If I don't get voice coms back I shoot. Too dangerous otherwise.

So we know bandits are bandits and KoS is KoS, but is there a difference between griefers who kill people just to be a prick and KoS people who are just trying to live a bit longer?

You don't know what percentage of kills hackers make.

And by simple implication neither do you, which makes either of our arguments based on a subjective rather than an objective basis.

I for one sometimes record my play and want to catch and report cheaters I catch. Can't report unless you know who the offender is for fck sakes. How is admin going to know about the suspects and to track them unless a player reports suspicious behavior. There are currently no admins though and that is why there is no name recognition and report option..not because of 'immersion'.

It's still in Alpha of course, but logs would be the way I would resolve it. If an admin is not available then what is the point of knowing the player name anyway? Names/IPs these are constants when it comes to non-hackers, those who do hack are not going to keep the same ones from server to server.

It certainly seems so. Bury your head in sand and minimize the problem.

Not too sure what the bury your head in sand comment is relating to. If you wish to be a King Cnut go ahead, but if you think you can somehow stop hacking and/or cheating then you are definitely in for a disappointment.

The 2000's called and want their computers back. Practically everyone has a a mic, and if you don't. Just wow.

Em... im not very confident at speaking so for me its hard to speak to random players.

• Like 1

Hello there

Dont forget that users who spam global, could be muted. Gotta learn those controls guys!

Rdgs

LoK

Dont forget that users who spam global, could be muted. Gotta learn those controls guys!

I totally agree with the OP in the sense that localised text chat should cover the same virtual distance as voice chat. I don't see the benefit of introducing global text chat though whether it can be muted or not.

Turn the mic gain up and speak quietly. The sleeping person won't hear you unless you speak like Foghorn Leghorn or you live in a house made from rice paper

In your imagined world, this may be true. In reality, it is not.

And you come across as a loud whispering nutter and get killed regardless. Maybe we need voice modulating autotune compression gain systems.

Em... im not very confident at speaking so for me its hard to speak to random players.

If you don't put yourself into those situations, you'll never get over it.  

In my "imagined world", I can use VOIP whilst the Mrs sleeps next to me on the sofa and not wake her up, so go figure.  :rolleyes:

Maybe we need voice modulating autotune compression gain systems.

Oooh, ooh, autotune... just think of the dreadful R&B merchants would hit voip if that was the case!

I sometimes have to use text chat because a housemate on the floor above me can hear my talking. It is an old house, it has low, thin, badly insulated ceilings  - sound carries quite easily. And my housemate is apparently a much lighter sleeper than your missus. So maybe the game could cater for a variety of people and situations, rather than blandly generalise and assume everybody has exactly the same life?

I sometimes have to use text chat because a housemate on the floor above me can hear my talking. It is an old house, it has low, thin, badly insulated ceilings  - sound carries quite easily. And my housemate is apparently a much lighter sleeper than your missus. So maybe the game could cater for a variety of people and situations, rather than blandly generalise and assume everybody has exactly the same life?

This is why I use text late at night, so I don't wake my mom or dad.

Number of "fair" deaths > number of deaths from cheating.

In short you are changing the game for a very small percentage of kills. Also, knowing the name doesn't actually help that much in terms of proving someone is hacking and/or cheating. It should be based on logs and observation of their play, done from admin level.

Why would you upset me? If you'd read some of my previous posts I've said that cheaters/hackers/glitchers will always be part of an online gaming community no matter what you do, it's all about minimising them rather than eradicating them.

It might be a good idea if the server can at least tell what player killed what player. That way, the server admin can at least monitor what is happening. 

Pls close this thread this is turning to a hate war o.O

This thread is getting, interesting...

It's rudimentary game options

Global Chat- Off/ON

Character Names- Off/ON

VOIP - Off/ON

Total Immersion - Wtf you on about, it's just a game/ON :P

You can click your way into a kind of game you dream of, but, don't freakin impose your strange wishes on the rest of playerbase that also wants to have fun their way.

Edited by Highlander007

It's rudimentary game stuff

Global Chat- Off/ON

Character Names- Off/ON

VOIP - Off/ON

Total Immersion - Wtf you on about, it's just a game/ON :P

You can click your way into any kind of game you dream of, but, don't freakin impose your strange wishes on the rest of playerbase that also wants to have fun their way.

Maybe on private hives; This should not be an option on public servers.

Don't agree with me, put your gun down first

I don't have to agree with everything. I agree with the comment you make about cheaters. && I have no gun. Only a pristine keyboard.