ViktirE

Worn/Damaged weapon behaviors

I've been tossing this idea around with some friends and finally decided to add it to the pile.

I feel that "worn" guns should have slightly less recoil and reload slightly faster than their pristine counterparts.

The reasoning behind this is that most any piece of machinery with moving parts works a little more smoothly after its been broken in.

This would also cause people to cherish their weapon a little more and give a real sense of ownership to the weapon.

The reasoning behind this is that most any piece of machinery with moving parts works a little more smoothly after its been broken in.

I'm no weapon expert, but i feel that this doesn't apply in this context. I would expect a pristine weapon to act... pristine

Worn means more of Worn Down than Worn as in Broken In (Like shoes). Pristine should always work the best.

• Like 1

The whole concept is fake, so trying to find some realism in it will be terribly difficult.

The system should be based on care. Clean or not. The result should be jamming or breakage, not "wear". Guns do wear down, but it takes a long-damn-time.

• Like 2

I don't understand this concept of wear. My father inherited a relative's gun nearly 100 years old and it still works fine today. It's pretty accurate; I love the thing. Even worn rifling can still produce accurate fire, and barrels can often be replaced anyway. Clearly DayZ takes place hundreds of year in the future, where guns are reasonably worn. <-joke

The weapon cleaning kit restores the guns condition to worn already, to a clean and function weapon that has taken no abuse. It lends itself to my idea (backed up by agouti's anecdote) that some or most machines work a little more smoothly when the finely machine made edges have been working together enough that they become a better fit than it was straight out of the factory. It also would account for the fact that even a marksman shoots better with his own gun, that he has practiced with for some time.

Pristine weapons in-game are highly unlikely to be brand new. You're finding them in barracks and whatnot in an apocalypse scenario, they've more than likely already been broken in...

• Like 1

Pristine weapons in-game are highly unlikely to be brand new. You're finding them in barracks and whatnot in an apocalypse scenario, they've more than likely already been broken in...

Yes, nothing in the apocalypse is likely to be brand spanking new.

Weapon conditions pretty much affect weapon jamming and not much els, unless its completely rusted.

Weapon conditions pretty much affect weapon jamming and not much els, unless its completely rusted.

Even then most guns will get dirty before they get damaged.

Pristine and worn should be the same, performance-wise. If anything, guns should be VERY SLIGHTLY more likely to jam if damaged. Any gun that doesn't shoot where it's pointed, is useless and thus by definition "ruined" by the game's standards, so there should be no gradual accuracy drop. We already have to contend with the bullshit "cone of fire" mechanic, we don't need more make believe stuff. 

I realize that finding an unused gun lying around would be highly unlikely, but if they're not new the game shouldn't refer to them as pristine.

Websters online definition of Pristine:

being in an original and unused or unspoiled state <a pristine forest that has never been subjected to logging or development>

Synonyms: brand-new, mint, pristine, span-new, virgin, virginal

Related Words: unaltered, unblemished, unbruised, uncontaminated, undamaged, undefiled, unharmed, unhurt, unimpaired, uninjured, unmarred, unpolluted, unsoiled, unspoiled, unsullied, untainted, untouched, unworn; new, spick-and-span (or spic-and-span)
Edited by ViktirE

Also, if we're talking real life, it's unlikely that you would find orphaned working weapons at all, BUT on the off chance you did I would think the military base would be the only place where you might find a stash of brand new weapons. I personally wouldn't have a problem if all guns outside of military installments were spawning with some degree of weathering on them already. I fact, I think I would prefer that.

:P  :|  :)  :)  :)  :|  ASDFKLKL;ASJDLKFJLK JAS;LKDJFKLSJ;DKLFJKASJLKDJF;ASKLDJ;F LJAKLSJLDFJKL;AJSLKDFJFKLJAKLSDJFKL;AJSLFAJSLDKFJL

Also, if we're talking real life, it's unlikely that you would find orphaned working weapons at all, BUT on the off chance you did I would think the military base would be the only place where you might find a stash of brand new weapons. I personally wouldn't have a problem if all guns outside of military installments were spawning with some degree of weathering on them already. I fact, I think I would prefer that.

There are a lot of reasons you'd find guns about in working condition, even brand new guns.

1.) Gun storage. You can still find many unshot Mosins packed in the original cosmoline. Weapons are manufactured in bulk and the military particularly will keep stores around just in case they need to surge troop enlistment.

2.) Manufacturer storage. Guns are manufactured at an incredible rate and stored, waiting for buyers. They are not perishable goods.

3.) Gun stores. Sellers keep stock for purchasers.

4.) Gun Nuts. Assuming many people were able to flee, some people have far more guns than would be practical to be carrying with you on the run.

5.) Dead People. Not everyone is going to make it. People who don't make it aren't going to get to go back home and get their guns. Or they may have their gun on them when they die.

6.) Out of Ammo. People may drop perfectly working weapons simply because they don't have ammunition and don't expect to find more. Not everyone in a zombie apocalypse is going to sling a dang rifle on their shoulder and carry it around for days or months, particularly if running constantly from death.

The system right now is too inaccurate anyway imo. Your sewing kit get damaged when you use it? You repair damaged guns with a cleaning kit?

There are a lot of reasons you'd find guns about in working condition, even brand new guns.

1.) Gun storage. You can still find many unshot Mosins packed in the original cosmoline. Weapons are manufactured in bulk and the military particularly will keep stores around just in case they need to surge troop enlistment.

2.) Manufacturer storage. Guns are manufactured at an incredible rate and stored, waiting for buyers. They are not perishable goods.

3.) Gun stores. Sellers keep stock for purchasers.

4.) Gun Nuts. Assuming many people were able to flee, some people have far more guns than would be practical to be carrying with you on the run.

5.) Dead People. Not everyone is going to make it. People who don't make it aren't going to get to go back home and get their guns. Or they may have their gun on them when they die.

6.) Out of Ammo. People may drop perfectly working weapons simply because they don't have ammunition and don't expect to find more. Not everyone in a zombie apocalypse is going to sling a dang rifle on their shoulder and carry it around for days or months, particularly if running constantly from death.

I see your point, but I think that any of those places you listed would have been easily and repeatedly picked clean because they usually exist close to civilization.

Military bases on the other hand would have less of a chance of having been looted because they're  not often "close" to where civilians live and they're full of zombies in body armor.

I see your point, but I think that any of those places you listed would have been easily and repeatedly picked clean because they usually exist close to civilization.

Military bases on the other hand would have less of a chance of having been looted because they're  not often "close" to where civilians live and they're full of zombies in body armor.

Really depends on the "lore". Seems to me that we are the survivors, so we would be the looters, not some magical invisible npc looting army that made off with the goods.

Well how far do you want to go with that? Which magical fairies put the loot there after someone else grabbed it a few hours ago?

Weapon wear should mean more jams and misfeeds as the internals are getting dirty, especially the M4/FN45, which need more looking after than a shotgun/double rifle/Revolver. So the status of weapons becoming more worn should be different for each type of weapon.

At the moment you pick up a pristine (Clean and working) M4 put 5/6 magazines through it, roll around the floor a bit, you should be looking to clean it to keep it pristine. If not then its going to start to malfunction. M4 users try to keep their weapons as oiled as possible to stop these malfunctions, using a cleaning kit should be high on users post battle drills.

Differing weapons and weapon systems all have their advantages and disadvantages, but they should all be looked after, most experianced users will be on top of their weapon cleaning, after all its the one thing you need to work every time.

Looked after an M4 should on average manage 1 to 2000 rounds between faliures, a looked after UK L85A2 will on average manage 30k rounds between faliures. Its all down to the gas system of the weapon, The L85 has a 21" barrel, so will be accurate and have enough stopping power to injure at 300m, the M4 with its shorter 16" barrel, will be accurate to 200m and have the same injuring effect. The L85 is a lot heavier than the M4, so its swings and roundbouts, Hopefully this difference between similar weapons firing the same ammunition will be included in the finished game.

• Like 1