GriefSlicer (DayZ)

Do you believe people who shoot on sight are terrible at DayZ?

Shooting on sight is massive topic in DayZ and it is something that rocket has successfully slightly reduced the people that actually shoot on sight which is great, but there are still many people who shoot anyone sight no matter what. The thing I cannot really grasp around is that when you approach a person who shoots on sight and you say "can you please explain to me why you are shooting on sight?" they are stuck for words and I believe deep down inside the cogs of their brain they are thinking "He has got a point".

Today I was faced with a guy and a girl who seemed like they were camping the hospital roof with their M4's. I walked past the hospital out in the open and put my gun away just to show them I was friendly just in case they were just looking for loot or trying to hold people up. All of a sudden I heard a crack from the M4 and I ran off running behind a building. I slowly swerved through the streets of elektro and found an opportunity to have a chat with these confused players. Standing in third person I initiated chat asking them "why are you shooting on sight?". I talked for five minutes without them replying until I pissed them off enough to actually start talking. He started with saying "Nahhhhp" until the girl joined in claiming "I had my gun out and that is why we shot at you" after I asked "Why did you shoot at me?". I then proceeded to ask "So why are you shooting fresh spawns on sight" and she of course claimed "We only shoot geared people like you" (LATER WHEN I LEFT I WATCHED THEM FOR 10 MINUTES SHOOT FRESH SPAWN AFTER FRESH SPAWN). I kept protesting against her claims, but she kept talking excuses out of her ass which really left me to the conclusion people who shoot on sight do not know what they are doing and they don't really have a counter argument to "You are bad at DayZ, because you shoot on sight". Later on I kindly left saying "Well A girl like you must be bloody fat" and she replies in a muffled voice "yeahsdfhdfdfdfdfseuif". I have approached dozens of people who shoot on sight in DayZ to have a chat and they either do not talk altogether or they reply in smart ass comments attempting to change the subject at points.

Just a few questions

If you shoot on sight why do you do it?

can you explain to me why you are not bad at the game if you shoot on sight?

What is your opinion on people who shoot on sight?

Do you think they are just pure douche bags that ruin your DayZ experience?

Should they be ashamed of themselves?

EDIT: SORRY IF PEOPLE HAVE KINDA MIS-UNDERSTOOD, BUT MY POST RELATES BACK TO THE STORY I TOLD AND IT IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO CAMP AREAS NOT IN SELF DEFENSE, BUT JUST FOR FUN. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO GO PLAYER HUNTING BASICALLY!

Edited by GriefSlicer
  • Like 3

Well my group hunt people who kill on sight and I don't think their skill has anything to do with it

I've met bandits who kill on sight and are by no means bad at the game, there are times where we have been outnumbered and won and times where the enemy has half our numbers and has beaten us because they are eiether good at the game/ took us by surprise Ect

There are also many bandits who KOS who are terrible

Just yesterday a guy ambushed two of my group and missed a 40 round mag from an M4 at about 10metres away before we killed him

But there's been times where one guy can snipe most of your group with one shots if he's good enough and you can see him

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

Well my group hunt people who kill on sight and I don't think their skill has anything to do with it

I myself hunt people who shoot on sight, but if you think about it if someone is too lazy to play a game properly would you not consider "bad at the game"?

I have seen and encoutneres some of the worst scums in this game.

I just avoid people overall now, Just watch them from the distance and shoot to scare them away.

I don't kill on sight...its just pointless...

Well to answer your question from my point of view.

Many players think this is pvp shooter, Some people's goal is ''how many i can kill before i die'' which is a horribly wrong way to play dayz.

Some do it cause of paranoia, I get that, some do it to survive, I understand but having the pvp as a goal is just wrong.

These 2 people you encountered were probably some kids.Kids are like this, easily entertained, often rage.

• Like 6

It depends, the guys who camp Kamyshovo with snipers shooting newspawns are usually pretty crappy but I've still met a lot of KOS players who are good at what they do

I'm sure at least 75% of the people that KoS do it because they would rather shoot first than be killed. 

If I step around a corner and a guy has his weapon drawn I will more than likely shoot him

If I had to answer the second question, which I don't really want to, I would have to say that being good at the game would be decided by your assessing of the situation and knowing whether or not to shoot first. There are times where negotiations and friendships aren't possible and shooting first is the only way to survive.

After all it is a survival game, if you get KoS'd it's because you have played poorly or made an error in judgement.

Should they be ashamed of themselves? ... no, it's a game and they probably enjoyed it.

KoS is part of the game. Get used to it because it will never go away.

• Like 14

I think you're 100% right.

Example I spawned wandered into a barn and found a shovel (which is useless on experimental zombies) Turn around and a fresh spawn is ready to punch me out.

The question is why? We're both fresh spawns. The guy can see i'm not geared.

I can only surmise he's such a crappy player at dayz that they only want to steal other players gear or shoot people because they don't know how to play the game or are so terrible that they keep dying and eventually give up to the point where they'll kill anyone on sight.

I think the game is too difficult for them. They don't understand/know how to play it. Get tired of dying and failing at it so when they do get a weapon they just sit and shoot people because its easier than roaming around chernarus doing stuff

• Like 1

I'm sure at least 75% of the people that KoS do it because they would rather shoot first than be killed. 

If I step around a corner and a guy has his weapon drawn I will more than likely shoot him

After all it is a survival game, if you get KoS'd it's because you have played poorly or made an error in judgement.

Should they be ashamed of themselves? ... no, it's a game and they probably enjoyed it.

KoS is part of the game. Get used to it because it will never go away.

^this

Edited by pacific_coast
  • Like 2

There is 2 different types of pure KOS players. First are the ones that camp the coast and shoot anything in their wake, usually fresh spawns. That doesn't require much skill but bad guys are a necessity for good guys to exist and vice versa really, i.e. ying and yang, it is the circle of life. Then there are the people who are roaming through the map and KOS, which takes much more skill.

Either way none of them are douche bags because they are playing the way they want to play in a sandbox game. e.g. Some people get off by killing zombies, others by killing new spawns etc., it is a matter of what makes the game fun for you, it is a matter of taste. You may not like it or enjoy it but complaining about it and claiming that your way of playing is "better" would be a douche bag move, considering this is a sandbox game.

I also think that you are a douche bag for calling that girl "bloody fat".

Edited by weedmasta
  • Like 9

Sometimes I shoot on sight because the game has stagnated for me and I want some action. Sometimes whoever I'm shooting has gear I may want. I also KoS whenever I'm in a popular city because at that point its kill or be killed. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm some KoSing scum, I like player contact too. It just depends on how I feel.

I guess the only way to say I'm not bad at this game is because I play the game how I want to play it. Just because someone plays in a way that is frowned upon doesn't make he/she bad. I've seen people that are actually bad at this game play a friendly hero. Just because you talk to someone instead of shooting them makes you better or worse at this game. But on a whole, I feel that most people who KoS are not as good.

People who KoS? They chose to play that way.

People that ruin the DayZ experience are people that grief other players than just killing them. People that after they kill you, they scream slurs into your corpse are douches that ruin the experience.

KoS players should not be ashamed.

Edited by DoctorRayRay

98% of times I KOS, because I dont want to get killed.

• Like 1

Just a few questions

For fun. Its a game, and as such I come for entertainment. But I also don't simply treat it like BF4 or CoD. Its all about the circumstances. I get lost in the moment, and when I see a player, I do whatever I feel makes sense at that moment in respect to how I play. For me, its ALL about what MAKES SENSE.

I don't claim to be some kind of master, but I play the game in a manner that MAKES SENSE to me. That often includes killing another player. Generally, I am stealthy, paranoid, and always ready for anything to happen at any moment. I assume at all times that I am either being followed, that a player is nearby, and/or that an ambush is just up ahead.

My opinion of KoSers is good. They bring an element of fear and anticipation to the game. The ONLY kind of KoSing I disapprove of is camping the exact spot players spawn at to kill them the moment they get in game. I approve 100% of killing bambis that are traveling the coast. I LIKE the feeling of danger and fear I get as a fresh spawn because of people that do this.

Unless they are camping the exact spawn points, no.

Unless they are camping the exact spawn points, no.

THERE IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY THE GAME (with the exception of cheating, exploiting, or camping spawn points).

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 2

I think you misjudged my statement as I was relating back to the story of the hospital camping scum. The general rule is if there is someone with their weapon drawn looking at you it is absolutely fine to shoot them as they are a huge threat. I shoot anyone armed in military areas, because I know that people will not be friendly there. If i am far away from them it is simple for me to watch them for a while and move on, but in close quarters I am all out guns blazing if no communication is made after I tell them to stop.

I think that is where you are trying to get at, but i am talking about the armed vs unarmed. Do you really think that you need to think about shooting or not shooting a person that is a very minimal threat to you. An example situation is a man sees a guy running down the road with a gun on his back so he tells him to "stop running". The man stops, but the guy just shoots him straight in the head without warning. Was it really necessary to shoot a man who has a huge disadvantage over him. The possibilty of the guy pulling out his gun and shooting the guy would been very slim and really saying that most people with guns on their back mean they don't have the intention of shooting anyone they see.

The message here is at times shooting on sight is completely fine, but if you are going to blast an innocent man just, because he is "a new spawn and he has nothing to loose" or "he has some good gear i want" that is when shooting on sight is just a big no no.

You're correct in that a lot of people don't really know why they do it. I can explain why - I've actually made a couple of posts about this in threads where people are begging for measures to reduce/eradicate KoS. Here's the gist of it:

- You have a very small group of people who do it because they like to piss people off. Given guns are involved, these players are able to affect the play experience of a great many other players, which results in:

- A lot of players getting pissed off with being shot by snipers/street roamers with no inclination to communicate or interact in any other way. These players start killing others on sight reflexively as a defence mechanism, which leads to:

- The KoS mentality spreading quickly through a community, effectively killing off most chances at meaningful interaction, as it becomes the easiest and most effective way to counter others doing the same thing.

I was one of the second group of players when I first started playing DayZ, and quickly judged that it was a very bad way to play if I wanted to stay alive. Mind you, I am one of the terrible players you mentioned; I can't shoot for shit, and I have an annoying tendency to miss other players in my field of view whether they are hiding or not (on a side note, this is using third person view). But for me, killing on sight is a defence mechanism. It is the only way to keep hours' worth of gear when someone else shows up in my local area.

That being said, a lot of my more interesting interactions have resulted from the exceptions. I have yet to decide to help/trust anyone who hasn't proven to be a worthwhile connection in the long run, and in multiple cases these players have wound up becoming clan members/allies on the server with whom I can trade things or call on for support in times of need. People are willing to help each other. The problem is that, like a thorny plant, people will defensively bite at anyone who tries to interact with them for the most part because it's what they need to do to survive ingame.

Your best bet is to lend help where you know you can so safely and make yourself a decent reputation. Of course, in the standalone this is a hell of a lot harder, but it's still doable.

Sometimes I shoot on sight because the game has stagnated for me and I want some action. Sometimes whoever I'm shooting has gear I may want. I also KoS whenever I'm in a popular city because at that point its kill or be killed. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm some KoSing scum, I like player contact too. It just depends on how I feel.

I guess the only way to say I'm not bad at this game is because I play the game how I want to play it. Just because someone plays in a way that is frowned upon doesn't make he/she bad. I've seen people that are actually bad at this game play a friendly hero. Just because you talk to someone instead of shooting them makes you better or worse at this game. But on a whole, I feel that most people who KoS are not as good.

People who KoS? They chose to play that way.

People that ruin the DayZ experience are people that grief other players than just killing them. People that after they kill you, they scream slurs into your corpse are douches that ruin the experience.

KoS players should not be ashamed.

Not to be rude, but don't you think shooting an innocent on sight is considered griefing as much as calling out slurs when you kill someone?

i shot two people who must have been together on team chat

just unloaded both barrels into them

they wre running in the open in elektro and went into the church.

one ran past me and didnt see me standing in the open and the other went inside without checking out anything.

no emotion

i just caught them slippin and had to regulate

• Like 2

I tend to avoid killing anyone unless there's specific reasons where it feels necessary. However I've got no issues at all with KoS players.

I do have an issue with players, such as the OP, who seem to take the moral high ground and think they're better than other people because they play differently to others. Just because someone kills on sight, that doesn't mean they are 'terrible at DayZ'. It means they do something different to you, and you don't like it. Clearly you don't like it because you hunt those players - you wouldn't be doing it otherwise. 

Personally I think it's quite arrogant of people to assume they or their game style is better. You post questions, and questioned those two players, as if you're somehow owed an answer. When they choose not to indulge you, you decide they're 'bad at DayZ'. That's strange logic.

And to answer your overly melodramatic question "Should they be ashamed of themselves?" - I'd answer no more ashamed than someone who incredibly childishly says "Well a girl like you must be bloody fat" just because he or she doesn't like something.

• Like 3

Thanks for the opinions guys I will give it all good read in the morning as I'm hitting the hay. Some people have some very good points stating why they/other people shoot on sight. My mind has really changed from hating people who shoot me

When i am >>>armed<<< to understanding them. Thought my hatred still lives on to the people who KOS innocent unarmed people.

I semi-KoS. Sometimes I want action, so I'll take a potshot at a range I have no business trying to hit them at, just to get the juices flowing and the other player time to react. It's no fun ambushing people all the time and coming out on top because well, i've been following you for a little while and managed to close the gap for that easy kill. I don't shoot fresh spawns unless they try to Mike Tyson me by getting to close, and i'll usually shoot another armed player if I feel like it. I don't camp either, I roam the wastes of Chernarus lookin' for that thrill.

• Like 1

i shot two people who must have been together on team chat

just unloaded both barrels into them

they wre running in the open in elektro and went into the church.

one ran past me and didnt see me standing in the open and the other went inside without checking out anything.

no emotion

i just caught them slippin and had to regulate

Sometimes you have to shoot people to teach them a lesson. One does not simply stroll casually into elektro.  By killing them now you are saving them time. 

I got ambushed at Elektro docks last night. 4 guys had set up a perfect ambush and they took us all out. I thought that no one in their right mind would fire at 8 people... I was wrong... Now I will never make that mistake again and will probably become a better dayz player because of it.

• Like 2

OP try to make connect what don't exist :huh:

play style and skill level IS NOT CONNECT!!! >:(

kill on Sight guys getting hate from victim always :rolleyes:

so victim feel pain of lose life/gear and if they having fragile ego maybe pain of lose some self respect so they need to put negative label on guy who taking from him  :D

IF GUY KOS YOU AND HE IS 'SHIT' AT DAYZ, WHAT THIS MAKING YOU???????????? :thumbsup:  :lol:

I KILL ON SIGHT BECAUSE IS #1 STRATEGY FOR SURVIVE IN DAYZ NO MAN = NO PROBLEM AND FREE LOOT

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

It's a tough call, but basically, I have a problem with killing someone without interaction. I don't think that makes the killer a "bad" player. I just think it's not very good games"person"ship to take the fun out of someone else's game.

They guys who make the killing experience fun are better gamespeople in my opinion; they are providing something interesting and maybe a story that the victim can tell later.

Sniping someone because you waited and caught them unawares is not being a bad player, I just think it's no fun for the other party. There is no viscera to the experience. I've never done it, but I'm thinking about moving that direction in standalone because there is less motivation to interact like there is in the mod.

I hope that as the standalone develops, clever people on the dev team will find a way to motivate most players to value or need others. I think that the original blood-bagging mechanic was an attempt to step in this direction. I think that some sort of skill system would help. You might be a group of bandits with no doctor or no helicopter pilot. You'd need to find one. Unfortunately, there would probably be plenty of ways to bend such a system so you could get one of your bandit pals to be one, but it would add another dimension.

In any case, bad player, no. Not a fun person to be on the server with? yes.

• Like 2

Just a few questions

Only on or around military installations

It's the airfield, I've just trekked forever to get there, I want some of the high grade loot and if they see me they will shoot me, the ONLY time I've walked away from an encounter at the airfield, the other person initiated conversation and I replied immediately even then it was an uneasy situation.

I think they are generally to scared to engage another person in conversation, Another portion is the people who are so weak they can only gain any feeling of power or control via shooting people thus dominating them. Then there's the airfield KoS, I dont care I get mad at myself for not checking the area properly. Bandit's on the other hand imo is an honorable playstyle, it take effort and risk idgaf if they only end up torturing me until I die, fact is they had the stones to put themselves at actual risk.

Meh sometimes but dodge them where you can.

IDGAF when did I become the feelings police

Final note: Ever injure/KO a KoSer they cry beg and plea for their life they'll say anything they can that they think will get you to take mercy on them and thats where their true cowardice shows. I don't KoS in general and I've never begged for my life

to illustrate, an injured KoSer

1314194350658.gif

In any case, bad player, no. Not a fun person to be on the server with? yes.

many tears flow from eyes of players WHO FAIL to keep character alive and try to blame guy who pulling trigger :D

Best fun I having is with OTHER KoS guys :thumbsup:  ;)

we have confidence in ability and knowledge of game

we act without think never hesitate and after win we EVERY TIME laughing :lol:

is fun

you having fun when you looking you are dead screen??? :(

because same time you QQ and decide guy who doing is not fun guy he is smile and laugh inside and HAVING TOO MUCH FUN :lol:

Edited by KoS

If you shoot on sight why do you do it? I shoot on sight in dangerous area's, IE. Sniper hill in Elektro, I don't care if that person is friendly or not, if he is sniping, camping, I will kill him.

can you explain to me why you are not bad at the game if you shoot on sight? You aren't bad at the game because people WOULD do that in real life in those circumstances. I mean, people worse then bandits, like serial killers.

What is your opinion on people who shoot on sight? Bad bandit! Bad!

Do you think they are just pure douche bags that ruin your DayZ experience? 50/50. Sometimes yes, sometimes I just want to start over when I have everything.

Should they be ashamed of themselves? If they shoot people who try to communicate and "beg" them to survive, they should be ashamed. Alot.