SonicSonedit

Problems with cooking system

New cooking system looks pretty awesome! It adds a lot of depth to the survival aspect of the game, a lot atmosphere of adventure to the game!

But there is a one big problem with cooking:

To cook you need a portable stove, a pot and a pan.

This is 10 slots. Yes, food will probably be not as nutritious in 37 as it is now (e.g. upcoming rice changes). Yes, cooking will give you some benefits. But! You will soon find that it's much easier and more practical to just carry some canned food and a couple of water bottles than have 10 slots (13 with matches and kitchen knife) locked out with cooking equipment.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Keep Pot 4 slots (2x2) but turn it into a food only container with 4 slots.

2) Resize Stove to 1x1 when it doesn't have a gas can attached (1x2 with gas can attached).

3) Resize pan to 1x2 or 2x1.

4) Resize minot cooking items like kitchen knife to 1x1.

Edited by SonicSonedit
  • Like 2

Points become moot when vehicles are in. I know its a long time away but I rather not see the game being made more convenient just because of that.

Points become moot when vehicles are in. I know its a long time away but I rather not see the game being made more convenient just because of that.

First - this is VERY long time away, secondly, do you really expect vehicles to be a bottomless locker they used to be?

And yet still - 10+ slots of equipment to cook vs+ 10 slots of actual food.

Facepalm

Criticizing a feature that hasn't been implemented yet.

Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done.

Do you really tnk all food will need to be cooked?

Do you really think that from now until the game is uh... Playable-ier they won't make adjustments.

For gods sake. I gotta stop reading these suggestions posts.

Two things:

Firstly, we all carry too much stuff. You don't need two guns, let alone three. You don't need three water bottles. You don't need 300 rounds for your gun - let alone 300 for all of your guns. You don't need to hide your axe in your backpack. Hoard less and this won't be a problem.

Secondly, you can keep things inside your pots when stored inside your bags.

Thirdly, I think it would be quite cool if you could tie your cooking pot onto your rucksack, slowing you down and making a heap of noise but freeing up extra space!

• Like 1

I should be able to put my stove and gas canistor inside my cooking pot.

Last I checked you already can put things inside cooking pots. Not sure if you can then pick them up, but you could definitely store stuff in them. I used to do it all the time; hide food and stuff inside pots and bags so that the next person past comes up dry.

Hm.

Y not putting the gas stove and gas canister in the pot?

Hm.

Y not putting the gas stove and gas canister in the pot?

yeah dawg, I put a fry pan on that one and another gas stove under the pot, and you can cook with gas while your cooking with gas!!!

1310428349083_0.png

BOOM!!!

you are dead.

xzibit_meme_7219_RE_Wtf_am_i_reading-s51

• Like 6

Nah, i meant to carry the things you need to cook all in the pot.

So it's a cooking kit.

I should be able to put my stove and gas canistor inside my cooking pot.

This is how most portable stove kits are designed, it could work like the first aid pack sort of. Feasible?

Yeah I can't for the life of me find them, there is somewhere out there a portable gas stove that as part of the container includes a small pot.  Currently the pot's are 3x3 inside so that 2 for the stove and gas another 1 or 2 for a spare gas canister depending, 2 I think for the survival/combat/kitchen knife do you need a frying pan cos in an apocalypse I have no complaints about frying in a pot, done it before. then you can also store spare food in there as well. 

Another thought is food spoiling, I'm excited for the cooking, animals and camp fire's as a whole, would you be able to put a cold pack or something in the pot with your meat to make a makeshift cooler? humm cold pack seem kinda unlikely but I can imagine storing the raw meat in a pot or similar container would help keep it fresher for longer. yes it's not realistic but I don't remember the last time I threw a steak in with my guns, stick's and other things.

Edited by Window Licker

Yeah I can't for the life of me find them, there is somewhere out there a portable gas stove that as part of the container includes a small pot.  Currently the pot's are 3x3 inside so that 2 for the stove and gas another 1 or 2 for a spare gas canister depending, 2 I think for the survival/combat/kitchen knife do you need a frying pan cos in an apocalypse I have no complaints about frying in a pot, done it before. then you can also store spare food in there as well. 

Another thought is food spoiling, I'm excited for the cooking, animals and camp fire's as a whole, would you be able to put a cold pack or something in the pot with your meat to make a makeshift cooler? humm cold pack seem kinda unlikely but I can imagine storing the raw meat in a pot or similar container would help keep it fresher for longer. yes it's not realistic but I don't remember the last time I threw a steak in with my guns, stick's and other things.

Plastic storage/freezer bags would be good for freshly chopped meat. Lest it make a bloody dirty mess out of the rest of your pack :P

sure this is a wip area but i agree with the op on the item space....

i mean a small gas canisters + stove shouldnt be much bigger than a can of beans, atleast thats what it looks like ingame.

Bigger canisters bigger item is fine but the stove adapter shouldnt increse the item size of the cannister at all imo, its just a little attachment.

so small: 1x1, medium 2x1, large 3x1...

And yes we need more ways to store stuff outside your pockets or bagpack like the chestholster for the magnum. i would wear my knive on the leg or on the belt, like many other stuff if it would be possible...

Edited by Sonic-NKT

how about get a friend and you both split or decide who carries what. once stamina etc is introduced carrying necessitieswill be mor crucial than ever. hopefully fires will not be that hard to start because screw all that cooking gear.

how about get a friend

How about you get mirrion dorrars? Not everyone have a friend to carry bonus items.

Or they could add in makeshift altoid and beercan cookers which would take one slot and only work once for a limited amount of time.  Personally I would do that over carrying a camp stove and propane in my backpack... Get shot in the propane tank and you'll have a very bad day.