Sign in to follow this  
Foxxmaaa

Computer Troubles

Good afternoon, 

TLDR; Bought and built myself a new computer on a budget a few months ago, having alot of problems wondering if its the game's issues, Hardware issues or i did not setup the PC correctly

I recently bought a new pc with the limited amount of money I had last November, It cost around 900 Dollars. My intent was to play video games at a high end level with minimal to no Lag on most games. I have had  a lot  of trouble with it on DayZ: Mod and Standalone and other games such as Arma 3. In DayZ: Mod I get around 35 FPS Consecutively even in large Cities and in Fire fights, On the standalone It is seemingly similar with most things turned to medium and AA, Clouds and shadows turned off. This is not the best but still playable. The problem I am having is I get a stutter every few seconds When I am in major cities in Standalone, The main being elektro, It appear to start when Aim down into the city with right click when you zoom inwards, It stutters drastically for around 3 seconds and makes it unplayable. I know this is not the right forum for moaning about arma 3 but it's on the same engine and im presuming it links to the same problem so i am posting here. Arma 3, no matter what settings i change will not get above 20 FPS on any multiplayer server e.g. Altis life, wasteland and i have tried all tweaks for both games and have not had any luck and was wondering if it is my PC specs that are giving me the trouble or just that i set up my PC wrong when building it.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon (Foxxmaa) 

PC SPECS.

AMD FX-8350 Eight core processor      4.2 GHz (Overclocked to 4.51 GHz)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

4 GB Vengeance Ram 1600 MHz

64-bit Windows 7 Premium

DxDiag attached for more information

DxDiag.txt

ArmA hates AMD.

Don't feel too bad as no-one gets better than 40 FPS in the SA's cities.

It's more of the minimal stutter im worried about, as it makes it unplayable. It's not just the server either as i have tried on multiple.

Sice DayZsa is momentarily very gpu limited, you will run into a gpu-bottleneck
Best to update your gfx driver and disable all antiviruses while playing
(i.e. other Programms that take cpu power in Background if you run into cpu limit)
get a better gpu for more fps, or lower the resolution
maybe loosen the timings on ram and oc ram and gpu could help a little

Edited by dawud

Nah, GPU is fine for med/high settings @ 1080p, but if this was for gaming; why FX8350? 3570K is a tiny bit more but would stomp it at the same clock speed, plus not sure why you got just 4GB of RAM.

Nah, GPU is fine for med/high settings @ 1080p, but if this was for gaming; why FX8350? 3570K is a tiny bit more but would stomp it at the same clock speed, plus not sure why you got just 4GB of RAM.

I understand now i could have chosen better for the parts, but it's not going to help me several months after purchase.

I understand now i could have chosen better for the parts, but it's not going to help me several months after purchase.

Maybe you can achieve higher OC with 4-5 cores disabled? The only way you'll speed up the render thread (main bottlekneck) is with brute force.

Edit: Snippet form HardOCP:

AMD did actually suggest that reviewers disable cores to hopefully benefit overclocking successes.

• Try disabling cores:

• disable cores 1,3,5 and 7 for optimal performance (Cores 0,2,4 and 6 remain active => 4CU/4cores active)

• disable cores 4,5,6 and 7 for optimal OC (Cores 0,1,2 and 3 remain active => 2CU/4cores active)

Also did you try reducing view/object view distances? (For SA, may apply to others.)

Edited by SpudGun

Maybe you can achieve higher OC with 4-5 cores disabled? The only way you'll speed up the render thread (main bottlekneck) is with brute force.

Edit: Snippet form HardOCP:

AMD did actually suggest that reviewers disable cores to hopefully benefit overclocking successes.

• Try disabling cores:

• disable cores 1,3,5 and 7 for optimal performance (Cores 0,2,4 and 6 remain active => 4CU/4cores active)

• disable cores 4,5,6 and 7 for optimal OC (Cores 0,1,2 and 3 remain active => 2CU/4cores active)

Also did you try reducing view/object view distances? (For SA, may apply to others.)

Sorry for being blunt earlier, just been trying to solve my problems for a few days now. This may sounds stupid, how do i disable certain cores ? I tried with MSconfig but it doesn't allow you to select specific ones.

Sorry for being blunt earlier, just been trying to solve my problems for a few days now. This may sounds stupid, how do i disable certain cores ? I tried with MSconfig but it doesn't allow you to select specific ones.

No worries. If there's nothing in the bios; through task manager I guess though I'm honestly not sure, not had an AMD CPU for 10 years now.

It is SURELY not your computer, friend. I run DayZ on a 6 year old (?) AMD Athlon 64x2 dual-core with a Gforce 9800 GTX+   - game on standard settings.

There are a range of tweaks you can do to maybe run the game smoother, more 'how you like it'.. look in the threads or google, but your hardware is FINE, don't loose sleep over having the right gear or not. Look at discussions of framerate and ping: plenty of things to try out.

xx

It is SURELY not your computer, friend. I run DayZ on a 6 year old (?) AMD Athlon 64x2 dual-core with a Gforce 9800 GTX+   - game on standard settings.

There are a range of tweaks you can do to maybe run the game smoother, more 'how you like it'.. look in the threads or google, but your hardware is FINE, don't loose sleep over having the right gear or not. Look at discussions of framerate and ping: plenty of things to try out.

xx

I have tried most of the Little fps tweaks such as launch parameters, chance GPU view distance in the documents folder, but i just cannot seem to get rid of this stutter. I can cope with 30-35 fps in dayz but it's the stutter that makes it unplayable in elektro. Arma 3 on the other hand, no matter what i change i cannot push the 20 fps Mark.

No worries. If there's nothing in the bios; through task manager I guess though I'm honestly not sure, not had an AMD CPU for 10 years now.

Still cannot figure out how to disable cores, so i just set the affinity for both the options you suggested, and neither did much, fps did not increase can the stutter was still prevalent. Thanks for your input though .