entspeak

Don't respawn loot.

Someone just told me that they may be completely re-thinking the loot respawn system away from being managed by the individual servers and having loot spawning managed by a central server to create a global economy across servers.  Now that I think about it, I read this somewhere before, but can't find it.  If done right, it could create the same kind of scarcity across the public hive servers. So, say they add an NV monocular... they can make it so that only, say, 5 can exist in loot piles across the entire public hive. Loot  respawn would then likely be time based.  If a loot pile respawned a couple of hours after the item was removed, that'd be awesome.  This way, you'd still have scarcity, but farming would be very hard to do.  It would also prevent abusive server admins from restarting their servers to get an advantage on loot.

I'd say that would be a loot respawn system that would work.  Until they can get it working, my feeling would be to leave loot respawn off.

Nice vids, by the way. :)

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 1

I nearly starve on the experimental servers a lot. Everything is usually picked clean. I've had to resort to killing people for their beans again!

Someone just told me that they may be completely re-thinking the loot respawn system away from being managed by the individual servers and having loot spawning managed by a central server to create a global economy across servers.  Now that I think about it, I read this somewhere before, but can't find it.  If done right, it could create the same kind of scarcity across the public hive servers. So, say they add an NV monocular... they can make it so that only, say, 5 can exist in loot piles across the entire public hive. Loot  respawn would then likely be time based.  If a loot pile respawned a couple of hours after the item was removed, that'd be awesome.  This way, you'd still have scarcity, but farming would be very hard to do.  It would also prevent abusive server admins from restarting their servers to get an advantage on loot.

I'd say that would be a loot respawn system that would work.  Until they can get it working, my feeling would be to leave loot respawn off.

Nice vids, by the way. :)

I've heard that also. It's a very interesting and realistic idea but it would need a lot or toughts and tunning. It would also force people to interact with each others. Imagine there's like 10% of player that can repair an engine, repair guns etc.

I semi-agree. Loot should respawn if no players have entered the 500 meters of an area within 5 minutes or so. Same goes for zombies.

I agree. The only thing that should respawn are maybe pepsi cans some beans and an occasional saline bag or IV start kit

HARDCORE BABY

This coupled with base building and permenant stores will force people to group into armies so you'll have baddie bandits vs hero armies for the loot

Ah... more hyperbole. Yes, and it's just stupid that some people win the lottery while the rest of us have to slave away at our jobs. It's not like you have to take much effort to play the lottery. And in all your "years" of playing DayZ, have you seen a good loot spawning system? One better at preventing loot farming than not having one?

The point that they made a Standalone version of DayZ which is in alpha right now makes me hope that they will acctualy invent new stuff. And a system which prevents farming loot (what your idea does not) is already confirmed.

This is all weak. If you want hardcore: Cannibalism and no loot at all except one knife.

The only reason I'm interested in respawning loot is because hopefully that will encourage people to get off the motherfucking coast. 

But I don't think it will, at least not very much. Loot respawning should be based off the amount of players in the server, a lower population server would spawn very little gear. 

The only reason I'm interested in respawning loot is because hopefully that will encourage people to get off the motherfucking coast.

Well they should just add more content outside the coast for that

There's plenty of cities off the coast. Most of the more profitable ones are inland.

People stay around the ghetto because they're lazy. Simple as that. Nobody wants to spend an extra twenty minutes running to avoid the meat grinders... despite the fact that it's usually going to save you hours of fruitless grinding and dying.

No loot-respawns imply: Server restarts needed.

Why would you want server restarts?

Why not: Less loot on Hardcore?

Ya I'm sorry entspeak, you were definitely thinking on your toes but this will not happen (unless when private hives come out) simply because the developers have solely by tryin to get away from the old mod server restart (which is a huge break in immersion , bigger than too much loot in a zombie apocalypse).

so in my opinion hardcore servers (some) should have reduced loot , regular servers (if they chose to ) would have 100% loot spawns and the admin of the private hive sever (when they come out) can choose what percentage of loot spawns they want , and these percentages would correspond to how often the loot spawns and how good the loot is.

Loot farming breaks immersion and was one of the downsides of the mod. Even if only in the hardcore environment, it should be prevented in the best way possible... don't let loot respawn.

Well, in my opinion, what made the lootspawn system in the mod so bad, was the bubble-item-recycling garbage. You know...run into an area, kill Zs, loot, pick up all things, throw away the ones you dont need or want, run away, come back in a circle and the loot as respawned. takes 5 minutes if you are really slow or the area where you loot is big...

Loot respawn is not a problem here. Probability is. We can have dynamic respawns, but will lower chances.

Why not a good respawn system so there is only little loot after the restart and it only spawns little amount of loot over time? It would make loot allways rare and not only 1 hour after restart.

As far as I know, this is the way it will be implemented (if the Devs didn't change their mind) - An server start only a random, small amount of loot will spawn everything else gets a random timer (half hour was minimum as far as I remember) for intial spawn, if somethig gets looted, the loottable gets again an randomized timer like it was an initial spawn...

Where did you read that? Most servers will likely restart every three to four hours anyway. In the mod, people would begin to lag pretty badly if the server was up for a very long time without a restart.

That's true. The point of server restarting (when loot respawn works) is not the loot but the server performance - too many things get stored, the Ram gets clustered up and the server gets laggy -> restart.

Loot farming diminishes the effectiveness of a probability system for dynamic loot respawn. Having a loot system with lower spawn chances is not going to stop a guy from camping near a supermarket and getting enough food to survive without having to move anywhere else on the map.

If someone really wants to camp a supermarket for a minimum  of half an hour but probably more (i don't now if there is a limit, maybe 2 hours or 3?) ...well...let him. In that time he could have run anywhere or even hopped 10 servers and hope for untouched loot on one of them. But most people I know playing this game don't want to wait...

One of the huge upsides of the lack of loot respawn in the Standalone and the fact that you can't eat ruined food or use ruined gear has been that you have to be careful when you interact with people. All that effort to create a damage system that will change how people interact begins to be pointless when you simply have to loot farm in order to get working gear and food you can eat without hunting or gathering.

First sentence: Very true. But loot farmers are already reality...server hoppers, "private" servers that restart 50 times per day and kick people (now with lame excuses instead of a servername like join=kick)...so a loot system like written above will be change that to the better....in my opinion^^

And finally: Yes. Less loot on hardcore, and for every missing piece a zed more ;)

This is terrible idea. Right now people don't play the game, the don't explore areas - they simply restart-camping.

1) Go to airport

2) Log off

3) Find a server which just restarted / wait for restart

4) Log in, loot

5) Relog on a server where you usually play

6) Play how do you feel like, while other people who don't camp restarts and play fair will get NOTHING when they will reach airport.

Your suggestions will only motivate hopping and demotivate exploring. This is bad, because exploring = survival game with zombies and hopping = hurrdurr pvp shooter.

The only way I can see this implemented is when server uses "Private Hive". But still it doesn't solve the problem when player joins to play and the only thing he sees are empty towns - no zombies, no enemies, only bandits with top gear waiting for them.

Edited by SonicSonedit

It isn't like loot is going to respawn every 10 minutes. It will be hours and hours between respawns. 

This whole problem is alleviated simply by not making all loot respawn at the same time. Have cities/towns on a staggered respawn, so you never know where shit will be respawning at any given time. If it's on a 2 or 4 hour cycle, it's not going to feel much different from server restarts now with the exception of not getting booted. 

If you want things to be even rarer, have a server option for 6 - 8 - 12- 24 hour respawn schedules.

• Like 1