the_governor

Placing a rifle to your backpack?

Found my very first m4a1, while running around in cherno and balota. There were two guys dead, one was stripped from gear, but the other one had a m4a1. I had just found a mosin, and a big backpack from the barracks. Someone started shooting so I ran away. Still learning to shoot, so I didn't take my chances.

My question is, can you place a m4a1 into your backpack? How many slots would it take? I heard something about a rifle taking 10 slots, but I couldn't place it to my backpack?

Edited by Fuze.

To the best of my knowledge, no. The standalone hasn't implemented it, likely due to it being unrealistic. There's been some talk in the suggestion bin about it, but I wouldn't put money on it coming into the standalone in vanilla.

That being said, in the mod, you can place guns in your pack - 10 slots for a rifle, 5 for a pistol.

• Like 1

Alright. 

I heard something about a new type of backpack, one that can carry an extra rifle.  I think the dews said it on stream, a few days ago.

Can't do that. You can however carry a gun on shoulder - that being said, you are in fact able to carry two primary weapons, sawed shotgun, magnum and fx45, that's total of 5 "long range" weapons!

ie. m4a1 on shoulder and mosin in hands. Of course when doing this, every time you place something in your hands, you are dropping the weapon on ground.

Edited by Teho

To the best of my knowledge, no. The standalone hasn't implemented it, likely due to it being unrealistic. There's been some talk in the suggestion bin about it, but I wouldn't put money on it coming into the standalone in vanilla.

Not so unrealistic if you deconstruct it to parts. I took home an AUG (StG 77) that way to do a bit more fun-related practicing.

Edited by taxi driver

To make it short:

No, you can't.

- Primary rifle (M4, SKS, Mosin, shotgun, Ruger, Blaze) only goes on one shoulder (or in hands).

- Axe only goes on the other shoulder (or in hands).

- FNX45 (2x2 slots), Magnum (2x2 slots) and sawed-off shotgun (1x4 slots) can go into backpack.

Edited by Neinsager

Currently? No. You can only carry 2 rifles/primary weapons when one is in your hands.

Hopefully it will be implemented that we can have weapon backpacks; an m4 is not realistically that large, I can see one fitting inside a mountain backpack.

To make it short:

No, you can't.

- Primary rifle (M4, SKS, Mosin, shotgun, Ruger, Blaze) only goes on one shoulder (or in hands).

- Axe only goes on the other shoulder (or in hands).

- FNX45 (2x2 slots), Magnum (2x2 slots) and sawed-off shotgun (1x4 slots) can go into backpack.

Actually you can put axes in certain backpacks. I've done it before with the firefighters axe. The difference between melee weapons and firearms is that the firearms have a horizontal orientation and the melee have a vertical orientation. If the backpacks were wider, theoretically you could place a firearm into the backpack.

I have an M4 on my back, an FNX45 and a Magnum in my pack. With thirty .45 rounds & about a dozen .357 rounds. Plus a worn fire ax. I feel invincible.

I'm less than 2 weeks old... So my dilemma is I can't decide if I should swap out the M4 (I have something like 120 rounds for it) for a Mosin. Zero .762 rounds atm. A long range weapon would be nice and I can use the 45 for zombies (Oh! for a suppressor) and the mag for hostile humans.

Thoughts on M4 vs Mosin?

Actually you can put axes in certain backpacks. I've done it before with the firefighters axe. The difference between melee weapons and firearms is that the firearms have a horizontal orientation and the melee have a vertical orientation. If the backpacks were wider, theoretically you could place a firearm into the backpack.

Interesting. Never tried that before, for obvious reasons. :) Thanks.

Thoughts on M4 vs Mosin?

You play alone and have no ammo, scope etc. for the Mosin but consider dropping the fully loaded M4 for it?

That's crazy talk. :)

Personally, I'd only use the Mosin if I was the dedicated sniper of a group. When playing alone, I'd definetely pick the SKS over the Mosin because it is more versatile.

Consider this:

Just you and your Mosin are in a nice sniper spot - and then you get ambushed by a bandit.

With the Mosin you can crack off one shot at him which will probably miss at short range. Reloading takes too long, and before you can drop the Mosin and whip out the Magnum, you are dead meat.

With the SKS you have 10 chances of fighting back.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right about the Mosin sucking for close quarter combat and, rather than equip my Magnum (if I had a Mosin), my M4 would work well for close and middle distance firing... but, at the risk of being so wordy that no one will read this post, let me describe why I asked. Also, from the online reading I've done it seems that .762 rounds are fairly rare spawns and I'm buffed out with M4 ammo..

Right now I'm a loner survivor in the game because I haven't made any long-term friends. I'm a good sniper but, alas, I'm not the designated sniper for anyone. So sad. :(  I just like the idea of being geared for all possible situations. I was thinking, let's say, in terms of approaching a place like Electro or any town infested with snipers on my own. I could just leave--that would be the sensible thing to do. And, atm, whenever I do hear someone shooting in my direction (snap!!) I leave the area because I'm still rusty with the counter-intuitive, multiple keyboard commands and dread the fact that I won't be quick or dexterous enough to react in time.* And, yes, I've made the mistake of being attached to my gear so I don't want to die because I forgot to raise my arms. lol

But let's say I'm starving and absolutely have to get into such a town. Unless I can stealth my way and get some cover, I'd have no way to deal with a long range shooter. I'm thinking (with my current avvy) that I have a Magnum for any close range foe (plus my fire-ax and .45 if circumstances arise) and, in theory, having a Mosin would allow me to cover all situations. Of course, this scenario is artificial and is based on one particular case; right now, I favor keeping the M4.

Which raises the question ('cuz I'm such a DayZ noob that I pee green): how is the SKS compared to a M4 for longer ranges? I had one and tossed it when I found the M4 because I understand it's a superior weapon.

* This is where being a long time gamer can have its disadvantages in DayZ--my impulse is to react with an ingrained FPS keyboard command routine.

Having a long-range gun isn't everything. It's basically like in real war situations: You can never cover the whole scenery with your eyes or scope.

If a sniper sits snuggly in some dark window or is hidden in some bushes there is usually nothing you can do except hope he doesn't hit you with his first shot.

And even after that you probably panic and fail to locate him, too.

In real life, an M4 can be slipped into a backpack fairly easily... breaks down into upper and lower pieces. Would be cool if you could do that in the game, but it'd need assembly before use, obviously. Wouldn't take more than five seconds, really.

hey, im from belgium, im 23 years old, i have a mic my steamaccount is hachebe

add me!

If one rifle is on shoulder,and one in hands when logging out

when logged back in,you will notice in the item menu both rifles,yet no rifle in your hands

you can move freely like this,ans sprint fast

Until..... you use your hands for anything!

then the rifle that is in your item menu drops to the ground when you use your hands to do anything

after eating,using the compass or whatever you must then pick that rifle back up off the ground and run with it actually in your hands

My prefered combo,is a .45 and a .357 in tact vest and tac coat

a sawed off shotgun in backpack with M4 on shoulder and I carry my SKS with sometimes using a Mosin instead of the SKS

Usually keeping the scoped rifle on my shoulder can make the decision for me as to which rifle I hang on my shoulder

Sometimes I carry more than one .45 or .357 also if rifles are lacking for whatever reason and pistols are a plenty

can never carry too many gunZ ;)

In the DayZ Mod for Arma II there is a special rifle backpack designed to carry a rifle

just watch Jolley Joe's Youtube movies to see it if you do not have the game

As far as rifles in backpacks in DayZ SA ... I have not been able to insert a rifle into any of the backpacks

I decide myself often for a Mosin+LRS and I take an extra PU scope with me.

On a long range you have a clear advantage, if you are getting flanked and they are getting near - switch to PU scope.

Finally a Magnum and a proper headshot will get the enemy at least uncoscious. 2 Speedloaders, 60 bullets will be enough

Been using two primary weapons before but it can end up deadly for you... in certain situations. You better skip ladders because it will get you sick trying to get your 2nd weapon back. Not knowing when the last restart was can be frustrating ^^ Lost a full pristine M4 with ACOG due to server restart once and another one due to a bad server. The weapon just did not appeared on the ground, even after 20 minutes.

These are the reasons I´m not taking two primary weapons with me anymore. It´s all up to you and your playstyle :)

you can´t do that, you can only put pistols and sawed off shotguns in your backpack.