Sign in to follow this  
Solopopo

Why Day Z is "Fundamentally Flawed"

After seeing the news about the head guy leaving, and saying things like starting his own studio and how he thinks dayz wont live up to what he hoped it would be and saying how dayz is bohemias...

Kinda feel a little shafted, reminds of similar cases one with the original creative director of assassins creed (he left after ac 2) who left and i believe started his own or helped found a different studio, what was funny is ubisoft bought them out. And the more well known instance; respawn (titanfall). Who left and made their own after conflicts with activision.

Sounds to me like dayz/dean hall is another of those cases or at least similar, from what i interpreted the creator of dayz had a vision, people with money saw that vision could make more money, limited the vision, now we have the head guy plan far in advance his leave.

Now i could be stretching it but it felt like how dean said "dayz is bohemias, not mine" seemed kinda like a nudge that it was his baby anymore? Plus he has gotten fairly wealthy from dayz i assume so i get why "going back home" is a reasonable choice but why start up a whole new studio if not to complete the vision you started with.

I guess a year or 2 from now if the new studio is formed and it announces production on a game similar to dayz, that will be a probable answer.

P.S if im wrong about the quote with dean saying dayz is bohemias and not his let me know cause i was just reading around not entirely sure but the general idea i have in the post stays the same

Edited by Slyguy65
  • Like 1

Dean isnt just running off he is staying on for at least until next year and then longer if needed. But I mean the man has been away from home for a good 3-4 years. Dean feels like he is going to hinder the vision of Dayz later and has openly admited that he isnt a easy person to work with.

The flaw is the playerbase. I don't think Mr. Hall envisioned douchebags and asshats running around playing this like it's Call of Duty.

Yup.

The player base is the typical douche bag internet gamer who just enjoys KOS behavior.  He's looking back at it and going, 'damn, I guess if I had bothered to play with anyone from the internet instead of sticking to closed private servers I'd have seen this coming.'

So, enable PVE only servers then.  Easy fix.

Do we really need another thread covering the same topic again ... You could have just added to the ones we already had....

The flaw is the playerbase. I don't think Mr. Hall envisioned douchebags and asshats running around playing this like it's Call of Duty.

Yup.

The player base is the typical douche bag internet gamer who just enjoys KOS behavior.  He's looking back at it and going, 'damn, I guess if I had bothered to play with anyone from the internet instead of sticking to closed private servers I'd have seen this coming.'

The flaw is not the player base. That's an absurd notion. Day Z is worth millions of dollars. There are bigger issues motivating a lead developer's departure than people whining about KoS. He claims the game was fundamentally flawed from the beginning. The fan base was not fundamentally flawed from the beginning; they are the reason people are even bothered by KoS at all. Day Z is more of an idea than a game in it's current state; an idea that's not kept together by Bohemias clunky engine, but the game's fans, and Dean. Soon enough it will be only the fans.The fanbase IS Day Z, especially when you consider that the game is in a transitional period between an immensely popular mod and a less popular stand alone. 

Edited by Solopopo

snip

P.S if im wrong about the quote with dean saying dayz is bohemias and not his let me know cause i was just reading around not entirely sure but the general idea i have in the post stays the same

merging

Yup.

Has nothing to do with pve servers but everything to do with handing out weapons like candy.  Yes, this is an Alpha test and we've been testing weapons for two months now.  Time to tone it down a notch and add a little bit more survival into the test.

Dayz is flawed because right from the beginning it had zombies instead of focusing on just survival and player interaction it now has to waste resources and time on having zombies.

These gimmicky zombies add nothing at all to the game in any stage of the game, even in the mod they served only to annoy the player and alert bandits that there was a player in a town.

In stand alone all they do is hinder performance and restrict player count.

haha..

miss the ENTIRE point much ???

do everyone a favor go play CoD..

hahaahh

• Like 1

^^^^ EXACTLY^^^

i'd bet the farm thats the single biggest issue on why Dean is walking away from Dayz...

haha..

miss the ENTIRE point much ???

do everyone a favor go play CoD..

hahaahh

^^^^ EXACTLY^^^

i'd bet the farm thats the single biggest issue on why Dean is walking away from Dayz...

Careful, your spite is showing. 

^^^^ EXACTLY^^^

The biggest?  Maybe but seeing the behavior of the playerbase I have no doubt in my mind, disgusts him.  Except, how would he not have known when the only thing that was released with the Alpha was GUNS GUNS GUNS!!!???

• Like 1

in hindsight i'd say the SA alpha would have peaked later than this if we didn't see ranged weapons until they were ready.

way more close encounters and talking to each other during gameplay interaction.

Good for you.  Just stop nitpicking at other people who want to see something else besides Call of DayZ because I hate to break it to you, this is not a mil sim nor was ever going to be.

It's whatever you and everyone else wants it to be.

DayZ not a military simulator, that's a good joke, the entire ARMA II engine is identical/similar to the engine BIS gives to the US military for training on. 

Everything about DayZ is military simulator like and the game has not added nearly enough to take away from that, maybe they will but I doubt it.

DayZ not a military simulator, that's a good joke, the entire ARMA II engine is identical/similar to the engine BIS gives to the US military for training on. 

Everything about DayZ is military simulator like and the game has not added nearly enough to take away from that, maybe they will but I doubt it.

jiFfM.jpg

• Like 3

Look, believe it or not, some people ENJOY PvE.

I don't get you PvE guys. There is no challenge to surviving the environment.

• Like 1

what he means by pve is "everyone running around waving talking and sharing beans and guns happy happy joy joy"

• Like 1

There is a challenge in building a real fire or butchering an animal or tying knots, etc but the problem is, there's no skill involved when you try to do it in game. It's just click and wait. Whereas if you wanted to shoot, you actually have to aim and make your shots count.

Edited by Benjamin

Do you not follow the dev tracker?  Do you even know what this game is about?  You are aware it's not just an FPS, right?

There is a challenge in building a real fire or butchering an animal or tying knots

RoyReid.ca-Escalated-Quickly-13061119.gi

There is a challenge in building a real fire or butchering an animal or tying knots, etc but the problem is, there's no skill involved when you try to do it in game. It's just click and wait. Whereas if you wanted to shoot, you actually have to aim and make your shots count.

Do you not know how to think outside the box?  Ya sure, there isn't much of a challenge in shooting an animal to gut it and prepare it for cooking, as long as you have all the tools.  Oh, what's that?  You have no ammo?  What?  You wasted on KoS'ing?  Oh that's too bad.  What's that you say?  You're hungry and have no food? Boy, bet you wish you weren't playing CoDZ and actually tried surviving.

Edited by Caboose187

Do you not know how to think outside the box?  Ya sure, there isn't much of a challenge in shooting an animal to gut it and prepare it for cooking, as long as you have all the tools.  Oh, what's that?  You have no ammo?  What?  You wasted on KoS'ing?  Oh that's too bad.  What's that you say?  You're hungry and have no food? Boy, bet you wish you weren't playing CoDZ and actually tried surviving.

Kill someone and you get all his gear. That's also called surviving. People don't kill for points. They just want your can of beans.

The survival aspect sets up the pvp. If it rains, you can't just hide outside in the woods. You have to go find shelter...but someone may be there ready to shoot you. You need stuff so you look for loot. But someone may be there to shoot you.

Edited by Benjamin

So what you guys are saying is that you want a game where the only thing you have to do is to survive? No shooting each other, just survival in a very realistic way, with tying knots, butchering the meat you hunted, building fires, all in a realistic manner in the game? Maybe they should implement some of the Surgeon Simulator hand control technology in the game to help with that. It sure would make surviving by itself, a bit more challenging, if you had to pick a bullet and put it inside the chamber without dropping it.

Now tell me, how exactly would that work... As in, you know, the game doesn't have an actual goal other than surviving. Now the way you accomplish that, what strategy you choose to be able to survive, that is up to you

And some people will choose the strategy of killing other people as soon as they see them. "Turning the game into Call of Duty Z". 

Tell me how to prevent that without limiting the game's freedom? By having a community "without douches"?

You guys should go play Call of Duty instead of DayZ. It seems like it's more important in your mind to avoid being like "COD" than anything else, so any situation where people pointlessly shooting each other, is being like "COD".

So go play COD. It will be a therapeutical experience, you will be able to grow as a person and be able to play games without thinking about Call of Duty all the time.