StewieD

Is DayZ for me?

Hey guys,

I'm new here, first post. I don't "yet" own DayZ. It both interests me and doesn't. I wanted to tell you a little about myself and ask you if you think this game is for me and also answer some of my other questions.

I've been looking through this forum for a while now, watching several youtube videos, spoken to friends and spent a fair bit of time watching livestreems on twitch.

I'll get the big point out of the way with. I am not a zombie fan. That goes for games, films, tv shows etc. I just don't get the buzz with them, they really don't interest me. That being said, I love a good game, and I play and own a lot of games with zombies in them, they just aren't generally the main feature. However I recently bought 7 Days To Die, and I love it. I haven't clocked many hours on it yet (kinda waiting for them to sort a few bugs and get multiplayer hosting working) but from what I've played I love. I won't go into detail on it because this isn't the place but among the many many zombie games out there, that one personally stands out for me (for obvious reasons if u own or know about it). So I will enjoy a zombie game IF it has something that makes it stand out.

From what I've seen, the visual world in the game looks STUNNING! That's one thing that really does grab my attention. But (without sounding mean) there really doesn't seem like there's much to do other than run around and kill zombies and other players .. Which to be completely honest, sounds like I'd get bored pretty quick.

I know it's Alpha, I understand what Alpha means, I play a couple of the other popular ones at the moment too. I read somewhere that it won't reach beta until the end of the year, so I assume that means there's some pretty big features on the way? I haven't found much info on future plans so if anyone can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it.

A lot of friends have also said that the game engine is pretty poor at the moment. Anyone have any other opinions on this? Or know if it's subject to change or be improved?

A part of me really really wants this .. But a part of just thinks I'll get bored. None of my friends who own it have clocked very many hours on it yet. But it's obviously very very popular. So there's definitely something I don't see in it that others do. I guess the best question is..

What makes this game so great for you?

Stewie

I am not a zombie fan.

Then no.

Whilst there are aspects to DayZ that aren't zombie-centered, it still wouldn't make sense to drop money on a game that's core focus is on something you do not like.

Not only are there better alternative ArmA mods for someone who isn't an avid zombie horror fan, but overall simply other games with a similar concept but not based in a zombie apocalypse.

Personal opinion.

Nonetheless, I welcome you to our forums.

Edited by Rage VG

Thanks for an honest response :)

It's definitely not a show stopper, or I wouldn't otherwise be here. But if the entire aim of the game is to kill zombies and there's literally nothing else to it. Then yeah it won't interest me.

Thanks again for your reply :)

I relate in the dislike of zombie based games, this is the ONLY one I have ever considered playing. At the moment it's hardly about zombies atall and they arn't very dominating but that may well change.

I like DayZ for the amount of freedom, player interaction (or not if i wish) and the sense of survival. It depends on whether you are easily bored and what you consider boring. Yes you can run for a while before you get somewhere but if you like exploring and learning maps, .. you'll like it ^_^

I personally think the map is huge and as far as I'm aware, will be expanding, regarding everything else, I don't know.

- I also get a lot of lols due to it being Alpha.

Edited by Kestrol

From what you've written, it might not be the game for you, especially right now.

What makes it fun for me: The huge, open world. The look and feel. Surviving ... though this is less interesting now, since there are a lot of missing mechanics (e.g.: hunting, cooking food, camping). Most importantly: player interaction. It could be a firefight with no words spoken, meeting friendlies and trading, treachery, or having some friends on and tactically approaching hot spots looking for action. The player interaction is by far the most fun for me, specifically team work.

• Like 1

Thanks for an honest response :)

It's definitely not a show stopper, or I wouldn't otherwise be here. But if the entire aim of the game is to kill zombies and there's literally nothing else to it. Then yeah it won't interest me.

Thanks again for your reply :)

The aim of the game is PvP.  The graphics are excellent, and it feels more "real" than any other game I've played.  But it gets old at looking the scenery. 

So the main concept is to fight other players.  It's great for that, but you'll want a team. 

Edited by Vicco

Thanks Kestrol :)

To be honest just the sheer look of the game and size of the map is enough to make me want it. I love exploring worlds especially if they're huge, visually very pleasing and it's easy to get lost and find new places. But that can only keep someone interested for so long.

What I love about 7DTD is that it's less about randomly killing zombies and more about simply surviving the night. If you spend all day killing zombies then ur screwed when the night comes. U gotta spend the day gathering resources and crafting/building/repairing a shelter. That alone turns a standard zombie killer game into something much much more exciting.

So if the entire aim is just to kill zombies and there's no future plans to expand on that then once I've explored the map I can honestly see myself getting very bored.

Edited by StewieD

I dont agree that this game is all about pvp.

It is for some, and I do respect that.

But the core for DayZ was the great number of choices you had.

Which includes pvp, surviving, zombie killing, crafting, base building, exploring, loot etc.

If I were you, Id wait 10+ months. Until it hits Beta.

The game will be so much more by then, and will suit alot more players! No matter what branch you choose to play it along.

Ive played so many hours of DayZ mod, several hundreds, but only 80+ hours SA. Simply because the game isnt about pvp for me.

And as the game looks right now, theres only 2 things to do.

1. Survive, and get your equipment.

2. Die. In some way, usually in PvP.

You a fan of Dark Souls or the Fallout series?

Not saying they're like DayZ but there are similar underlying emotions. Panic, terror, elation, frustration etc.

Never played Dark Souls but LOVE Fallout .. Though a large part of that is the story and the creativity behind the characters and locations. Something I'm not sure if DayZ has or will have (I'm talking about the story and character more than locations). Edited by StewieD

What does DayZ currently have (or have planned) in the way of crafting and base building?

is it still $15?

then why the fuuk not

the DayZ experience should be felt by all.

maybe start with the mod and arma free or something?

Other than Hutch, thanks everyone for being so friendly, helpful and honest :)

I'm pretty sure I will get DayZ, but I might give it another couple of months or so to see where it goes.

I would recomend you buy it. Its takes gaming to the next level.

Its beauty is in the world you play in, the other players in it. Zombies are rubbish and after a short time they are annoyances (which is a shame as I got it for the zombies)

Buy it and enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

I quote Rocket, from http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/153994-early-access-important-information-known-issues/

"Do not buy the game yet!" - Rocket

If you have to ask, it's probably not for you.

Watch some youtube videos and decide if it looks fun.

If you don't immediately think it's the most awesome game ever, Then maybe you ought not buy it yet.

On the other hand, 1.5 MILLION have bought it already and it's not even feature complete yet.

Edited by Hutch

Thanks for giving a better reply Hutch :)

The same was said about rust and I love it, have well over 200 hours on it. That's just an Alpha thing, if you buy it, you have to accept the fact that it's not finished.

In all honestly, by looking at it. No I don't think it's the most awesome game ever. From what I can work out, all there is to do is kill zombies and other players. And a lot of people have a lot of issues with the engine. But that doesn't mean it can't be the most awesome game ever. I made this thread to ask if there was more to it that what I first thought and what other features and changes might be coming to the game in the future.

To be honest I will probably buy it anyway .. But with what I know, I honestly can't see myself clocking over 200 hours in it's current state without getting bored.

Thanks again for the reply.

Edited by StewieD

Rust is more complete than DayZ, and judging from the DayZ mod in Arma 2, DayZ should surpass what Rust can do in the future. So I recommend you come back when the game is completed.

By looking through your post, I thought The Walking Dead, Season 1(the game) would be a good recommendation, if you haven't tried it yet.

Costs about as much as Dayz, and is hell of alot more worth your money than Dayz at this moment. It will give you a quite good picture of what DayZ is striving to be.

Rust is more complete than DayZ

Seriously!?

Rust still uses base models for most things, doesn't have a official map and hasn't decided on the main theme of the game. They're saying it's no more than 10% complete. It's very much still in the idea phase.

I thought DayZ was a lot further than Rust to be honest. It must mean there's a hell of a lot more features still to come before completion. Though no matter where I look I can't seem to find any information on future plans "/ Has anything been announced?

Seriously!?

Rust still uses base models for most things, doesn't have a official map and hasn't decided on the main theme of the game. They're saying it's no more than 10% complete. It's very much still in the idea phase.

I thought DayZ was a lot further than Rust to be honest. It must mean there's a hell of a lot more features still to come before completion. Though no matter where I look I can't seem to find any information on future plans "/ Has anything been announced?

DayZ is what it is. PvP. Doesn't mean you can't "be friendly" and see how that goes.

Rest assured, others will engage in PvP.

The is NO base building. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't. Zombies are NO threat.

Maybe they will be, maybe not. The map can explored in a couple weeks.

Its the same map as the mod. They are new buildings to explore.

It is what it is, and you can see it on Youtube.

Thanks Vicco,

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought about it to be honest. But as I was only viewing it through youtube or twitch I was wondering if there was more to it. To be honest I was kinda hoping someone would tell me there was :p

I'm sure I will get it it in the future. But I think for now there's little point. I might as well hang on a bit.

Thanks

I know this is off topic, but whoever mentioned that Rust is more complete, dont listen to them, its blahhhh.

It hasnt had a good update since it came out.

Its full of hackers.

The optimization has made the game run worse.

Instead of zombies you get bullshit red wolves and bears.

KoS is 1000x worse.

Garry's forums are overall full of douches and wont let anything bad about the game allowed to be posted.

Its just soooo, the same... the experience is overall boring after you have learned the basics.

DayZ, even with Dean leaving, will always be better.

Yes thats my opinion but Rust in no way is "more complete"

• Like 1

in dayz, zombies are not really much of a part of the game at the moment as they are very few so its more of a survive and avoid or attack players. but you get a adrenalin rush like no other when your in a city and you hear a gunshot, and a much bigger one when you hear the bullet richote off the ground right beside you. imo its worth getting in pre alpha its still a ton of fun