Sign in to follow this  
froggan

The nature of public hives effectively destroy the challenge of surviving.

I can't believe the dev team chose to go the route of public hives. 

They didn't. The current system is only for testing, there will be private hives after release (in 2015). 

Rocket and co. have clearly stated that there will be private hives and even plans to add mod support. I don't understand what all the whining is about.

They didn't. The current system is only for testing, there will be private hives after release (in 2015). 

Ok, then I must have missed this information. The articles I have read about renting servers and the like, which I find by googling "DayZ Standalone will private hives be implemented" and similar queries, all state that private hives are not available. I haven't found this resource where Rocket states that private hives will be available. If anything just people stating they have read this somewhere. The devblog doesn't state it anywhere, which I guess would be the best resource for this kind of announcement. No?

Could you please give me the source of that information? (first-hand from Rocket or BI preferably)

-edit

Do you guys mean this announcement? Running on its own database = private hive in the sense that your character is "locked" to one server and cant jump from it and then back? Is that what he means?

"Server Management Options

Target Delivery: Ongoing

Additional options for those hosting servers will be rolled out as soon as we can. We want to encourage a "hardcore" mode that will operate on a separate database, featuring things like first person only, no hide body, etc... In addition, we also want to provide passworded servers that will operate on their own shard of the database. This shard could be grouped, so that a group of passworded servers could operate on their own database. Eventually, we would like to see these different communities on their own db running their own variations of DayZ to meet specific communities needs."

Edited by froggan

Ok, then I must have missed this information. The articles I have read about renting servers and the like, which I find by googling "DayZ Standalone will private hives be implemented" and similar queries, all state that private hives are not available. I haven't found this resource where Rocket states that private hives will be available. If anything just people stating they have read this somewhere. The devblog doesn't state it anywhere, which I guess would be the best resource for this kind of announcement. No?

Could you please give me the source of that information? (first-hand from Rocket or BI preferably)

-edit

Do you guys mean this announcement? Running on its own database = private hive in the sense that your character is "locked" to one server and cant jump from it and then back? Is that what he means?

"Server Management Options

Target Delivery: Ongoing

Additional options for those hosting servers will be rolled out as soon as we can. We want to encourage a "hardcore" mode that will operate on a separate database, featuring things like first person only, no hide body, etc... In addition, we also want to provide passworded servers that will operate on their own shard of the database. This shard could be grouped, so that a group of passworded servers could operate on their own database. Eventually, we would like to see these different communities on their own db running their own variations of DayZ to meet specific communities needs."

we are testing on public test servers for testing. There would be too much to go wrong with private servers and using resources to fix those would be pointless.

I want a private hive server but DO NOT EXPECT ONE ANYTIME SOON...

We are still testing i wouldnt expect private hives to come in before mid to late beta at best and more likely only after full release.

• Like 1

we are testing on public test servers for testing. There would be too much to go wrong with private servers and using resources to fix those would be pointless.

Ok, I understand that point now.

I am just afraid, in the absence of a clear cut announcement of how the server systems will look like in the future, that it will be just like the server hopping hell of WarZ and the current state of SA alpha. Hence my question on the clarification of "Eventually, we would like to see these different communities on their own db running their own variations of DayZ". Does this mean, if we choose to play on a server with its own database, that our characters will be "locked" to that particular server? God, I hope so! :)

Edited by froggan

They (and also you) must have learnt by now that this "feature" is just dumb and not great at all. Everything else about a survival game in this genre is great, but not that "feature". You make it sound like this "feature" is the core of this type of game. Wake up, it actually only brings down the experience.

It was a core feature in the beginning of DayZ. Permadeath...one hive for all...that was the specialty of this particular game. That feature is not dumb. There are issues to be solved with it. It is an early alpha, as you acknowledge every time starting up DayZ SA. There will be private hives in the future. If that's your preferred way of playing, just hold out and be fine.

The only place I have encountered public hives was in WarZ, and see what happened to that?

I never touched that mockery of a game because it was quite obvious that it was a scam. So if you try to argue about something I suggest you don't mention you've been falling for that. Undermines the value of your opinion heavily.

The reason we went from DayZero to Origins, is that we weren't satisfied with the endgame in DayZero, and also what I guess was the same in Vanilla.

There was never supposed to be an end game in DayZ. Rockets idea was about having you fight out of a desperate situation. If your situation isn't desperate anymore you sort of beat the game. You should kill your character and start again.

In a way he is right, until something is fixed or used as it is supposed to and not abused it is simply "broken"...

I don't see it that way. It is not broken. It is merely unfinished. As the whole game in it's present state. You know, it's alfer...

Yeah, Public Hive is sort of terrible. Unless they do something like make better loot spawn on high pop servers there is no incentive to gear up on servers that have any population. As it is now, if you're not gearing up on a server with 2 or 3 people and only jumping to a full server when you've got a full kit then you're severely handicapping yourself combat wise. With private hives, all the gear you have must be found on the server it is to be used on. It really is a no brainer which system makes for better gameplay.

Private hives are nice but only if the admin isn't a douche and modifies it to easy mode, kicks because their buddies get killed or gives themselves and friends the advantage by giving them items.

You make it look as if it was common practice to do so and not the exception...i'm quite offended as an admin and ex moderator because my old group from Sahrani Life had to deal with such a group of asshole players who always accused us of abusing our power although they were the ones who KoSed on the server and broke almost every rule and we always brought clear evidence.

Edited by Enforcer

Join another server? You start fresh with a new character.

i dont think you understand the reasons behind the public hives. DayZ SA is not Arma Mod Dayz. The main difference is fundamental and that is the number of players this SA will see once fully completed. This difference is crucial and its easy to see why public hives are selected. Imagine the thousands of players (not hundreds) wanting to play - they have to hope the server will have a free slot! It makes things impossible. It means having dozens of toons of all different servers. The public hive make much more sense. The second argument I would bring is your main reason for not liking public hive: the server hooping for loot. Ill remind you that even with a private hive system a similar hooping for loop can be achieved each time the server restarts. To counteract you would need to have the server locked on full 24h rotation or even a fix set time for loot respawn. All of this really would not work with the amount of players Dayz SA will attract. 

Finally I would say that I am confused as to the title of your thread "pub hives destroy surviving aspect" - For who? Not for you im sure since you dont server hoop? So what is the issue here?

I am also thinking about some of the content Rocket and his team have stated that they plan to add. What about player crafted and built structures? With the current public system, are said structures going to exist on any server you join, or only on the server you built it on? If the latter is the case, then even with a public hive system, the problems of servers going down permanently is still apparent! The only thing is that the immersion would suffer even more since it would be weird if you had, say for example, an underground base at one specific spot on one server, but when you played the same character on a different server the underground bunker wouldn't be there.. Rocket! I am not feeling immersed!! Wasn't that one of the most important things for you, while you developed this?

I am not talking about the current state of the game as it is in alpha, I am just curious to how the SA team plans to go forward with the discernable problems their architecture faces in mind.

there is no logic in having public hive bases or characters. they have to be locked to a specific server. imagine the inevitable problems with perhaps 40 players with all there own bases at the same location, connect to the same server at the same time.

there is no logic in having public hive bases or characters. they have to be locked to a specific server. imagine the inevitable problems with perhaps 40 players with all there own bases at the same location, connect to the same server at the same time.

And how is that different from bases on servers? You cant build 2 bases at the same spot on a private hive server, right? Well the same can apply to a public hive, However I cant see that happening like this, you are correct, there would be just too many houses/bases built all around. Dean mentioned barricading which Im sure will work just like containers and be server based.

My least favorite thing about public servers is the complete loss of community.  While i hate custom private servers, if admins powers were severely limited, i could see private hives as a better solution. I often dream of servers where everyone knows your name(cheers) , there are known groups that claim areas, or just community in general.  I think it would be great to plan a trip to northwest airfield and have to factor in maybe an established clan might like to hang around vybor and because ive picked this up after playing on the server awhile i can adjust my habits, kinda like you would in real life as you become more familiar with a place and the people around it.

I want this, but maybe when the game is at full release.

Everything in the game is bullshit right now in my opinion because its so early in development. It sucks that admins can be pricks but that will never end. All we can hope for is bug fixes and features for a long while, and I'm content with that so long as they happen regularly and without hassle.

That is one risk but it's small compared to the unfairness the current system presents us atm. The private server system presents more advantages than the public hive like combat logging and ghosting not possible, sure a player can still log during a fight but because that player is bound to the server with his character you can easly investigate that person and warn him/her not to do that again, no hopper can jump into the same building as you of course a player who logged out in a building before can suddenly appear but that is less likely to happen because a player playing on one server is better off logging out in a safe place. The private servers have to be run by either a provider or a community ( which is more likely ) and kept running with donations, that's the only obstacle in this matter. Then you can let all the public hive player whine about not beeing able to find loot because of the hoppers because you on the other hand have a closed environment. And you can set rules that are ignored my the majority because it's YOLO it's a game stfu n00b when you remind them of unwritten rules of gaming. And you can make every player join one voice program ( with something like ACRE ) if he wants to play making the telephatic planning impossible.

What private servers do is divide up the community. I've also never EVER seen any private server in a game like this where the admins were not complete asshats who just banned, kicked, gave advantages to or somehow just made shit completely unfair. Currently, the only thing an admin can kick you for is being racist or incredibly foul mouthed, but they can lose their server if they start kicking people to loot farm or if you kill them and they get booty bamboozled.

I do not look forward to private hives simply because I feel that people are going to fall into little cliches, and the only people left on the public servers are going to be aimless lunatics.

• Like 1

My least favorite thing about public servers is the complete loss of community.  While i hate custom private servers, if admins powers were severely limited, i could see private hives as a better solution. I often dream of servers where everyone knows your name(cheers) , there are known groups that claim areas, or just community in general.  I think it would be great to plan a trip to northwest airfield and have to factor in maybe an established clan might like to hang around vybor and because ive picked this up after playing on the server awhile i can adjust my habits, kinda like you would in real life as you become more familiar with a place and the people around it.

You already get that in public servers owned by clans.

I think if you knew everyone on a server, the whole X factor on not knowing what's going to happen when you walk into a city will be destroyed. I mean, if that's not what you like, we really can't argue too effectively against my opinion > your opinion, or vice versa, but private servers will be up at some point. I just hope it doesn't do what I'm fearing it will.

Again its important to stress that Dayz SA will have a player count far superior to Dayz Mod. This will mean more clans yes but also more lone wolves - The public Hive reflect this, and anyway Dean already confirmed private hive are coming so ...

Edited by zeroy99

They must have grossed $40m plus.

as it sits now according to the site it sits around 45 m.  that does not factor the higher priced package. 

also to the topic...

I prefer private hives.. you get to know the other players and can sometimes work out trades and other things with them..where on public hives you would not usually.

Edited by excitable1

Alpha = public hive (too many reasons to list why)

Beta and beyond = private hives

..All you have to do is look at the history of BIS games to know this will happen. Im also sure mods will be allowed too at some point.

private hives are needed for alot of what you people expect to get out of this game.

yolo bandits ruining your group event?

private that shit.

So you'd want all your investment to be tied up to one server, and when it's down, you're starting fresh? You don't want a persistent character?

Okay bro. Have fun.

Believe it or not its actually a great way to play, I played a ton of hours on white-listed private hive servers for dayz mod and I can honestly say that the lack of hoppers plus the more cohesive community made for a very compelling experience.

You already get that in public servers owned by clans.

I think if you knew everyone on a server, the whole X factor on not knowing what's going to happen when you walk into a city will be destroyed. I mean, if that's not what you like, we really can't argue too effectively against my opinion > your opinion, or vice versa, but private servers will be up at some point. I just hope it doesn't do what I'm fearing it 

I love the x-factor, i just think it would be fun to develop knowledge of the world you play in like you would in reality. I dont expect to know everything, i would just like the sense of slowly growing familiar with people, locations, habits, etc. of course none of it is set in stone. Maybe you ran into a friendly in polana and got seperated by a restart? i would just like to think maybe, one day, i can find him around here again( like u might in real life) instead of the actual odds of finding someone on 1 out of 100,000 servers again.

Clan servers dont have a regular community except for the clan. I think there is very little community at all IN Game right now. How many times do you see the same players regularly as servers are now? I wont be angry with public servers, i just think public servers add a little immersion breaking to the world.(not to mention combat logging, ghosting, server hopping)

I guess in all reality i might just miss the old MUSTY servers.(minus the added in stuff)

Edited by Chucknorris405

And how is that different from bases on servers? You cant build 2 bases at the same spot on a private hive server, right? Well the same can apply to a public hive, However I cant see that happening like this, you are correct, there would be just too many houses/bases built all around. Dean mentioned barricading which Im sure will work just like containers and be server based.

So 9999 servers out of 10000 should block a certain area because a player already built there? That's like telling them exactly where to look even if they have to hop 9999 times until they find it. How should that information be broadcasted anyway? Bases will be staying on the server they were built on, would be stupid if they "went away" with the player and just in case another player also built at the same place the one who connects glithces his base into the other ones...

What private servers do is divide up the community. I've also never EVER seen any private server in a game like this where the admins were not complete asshats who just banned, kicked, gave advantages to or somehow just made shit completely unfair. Currently, the only thing an admin can kick you for is being racist or incredibly foul mouthed, but they can lose their server if they start kicking people to loot farm or if you kill them and they get booty bamboozled.

I do not look forward to private hives simply because I feel that people are going to fall into little cliches, and the only people left on the public servers are going to be aimless lunatics.

I have the opposite opinion. As long as the players don't feel the need to stay on one server because they always hop all the time they are playing on their own. A community ( that's what they call a bunch of players, yes? ) is a group that more or less populate a server and form something like the population of Chernarus. Those players who call a server their home are the ones who are more likely to cooperate and would form a less aggressive environment unlike the KoSing server hopping bunch who just play for loot, kills or the lolz. And this environment would be less prone to hacking, cheating or other exploits.

• Like 1