MarchmelloMan

Concretely: what differs the pro from the noob?

a noob would also try find gear that looks cool, note that all gear you find will protect you against bullets, some more than others, eg a bike helmet looks bad but protects more than a beret, if a player wears a beret it's because they are either cocky enough that they wont get shot, or that they want to look as thin as possible when prone, that is a pro sense, a pro sense isn't just wearing a beret for the look, that is a noob sense

I have to disagree on this one. Thats more about personal playstyle if you ask me. I know lots of veteran players that still do care about the appearance of their characters. Never judge someones expierience and intentions by their clothing.. never ever!

Edited by Agrefits

always pick up the containers and boxes if you find them, they take up 4 slots but carry 6, i currently have 4 of them which gives me an extra 8 inventory slots to use :)

If you do this, anyone with a low internet connection will desync immediately. Tested with my friend, when he put more than 2 boxes loaded up in his bags the game stopped responding for me. On his screen I still function normally (move around/gun up/down/away) but on my screen nothing happens, I can run around but that's it.

Amount of times I've died in gunfights from people full of boxes making me desync is off the scale now :(

Noobs fire indiscriminately or explicitly trust everyone they meet, with no middle ground. The pro follows the SLAT program when he sees another player:

Stop: Crouch, go prone, whatever you can to hide while letting you keep a safe eye on the other player

Look: What kind of backpack and weapons do they have? That should determine how dangerous they are. If they have a military chest rig, assume they are a bandit or otherwise skilled/lucky enough to be a threat. See if he has any friends with him.

Attack: If the other player has more than a melee weapon and cannot be approached from behind + is well geared, assume the worst. If he has friends, assume he is using CheatSpeak and is a bandit.

T-BAG: Because no acronym is complete without t-bagging.

And so finishes the guide to been a troll by Applejaxc.

If you meet someone, try to make contact first, communicate, use your mic (capslock key)., Not everyone is hostile and contratry to popular belief and comments here there are friendly players and trying to change that Troll-Bandit mentality that most of the children playing Day Z carry.

I have to disagree on this one. Thats more about personal playstyle if you ask me. I know lots of veteran players that still do care about the appearance of their characters. Never judge someones expierience and intentions by their clothing.. never ever!

I for one do care about how i look.

You will never see me dressed in full mil gear with mask and ballistic helmet

You play, and you read, and you learn.  Lots of people on the forums are just sitting at work trolling all day.  That is the joy of the interwebs these days.  

It's best to find some friends to play with.  To find some in game you have to take risks.  Its harder to not play a bandit / KOS style so know that you will die more often.  Just because someone is a fresh spawn doesn't mean they are a noob, newbie, or rookie.  90% of the time that is just another Bandit who got killed a few minutes ago.  They will want to get their kit back or re-kit so they can join back up with their buddies and play on and that means the potential can of beans in your pants pocket is fair game.  So don't turn your back on anyone. 

Likewise, just because you see a survivor who has good equipment doesn't make them a bandit or coast camper.  I read a lot of people saying, "if he has an assualt vest, its safe to assume he is a bandit."  or "if if you spot a player who is prone with a scoped mosin its a safe bet they are KOS sniping."  None of that is true.  Every player out there wants to get good gear and find cool clothes.  That is part of the fun of the game.  Everyone has their own preferences.  The only universally accepted piece of kit that screams, "I am a bandit" is the payday masks.  BUT even then some folks like those ugly things.  And that sniper you spotted might be up to no good, but he might also be up to some good.  Maybe he is watching and looking for bandits, coast campers, or KOS players to shoot.  Does that make him any less of a potential threat to you?  Not at all.  

The point being the only way you will know for sure is to hide and watch yourself.  LOOK and see what is going on.  LISTEN for voice chatter, gunfire, etc.  Witness their behavior and then decide to make contact or ghost out of town and move on.      

And so finishes the guide to been a troll by Applejaxc.

It wasn't a troll. That was legitimate advice, including the T-Bag; only a pro (or someone that is incredibly lucky) can spare the time to T-BAG the dead and not be shot while doing so.

There's not much difference, but I can always tell if a village has been looted by a noob or by an experienced player. I've learned exactly which houses spawn loot now, and in which spots, so by looking at which doors are opened, I know how experienced the looter was.

Take the beige house with the porch on the side, for example. The only two loot spawns that work right now, are both on the porch. So if only the porch door is opened, it was a player who knew this. If all the doors are open, it was a noob. 

Well, I would put it very simple in 2 words, situational awareness,

What i mean with that is; before you head into a place, scout it out from a safe spot; are there doors opened, are there zombies, where can i find cover, how can i get away from the place.

this also greatly helps with approaching players, seeing them, talking to them before they see you, and just telling them to stop moving and get to the floor.. affirmative action.

it also helps to have a sniper nearby, just to spot approaching players before they see you, so you can prepare and take control in a situation, rather then having to decide in a panic what to do.

A few examples of last night, me and some friends headed to Berezino, looking for some interaction with players, on a hill we scouted all the buildings, and found that most doors were closed, but some were open. We moved in, took positions around the opened doors, we were not sure how many there were, and where so we kept radio silence until we knew more. Not long after 2 players ran outside, they did not reply, so we opened fire, rather then being flanked after "giving away" our location. one kill, and at this point it was 3 vs 1, and the other player probably ran away, all is well, we were not out to kill people.

A bit later, we saw 2 military geared players with m4's on the roof of the build-site, since that is a place where a lot of bambi's go to right after spawning, we opened fire from afar, a few shots hit, no confirmed kills but those 2 took cover... at that point 2 of us moved in, the sniper was still spotting. After confirming the players really had left, we moved back out, I was suffering from so lag so we halted in a barn not far from that build-site.

After a  minute or so, our sniper told us a bambi was on the 2nd floor of the build site, our sniper saw no backpack + no gun/axe on his back, good thing we scared those geared players.  Since I had an extra canteen and beans we approached the bambi, letting him know we knew he was there, and that we had no intention of hurting him. After meeting with the unarmed bambi, our sniper informed us of another unarmed bambi approaching, we had time to take some defensive positions, but bambi 1 confirmed it was his friend, and we greeted him. After telling them about the geared players that were there shortly before, I dropped some beans and a canteen, and told the bambi's to stay up there until i told them to come down, I left them a fire-axe at the bottom of the stairs. I have armed players before witch ended up on them using said weapon on me, that is why I used this tactic to arm the bambi's without getting close to said weapons in their hands.

funny fact, the bambi's liked our gear so much, they insisted on making some screenshots of my friends green m4, they however completely ignored the press vest i was wearing.. they were quite new for sure..

a bit later we were running around in balota finding more food (we gave ours to the bambi's), and my friend spotted a player with a backpack and clown mask entering the hospital thing building.. since people with clown masks usually are trolls that shoot at people, we decided to move in, I saw the player go up the stairs, so the 3 of us moved in, knowing there were just 2 ways he could get down. We waited at the bottom of the stairs, I had my shotgun out and my friend had her m4 out, when the masked player walked down the stairs, oblivious that we were there he walked straight in front of me. I said in an assertive voice, "stop right there", the player stopped, i told him to get down on the floor, the player crouched so obviously he was no troll, but rather kind of new to DayZ. At that point I told the guy to not worry, and asked if he needed supplies, he said he didn't need anything, so we moved back and wished him a nice day.

anyway, that's how situational awareness lets you take control of the situation, so you get out on top, without any panic killings.

I’ve only been playing a month, but....

I would say a noob is someone who panics upon any PVP interaction, runs in open spaces with no concealment, wastes resources and ammo and has very little knowledge of the game in general.

Pro's know the map and where to find items they require. They can read player movement or even predict it. They survive and become familiar with the surroundings. Knowing the map is key. This includes item spawn locations and efficiency of items. A pro will always see you first and be in control.

Edited by Kestrol

you all seem to be fucking noobs, because you are labeling "newbe" as "noob" and "veteran" as "pro" ..you don't know shit kids...

you all seem to be fucking noobs, because you are labeling "newbe" as "noob" and "veteran" as "pro" ..you don't know shit kids...

shit-just-got-real.jpg

Noobs = People who die on a regular basis.

Pros = People who do the killing.

Friendly = People who die on a regular basis.

Bandit = People who do the killing.

Works too...

There's not much difference, but I can always tell if a village has been looted by a noob or by an experienced player. I've learned exactly which houses spawn loot now, and in which spots, so by looking at which doors are opened, I know how experienced the looter was.

Take the beige house with the porch on the side, for example. The only two loot spawns that work right now, are both on the porch. So if only the porch door is opened, it was a player who knew this. If all the doors are open, it was a noob. 

OR - going through a village I close doors as I go, but leave one or two open to cause confusion. Don't be predictable.

A line of garages - open 1 door at the far end, then come back and loot from the middle to the near end, close the doors as you go. Leave the one you didn't loot open. (Don't mess with gear on site, take it with you and check it under cover later. Dont eat in loot places. Don't look at maps or play with your inventory).

BUT - a smart sniper will open one garage door at the far end, then get cover to scope the near end, because he knows when you see the open door you'll probably sneak round the back to this end, into his sights. (If you think you're being followed, try it...open a door but go somewhere else).

AND - Don't be predictable - if you do something without thinking about it, or by habit, remember there must be plenty of players doing the same. Don't have habits, try to be somewhere you're not expected.

ELSE - If you think you got the fastest reactions in the game, walk down the main street in a cowboy hat.

When you think you're experienced, the first OK player will take you out. 'Number of times I've been smart - and then been outsmarted. At least you die with respect for the other player.   :)

xx

Edited by pilgrim