Sign in to follow this  
bobotype3334

There Is Hope For DayZ

The "kos is inevitable, players will always KoS" mindset which some people have been putting forward in the forums really needs to be stamped out.
The current situation of fully equipped players slaughtering bambis is not an accurate depiction of the want of an average player. The average player is not a griefer who joined to fuck with other people, but a person who bought DayZ to play the game, whatever it has to offer.

Since at the moment the most it has to offer [unless you have a good imagination] at its highest level, after you've scavenged all your loot and travelled, is the psychological feedback you get killing other players with your military-level weapons, then what players are going to do is kill other players. Yes, le ebin master trells exist, who play almost solely to KoS. This is not a bad thing in small amounts, and adds to the game. But not every player wants to do that, they just don't have much else to do.

So stop saying "KoS can't be fixed because people are assholes." It can be fixed, and gradually will:
-Multi-person tasks will make players more valuable as allies.

-Make zombies more attracted to a noisy "crime scene".
-Tougher zombies are coming; this will make ammunition more valuable.
-Zombies dropping loot and being in larger numbers and being harder to evade will make killing them more entertaining, necessary and rewarding than at present, where they are barely a threat.

-Vehicles and other things will bring more stuff for bored players to do.

Not everyone in DayZ is an asshole, they just have no other goals at the moment. So stop calling them assholes and have some faith in the playerbase.

• Like 5

Even if you made it so I instantly died as soon as I killed another player, I'd still shoot someone on sight every once and a while just for shits and giggles.

KOS is not a problem. Stop trying to fix it.

OP never said KOS was a problem, nor did he make any attempt or proposition to fix it.

DayZ is in early access, the planned features are not set in stone yet. You can't base the success of a game when it hasn't even need finished yet.

Please quit trying to stop KOS. People like you who want everyone to hold hands and sing instead of shooting each other will kill the game if banditry is stopped.

Edited by LeeFriendField

What needs to be stomped out is people complaining about other peoples play styles (i.e. those that don't involve glitching or hacking of course). KOS is inevitable and people will always KOS, that is a fact. Yes you can make it less viable to KOS but people will still do it. Get over it and move on already geez louise.

Edited by weedmasta

Soon it will be known as kindness on SIght. 

• Like 2

one of the largest mistakes the devs can make is to make the zombies an actual threat in the game, a very small minority is playing DayZ for PVE reasons, the game is centered around PVP combat. 

I'd be fine if zombies were eliminated from the game, call it DayKOS....

OP never said KOS was a problem, nor did he make any attempt or proposition to fix it.

The "kos is inevitable, players will always KoS" mindset which some people have been putting forward in the forums really needs to be stamped out.

or

So stop saying "KoS can't be fixed because people are assholes." It can be fixed, and gradually will:

hm.

• Like 1

one of the largest mistakes the devs can make is to make the zombies an actual threat in the game, a very small minority is playing DayZ for PVE reasons, the game is centered around PVP combat. 

They already have that game though, it's called Arma 3 multiplayer. You should try that sometime.

The game is centered around interaction and survival. PvP is a part of it, but it's not the main center. That's just what YOU have made the center.

• Like 1

In my opinion having players that murder fresh spawns actually kind of gives birth to a sort of anti version of that. People who run around killing the people who senselessly kill others. A sort of bambi protecter if you will. I have seen a fair number of people who do this and while I personally dont agree with killing people on sight or killing fresh spawns, people should be allowed to do what they want (provided they have the skill not to be murdered by their target)

Soon it will be known as kindness on SIght. 

Yea, and then we can eat privilege peanuts so we dont starve. Hopefully people continue to KOS, then ill have bandits to kill :D

I hope that's sarcasm, otherwise you've been enticed here under false pretenses. The game isn't centred around PvP. It is centred around player interaction which isn't the same thing. PvP is just the way it has unfolded. There is nothing in the design or philosophy behind DayZ that dictates a PvP only interpretation.

hm.

He said that the mindset that "kos is inevitable, players will always KoS" just needs to stop. That is not saying KOS is a problem. What that is saying is that people need to look at the larger picture. KOS will always be present, absolutely, but KOS could become less frequent when things like this > "Multi-person tasks will make players more valuable as allies.". Things like this will not eradicate KOS, but it could make it less appealing and stimulate more team based gameplay.

"So stop saying "KoS can't be fixed because people are assholes." It can be fixed, and gradually will:"

Again, the OP did not say that KOS was a problem. He more or less said that KOS will become less attractive when other features are implemented into the game. The OP should not have used the word fixed in this statement. He should have used, like I have, things like "It can be made less attractive" or "it can be less appealing".

The original comment I replied to was just a guy that had nothing good to say. He clearly didn't read the OP. He just saw a thread on KOS and posted a stock a-hole response. If he would have read the OP, then he would have realized that the OP was "not trying to fix" KOS, but was putting information out there that could, in the future, tune KOS out a bit. He was simply summing up what we will be seeing in the future and why these features would, theoretically, turn people away from KOS.

I struggle to get off the coast and get killed all the time and generally find the pvp aspect of the game too difficult

I do not.

I hope that's sarcasm, otherwise you've been enticed here under false pretenses. The game isn't centred around PvP. It is centred around player interaction which isn't the same thing. PvP is just the way it has unfolded. There is nothing in the design or philosophy behind DayZ that dictates a PvP only interpretation.

The game is not centered around anything, it's a sandbox, any and all play styles fit into the game.

The mod had the whole "making zombies a threat period" for awhile, go and look at how well that did...lol...failed.

All I am saying is a very small minority is playing the game for PvE reasons, there are games that blow DayZ out of the water in that aspect, the devs would be making a mistake to buff zombies to something crazy.

The game is not centered around anything, it's a sandbox, any and all play styles fit into the game.

The mod had the whole "making zombies a threat period" for awhile, go and look at how well that did...lol...failed.

All I am saying is a very small minority is playing the game for PvE reasons, there are games that blow DayZ out of the water in that aspect, the devs would be making a mistake to buff zombies to something crazy.

Buffing zombies to something crazy is obviously retarded. Buffing zombies a fair bit would make zombies, in a zombie apocalypse, an actual threat you would have to worry about just as much as the bandits.

Hence less banditry. Gawsh.

TO ALL WHO SAY THAT KOS IS ONLY BECAUSE OF A LACK OF CONTENT:

You must not have played the mods. KOS will always be there. More content is just more content.

Vehicles = fast paced clan wars, and bandits quickly clearing towns

Bases = base attacks and ambushes

Hunting = getting shot while skinning an animal

Fishing = shot at the lake

Trading/Shops = places for bandits to snipe

The only thing that Ive seen detract against KOS is super dangerous Zeds that spawn in large packs forcing everyone to be so afraid of shooting that they work together. Even then, still plenty of KOS. Just slightly more friendly players as a whole.  

Or people could just form groups like mine and hunt down these people

A bullet to the head and hiding their body seems to work just fine in stopping them, if people would be smart and form a group to protect themselves against bandits then something could be done

NO features will change KOS, you have to di it yourself if you want a difference

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

TO ALL WHO SAY THAT KOS IS ONLY BECAUSE OF A LACK OF CONTENT:

You must not have played the mods. KOS will always be there. More content is just more content.

Vehicles = fast paced clan wars, and bandits quickly clearing towns

Bases = base attacks and ambushes

Hunting = getting shot while skinning an animal

Fishing = shot at the lake

Trading/Shops = places for bandits to snipe

The only thing that Ive seen detract against KOS is super dangerous Zeds that spawn in large packs forcing everyone to be so afraid of shooting that they work together. Even then, still plenty of KOS. Just slightly more friendly players as a whole.  

Yeah, of course KoS will always be there and KoS is a good thing in regulated doses.

But if the game is all PVP all day, there's no point marketing it as a zombie apocalypse game.

Content can actually detract from KoS though, because as I said, there's little to do for a player with a full set of gear. He can become a medic and help new players, but help them do what? Survive to become a bandit? Or you can use your military-grade weapons to kill other player-killers, which is in itself a form of banditry. Adding more stuff to do is adding alternatives to banditry.

All we need is bigger server capacities. Then there'll be some proper danger.

It's ok at the moment if you;re on a near-full server - Berezino, Elektro, Cherno are fun places to try and infiltrate. But a lot of other towns are mostly empty, which is a shame. I really like the fact that the big towns are full of nutters who kill anything that moves for fun. I don't join in with the PvP combat, particularly, but it makes it a real challenge to try and loot those areas. If they were just empty, it'd be boring.

When you spawn on the coast and there's gunfire all around you, it immediately puts you on edge. You have to duck and crawl, keep out of sight and try to get away to safety, wherever you judge that to be. It;s great! Just go with it, try to survive the hostile environment, and enjoy the challenge. I have never once killed another player, (coming up to 100 hours) but I enjoy the danger created by the people who do.

Not sure if trolling or just an idiot...

I bought the game for the survival aspect and I understand that it's not fully developed. People will play the game for PvE  when the content is there. The problem is that there isn't much to do now  other than track down people and kill them.

All we need is bigger server capacities. Then there'll be some proper danger.

It's ok at the moment if you;re on a near-full server - Berezino, Elektro, Cherno are fun places to try and infiltrate. But a lot of other towns are mostly empty, which is a shame. I really like the fact that the big towns are full of nutters who kill anything that moves for fun. I don't join in with the PvP combat, particularly, but it makes it a real challenge to try and loot those areas. If they were just empty, it'd be boring.

When you spawn on the coast and there's gunfire all around you, it immediately puts you on edge. You have to duck and crawl, keep out of sight and try to get away to safety, wherever you judge that to be. It;s great! Just go with it, try to survive the hostile environment, and enjoy the challenge. I have never once killed another player, (coming up to 100 hours) but I enjoy the danger created by the people who do.

Your idea of "gunfire all around you" on the coast isn't what DayZ is meant to be at all.

In the mod, you would spawn on the coast, then immediately begin crawling to avoid sight of the zombies you knew were all around you. Fear prevailed instantly, because you had the ability to, with common sense and awareness, avoid the zombies. There was no "fuck it I'm going to probably get shot so I'll sprint" attitude, because zeds were actually a genuine threat.

DayZ Mod presented a great, almost perfect simulation of a zombie apocalypse, capturing what you would be spending most of your time doing if such a thing happened in real life: crouching in bushes and behind fences breathing heavily. The soundtrack added to the fear too *nolstalgia* :')

With full on KoS, DayZ is becoming a SPRINT FUCKING EVERYWHERE game because sprinting/standing out in the open attracts nowhere near as much of a zombie threat. This effectively neuters the zombies, and allows a Call Of Duty situation to prevail.

Zombies should be the main threat, not players. Bandits are the terrifying once-offs you encounter, guys in clown masks [or even not-so-blatant clothes] who lead a zombie horde to you, or snipe you, and are always players smart or lucky enough to avoid the zombies AND try to kill players.

Edited by bobotype3334

Hate to be that guy, but even Dean has mentioned that it IS a problem. The amount of players just slaughtering fresh spawns for shit and giggles is a problem. Your milage may very, but it doesn't seem very authentic, nor is it interesting, engaging, or fun in any way to have players camp the spawn points and slaughter the newborns.

Again, even the lead desinger of this game has agreed, Yes it is an issue. One that will probably work itself out to some degree when the game has more content.

If everybody KoS this game would suck. Well it still sucks when a very large amount of players do it too. That's not what Day Z is really about.

Edited by TripX7

Do we really need another one of these threads? Ok. I'll humor you:

Congratulations! You've successfully gotten up on a soap box and to declare what could easily be considered common sense and painted it up in the entirety of your completely self-righteous and sanctimonious attitude.

You'd make a fine Priest. Have you considered contacting the dioceses and applying an application for the formation of a parish?