Sign in to follow this  
SurvivorAndy

SKS or M4?

I have an SKS with lots of ammo but keep finding M4A1's in pretty good quality. As a gun , the M4A1 is usually my favorite gun in games but I have heard in this game the M4 is very inaccurate with a large spread and low range. I don't really know what the SKS has so I can't compare them, so input please?

SKS is sweet, but I'd prefer the M4 simply because of the amount of ammo you have available at any given time.  30, 40, 60 rounds > 10 rounds, even if you're a good shot, better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Most will say SKS, but it depends on your style. The M4 can be a great weapon, but requires the use of MP parts in pristine condition to be its most accurate. There are plenty of videos with guys using iron sights and getting long headshots with the M4.

The difference is simple:

M4 is a versatile cqb to mid range weapon with many attachments.

SKS is a mid range rifle with less versatility and attachments.

If you kill mostly up close, go M4. If its mostly from 200-400m away, choose the SKS. 

have used an SKS before, and really liked it but have now made the jump to an M4, for which I've found a TON of ammo.  Will test and get back to you!

m4.

m4.

m4.

sks has 10 round semi auto with very rare 10 round mag.

m4 is full auto with 60 round mag.

acog is better than pu scope.

• Like 1

I choose M4 simply because of the magazine capacity, (and abundance). I'm not the best shot so "spray and pray" is my preferred method.

I have an SKS with lots of ammo but keep finding M4A1's in pretty good quality. As a gun , the M4A1 is usually my favorite gun in games but I have heard in this game the M4 is very inaccurate with a large spread and low range. I don't really know what the SKS has so I can't compare them, so input please?

Without MP handguard and buttstock = go with SKS.

With MP handguard and buttstock = M4 all the way.

• Like 1

Basically the SKS is useless when you consider the Mosin.

its called a stripper clip, works similar to a magazine but is very different.

for me its the sks+pu due to my playstyle.

black screen of death with no idea where the shot came from.

im not sure about the game but the 7.62 is more powerful than the 5.56

Basically the SKS is useless when you consider the Mosin.

also this

mosin will, even with pu scope, nail the target at 400m.

sks? not so much.

more versitle for cqb with semi auto but is a placeholder weapon.

i'd take blaze 95 over sks, to be frank.

• Like 1

mosin is bolt though, so at least with the SKS you can "spray" if needed

rof on mosin is shite, so if you miss...

Edited by deebz1234

I personally hate the SKS. I find it very inaccurate compared to every other gun in the game.

Depends on your playstyle. I wouldn't trade my SKS+scope for any tricked-out M4.

Problem right now is IMO that 5.56 ammo is far too easy to obtain and with everybody and their grandma running around with 60 round mags the advantage of more powerful rounds like the 7.62x39mm isn't that clear.

Edited by ParaB

I'm a little confused by this, everyone is saying 5.56 is more common than the SKS ammo counterpart but I take all ammo I find aside from shells, and whileI've stocked up almost 90 shots for my SKS I've found very few 5.56's.

I'd probably swap it out for a Mosin if I could find one but I don't have any ammo for it and most encounters with players are close range and frantic.

5.56mm ammo is easy to find at military installations. Full 20, 30, 40 and 60 round mags galore. SKS ammo OTOH comes only in batches of maximum 20.

And the full auto M4 is probably in much higher demand than the SKS. In the last two weeks e.g. I've seen plenty of SKS lying around, but all in all maybe two M4s.

Edited by ParaB

Depends on your playstyle. I wouldn't trade my SKS+scope for any tricked-out M4.

Problem right now is IMO that 5.56 ammo is far too easy to obtain and with everybody and their grandma running around with 60 round mags the advantage of more powerful rounds like the 7.62x39mm isn't that clear.

Yea and dont even dare hint and making 60 rd mags rarer or all the crutch kids will crawl out of their holes and defend the M4 while saying they like the mosin. And then come over here and recommend the m4 because of how much you can spray. Typical dayz players are typical. 

Yea and dont even dare hint and making 60 rd mags rarer or all the crutch kids will crawl out of their holes and defend the M4 while saying they like the mosin. And then come over here and recommend the m4 because of how much you can spray. Typical dayz players are typical. 

I'll use any weapon; I love 'em all. When I make a new character I take the first weapon I find and roll with it for that character's duration. Right now I'm rolling with the Mosin-Nagant kitted with pristine compensator, LRS and bipod. Last time it was the SKS. I actually prefer the SKS and its simplicity; find a PU scope and you're done kitting it. The ammo is plentiful, and it packs a mean punch. Anything under 400m dies very fast.

However, the M4A1 with MP handguard/buttstock and an ACOG is fucking king. Why would you rage at people for using it? You're calling us a bunch of kids for so doing, yet the definition of kid defines you in a nutshell. You basically threw a temper tantrum in the thread you posted about it, and now you're infecting this thread. I would actually pay real money to drop you unconscious with my M4A1 and listen to your squeals of nerd-rage.

Bliss.

• Like 1

I will say I dislike how the 60 round mag works.  It is linked, not a solid 60 round.

Thanks everyone, I wasn't expecting it to be a topic that was that heavily debated.

Last question though, how often will the gun parts take damage and how difficult is it to replace them? So far it seems the SKS will be easier to keep around.

M4 maaaaynnn! It's a total noob cannon but with the proper parts and a sustained firing position it's very accurate over medium distances. Plus you've got the 60 round mags for CQB. I love the mosin and sks but the m4 will always have my heart because of its versatility!

M4 maaaaynnn! It's a total noob cannon but with the proper parts and a sustained firing position it's very accurate over medium distances. Plus you've got the 60 round mags for CQB. I love the mosin and sks but the m4 will always have my heart because of its versatility!

Thanks, and is your name a reference to The Stand?

I'm not sure what it is, but the SKS just always feels better to me than the M4. Its long barrel implies it is more versatile for the way I play the game and its look means that I look less military and more civilian- which is becoming more important to me since I've noticed it changes other players default reactions. That being said, I do like the ammo capacity of the M4 because its a necessity in some very dangerous situations.

I should note though, that I would never take an SKS over an M4 if I didn't have a pistol as backup for inside houses, etc.

Edited by Alyais

SKS, better accuracy and damage wins any day, unless you can't shoot in which M4 for you (hence why all the bandits use M4's, they can't hit a thing!)