CrazyCorky

Why are you against many military items in game?

No, the military is trained to shoot center mass on a target. EVERYONE knows you can't kill a zombie that way.... except the military.

Wouldn't the inability to make that inference and adjust tactics imply incompetence/stupidity getting us back to my point?

Edited by Franchi

If you play experimental you'll know ammo is becoming really scarce even if amount of guns is not; hell one of our M4 guys had only 25 rounds the entire evening and this was going through the inhabited West side of the map on a 45/50 hardcore server...no idea where everyone was.

You'll have to kill more and travel more to get your gun fix. Get ready for more intense encounters.

If you play on experimental you will know that everything you said is incorrect. I was playing yesterday. I found 4 boxes of magunm amo, 6 boxes of sks amo, shotgun rounds, a box of mosin amo, 6 sks, 2 shotguns a magnum and a mosin.

In cherno alone.

Edit: And we found well over 100 rounds of m4 amo at Balota.

Edited by Judopunch

I am fine with the guns but I think the ammo should run out.

At the moment the game has an unlimited supply of ammunition.

I think the amount of ammo should be drastically reduced and eventually run out once crafted weapons are in place.

iirc wasnt dayz starting period supposed to be some time after the actual outbreak anyway. Yes at first things like food, weapons etc would be fairly easy to find, but after even a month or so a lot of things apart from clothing arent going to be operable after being left in the field with no maintenance. Try leaving an m4 out in the dirt for a week even and then getting it to work, you'll misfire all day and die trying to clear a jam even after you cleaned it.  Dayz is supposed to be a survival sim, not a mil sim. The mod was built on a mil sim and thus had a lot of military grade equipment/weapons. The SA is just that a standalone  

• Like 1

iirc wasnt dayz starting period supposed to be some time after the actual outbreak anyway. Yes at first things like food, weapons etc would be fairly easy to find, but after even a month or so a lot of things apart from clothing arent going to be operable after being left in the field with no maintenance. Try leaving an m4 out in the dirt for a week even and then getting it to work, you'll misfire all day and die trying to clear a jam even after you cleaned it.  Dayz is supposed to be a survival sim, not a mil sim. The mod was built on a mil sim and thus had a lot of military grade equipment/weapons. The SA is just that a standalone  

Logic is not allowed here.  Shoo!!! Shoo!!!

Why does everyone consider the M4 to be a mil spec weapon?! It is also used by police all over the world as well as just in the US.

I think the reality is that it would be painfully easy to kill off all zombies from just about every movie except for 28 days later sprinters. I don't mind the military guns and i'd like to see ranged weaponry made possible from [rare'ish] scopes for any weapon and zero'ing and successful shooting with wind,etc taken into account, rather than from dedicated sniper/hunting type rifles. Although i do think that 2-shot-kills should be ass powerful as they get (or take half your health, giving you a small chance not to make your journey all the way to the NWAF a total waste).

One thing i like about using guns in games and part of the reason i think there are so many shooter games is that pulling the trigger on a gun is a lot like clicking your mouse button. As compared to swinging an axe, punching or wrestling someone to the ground, etc...

Why would weapons be left out in the dirt? Seriously I want to know.

given the fact that the military obviously failed to conatin the zombie outbreak, and camps etc got overrun by zombies, you really think the soldiers left alive would take time to pick everything up and move it? The m4 is a military grade weapon, just because civilian variants exist, the one ingame is not a civilian variant. The m4 is also a very high maintenance firearm. If dayz is a decent amount of time after the intial outbreak the wear on such weapons from simply being exposed to the elements would make them useless to a large poriton of the population who dont have a clue about how to clean or even disassemble a rifle. There would be no google/internet search to look such things up. 

Edited by Sickerthansars

given the fact that the military obviously failed to conatin the zombie outbreak, and camps etc got overrun by zombies, you really think the soldiers left alive would take time to pick everything up and move it? The m4 is a military grade weapon, just because civilian variants exist, the one ingame is not a civilian variant. The m4 is also a very high maintenance firearm. If dayz is a decent amount of time after the intial outbreak the wear on such weapons from simply being exposed to the elements would make them useless to a large poriton of the population who dont have a clue about how to clean or even disassemble a rifle. 

We don't know that it's specifically a military variant either. Games never get stuff right..

We don't know that it's specifically a military variant either. Games never get stuff right..

Given that chenarus is a post soviet state, and the only western presence would have been from the UN/US it is a certainty the m4s in game would be military issue, that and its listed as being the m4a1 which is the fully automatic version of the m4, again a military spec.

Edited by Sickerthansars

given the fact that the military obviously failed to conatin the zombie outbreak, and camps etc got overrun by zombies, you really think the soldiers left alive would take time to pick everything up and move it? The m4 is a military grade weapon, just because civilian variants exist, the one ingame is not a civilian variant. The m4 is also a very high maintenance firearm. If dayz is a decent amount of time after the intial outbreak the wear on such weapons from simply being exposed to the elements would make them useless to a large poriton of the population who dont have a clue about how to clean or even disassemble a rifle. There would be no google/internet search to look such things up. 

No I don't think they would have moved them, I would expect that after getting bit more than a few soldiers would have made their way into hospitals/barracks/houses etc treated their wounds and succumbed to the infection there. I doubt they would have left the weapons where they got bit either. It is perfectly logical to expect you would find their weapons, not all soldiers carry their weapons on a 3 point harness I would also expect that while receiving medical assistance or while treating themselves many of the bitten would have removed their 3 point harnesses.

Here lets do a little test

You are sick/injured in a hostile environment do you..

A ) drop your weapon and run around like a chicken with its head cut off

B )Take your weapon and find a building to hold up in

C )Take your weapon and run into the woods

D ) drop your weapon and find somewhere to hold up

I think we can assume most would choose B, meaning we have a decent chance to find the weapons in buildings.

Also I would expect that as units were overran and pushed back they would attempt to fortify buildings and hold them, only to be killed/infected by members of the unit who were infected and/or to kill those infected unit members. When falling back and fortifying these positions I would expect them to gather what weapons and ammunition they could find. Meaning we have yet another scenario that makes buildings like the ATC barracks and fire station, especially the roofs of these buildings potential gold mines.

Why is it that I think you look exactly like your avatar.....

If you want to bring in the morons of the population who don't know how to maintain their weapons you also have to bring in the people like me, the people who could MAKE a SMG with some readily available materials and basic hand tools, So do you want to go there?

Edited by Franchi

If you play experimental you'll know ammo is becoming really scarce even if amount of guns is not; hell one of our M4 guys had only 25 rounds the entire evening and this was going through the inhabited West side of the map on a 45/50 hardcore server...no idea where everyone was.

You'll have to kill more and travel more to get your gun fix. Get ready for more intense encounters.

I really like the idea of only having a very limited amount of ammo, it adds to the immersion.

Like seriously, I shot my gun whenever I had the chance, just because the ammo was so easy to find, I knew if I survived until the next 30 mins I'd find 12 .357 magnum cartridges to replace the 3 I spent.

The previous survivor dropped it after they got shot in the back by a sniper. The body was then picked clean by zombies and other scavengers such as crows and feral cats. The rain then washed the bones down the hill into the nearby creek you took a drink from. After noticing the bones you followed the trail the rain left which lead you to the gun, partially covered in dirt, still with a mag attached and round in the chamber.

• Like 1

I am not at all, I do think it should be a bit more rare and definately have hordes of zombies guarding them... One day...

I am fine with the guns but I think the ammo should run out.

At the moment the game has an unlimited supply of ammunition.

I think the amount of ammo should be drastically reduced and eventually run out once crafted weapons are in place.

Run... Out? God, that would be horrifying.

OVerall I can reason that the ones supporting the shift to more civilian weapons types - read. shotguns, Blaze, revolver - can see the difference in the intensity of play.

As a challenge to see the difference, I suggest you try to make two runs through the Z mobs north of Chern. One, take your M4 and FNX. Other taking your revolver and blaze. It is quite different.

Now put yourself in a city scenario where a mob of new born players, say like a dozen, just come with shovels and crowbars to smash your heads, you and you companions.

With a mix of M4s and fall back Mosin snipers, unless you guys are deficient in space control, you will be wiping them. Now try to do the same bearing only shotgun, blaze and revolver AND also your couple snipers. Will be a different story.

Suffice to say we were jumped by one of these mobs and tally was 21 to 0 with everyone in full military. After some days the same happened in the city, we were bearing mostly civilian guns because ammo was really scarce. Only 2 survived from a group of 6.

We enjoyed both situation a lot, but definitely the second one was way way more intense and satisfying with ammo running out, backs against wall in houses and eventually every plan goes to hell because more and more armed bambies piled on.

I don't care how they will make it in the future, I only know which I like for being more intense gaming as opposite to massacre hilarity.

I think the reality is that it would be painfully easy to kill off all zombies from just about every movie except for 28 days later sprinters. I don't mind the military guns and i'd like to see ranged weaponry made possible from [rare'ish] scopes for any weapon and zero'ing and successful shooting with wind,etc taken into account, rather than from dedicated sniper/hunting type rifles. Although i do think that 2-shot-kills should be ass powerful as they get (or take half your health, giving you a small chance not to make your journey all the way to the NWAF a total waste).

One thing i like about using guns in games and part of the reason i think there are so many shooter games is that pulling the trigger on a gun is a lot like clicking your mouse button. As compared to swinging an axe, punching or wrestling someone to the ground, etc...

Yeah, I keep imagining if the zombie apocalypse would really happen where I live in Stockholm... Say 1 million zombies, moving slowly through the streets. It'd be easy to kill them, it'd only be a matter of time, and your trigger finger would get tired :).

Shooting a gun is very unlike clicking a mouse, believe me. I do both :). 

I actually prefer running around with civilian weapons/clothing. Feels more realistic.

Having a magnum or a two-shot rifle adds tension when you need to use them. Unless you have a speed-loader, you will be stressing for each re-load.

I only keep them for emergencies (ie, zombie swarm, encounter with one bad player) because, obviously, being surrounded by geared groups would end badly for me regardless of my weaponry.

Edited by sacrdandprofne

Hollywood has this perception of the US military as stupid uneducated bloodthirsty rednecks and the poor who join the military becasue they don't have any other options. This leads them to portray the military as for the most part incompetent.

Not to denigrate the armed forces of the United States, or defend a Hollywood portrayal of anything, but this stereotype is only partially untrue, and is probably partially true of basically any military force. If you look up "soldier" in the dictionary, one of the alt-definitions for the verb form basically says "pretend to work hard while accomplishing very little." Rank and file soldiers have been associated with poor-folk for hundreds of years, and the recent conflict in Iraq lowered recruitment standards in the US until basically last year, bringing in all sorts of fine people.

Trust me, there are plenty of stupid, uneducated bloodthirsty rednecks, and dirt-poor desperate people, that joined the military because they didn't have any other options. That's not the norm, but there's enough of them that you can't help but notice it when you're in. In particular, the southern racist a-hole is only ONE of many types of horrible person you'll encounter while serving your country, and far from the worst. Smiling, charming sexual-assault guy is the real one to watch out for, and is impossible to identify through profiling.

Basically, what you said is kinda like complaining that Hollywood always shows pirates drinking and whoring. Sure, maybe that's not what they always did in real-life, but you can't exactly say that the reputation was pulled out of thin air.