Mr Jizz

PROOF from Ukrainian uprising the PRESS VEST WORKS!

This item needs to be coveted in the game.. anyone have first hand experience (in game)?

Should also be possible to spray paint it green or black...

• Like 2

I've seen him in action. That reporter stood on top of a three story building in all blue and reported about ducking from sniper shots just the day earlier...He's either very brave or very stupid or both, but lucky after all it seems.

Kids, don't do this at home :D

Edited by Highlander007

Im more curious where the idea comes from that it was a sniper...

Looks like a hollowpoint bullet from a handgun to me.

Most likely .45 by the length, as not many 9mm bullets are that long.

• Like 1

press vests are lvl IIIA vests designed to stop small caliber rounds up to 45 hardball. Anything that is hollow point or fired from a fair distance would be stopped by that vest.

Unless it had rifle plate inserts it would not stop any projectile from a rifle so most likely it was not a sniper round like they are saying but some handgun round.

He is still indeed very lucky and should make sure he doesnt have any extensive internal damage as soft vests like that do not protect against blunt force trauma of getting hit

• Like 1

Not a 45, far to thin and long, same for most other handgun rounds. Best guess is a JSP 30 cal, but I wouldn't expect that vest to stop it, real head scratcher. Maybe a 7.62x39 at extreme range? Hard to tell with nothing on the floor to indicate size, but it looks like a rifle bullet to me based on what I can tell of its width compared to its length.

• Like 1

A nice video of someone shooting a German flak vest with 10 different rounds. The kevlar insert that he is shooting is the same that is in Press vests and the same that is in US military vests. I've personally shot Kevlar inserts with 5.56 and .44, the 5.56 goes right through and the .44 pushes the kevlar so much that it will burst out the back.

• Like 1

I'm with Franchi.

It's an AK round, probly fired from a decent distance, anything closer than 300m and it likely would have defeated the vest. Deflection, wind, maybe it went through some thin wood first who knows. Nice shot, at least.

Is it just me or does that vest appear to have a rifle plate insert? It looks far too rigid to simply be soft body armor.

• Like 1

press vests are lvl IIIA vests designed to stop small caliber rounds up to 45 hardball. Anything that is hollow point or fired from a fair distance would be stopped by that vest.

Unless it had rifle plate inserts it would not stop any projectile from a rifle so most likely it was not a sniper round like they are saying but some handgun round.

He is still indeed very lucky and should make sure he doesnt have any extensive internal damage as soft vests like that do not protect against blunt force trauma of getting hit

That looked like a flack vest not a soft vest. But I am not an expert on such things.

Is it just me or does that vest appear to have a rifle plate insert? It looks far too rigid to simply be soft body armor.

Alot of old school and old generation soft armor looked that way. there might be space for plates in there though I doubt it. Even if it did, where the round hit would be just outside the bottom corner or right on the edge of a standard sized plate. The dreaded gut shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x59iN4KMz4#t=76

I dont care if its yellow, ill take this one.

That probably (most certainly does) has a steel or ceramic plate in it. Steel can take plenty of shots, but ceramic will shatter after 1-3 rounds and then be useless. 

The people in this video are pretty stupid and they certainly act it, but it shows what will happen if you get shot (edit: with a low caliber weapon) wearing a vest without plates.

I also think it would be pretty cool if you could use books to stop or reduce the damage of ballistics. 

Edited by ChekovP

That probably (most certainly does) has a steel or ceramic plate in it. Steel can take plenty of shots, but ceramic will shatter after 1-3 rounds and then be useless. 

The people in this video are pretty stupid and they certainly act it, but it shows what will happen if you get shot (edit: with a low caliber weapon) wearing a vest without plates.

I also think it would be pretty cool if you could use books to stop or reduce the damage of ballistics. 

To be fair, it's a concealable vest (probably a Level 2 or something) with nothing underneath it and not even a soft trauma plate on it.

Edited by dvsilverwing

This is great. By far my favorite item in DayZ is the Press Vest. Saved my life on more than one occasion and their quite fashionable in pristine condition!