MissyX

What do a mute person do?

MissyX, you started a very important thread here. I read every post here.

Obviously, it's about more than DayZ--it's about integrating the so-called "differently-abled" people into a space (virtual or RL) which most of us take for granted. And the amount of solid support you have gotten here is gratifying to see. I have nothing else to add to the suggestions already made but will say that, if I were or became a clan leader, I'd be happy to have you on board. It's obvious that you can hear and that your experience has probably honed your perception and awareness. You also sound pretty sharp. You may well be a natural sniper and that's a role for you in some clan.

Even though I initially liked the concept of a server that favors people with various handicaps, I think the poster above (I forget which page) who was against the idea of creating a separate server meant well. He's right in that there's no call to further isolate or corral "normal" people with "un-normal" issues. You belong right here in Chenarus with the rest of the community.

I wish you the best and please keep us posted.

• Like 3

I do not want this tread to turn out as a garbage dump for trolls and people not being able to have a adult discussion about a topic!  :)

I am going to say tho, i know i represent a minority here, but i wish that all social media would have people like me and others in mind when they develop something. Just take DayZ in its current state as a example, i am a prime target because i can not fluidly speak to someone in the game and explain that i am mute. Ofc i can use a soundboard and other things, but that is not really a fluid forum for communication, besides i can only bind so many keys on my keyboard, and have someone do so many recordings for me. Do people honestly think it is fair that me as a mute have to go trough all that just to have a chance to play the game without being shot every 10min by someone because i can't talk?

And writing things in the chat is okei, but as the other topic clearly shows, people who type things in chat instead of talking will be shot on the spot. Don't anyone of you think that is a bit harsh? It don't make you for even a sec sit back and think "maybe this is not the way to go about this?"

The entire internet is a garbage dump for trolls so don't worry about it. lol And yeah, its a sad statement about humanity but there are a lot of people in the world who don't understand things like empathy and being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes. They generally only care about themselves. 

Oh hey, I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned this idea yet but one thing they could do is implement a chat system like Planetside 2, where you could hit a key combination to have a character voice say things like "I'm friendly!"

• Like 2

MissyX, you started a very important thread here. I read every post here.

Obviously, it's about more than DayZ--it's about integrating the so-called "differently-abled" people into a space (virtual or RL) which most of us take for granted. And the amount of solid support you have gotten here is gratifying to see. I have nothing else to add to the suggestions already made but will say that, if I were or became a clan leader, I'd be happy to have you on board. It's obvious that you can hear and that your experience has probably honed your perception and awareness. You also sound pretty sharp. You may well be a natural sniper and that's a role for you in some clan.

Even though I initially liked the concept of a server that favors people with various handicaps, I think the poster above (I forget which page) who was against the idea of creating a separate server meant well. He's right in that there's no call to further isolate or corral "normal" people with "un-normal" issues. You belong right here in Chenarus with the rest of the community.

I wish you the best and please keep us posted.

I am sort of aware about whats around me, but it is the first game of this kind that i play, so i am still trying to get used to playing it, learn to navigate the map and so on :)

Me personally would not like if there was a separate server for deaf / mute people, it would just add to the feeling we already have being left out of things :D

• Like 2

The entire internet is a garbage dump for trolls so don't worry about it. lol And yeah, its a sad statement about humanity but there are a lot of people in the world who don't understand things like empathy and being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes. They generally only care about themselves. 

Oh hey, I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned this idea yet but one thing they could do is implement a chat system like Planetside 2, where you could hit a key combination to have a character voice say things like "I'm friendly!"

I have not played Planetside 2, but it is a great idea. Hope the devs see that post and takes note of it because i can not believe it is to hard to add to the game :)

Chat and use the in-game gestures.  This is your best bet for survival communication in-game.  Yes, text chat is limited because people don't know the proximity of the person typing whereas if they hear someone over voice, they know they are close.  Could you use a soundboard of general commands and phrases though an overlay?  Or just shoot them I guess :D

Chat and use the in-game gestures.  This is your best bet for survival communication in-game.  Yes, text chat is limited because people don't know the proximity of the person typing whereas if they hear someone over voice, they know they are close.  Could you use a soundboard of general commands and phrases though an overlay?  Or just shoot them I guess :D

Yeah i am working to get a soundboard made with a few very basic lines, but still it is a lot of work just to get by in a game :)

expensive than game on steam 

+  Reliable website 

What is this ment to be? lol

Edited by Sula
Edited out dodgy link

I do not want this tread to turn out as a garbage dump for trolls and people not being able to have a adult discussion about a topic! :)

I am going to say tho, i know i represent a minority here, but i wish that all social media would have people like me and others in mind when they develop something. Just take DayZ in its current state as a example, i am a prime target because i can not fluidly speak to someone in the game and explain that i am mute. Ofc i can use a soundboard and other things, but that is not really a fluid forum for communication, besides i can only bind so many keys on my keyboard, and have someone do so many recordings for me. Do people honestly think it is fair that me as a mute have to go trough all that just to have a chance to play the game without being shot every 10min by someone because i can't talk?

And writing things in the chat is okei, but as the other topic clearly shows, people who type things in chat instead of talking will be shot on the spot. Don't anyone of you think that is a bit harsh? It don't make you for even a sec sit back and think "maybe this is not the way to go about this?"

I don't want you to get the wrong impression here because I agree with you about inclusiveness. It's really behind in the video game world and most games made are still catering to straight, white males even though it's clear that they're not the only ones playing video games. But I have to ask, how would you go about approaching someone irl? I mean, not trying to hold them up, but just initiate conversation with someone?

Well, I think the problem is that you are female AND mute. You probably wouldn't have as many problems if you were a guy. You would still have to deal with people shooting you for not talking but you wouldn't have people questioning whether or not you are actually mute.  I guess a lot of people still haven't gotten past the idea that there are now A LOT of female gamers out there so they still have the old "this person is really a dood" mentality.  :rolleyes: But to be fair, there ARE some people out there who do that for whatever reason. Back when we first started Estrogen, we had a couple of guys who hated us and managed to join our clan by saying they were female gamers and didn't have mics. After they caused some drama we had to create a new "Everyone must have Ventrillo and a mic" rule. We didn't want to do it but we didn't have a choice unless we wanted to get trolled again. We haven't ever had a mute person want to join us so I'm not really sure how we would handle that type of situation. But anyway, my advice is not to let those people bother you and find a group to play with who can speak for you.

Hey, you're welcome to join up with me when I'm on... I usually play with my boyfriend and another friend. If someone has something to say to you, i'd be happy to taunt them on your behalf right before I put a sniper bullet through their head.  :o

I follow the ongoing debate about sexism in video games closely, and I often see the question being asked "What are people so afraid of?" when it comes to change. The fact is that it's just that which scares them: Change. It's a natural psychological reaction in humans to avoid change because it symbolizes the unknown, whilst what exist now is known and comfortable. Hence there will always be people screaming and raging whenever someone is asking for change, no matter how irrational and dumb their pleas for conservativism is.

That leads me to the next thing: Hate.

Ignorance spawns hate. Simple as that. And I'm sure you can see the chain now: Change is asked for. Change is unknown. Lack of knowledge spawns hate. And there you have it.

How to go about changing stuff without having large groups of scared people trying to fight the change then? Education. Fight the lack of knowledge and ignorance by informing and thus comforting the people who are scared. A good key here is focusing on what will not be changed, what will remain the same. "Yes, there will be a couple of changes, but this and that will not change."

Anywho.. Missy, there are soundboards to be had. You shouldn't have to make one from scratch. And on the subject of soundboards in DayZ Standalone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WofiN2c_XQ

• Like 1

Hi Missy, we have had a couple of members who were deaf, in the past.  They played on ordinary servers along with everyone else.  They were two of our most deadly players. ;) I hope you enjoy the game!

Hey Strawman!

If i want contact with someone in real, i usually just go up to the person and write a note on my pad for them to read, now and then i meet people who know sign language and the interaction gets a little better. I am not sure how this relates to the game, because going up to someone and starts writing is your death sentence for sure hehe. But that is how i do it :)

I am not getting in to the sexism thing in this tread, and i hope everyone respect the topic of this tread and stay away from it. Thanks :D

• Like 1

I've been thinking for the last couple hours on an in-game system for mute people. I read somewhere that they'd implement a color system for the daltonic people, so I'm sure they have people with other issues like the lack of voice in consideration (excuse my terrible english, is not my native language and if I sound a little bit like an asshole is not my intention)

Anyway, I guess we all should take more serious the text chat when playing. I know I always will now

• Like 2

Hey Strawman!

If i want contact with someone in real, i usually just go up to the person and write a note on my pad for them to read, now and then i meet people who know sign language and the interaction gets a little better. I am not sure how this relates to the game, because going up to someone and starts writing is your death sentence for sure hehe. But that is how i do it :)

I am not getting in to the sexism thing in this tread, and i hope everyone respect the topic of this tread and stay away from it. Thanks :D

Yeah, I'll stay away from the sexism debate here.

I was just curious how you deal with it irl, in case there'd be a similar way that could work in-game. Hence the disclaimer that I didn't want you to get the wrong impression. It's an honest question, since I don't know any mute people. It's usually simpler to just ask, right? :)

UPDATE at this link http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175710-what-do-a-mute-person-do/page-3#entry1821407

I am a mute person, as in i can't talk at all as i have no voice. So my question is, how will i go about playing this game as i can't talk to people. The other day i was running around in some small village not to far from devils, and i heard someone tell me to stop and don't turn around. I did, i dropped my axe, my backpack. Then this person ask me to reply to him, so i typed i could not speak and would be using text, and before i knew it the bastard shot me and said "stop lying"

And to day i was at the far east air port and two people with rifles ran just in front of me without noticing me sitting in a bush. So i typed "hey please stop" And ofc they would not do it, and i sort of felt i had to take them down, but before i could i 3rd player came and told them in voice to stop and lay down... guess what... they both did with in a couple of sec. I just slowly backed up from there and left the area.

So i guess maybe what i am asking, is there really a future for a mute girl in the game?

Well sticking your hands up and going prone is a good sign saying "im not going to hurt you", my friend puts up his fists and nods up/down for yes, and qeqe for no, when his 1yr old is sleeping.. It will be harder to communicate, i can imagine that, but i think not much worse then in real life..

However, is a voicebox not an option for you.. for simple lines like "drop your weapon and dont turn around", stuff like that?

there are some freebie apps for phone that can load your own samples into a sample board, hook it up with a 3,5mm male to 3,5mm male jack to the mic of your computer, now all we need is a volunteer with a cute voice to record the samples that will be your voice

Edited by mosibfu

i don't have one no, and it is ok to ask, don't really mind :)

• Like 1

Update 2 

of my quest in DayZ :D

Here i am again everyone with a new update on how my quest in DayZ has been going and also my thoughts around it :)

I had a friend of mine help me record some lines i could try to use in DayZ to explain that i was mute, couple attention drawing lines like "hey you in "insert building"" But i can't say i am happy with the result. Before i hardly saw guys accuse me for being a guy, but after i started using the soundboard that is more or less all i have got. Guys yelling and screaming after be for pretending to be a girl using the mute as a excuse not to give my self away as a guy. And it makes me wonder why guys think it is so fun to go about pretending to be mute, if the case is that it is a common thing. Is there really that little respect for a serious disability like that around in the gaming world? 

I am not going to go down on the community here as a whole because i have got a lot of very nice posts in this tread and i am very thankful for that. But anyway, it sure seem like at least a part of the player base is very "girlaphobic" in this game when they are not spoken to with a female voice hehe. I think that is a shame, and i don't really see why me and a girl have to go trough the whole "prove to us girlaphobics you are real with a webcam half naked" all the time. Not only is it kind a degrading when they pick on you for being mute, but then you have to deal with the "prove to us" sillyness as well. So i just want to say to the whole community, stop being so damned silly! :)

I appreciate your frustration OP, but unfortunately there is not really any complete way to counter the situation. Until private hives come about and people trust you as a regular player you are always going to be considered a threat (as would any player) and the inability to vocalise is not going to help. A soundboard or a simple text to chat application that is fed into the microphone channel will provide some feedback, but it's just human nature to trust a human voice more than a generated one.

As I say I appreciate your frustration, as I am unable physically to see stereoscopic 3D. Films and some games rely on this and I'm sure in the future more games will incorporate it, so I do understand not being able to properly interact with a medium properly.

Not sure what the whole "girl" chat is about though, as it shouldn't really make any difference what the gender of the person controlling the character is, only their actions. I'm male but I certainly wouldn't "prove" my manliness so I don't see why anyone should prove their womanliness. They should be treated equally regardless.

• Like 2

I am not going to go down on the community here as a whole because i have got a lot of very nice posts in this tread and i am very thankful for that. But anyway, it sure seem like at least a part of the player base is very "girlaphobic" in this game when they are not spoken to with a female voice hehe. I think that is a shame, and i don't really see why me and a girl have to go trough the whole "prove to us girlaphobics you are real with a webcam half naked" all the time. Not only is it kind a degrading when they pick on you for being mute, but then you have to deal with the "prove to us" sillyness as well. So i just want to say to the whole community, stop being so damned silly! :)

I'll get some grief for saying this, but the game attracts a lot of youngsters who've never had RL interaction with women. I think you've had the bad luck to meet some of the more immature players.

This is not a blanket accusation towards all young men...

I appreciate your frustration OP, but unfortunately there is not really any complete way to counter the situation. Until private hives come about and people trust you as a regular player you are always going to be considered a threat (as would any player) and the inability to vocalise is not going to help. A soundboard or a simple text to chat application that is fed into the microphone channel will provide some feedback, but it's just human nature to trust a human voice more than a generated one.

As I say I appreciate your frustration, as I am unable physically to see stereoscopic 3D. Films and some games rely on this and I'm sure in the future more games will incorporate it, so I do understand not being able to properly interact with a medium properly.

Not sure what the whole "girl" chat is about though, as it shouldn't really make any difference what the gender of the person controlling the character is, only their actions. I'm male but I certainly wouldn't "prove" my manliness so I don't see why anyone should prove their womanliness. They should be treated equally regardless.

I agree, no matter if someone is a girl or a guy they should be treated equally. But i think some guys think it is a free for all dating game if there is a girl playing with them lol, so they need proof before it starts haha. Sorry for the off topic :D

Welcome to the apocalipse where nobody would care of your screams anyways.

I say that one of your options in the soundboard should be:

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Edited by BrainlessZombie
  • Like 2

I agree, no matter if someone is a girl or a guy they should be treated equally. But i think some guys think it is a free for all dating game if there is a girl playing with them lol, so they need proof before it starts haha. Sorry for the off topic :D

Yeah, and although not limited to DayZ, online gamers can be creepy as fuck. Don't get me wrong if you want to flaunt it, flaunt it. The lassies who do streams and show cleavage in order to improve subscriptions and donations and if they are comfortable with that then I see no problem with them exploiting those dumb (or desperate) enough to fall for it. Personally if I was to watch a stream, and I don't, it would be because I liked the person rather than their genitalia. After all naked human bits are just a click away if that's what I wanted.

As for the interaction, and getting a little back on track, I'd certainly like to see some form of simplistic sign language incorporated. As it is you have simple gestures such as one or two handed salutes, pointing, thumbs up, etc. and although I realise each different one requires a shit lot of animations to be created for it, I think it'd be nice to expand it out to allow players to communicate at a basic level. The benefit being that it would be global rather than regional as voiced language is (admittedly most people speak some English even if it's not their native tongue). The question I suppose should be effort/reward though. No game developer is going to spend weeks of man(woman)/hour time developing a dedicated sign language when only a minority of the player base is actually going to use it. 

In the end, I do understand your frustration, and in a minor way I also have that frustration at not getting the most out of a medium, but it's just the way things are unfortunately. Well until they stick electrodes in your head and automatically translate your thoughts into speech patterns which, aside being frightening, would almost definitely get most people arrested for obscenity.

So is the soundboard a female voice, or are you letting them know you are a female? Doesn't really matter either way, it's just I've known women that intentionally used masculine pictures, and avoided admitting their sex just so people wouldn't harass them, would take them seriously, and wouldn't accuse them of faking their sex... It's pretty sad when it's easier to get people to believe a lie than the truth, and when people have to go to such extreme measures just to be a part of something.

As for the disbelief... The rational explanation may be that they feel like they're trying to be exploited or pandered to... Men having a natural weakness towards women for the most part. A guy says " don't shoot, I want to be your friend!" And it's a toss up wether you believe them or not, but a girl does it and its more like "oh my god, I can't shoot a girl, maybe she really is friendly".... Amongst other "hopeful" thoughts. So when they hear a girl or someone claims to be a girl they may feel like its some guy trying to exploit trick them... This is looking at it from a tactical and logical point of view, there is obviously in some cases a sexism, resentment towards women, or just plain jerkiness involved.

By no means am I saying that you have to hide your sex, or you have to use a male sound board... I wonder though, if a nonchalant attitude might help. Like either type or include a voice recording of: "Yeah, I'm a girl, and yeah I'm mute... So what? I don't care if you don't believe me. I'm not going to attack you unless I have to defends self and that's all that matters."

You could always shorten it just the "so what" part, Or to the "I don't care if you believe me" part. Maybe change the last part to more or less threatening options. I mean by essentially dismissing their opinion it might help show that you're just being honest about who you are and not trying to gain any advantage or trick them. Maybe save it for the doubters though because if someone really doesn't care about your sex it may seem a bit overly defensive.

--------------------------

OFF TOPIC: (update on my personal hurdles with DayZ and social anxiety; ignore/skip if you want)

a little update on my anxiety adventures. I finally spoke to someone in game; it was only one word... He was a friendly in that one town where most people seem to spawn. He had a gun with no ammo. He greeted me, followed me as I started to run and freaked out a bit wondering why I wasn't speaking.

Eventually there was voices in the distance and M4 shots. He tried to speak with the guy in the distance and tell him he's friendly. He kept asking me if I was with the M4 guy so eventually I worked up the nerve to say "nah" to which he asked why I wasn't talking since he heard my mic. I felt like telling him i just wasn't good at talking... And then he moved ahead as I was looting a building only to be shot by the Russian 'bandit' with the M4, taunting him before finishing him off:

"you're friendly? you're friendly? *Gunshots* Well I have a gun and now you are dead because I am a bandit..... Now tell me where your little friend is."

I heard no reply followed by more gunshots... It's sad because with a little more time I probably could have worked up the nerve to say more.situations like that are so rare most encounters are with KOSers, people who also don't say anything for whatever reason, or friendlies who shoot me in paranoia, or I get separated from/run away from. Before this my best experiences were with friendlies that requested me to be bait or just looted bodies and ran from sniper fire with.... Probably my own fault for the lack of interaction. I'm still trying to learn the map so a lot of time is spent wondering around the empty wilderness followed by instant panic attack when seeing the first person in 4 hours of playing.which then results in KOS by them or run away, log out by me.

Edited by Phoenix777
  • Like 2