Sign in to follow this  
dethsupport

Reloading priority

The SKS is my primary, I don't really even bother picking up other weapons unless I have nothing or I am transporting it to a bush or something to hide it from everyone else. The issue I am having is that whenever I try to interact with things reload is always the first message option that pops up. If I am drinking water at a pond you will hear me reloading like four times. It is most noticeable and troubling when I am creeping around attempting to stalk or avoid someone and I try to open or close a door and then "chuuuuukk chik chik chik chuuuuuukk". I never had this happen until I started carrying the 10 round speed clips.

My squadmate does not have this problem with the m4, mosin, revolver, fnx or sawed off (don't know about normal shotty)

Has anyone else noticed this or had it happen to them? I don't mean a few times a session, it will happen to me at literally every option and when you're under fire time is precious, I can't be wasting seconds having to scroll every single option every time. I'm trying to kick open a door to get out of the line of fire and I'm standing there like an asshat reloading a speed clip when my weapon was already 10/10.

I'd like to see reloading removed from the interactive menu, you can already reload with R manually. Just isolate it to that key - we don't need two buttons to reload.

Thoughts?

No flaming please.

I don't have this problem with the SKS.  I'm not sure what's going on on your side.  You may want to reinstall the game.  If you decide to reinstall, you shouldn't lose any of your stuff.  I recently had to reinstall Steam AND DayZ, but I still had all of my stuff and my character.

Haven't noticed and I carried the SKS for ages. Granted that I never had the 10 round clips, just loose ammo. I didn't even know that it showed up in the context menu - I assume that's only the speed clips? 

The solution would be to just limit reloading to the inventory screen as it is with everything else. I don't think it's unrealistic to have to open the menu to get your clip if it's in the pocket of your pants or whatever. It takes about a second and a half for me to open, drag rounds onto my (shiny new) mosin and click load. 

Just holster your weapon before drinking, or stop spamming drink and actually look at the options before you click.

Haven't noticed and I carried the SKS for ages. Granted that I never had the 10 round clips, just loose ammo. I didn't even know that it showed up in the context menu - I assume that's only the speed clips? 

The solution would be to just limit reloading to the inventory screen as it is with everything else. I don't think it's unrealistic to have to open the menu to get your clip if it's in the pocket of your pants or whatever. It takes about a second and a half for me to open, drag rounds onto my (shiny new) mosin and click load. 

I never had this happen before I had speed clips and depending on the situation I do reload in inventory (usually when I need to eject a few rounds, consolidate a stack and reload a fresh 10 rounds) but the issue is it keeps popping up in my interaction menu even if I'm at 10/10 and have no reason to reload. This causes excess noise when I'm moving on the fly and sound is critical for this game.

As for the realism effect, in the military you wear a molle flak vest that 98% of the military weave their mag holders onto. There is no searching or anything, just pulling a mag from its holster, not fishing through pockets. If you consider that most of the dayz population wears an assault vest you would think that in a realistic notion reloading from the vest on the fly wouldn't require poking around through your inventory.

Just holster your weapon before drinking, or stop spamming drink and actually look at the options before you click.

I'd prefer not to be a sitting duck with a holstered weapon at an obvious hot point like a fountain or having to click - scroll - click to just drink once. That would astronomically increase the amount of time necessary to drink enough to become hydrated and opens you up for ambush, especially when you consider fountains don't have any real cover or concealment around them.

EDIT - I forgot to mention it also breaks immersion incredibly. In real life I'm not sitting at every door I want to open/close or every source of water thinking "should I open this door / drink water? or should i reload my weapon - let me decide"

Edited by Dethsupport

Press F to drink, open doors search bodies and so on. The scroll wheel is useless if you have a gun.

So, F to interact.

• Like 1

Press F to drink, open doors search bodies and so on. The scroll wheel is useless if you have a gun.

So, F to interact.

You do realize F and middle mouse button do the exact same function.

The only issue is the speed reloaders adding extra option, it should be R button only to use quick reloaders.

• Like 1

The option to reload is in the action menu so that you can choose which type of ammunition you want to load. For example if you only have one speed loader it may be wise to have standard amunition already loaded and then save the speed loader for when it really matters.

I agree it's very annoying when you're trying to drink or perform another action and you have to scroll past reload every time though... In the mod you used to have to scroll past 'change weapon' every time though, so those of us that played the mod a lot are kind of used to it by now.

You do realize F and middle mouse button do the exact same function.

The only issue is the speed reloaders adding extra option, it should be R button only to use quick reloaders.

Exactly my point

The option to reload is in the action menu so that you can choose which type of ammunition you want to load. For example if you only have one speed loader it may be wise to have standard amunition already loaded and then save the speed loader for when it really matters.

I agree it's very annoying when you're trying to drink or perform another action and you have to scroll past reload every time though... In the mod you used to have to scroll past 'change weapon' every time though, so those of us that played the mod a lot are kind of used to it by now.

I never played the mod and the situation you described sounds awful. I'd definitely like to this this taken out of the interactive menus and just done through pressing R

I thoroughly agree with the original poster and for people who don't know this option ONLY shows up when you have a clip , a speed loader or a bullet clip( as in real life you wouldn't have to load bullets into the clip if its already loaded , just gotta load into the gun ) .

I myself use the "F" button as my voice over net button , so when I use my scroll wheel to use actions I HATE how the reload option shows up , it really should be removed and "R" should be the only way to reload a clip .

In my opinion having the scroll wheel clutter is annoying and unfortunately reloading fast clips plays into that scroll wheel annoyance , so unless a majority of players are truly going to miss it please remove it from the scroll wheel list as it is annoying for people who use the scroll wheel often . Like the original poster suggested it is kind of like your character wondering if he should reload whenever he thinks of drinking water or opening doors haha it's a nuisance.

Edit: for the people who are using multiple ammos, Wed have to figure some system out , maybe an ammo belt that when attached gives you this option to reload through the mouse wheel ?

Edited by Grapefruit kush

I thoroughly agree with the original poster and for people who don't know this option ONLY shows up when you have a clip , a speed loader or a bullet clip( as in real life you wouldn't have to load bullets into the clip if its already loaded , just gotta load into the gun ) .

I myself use the "F" button as my voice over net button , so when I use my scroll wheel to use actions I HATE how the reload option shows up , it really should be removed and "R" should be the only way to reload a clip .

In my opinion having the scroll wheel clutter is annoying and unfortunately reloading fast clips plays into that scroll wheel annoyance , so unless a majority of players are truly going to miss it please remove it from the scroll wheel list as it is annoying for people who use the scroll wheel often . Like the original poster suggested it is kind of like your character wondering if he should reload whenever he thinks of drinking water or opening doors haha it's a nuisance.

Edit: for the people who are using multiple ammos, Wed have to figure some system out , maybe an ammo belt that when attached gives you this option to reload through the mouse wheel ?

You shouldn't need an item to be able to choose which kind of mag you'd like to load. A setting in 'game options' that allows you to remove reloading from the action menu would make more sense.

Make sure you have the "open door" icon up, and you won't accidentally reload. That said, I think the reload options should just be removed from the context menu altogether.