Sign in to follow this  
Jaxis

Would ingame currency have a place in DayZ?

Wow, there are people in this thread who actually believe shiny metal will be worth anything if the shit hits the fan.

How much Glenn Beck style survival gold did you rubes buy? Tell us so we can laugh at you.

mws6TPr.jpg

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 3

@OP: Seriously?

Guy #1: "Hey man, here come a shitload of zombies. Hand me some bullets."

Guy #2: "Uh, I kind of traded them for this shiny golden nugget and some Ben Franks."

Guy #1: "..."

*zombies eat their faces*

Implied-Facepalm.jpg

• Like 1

I remember playing good old Fallout... The currency was caps from glass bottles... 

From my experience, in games without a standardized currency, the community tends to find a currency of their own.

Example: I'll give you two cans of beans for that shotgun

Ditto

Realistically, currency would be bullets, women, medical supplies, food---in that order.

Monetary currency in-game is a weak minded addition. It makes no sense which is why mods like Epoch and whatever other mod that has currency in it is GAF. 

I'll trade you a worn long range scope for two packs of reds and a quarter bottle of whiskey.

See how well that works? I support this.

Edited by Ineedscoffee

Realistically, currency would be bullets, women, medical supplies, food---in that order.

Monetary currency in-game is a weak minded addition. It makes no sense which is why mods like Epoch and whatever other mod that has currency in it is GAF. 

Without rule of law you might soon find men are just as valuable a commodity, men are still forced to perform manual labour for no pay in the west today. Granted, we're talking about isolated cases of men being kidnapped and forced to live in trailers under lock and key, but without the rule of law?

What use is money in a lawless/unstructured apocalypse. It's not like Fallout where civilisation has been rebuilding and reintroduced currency for trade. What use is gold or silver? You can't eat or drink it.

Edited by Owain1122

Answer, yes.

It would have a place on the floor, probably next to the rotten fruit and endless cans of soda. 

• Like 1

Answer, yes.

It would have a place on the floor, probably next to the rotten fruit and endless cans of soda. 

Nah keep it safe and dry in your pack, and use it to start the campfire.

• Like 1

I believe currency will develop naturally as the game progresses. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that ammunition will become the currency of choice across DayZ once scarcity and long term goals are implemented.

Nah keep it safe and dry in your pack, and use it to start the campfire.

or wipe your bum. 

If the health system really moves forward, and being cold and tired has a big effect on your character's ability to function, maybe matches will become valuable? I mean, bullets aren't a very stable currency, in all honesty: one big gunfight and you've caused an economic crash.

What civilization has been doing for millennia. Gold and silver, that should be implemented. As the other said, government controls the value of money usually, but that is fiat currency. Paper money. Gold and Silver will always be money, because they are physical, sound money. Would be more like, find an ounce or a few of silver carefully hidden under a bed in some random house, or in a well hidden spot in any residential area. Like someone who was stocking up on SHTF currency but got killed before he could use it.

I mean... Maybe. Honestly I would give a flying fuck about a gold chain (or brick) if I needed food or bullets. I think any currency in DayZ is dumb. The barter system works just fine.

I was wondering how currency would effect this game..

I think in certain situations it could increase and decrease KOS and allow for more trade and socialization in the game... just not sure what the currency would buy or what it would be used for.. discuss!

You give me everything you have and i'll give you two bullets.

No, no currency - what they need to do is implement some system of trading that goes beyond "I'll drop my things here - it should be visible in a minute".

Fixed or predetermined values would be rather unrealistic in a post apocalyptic world that doesn't even seem remotely close to rebuilding itself.

oh shit, fell through the floor!