Sign in to follow this  
real meatshield

gameservers.com not allowing certain text in server names?

So I havent played for a day and a half, been busy, but have been trying to stay in the loop with these forums, reddit, twitter... and have yet to hear of anything remotely involving this crap.

wtfgameservers.jpg

So, my server was renamed without my consent, nor without notification, and certain elements of my MOTD were removed, again without my consent nor notification.

Did I miss the memo, or was this snuck in without any notification? Kinda pissed off about this... crybabies bitching about server names usually whined about everything *BUT* servers with KOS in the name, so I fail to see why that would be grouped in with it- despite the fact a server name often had no direct relation on the actual server operation.

Really pisses me off because I can no longer have my crew's tag in our server title without getting clever.

I cant help, but maybe you can help me? How much is it to host a server for SA? 

About time.  First of all your are "NOT" allowed to put "NO KOS, PVE ONLY, KICK FOR <INSERT REASON HERE> or PRIVATE" as per DayZ's server rules.  

• Like 4

I cant help, but maybe you can help me? How much is it to host a server for SA? 

Too much.  Approximately $70+ US for only a 30 man

Too much. Approximately $70+ US for only a 30 man

servers are expensive especially the internet bandwidth cost and power fee's

About time.  First of all your are "NOT" allowed to put "NO KOS, PVE ONLY, KICK FOR <INSERT REASON HERE> or PRIVATE" as per DayZ's server rules.  

Server rules dictate not DOING those things, they say nothing about naming your server that way. Servers named "24/7 Night" almost always have daytime hours, for example. What the server name says ought to be irrelevant in light of that fact.

The error he gives shows a blanket statement, that was probably automated. It doesn't say its checking for 'kick for' it just says kick. I played on Kick Ass Noobs' servers across several games and that would be likely be changed if they wanted to do Dayz. They really should be manually checking for false positives. If it happens with the same customer multiple times just ban them but still they are customers that shouldn't be screwed over. Had it happen to me on a different game. Paid up for the month a couple days before when I didn't just have my name changed but my server turned off and my contract voided because the server read 'Welcome to Hogscraper's" and found rape. I ended up getting my server back a week later but if they were bothering to check, it wouldn't have happened and I wouldn't have changed providers. I don't even bother using my in game name on forums any more because a lot of them flag it as inappropriate.

Server rules dictate not DOING those things, they say nothing about naming your server that way. Servers named "24/7 Night" almost always have daytime hours, for example. What the server name says ought to be irrelevant in light of that fact.

I've seen a post saying you are not even allowed to promote "PvE only servers or No KoS servers", Ill update my post if I find that thread again. But tbf it sucks if you have a server named "KoS" as a guild name or "KoS allowed" ect to get shutdown because you used that word..

Yes but creating a server under such false pretenses can create undo back-channel grumblings, as well as useless whining on the forums from players who join a server expecting such, and then are KoS'd and nothing is done about it. That way we don't have to deal with them coming in here and starting "Omg I got KoS'd on a no PvP server! WTF! OMG SOMEONE BAN HIM!"

Not to mention no one should be complaining about these restrictions. With the rules the way they are there's no need for those terms in a server name

Yes but creating a server under such false pretenses can create undo back-channel grumblings, as well as useless whining on the forums from players who join a server expecting such, and then are KoS'd and nothing is done about it. That way we don't have to deal with them coming in here and starting "Omg I got KoS'd on a no PvP server! WTF! OMG SOMEONE BAN HIM!"

Not to mention no one should be complaining about these restrictions. With the rules the way they are there's no need for those terms in a server name

That may be true, but the blanket blocking of those words prevents me from accurately promoting my server, when the use of KoS is clearly not in the spirit of that which they are trying to prevent. 

Thats where my bitch comes from, aside from the fact there was never any warning or notification.

I might be blamed, i reported some insta kick / private looting servers to gameservers.com, but since they pop up faster then go away, i have resorted to mailing bohemia as soon as i see one.

Gameservers says, via their forums, that this is in response to a request by BI.

If that is the case, why has there been no announcement made, or an update to the server hosting guidelines been made? At the time I( rented the server, there was no stipulation on hostname conventions other than having regular/hardcore in the title as well as version number. To this day, there still isn't.

If it is coming officially from Bohemia, then I would assume they would also accompany this mandate with an announcement. Otherwise, it feels like gameservers is blowing smoke up my ass.

no. first of all: that is just fucking bullshit ..you are not allowed to impose those "things" on your server. and that is very and also totally different from the crap you posted... iodit

My server was named [KoS] Kill on Sight Crew, Always Midday. Our website was spammed in the MOTD- kill-on-sight.net/forum. Our motto is No Negotiations - No Prisoners - No Remorse.

Aside from the fact that what you posted is entirely inaccurate and false, where in my squad name, or server name, do I alludeto the fact that we kick for clan members, or allow no pvp, or infer that it is a private loot farm? Jesus H fucking Christ some of you people are entirely lacking in reading comprehension.

It's a shame you have fallen victim to this OP, but you should be blaming the people who tried to make dodgy servers.

• Like 1

There can always be exceptions to the rule. No harm in explaining your situation to them.

As a general rule any server with those terms in it I report instantly.  I'm glad they're finally enforcing this on people. 

There can always be exceptions to the rule. No harm in explaining your situation to them.

This.  I don't see a reason to have PvE or KoS in your name, but if your clan was called KoS or something or, as he said, you had a specific situation that required that phrase in your server name I'm sure they'll think about it.

Though they allow ban appeals too.  Which means that anyone caught cheating has the opportunity to dispute it to try and save themselves 30$ even though they know they were cheating.  So I wouldn't expect them to look too closely at a request but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Why would you need "PvE", "private", "KoS" or "kick" in your server name?  These usually indicate servers that kick people who join either for PvPing or for joining in general because the admins want a nice little private server in which to gear up.

I understand your clan is called KoS but unfortunately it is douchebags who have spoilt things for the majority.

Maybe your crew should change their name to Shoot on Sight - because it always cracks me up that players say they are KoS  - as if they never miss a shot.

• Like 1

Why would you need "PvE", "private", "KoS" or "kick" in your server name?  These usually indicate servers that kick people who join either for PvPing or for joining in general because the admins want a nice little private server in which to gear up.

I understand your clan is called KoS but unfortunately it is douchebags who have spoilt things for the majority.

Maybe your crew should change their name to Shoot on Sight - because it always cracks me up that players say they are KoS  - as if they never miss a shot.

I don't feel like buying more domain names, or having to tell the crew that we have to change because some uptight crybabies forced a blanket judgement on us, just because of our clan tag.

I want to know why they cant implement a whitelist. I want to know why there is no official announcement of this decision, despite gameservers own forum admin claiming that this was mandated by Bohemia. I want to know why he lied and said that there were emails sent, but wont even copy/paste the contents of the email for those of us who never got the alleged email.

To me the whole situation smells of bullshit and butthurt.