Rick1633

Why putting heart attacks in game makes no sense

Are you all completely fucked? I mean can you realy be this stupid? It's not going to happen because you ate to many cans of beans or ran to hard. It's going to be a condition from going into shock. Getting shot to almost death, beaten within an inch of your life. Loosing massive amounts of blood.

How on gods blue earth are you so incompetent that you think your just going to be walking around and randomly have A heart attack out of the blue?

A defibrillator is an electrical device that provides a shock to the heart when there is a life-threatening arrhythmia present. The arrhythmia that we worry about is called ventricular fibrillation. This is a very rapid erratic beating of the heart. Multiple parts of pacemakers in the heart starts sort of beating erratically and the heart can't rhythmically contract. And what the defibrillator does, it provides shock that basically shocks the heart to stop so that it can start rhythmically contracting again.

We've seen in the movies and on TV where they put these big paddles on the chest and shock the chest, that's an external defibrillator. We have internal defibrillators. these are devices that are again pacemakers that can be put under the chest wall, wires are put inside the heart, and rather than having a big shock outside the chest, there's actually a good size shock that goes inside the heart muscle again that stops the heart from this life-threatening rhythm and shocks the heart to get it to start beating rhythmically and regularly again. It's an incredibly life-saving tool that is literally saving thousands of lives a year in the United States.

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 2

Are you all completely fucked? I mean can you realy be this stupid? It's not going to happen because you ate to many cans of beans or ran to hard. It's going to be a condition from going into shock. Getting shot to almost death, beaten within an inch of your life. Loosing massive amounts of blood.

How on gods blue earth are you so incompetent that you think your just going to be walking around and randomly have A heart attack out of the blue?

Geez, calm down guy. Want me to tear my shirt into rags for your period?

• Like 1

Someone said they're character died from a heart attack just looting buildings. No combat, no eating anything bad. I'm going to use Epinephrine on my character if he ever suffers a heart attack. Just to spite it.

Yeah, if it happened, it was a bug. He said it happened on stable which doesn't have the system in place.

I don't like the idea either if in fact it means I can no longer take shots and survive or run the map to get from one side to the other... I mean (ok I get it you want to test it first) but if they had vehicles the map run wouldn't be an issue find a gas can and a car put gas in car repair if needed and drive but that's not an option and it takes what about 40 minutes of running to get from one side to the other... now I might die because of it and then end up on the shore with no way to run back to my corpse because i will die of a heart attack trying to get back to it...

Again, doubtful. The only official word on it was that it was a complication of bringing a player back after a severe wound, not something that would happen from running around.

Someone i heard from was dead in minutes after reading something like " my heart feels irregular" or something.. :o

i was reading something about heart attacks in this forum and no one has a clue how to fix it... ^_^

in real life when ur heart goes out of the rythmus and u ar about to die, the rescue guy uses a Defibrilator, to shock and bring ur heart back into the rythmus.

normal people thinking that a Defibrilator is only for bringing u back into life but thats false, a defibrilator cant bring u back when ur heartbeat is about 0. :(

So i think it is usefull to fix ur heartbeatproblem in the game by using a defibrilator.... ;)

hope it is a bug in the game caus defibrilators ar rare in the game :lol:

• Like 1

Someone said they're character died from a heart attack just looting buildings. No combat, no eating anything bad. I'm going to use Epinephrine on my character if he ever suffers a heart attack. Just to spite it.

I proved the OP wrong in his thread and he was trolled by server messages.  That thread is now closed.  Thank you come again.

The defibrillator will work, but only if the patient is fibrillating. If the patient's heart has completely stopped, a different treatment is required. I might say epiniphrine, as it increases heart rate.

Why do these threads exist?  DayZ is not a CoD/BF/ARMA game.  It's suppose to kick your ass and make you think about your choices.  Right now we have it easy as we're are "TESTING" features that are in the game right now and we are to "TEST" further features as they get added.  I for one think the heart attack feature is awesome and sorry rambo folks, guess you should try and make friends and stop killing people if you need medical aid.

use a defibrilator fixes ur heart problems in the game.....

I don't like heart attacks either. It just doesn't seem to make sense. It completely screws over any solo players, as the only way to stay alive when you get one is to have someone else use the defiblirator on you. If people want to claim realism, we are talking about a game where you treat multiple gunshot wounds simply by bandaging and then regenerating for a hour or so. What is realistic about that? How about organs that get damaged? If that were to happen the only way to survive would be through surgery, which would be impossible in the world of DayZ. There are some things you simply don't put in to keep the game playable, this is one of them.

Like what Naraga said it's not good for solo players. I'd say a lot of us enjoy the challenge of playing solo. Especially for me taking down scumbag clan members who have a track record in these forums for abusing the servers. 1 v 2+ > needing a babysitter with a defibrillator. 

Edited by SeekerScorpio

What I meant to say was...

There are no heart attacks. The end.

It likely won't impact solo players as it only happens when you've reached a condition in which you wouldn't have been able to recover from yourself anyway.

You are Unconscious

<Heart Problems Here>

You are Dead

It likely won't impact solo players as it only happens when you've reached a condition in which you wouldn't have been able to recover from yourself anyway.

You are Unconscious

<Heart Problems Here>

You are Dead

I'm actually curious if people have been using or got a epi-pen used on them? It says one of the side of effects is irregular heartbeat. Aren't you able to defibrillator out of it though? I never got to test this in experimental and probably never will (due to the whole solo'ing concept).

Where to start; the idea of using an AED on an unconscious person is ludicrous. The DEV team is on a slippery slope of realism. You would have to determine why said person is unconscious. Time for a lesson in medicine.

Look at the contents of a crash cart, epinephrine, atropine, nitroglycerine, etc. The complexities of using an AED or whatnot are far beyond most players scope. An AED(defibrillator) is used to treat someone in V-FIB; Ventrical Fibrilation, or V-TACH. Ventricular tachycardia; rapid heart beat in the ventricles(bottom chamber of the heart.) The idea of using an AED on an unconscious person is stupid.  If someone goes into V-FIB or V-TACH, you should be able to attempt a Precordial thump(an outdated practice of basically jabbing someone in the chest in lieu of an AED(no defibrillator)). This can have the risk of making their situation worse, causing more damage or just plain old not working.

Basically DayZ needs a crash-cart, or the supplies scattered around. When someones heart actually is stopped they use atropine/epinephrine/Sodium Bicarbonate. I'm not going to give you a full on lesson, so here is some from Wikipedia:

Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) drugs such as epinephrine, atropine, amiodarone, lidocaine, sodium bicarbonate, dopamine, and vasopressin

First line drugs for treatment of common problems such as: adenosine, dextrose, diazepam or midazolam, epinephrine for IM use, naloxone, nitroglycerin, and others.

As, I said, It's a slippery slope of realism. Say if you give them too much morphine, they become unconscious. For this situation you would administer Narcan(nalaxone), it counteracts the affects of opiates on your body so you can breathe again. IDK if that diabetes thing for experimental build with all sorts of things like asthma was legit, but this ties in.

Your lesson ends here, but seriously, just think of the complexity of this system that would be needed to make it fair and adequate.

Much more is needed, but simply: YOU DON'T 'SHOCK' A DEAD PERSON BACK TO LIFE
Also, if you are remotely touching someone you fibrillate, ZAAAAP. You can get an arrhythmia yourself.

I don't find anything wrong with it atm, considering how new it is and how little it has been tested.

But using your scroll wheel to see if someone has a pulse and if it's irregular then you can use the defib to bring them back seems fine to me.

Not perfect, but better than it was, before.....not working at all.

• Like 1

YOU DON'T 'SHOCK' A DEAD PERSON BACK TO LIFE

You can't and never will be able to do as you stated above in game. A dead person is dead period.

The defibrillator will be used to stabilize someone in game having a heart attack. Currently it is working the same was as an epipen because heart attacks haven't been implemented just yet. Once they are these tools will have different purposes I believe.

From what I understand a heart attack in game can happen when your shock value increases over your blood value. The heart attack does not kill the person but it probably can and will be fatal without immediate external aid in the form of another player using a defibrillator on you, which is far different then resurrecting a dead player.

What I meant to say was...

There are no heart attacks. The end.

this is false. Rocket tweeted me himself stating that there ARE heart attacks and that only a defibrillator can fix them.

You can't and never will be able to do as you stated above in game. A dead person is dead period.

The defibrillator will be used to stabilize someone in game having a heart attack. Currently it is working the same was as an epipen because heart attacks haven't been implemented just yet. Once they are these tools will have different purposes I believe.

From what I understand a heart attack in game can happen when your shock value increases over your blood value. The heart attack does not kill the person but it probably can and will be fatal without immediate external aid in the form of another player using a defibrillator on you, which is far different then resurrecting a dead player.

I was explaining that. There is such a hassle if they went for realism. You would need to have it happen with a medic on hand. If the defibrillator doesnt work, then other methods need to be used. The standard is 1 standardized epinephrine syringe 1mg/10ml every 3-5 minutes with CPR. That's if your AED doesn't work or you don't have one. I think it would be cool if you could extract atropine from like nightshade and jimson weed. Suspiciously well placed belladonna bush near your buddy having a heart attack xD

I was explaining the actual mechanics of it. When someone is dead, they are asystole, flatlined, no heart rhythm. You cannot shock someone back to life. YOU CAN HOWEVER, administer CPR and epinephrine at an algorithm. All of it so complex, I think your buddy would give up on attempting resuscitation.

Topics merged.

3 Topics concerning heart attacks is unnecessary and just clutters the Forums.

Use the Search Tool or take the time to look through the Forums before making a Topic.

And this is why Dean Hall is my favourite developer. He pays attention to details which actually make a game stand out from the rest. He's one of the very few that can see past the core mechanics of a game. I am all for heart attacks and what not.

• Like 1

All that tears in this forum and I have no Jungle boots...damn I will get SO damn wet feet and die of....a heart attack because of it? o.O

If you forgot already what rocket tweetet:

AvKwKCF.png

And scurvy sounds to me like a great idea - my char lives off uncooked rice and milkpowder....So the hunt for the oranges and kiwis begins...even rotton ones become precious (if they don't make you sick 100% of the time)...and Zluta Klasik Soda with Lemon! ;)

ahm...where was I...let's see when, how often and under what circumstances haeart attacks occur before we burn down the house, hm? Maybe they nmake sense after all... :)

• Like 2

"The complexities of using an AED or whatnot are far beyond most players scope."

umm yeah maybe back in the 1900's, today the AED do all the work, even an 8 year old can handle it, the AED do all the heart monitoring all you have to do is place the pads as the picture says and press the button to chock when it tells you to, hell it even tells you to do CPR.

Edited by goDecapS