DayzForumer

Did you really put in heart attacks?

I figured that this would mostly be something to do with going into shock, and then subsequently undergoing cardiac arrest?

I never suspected random heart attacks, but whatever...

People have heart attacks all the time as a result of horrible accidents or injuries, if you'd like to know more I would recommend scrolling up/back and reading some of the replies I already made over the last page or two.

Yeah sure, getting shot or otherwise suffering grievous bodily injury would most likely kill you in a DayZ environment, i`m just against the idea that you up and die from som random denominator over which you have little control. I mean sure you could develop heart issues from a bad diet, but not over the timespan of days or even months and by then you`re most likely dead anyways. I mean, I`ve had periods where I`ve eaten pizza, kebabs and hamburgers all the time, but i`m still not dead. 

Yeah sure, getting shot or otherwise suffering grievous bodily injury would most likely kill you in a DayZ environment, i`m just against the idea that you up and die from som random denominator over which you have little control. I mean sure you could develop heart issues from a bad diet, but not over the timespan of days or even months and by then you`re most likely dead anyways. I mean, I`ve had periods where I`ve eaten pizza, kebabs and hamburgers all the time, but i`m still not dead. 

Where do you, and other posters, get the idea that you will just have a heart attack completely at random while running around and taking care of your usual business? I play mostly on experimental hardcore nowadays and have not encountered this at all, and I usually run everywhere because it still doesn't affect energy/hydration.

I suspect it'll only kick in when your shock level is at some critical point, by which point you'd likely already be unconscious.

3? Out of tens of thousands (Or more based on your country)? This is a zombie apocalypse not a battlefield, nor are we in the fucking desert. You're a fucking moron, a piece of shit, and a hypocrite. YOU don't breed you're far too fucking stupid. Fucking retarded CoD kiddies these days.

(Yeah, I know I'll probably get in trouble for this. Hes still a fucking idiot.)

You are the epitome of everything you called him.

But yeah, I'd like to see them actually start improving the gameplay, mainly zombies walking through walls, before adding silly things such as heart attacks.

Edited by SwitchSL

You are a fit person. You cannot die from a heart attack, you cannot die randomly from heart failure. The first thing that happens is that you pass out.

Hey, hey, relax, you're going to give yourself a heart attack or something.  :o

• Like 1

For the record, I think heart attacks are a very realistic addition, and I would be incredibly distraught if removed. I am really digging Dean's vision for this game right now.

Edited by Esolu

If I've understood the various bits of information I've seen and heard correctly, heart attacks are not an additional way for the game to kill you: they are a more detailed mechanism for already-implemented methods of killing you.

Currently, you get hit by a bullet or a melee weapon or a zombie, or you fall off a roof, and you either die or go unconscious or stay alive with a broken limb and bleed or whatever. Now, the injury system is getting more fleshed out, so blood loss and blood pressure changes caused by your injury may in turn cause a heart attack if you're not treated. It's making medical revival more detailed, with more variables involved. It's means having a knowledgeable medic on hand is more useful - you need to know how to treat someone who's been badly hurt, and you can use certain kit or actions accordingly. If you find someone unconscious and you want to revive them, there won't be any generic method of doing so - you'll have to know why they are unconscious, what their injuries are, what treatment is appropriate and what treatment might do further damage.

A heart attack is not just going to kill you because you've been running around a lot and eating crap food: that would be stupid.

• Like 1

If I've understood the various bits of information I've seen and heard correctly, heart attacks are not an additional way for the game to kill you: they are a more detailed mechanism for already-implemented methods of killing you.

Currently, you get hit by a bullet or a melee weapon or a zombie, or you fall off a roof, and you either die or go unconscious or stay alive with a broken limb and bleed or whatever. Now, the injury system is getting more fleshed out, so blood loss and blood pressure changes caused by your injury may in turn cause a heart attack if you're not treated. It's making medical revival more detailed, with more variables involved. It's means having a knowledgeable medic on hand is more useful - you need to know how to treat someone who's been badly hurt, and you can use certain kit or actions accordingly. If you find someone unconscious and you want to revive them, there won't be any generic method of doing so - you'll have to know why they are unconscious, what their injuries are, what treatment is appropriate and what treatment might do further damage.

A heart attack is not just going to kill you because you've been running around a lot and eating crap food: that would be stupid.

So much this.

I think people are failing understand the mechanics behind the causes because they truly haven't been figured out, or even had it explained them. But I truly think you have explained how I imagined the system working as well.

I can imagine triage's after firefights, and rushing to save friends. But it won't be generic, as you mentioned. It will be more of a factor of who has the medical knowledge to determine how to fix him in a short amount of time. Right now it's just a matter of checking a pulse and determining if the patient needs and epi-pen for unconsciousness(regular heartbeat), or a defib for a heart-attack(irregular heartbeat). Pretty simple right now, but I can see the potential with the addition of CPR and other things.

Have you ever shot someone down that killed your friend(s)? Well, here's your chance to bring them back if they aren't dead. Slap the cuffs on them for some shit talking, and burlap sack torturing.

The potential is huge.

• Like 1

Agreed! It's added depth. In the mod, it was get shot, loose blood, bandage, blood bag and morphine if you had broken legs, and I'm all fixed, good to go, no fucks given! 

Now, the effort needed to get yourself back to a healthy status is much large. Get shot, loose blood, saline, blood bag and slowly regen health, manage character to prevent a heart attack or disease (when more are in the game) morphine if got broken legs and basically carefully move around the place, giving an actual fuck about your character to get him back to full health. In many ways, the SA is too easy. Sprinting around everywhere for kilometres on end when in both the mod and real life, you can sprint for about 200 metres or so then you'll slowly drop down to a kind of jogging pace at around 400-500 metres. Obviously not everything is going to be spot on realistic as at the end of the day, it's a game. But it's a survival game, so things are going to be put in and work in a certain way that would make sense, without being outside the limitations of what the game can do. 

This added depth just increases the experience of the game, and it's rewards getting through the shit it throws at you. I mean the firefights in the mod used to be pretty epic, especially when a couple of people are on the brink of death, come out the other side and get blood bagged up. Imagine how that would be now when someone looses a shit ton of blood, has a heart attack and yet you still manage to keep him alive and get him healthy again after the winning the fight. A lot of the fear of heart attacks at the moment comes from people not knowing how it works, and I don't want the devs to tell us. The best thing about DayZ is learning how new mechanics work and discovering it for ourselves. I'm sure many people are doing this already, but jump on experimental and do some research into it. Not only will it help yourself, if you share that information and others want to read it, you'll be helping them too. 

I'm all up for realism being put into DayZ SA, but perhaps these "Heart-attacks" won't be so prevalent as we are thinking during gameplay, perhaps if you keep your players healthy/energized/hydrated (bright green.) you won't fall prey to these types of real-life conditions, but you should have some status effects that clue you in to your players possibly having a heart attack, maybe something like, "your chest feels tight, and you develope a sharp pain in your arm." ect. Maybe then things like painkillers and multivitamins and such will be of use and those things will subdue your player having a heart attack and dying.

I can see the day of the "lonewolf" coming to an end, when your going to have to have someone who is dedicated at bringing along extra meds/supplies to keep people alive...

The heart attack addition would only be ok if they also added an "unhealthy" status for players who only drink soda and eat unhealthy food. Other than that, a random chance of heart attack for all tipes of players would only increase rage quitting and general quitting of the game. I didn't pay 24 euro's to get a heart attack.
I have a defibrilator in my chest because I had a cardiorespiratory arrest when I was 17 years old. I have been going to the gym before and after my surgery and also started jogging 30 minutes a day since a month ago. I am 20 years old now and haven't suffered from heart problems ever since. But seeing my character that has a healthy status randomly die from a heart attack would make me smash my screen with my keyboard and make me have one as well.
PLEASE DON'T IMPLEMENT THIS!

Edited by Boogyman93

The heart attack addition would only be ok if they also added an "unhealthy" status for players who only drink soda and eat unhealthy food. Other than that, a random chance of heart attack for all tipes of players would only increase rage quitting and general quitting of the game. I didn't pay 24 euro's to get a heart attack.

I suspect that you didn't read the thread before posting.

Heres a video where Dean explains checking pulse and the defib.

Skip to 8:55

http://www.twitch.tv/sacriel/c/3713052

Listen to him carefully he says the way it is now is just that..."for now" plus there adding CPR and blood pressure kits and more.

Not to mention that at 11:00 Dean says, at the moment you only get the heart attack while you're unconscious.

Does the heart attack put you into an unconcious state for a short period of time? This could be a use for the defibrulator.

If it's currently an instant death then that just sucks I guess, but I think your character should be notified that there is a sharp pain in their chest or something, so that way you would know that a heart attack is iminent and you'll need a friend to quickly find a defibrulator. Cool ideas :)

Oh and I'd love to see some evidence of this happening because I haven't experienced this one yet.

You do not know much about medicine, do you? Heart attack means that the heart goes into cardiac arrest and stops pumping blood. It's like cramps in a muscle, it hurts, and if you don't get help (sit up or straighten the muscle out), it might get worse.

I would like to see it occur only in the following scenarios

1. Getting shot/stabbed, while you might make it away or even defeat your attacker a lot of times people die afterwords even while receiving modern medical care

2. running too far, the fact that you can run all over the map with no consequence(its far too easy to find food and water) is ridiculous. 

I dont want heart attacks to be a totally random thing

As for the "cant I walk around chewing on asprin" sure but then you'll just have to deal with liver failure instead which would be far worse in dayz scenario. 

That's true about liver failure. In DayZ time you would have cancer and die in 45 minutes after spawning. Since you already eat 35,838 calories a day and drink 84L of fluids.