GodOfGrain

Some people misunderstand *broken legs / morphin*

Many people criticize the current way of "broken legs - morphin":

1. It is criticized that it is unrealistic

2. A broken leg can be your death without morphin.

3. Legs often break trough glitches

These things are true. But the whole thing is not about "broken legs and morphin".

Here you guys are wrong.

In reality there a a thousand things which could go wrong.

A small scratch on your skin could infect.

You could get life-threatening diarrhea.

You could stumble running down a hill or in the forest, sprain your ankle, tore a ligament.

And yes, you could slip out on a ladder and with the weight of your backpack you break your leg.

All of this would bring you into a fuckin shithole. You would get desperate, you would try to solve your problem somehow. You would get unreasonable, make mistakes, take risks.

"Breaking a leg" simulates these problems. We dont have many problems, we just have this one and its magical cure.

Both incident and cure are not realistic. But they don't have to be. It is not about a realistic game in every aspect. The game wants players to have strong emotions.

Here I can only speak for myself, but this *leg - morphin* thing raises emotions in me. If I am running around in the North with no Morphin left in my backpack, I feel the danger. How do I get it? Have to go back to the major cities; who knows if I come out alive from these death traps.

My friend had a broken leg. Cherno was closest, I had to go back. A sharpshooter on a roof ended my life.

Happend to myself, all on my own in the north. A zombie, a ladder, proning between to pinetreas: *crack*. No Morphin. Shit. What can I do. Evaluated options. Tried to call unknown people for help. Craweld to two dearstands I knew about. Craweld to the next small city; got swarmed, death.

I believe the current system already perfectly does what it wants to do. Don't think about it in terms of "broken bone - morphin" so much. If you break your leg between two pinetrees, don't think about how this happend. Just imagine something. Hey, nothing did happen to you when you ran down the the hill with 30kg on your back and on top speed.

It is just a place holder for all the shit that could happen to you, that would drive you into desperation, which forces you to prepare and react, which let you get weak and die.

Of course there is nothing wrong with expanding this area (E.g. the illness system), to get rid of bugs and refine it over all (e.g. leg does not break this often but a broken arm has stronger effect than now). But the concept in general is correct in my opinion. It is no issue for me that morphin is unrealistic. And with a bit of phantasy you won't get so angry if you break your legs with a pinetree glitch :)

If the icon was changed from a broken bone to something like a face in pain with lightning-like pain lines coming out of it, I think it would make a lot more sense to people.

Good suggestion Gibbonici, and I agree with the OP. Players are nitpicking anyway.

I have yet to actually be in a situation where my leg was broken, I always just die to the second shot because desync says I was standing still the whole time.

Get out with this suspension of belief, emotions bullshit. Rocket needs to add casts and other stuff for broken legs. I only expect realism.

Get out with this suspension of belief' date=' emotions bullshit. Rocket needs to add casts and other stuff for broken legs. I only expect realism.

[/quote']

*points to sig*

Basically right now morphine is being used as the throttle to create a more difficult experience. I am looking forward to see how this evolves.

And yes' date=' you could slip out on a ladder and with the weight of your backpack you break your leg[/quote']

This happened to me last night... I'm never climbing into a deer stand ever again.

If the icon was changed from a broken bone to something like a face in pain with lightning-like pain lines coming out of it' date=' I think it would make a lot more sense to people.

[/quote']

THIS - solves some of the symptoms, not the random glitchy bone breaking though. Once you know what to be aware of, those are pretty much avoidable as well.

Too bad you can't "upvote" specific posts.

All this talk about realism and unman first of all ITS A GAME everything cant be realistic cause really that would take way to much work. I agree most people dont understand that the broken leg mechanic is there to make the game more difficult so you NEED to go to populated cities and have the risk of dieing to actually survive. Second is for everyone complaining about broken legs from glitches yeshis is a problem but its still alpha and there will be glitches just keep giving feedbakc on them (I don't mean posting on the forums saying "THIS DOESNT WORK FIX THIS NAO!!!!!!).

This is a really intriguing way of looking at the mechanic, and I'm glad you brought this insight to this forum. I'll link this for further reading whenever I see a thread complaining about this part of the game again.

I love these threads about the broken legs and morphine that are clearly written by people who havent had 4 team members with broken legs on the west end of the map (no hospitals) and no morphine.

Broken leg + splint = non broken leg, would make more sense, say use your axe to get wood then right click the wood pile and have a splint leg option. more realistic then OH GOD MY LEG, hold up guys while i satisfy my morphine addiction

Whenever one of us gets a broken leg and nobody has morphine, the one with broken leg kills himself and has to make it back to his stuff while the other waits. It's a hell of a lot faster and safer than looking for morphine.

Ever since I nearly incapacitated myself proning next to a tree (something we always do all the time!), we are afraid of proning next to trees now. We also stay the feck out of the way of gates and doors ever since I horribly mangled myself trying to open one.

heh you know how sometimes when you try to prone, your character will run a few steps forward and dive to the ground? I once saw a guy on a roof dive straight off of it. I'm pretty sure he did that by accident, but damn was it funny. Morphine could not save him :(

I know a ton of people have already said this, but:

Next time you die just head for the nearest hospital. Me and my friends have stacked up 13 morphine injectors and we're ready to face the glitches head on, and all the hilarity that ensues.

It'll make your alphatesting alittle less "problematic"

Also, they are working on it.