l mandrake

Suggestion to prolong interest/reduce KoS: different game phases

Idea for the future development of DayZ SA:

Right now DayZ is forever 'stuck' in the early days/weeks of the apocalypse, evidenced by the plentiful loot, functioning power grid (street lights still on) and low Zed count.

But what if different servers could be set to different phases of the apocalypse? You obviously start as a Bambi on a Phase 1 server, then if you survive x days or even weeks the next login takes you to a Phase 2 server. Here there is rarer loot, no street lighting, rotting rubbish and disease epidemics, more Zeds and generally survival is more challenging.

Phase 3 could be an even bleaker existence or could involve new items, features (e.g. labs researching a cure?) and even events (e.g. military overflights/supply drops?) that make players really strive to get there and experience them, adding vastly increased value to life and survival in DayZ. Imagine seeing an armed player and knowing that fighting and dying could set you back weeks of game-time.

Obviously players could just keep fighting and dying on the phase 1 servers if they so choose. The rest of us would be determined to survive and 'graduate' to later phases to experience more of what the DayZ world has to terrorise us with.

I realise this is just a crude outline and the practical details are sorely missing e.g. how to stop server admins messing with their server's game phase, but I'd really like to know what the community thinks of this idea in principle *dons flame-proof suit*

TL:DR: never mind; this post is not aimed at you :)

Edited by Mandrake
  • Like 2

Very interesting idea but im not entirely sure how you would implement it. The X days so you go to a different game type would be interesting for sure but.

At first I thought, this must be a nice idea. 

But then I realized, that it would make it impossible for me to team up with my friends, if they respawned or I just survived for a few days more on this hive, before we play together. 

I there'd be an extra-"levelup"-hive, it could be nice though. 

• Like 1

I like this idea as long as it's optional to play whatever phase you want (no strict game-based requirements...of course private servers can do as they please in this regard).  Something like this would add depth to the experience.

Dunno about the idea of different server phases, perhaps just different areas of the map, where you have to work your way into the more difficult/good gear areas because of the zombie and environment difficulty?

Also I do REALLY like the idea of airdrops.  One of few things Rust does quite well is provide the occasional airdrop.  this would encourage players to get out and explore more,  ut also would satisfy the KOS lusts of those players who like to shoot a lot as airdrops on high pop servers would become death zones!  o.O

Seems like a decent idea at first glance, but as mentioned, if one of your friends died you would be unable to play with them. Also, when I build a base, will it hop servers with me?

I think it should be optional to jump in time. Maybe this is where them there beards come in? Phase 2 would have less bandits and kos and 3 would have almost none since they obviously value their lives. Dont force people though. I love this idea.

How about this:

Servers are linked into chains of 4 that form small "worlds". You need to survive getting to the other end of the server (far west) to unlock a gate to the next server where risk / reward is slightly bigger on both ends. When you die you can opt to respawn in the east in any of the 4 servers, provided you unlocked them. You can log into all level 1 servers and servers you unlocked but only on either end of the server (west or east) if you unlocked the next server. If you havnt unlocked the next server yet, you must spawn in the east.

Depending on how well the 4 servers can share tasks, more might be possible on the 4th server regarding Z and bases. This prolly makes the 4th server the hotspot leaving the other 3 more resources to support it.

There could be custom length chains. (4 is just an example)

At first I thought, this must be a nice idea.

But then I realized, that it would make it impossible for me to team up with my friends, if they respawned or I just survived for a few days more on this hive, before we play together.

I there'd be an extra-"levelup"-hive, it could be nice though.

Fair point, but IMO DayZ is all about tough choices. If your friend dies on Phase 2 then you're all alone until he makes it back in a week or so. Can you imagine the increased fear and feeling of isolation resulting from that? And the elation when you finally meet again? In a computer game? Amazing.

And wouldn't this increased sense of loss just make you more paranoid and determined to protect each other? Wouldn't the value of all players' lives go up for all but the most sociopathic/immature among us?

Of course, if you're only interested in social gaming (is DayZ really for you?) you could always suicide and rejoin your buddy in Phase 1, but come on, would you always have friends around in a real apocalypse?

Edited by Mandrake

Seems like a decent idea at first glance, but as mentioned, if one of your friends died you would be unable to play with them. Also, when I build a base, will it hop servers with me?

Not sure if it would be possible to transfer assets across servers - but if they are saved as player equipment it could work.