mrperson666

Broken bones, no morphine, not fun.

At the game start now, if I don't have morphine and I get a broken bone, then for all practical purposes it's game over, time to respawn.

And unfortunately, because of the likelyhood of having no gun or a gun with no ammo, broken bones are common. And having no morphine is also common.

I'm tired of games where I crawl around carefully for an hour searching for guns and ammo, finally getting a gun and a little ammo, and then getting a broken bone from a zombie attack. I can be healthy, have some other great stuff, but an hour of effort is down the drain.

The broken bone mechanic sucks when you spawn without morphine. It'd be much more playable if you spawned with morphine instead of painkillers. Shaking a little is fine, but reducing starting players to a crawl when they're already at such a huge disadvantage makes no gameplay sense.

I always make it my priority to run through a hospital before I head inland. I just grab 4 or 5 and stuff it in my bag.

Yeah, that's fine if you spawn anywhere near a hospital, and it isn't being camped by bandits after the giddy thrill of killing easy targets. Those are big ifs.

I also agree painkillers should be swapped for morphine, combined with the fact you start with no gun. I don't mind not starting with a gun, but no starting morphine is pretty rough in my opinion, just due to the randomness of getting one shot broken/KO'd at high blood.

Also, I wish bone breaking bugs would be addressed first, second only to performance fixes. If bone breaking was downtuned that would be nice too (getting bones broken at 9k blood from a lucky hit is pretty much game over without a morphine).

It might have been my imagination, but I thought I was over 9k blood and had been knocked out from one hit before too (either a bug or I misread it).

Maybe if it only could occur at 5k or 6k blood and under it wouldn't be so random. Getting owned in one hit from 75% health just feels way too bursty.

I'd like to hear some others views on bone breaking as well.

There are tons of threads on this my friend:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=19566

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20372

etc, etc

I haven't found one person who was fine with the current "broken limb" mechanic, other than the people who haven't respawned in a while or are veterans of the game and now how to run to the nearest hospital, load up, and take off without a zombie train or a sniper rifle shot to the face.

another nice solution, would be if you could take the painkillers, and it would help, though, you wouldn't be able to run, and got the shakes, and afther 30-40 mins, you'd need a nother round of meds to keep on going ;) til you got an injection, or 3-4 hours gameplay, with painkillers used as mentioned

I would like some kind of dynamic that is more realistic. Morphine is just a painkiller, it doesn't magically cure broken legs. I mentioned something in my other thread linked above where something like a wood splint, first aid kit, or the likes would cure a broken leg. A bandage could help you walk (instead of proning) for 15-30 minutes, painkillers for an hour, and morphine for 2 hours. That way when you get a broken leg it's not endgame. You actually get a chance, and it becomes a rush to try and find a splint or whatever it may be to fix the leg. As of right now, breaking a limb (which happens 90% of the time getting hit once by a random zombie you accidentally attracted, or when crawling through a door or next to a bush) means you have to respawn. Nobody has the patience to crawl to the nearest hospital if they don't have morphine, and with side chat gone it's impossible to ask for help. Unless, of course, you use these forums.

Yea I have to agree broken bones happen WAY to often for how hard it is to find morphine. Spent the better part of the last 2 days just looking for morphine because someone in my group constantly has a broken bone (had 4 out of 5 people all with broken bones at one point.) They were all from either from a single zombie hit at high blood or a stupid error.

Why not implement splints to game? this would make sense, since it's basic first aid skills, maybe it would not cure the fracture 100%, but it would make it possible for your character to walk and crouch, Running would be disabled since who the hell runs with a fractured leg? It could be implemented as a item(combine wood and bandage to make a splint, which in turn could be used to cure the fracture)

Also, the broken bones could be divided to 2 gategories, external and internal, where external fractures could be cured with the splint and internal would need morphine and bandages.

I think the height you fall to break bones is quite sad, i fell 1 meter the other day, if that and i broke my legs, today i somehow manage to walk through a railing and fall of some stairs, how the f**k did i walk through a railing? it was like it didn't even exist, i had decent gear, m16 with 4 magz and a lot of other stuff. In the end i wasted all my ammo then re spawned as i was not crawling for 3 hours just to get to the nearest town.

Morphine is very hard to come across and i haven't seen anything in quite a few days.

There are 3 hospitals. Crawl to them. I did. It's really satisfying when you do. I also found some basic tools too.

Morphine is hard to find ?

Found 5 of them since yesterday. Found 1 in a Deer Stand, 2 in a corpse, 1 in Stary and 1 in NWAF.

There are 3 hospitals. Crawl to them. I did. It's really satisfying when you do. I also found some basic tools too.

You cannot expect people to crawl for hours just to try and get to a hospital.

The problem I have with it is that outside of hospitals, spawnrates are way too low. You HAVE to get it before going inland though, because you never know when a zombie breaks all your bones the first time it hits you.

It's pretty annoying to be 100% healthy but having no ability to run or even walk. Hospitals are your only bet to get morphine and this pigeonholes everyone to visiting a hospital when they spawn.

Hospitals already attract a lot of well geared bandits, but when it gets known to more and more players that they HAVE to visit the hospital before heading inland there will also be more bandits camping out hospitals to shoot down survivors without gear. Without real chat channels it will just be lambs going to the slaughterhouse. There is no one that can warn you about those 5 bandits killing everyone that gets close to the Cherno hospital.

tl;dr

The way bones break and morphine spawns right now is pidgeonholing everyone to make a visit to the hospital before heading inland. This will be common knowledge in a short while, and will make hospitals shooting galleries (even more than they are now).

The basic point that I've tried to make before is that it can be, read CAN be, very difficult to get a weapon without at least taking a few swipes from zombies, and even more difficult to get all of your basic necessities without getting hit at least once (food, water, etc). You can be in Pigor right next to Cherno and that is STILL at least an hour crawl, possibly 2. What if you haven't found food or water yet? As of now it takes about 45-60 minutes for you to bleed from thirst. What if you're in the forest and you have 2 cokes and 2 frank and beans? You still don't have enough to reach a hospital.

All of that aside, nobody is going to crawl for three hours to reach a hospital and, at least on my end, I would definitely NOT feel a sense of accomplishment by reaching one. I would be pissed the whole time that I'm having to do this because of some crappy game mechanic. You sir, are one of few.

At the game start now' date=' if I don't have morphine and I get a broken bone, then for all practical purposes it's game over, time to respawn.

And unfortunately, because of the likelyhood of having no gun or a gun with no ammo, broken bones are common. And having no morphine is also common.

I'm tired of games where I crawl around carefully for an hour searching for guns and ammo, finally getting a gun and a little ammo, and then getting a broken bone from a zombie attack. I can be healthy, have some other great stuff, but an hour of effort is down the drain.

The broken bone mechanic sucks when you spawn without morphine. It'd be much more playable if you spawned with morphine instead of painkillers. Shaking a little is fine, but reducing starting players to a crawl when they're already at such a huge disadvantage makes no gameplay sense.

[/quote']

I have yet to break my bone upon spawning because i understand how to lose zombies without a weapon, which has been made incredibly easy.

You start with nothing for a reason. its supposed to be an obstacle to overcome to make a good start on a fresh life. Start handing out things now, and where do you stop.

Don't let the zombies fuck you up. Sounds like a smart ass answer, but its rather easy to pull off.

You used to see morphine sticks sometimes in houses along with other residential loot. I haven't seen this for awhile now. I think it would be helpful to have morphine drop back in houses and other places again. Right now, you end up funneling all the players to just a few locations and it is really easy to break a leg at this point.

Breaking bones is way too common. If i get shot with a rifle in the leg, im totally okay with that. But combine the random glitches in the game: broken bones when crouching through a door, zombie gets lucky and scratches your leg, etc; plus the rarity of morphine spawns makes for a poor dynamic.

I'm not a noob either. I left Cherno with 3 morphines, and haven't come by another one since. I've survived a ton of zombie hordes and bandit gunfights. I've been travelling town to town going north from Cherno to NW airfield to NE airfield and Berezino. First morphine, stand up from prone in the wilderness: broken bone. Crouch through a doorway in Stary Sobor, again. Last one: a zombie teleports to the 3rd floor of the school building in Vybor, slaps me once while im at full health and bam, another broken bone.

I'm lugging like 50lbs of gear through the wasteland and a zombie breaks my leg from a scratch/bite? No, I don't think so. My avatar appears to be a fit middle aged man, not a 90 year old with osteoporosis. Seriously tired of getting my legs snapped like uncooked spaghetti from every little thing. Also as was said before, morphine doesn't magically mend bones, it's just a painkiller.

For the love of zombie jesus, either make morphine a more common drop, on par with painkillers (cause that's what morphine is anyway). Or maybe make medic tents/hospitals/clinics with supplies a little more common.

In 1.7.2 rocket is making broken legs more rare. Thank the DayZ gods! For proof go read the upcoming changes thread

Beat me too it. Was gonna say another solution would be to read the upcoming changes to broken limbs in the next patch.

Beat me too it. Was gonna say another solution would be to read the upcoming changes to broken limbs in the next patch.

+1